Menu

Sorted it out, thanks!

PeterPan

I will preface this by saying that I can’t fathom cruising again. Even pre-covid I was starting to feel like I couldn’t do it with the reports of norovirus hitting a ship. BUT I have cruised many times and on different lines and had a blast. I picked look at other lines and ports matter most. My favorite line was Celebrity because I thought the food was the best and it just had a real classy feel IMO. Favorite for activities was Carnival. But we are much more interested in seeing different ports and islands than the stuff on board. However, with a larger group traveling together, activities on board would be higher on my priority list. I do miss cruising! 

• Like 2

I would choose by itinerary, BUT if I was taking a kid who would want to stay on the ship, I would choose by amenities. If, when you get off the ship, you're just doing beaches, it wouldn't matter to me where the beaches are. I like excursions!  I've only gone on Royal Caribbean so I can't compare.

• Like 1

The more people on cruise ships and at theme parks the less there are where I want to be. 😁 With my luck I'd get stuck on one with crazies that started a brawl. Lol I don't blame them, they were probably bored but..🤣

That being said, looking at your list I would say food. Make sure you pick one with good food. If you are going to be trapped floating with a bazillion people and no escape, at least make sure the food is really good and the kitchens are well attended and clean. 

• Haha 1

When we've gone, we choose by port BUT the first cruise we did, the kids were tiny/young, we were on a very basic ship (there was a pool.....and not much else), and so we hadn't experienced any kind of "enjoy the boat" thing (we did like the kiddy pool and mostly had it to ourselves) (oh, and of course the putt putt up top.). 

Our second cruise, we looked at a different line (Royal Caribbean) and found an itinerary we liked (and could afford), and booked that. And then discovered it had more to offer -- slides, a rock wall, ice skating, and assorted shows, not just the one. It was a lot of fun, and we enjoyed the boat days as much as the port days. (Plus, sushi on the buffet every night. Not an upcharge, just...there for the taking. So.Good.). 

So I think now I'd say Itinerary, but on a boat/line you'll like since you've got one who prefers boat days. 

• Like 1

It’s been 25 years since I’ve cruised, so I think all the ships were way smaller back then.  I don’t like the idea of the huge hotel size ships.  I’d prefer one of those barefoot cruises or a Mediterranean cruise. I’ve been to many of the islands on past cruises, and don’t have a huge desire to go back, even though I enjoyed them at the time.  If I did take one out of Florida, I’d be fine with one of those that goes to resort type island (like the one Disney has I think).  

• Like 1

Ports then ship.  I think it partly depends why you cruise. For us, it's to go to these islands we couldn't afford otherwise. My dh actually hates cruises,  but likes to travel and see new places...  So,I've gotten him on 3. We last did the eastern Caribbean with ports in San Juan, St. Maartin, Grand Turk and St. Kitts.  UNBELIEVABLE ports.  We were on the Horizon.  We wouldn't do another Jamica, Bahamas Cozumel cruise at this point, no matter the boat.  I have two teen boys, one with ASD.  They enjoy the waterslides, imax theatre, and food mostly.  The sky stuff is good once or twice, then you're done. Closed down a lot too.  Pools are just too small and crowded for kids to use. 

• Like 1

I choose Carnival Panorama for you, but I am concerned that I mistakenly chose the second option!  I hope not, because I do not want to mess up the numbers.

Panorama because, from what I know from your love of Disney, this gives that, plus enough on boat to satisfy adventure seeking, and a fresh itinerary.  I am also an optimist...so believe CA will be settled by then.

Have fun!  

ETA, Oh, I voted that you couldn’t pay me to cruise, now or ever.  I am more of an all-inclusive-resort person, although I have never done that, either.

Edited by Familia
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, frogger said:

That being said, looking at your list I would say food.

I'm with you! :biggrin:

2 hours ago, DeainUSA said:

They enjoy the waterslides, imax theatre, and food mostly. 

Yup, I think I need to defer to the ship that has the better on these. I think I may be narrowing it down. I've been crunching numbers trying to figure it out, lol. 

1 hour ago, Familia said:

Panorama because, from what I know from your love of Disney, this gives that, plus enough on boat to satisfy adventure seeking, and a fresh itinerary.  I am also an optimist...so believe CA will be settled by then.

Well I definitely need to do it. Just a question of when. :biggrin:

• Like 1

We have chosen different cruises based on different criteria.  Sometimes it has been particular dates that we had to have.  Sometimes we needed a particular departure port.  Sometimes we had a child who needed good on board options.  Once we had an elderly person who needed good onboard options but different types of amenities than a child.  Once we just wanted to get away and found the most economical option to do so.   We have been on large ships and smaller ships.  We have enjoyed them all.  Alaska was great for hiking at ports of call and beautiful scenery while on board but it would have been disappointing for someone looking for beaches and Reggae music until the early hours.  

DH and I had had a Baltic cruise scheduled during May 2020 that we had chosen specifically because of ports of call--there were several places we wanted to visit.  Hopefully we will be able to visit some of those places in the next few years.  A special cabin was never important to me.  In fact, the dark, quietness of a small interior cabin was somewhat of a sanctuary at times.  Now, I don't know that I will ever cruise without having a balcony room where I can get fresh air.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DeainUSA said:

We last did the eastern Caribbean with ports in San Juan, St. Maartin, Grand Turk and St. Kitts.  UNBELIEVABLE ports.  We were on the Horizon.  We wouldn't do another Jamica, Bahamas Cozumel cruise at this point, no matter the boat. 

Ok, these comments were kind of haunting me. I kept thinking I needed to do the Horizon to make ds happy, and it's true it has some snazzy features. However *I* like the spa on the Magic a lot and was drawn to the beachy itinerary. And it is less expensive and SKIPS the overdone Cozumel loop, hitting Half Moon Cay (which we've never been to but people say is GORGEOUS). So I went with my gut and took the lesser boat with the better itinerary.

And here's what cracks me up! Apparently I'm the rigid one here, because ds was all like Oh I will LOVE a small boat, I like beaches, and I don't really like being with so many people! So go figure. He's happy, I'm happy. Maybe the following year maybe we ramp it up again, hehe. I was just shocked at how flexible he was being. 

I don't think any of the options I was looking at were bad btw. At some point you just choose. It just cracks me up that I was so worried and he could see ways he could make it work. That was the whole point of this and here I was trying to out think it and make that element go away, lol.

• Like 2

• PeterPan changed the title to Sorted it out, thanks!