Menu

New Year's Eve Menu?

Ali in OR

I think there was a more general holiday meal menu thread, but I wasn't thinking about New Year's Eve then! And now it's time to shop--I think I'll do Costco today and the grocery store tomorrow. We're thinking appetizers, but not too unhealthy (we're tired of lil smokies and pizza rolls) and not too many leftovers (we're not good at leftovers and we'll be trying to return to our normal diets as quickly as possible). Here's what we've got so far--want to add maybe an item with meat? Chicken satay sounds good if I could find it at Costco (ie I don't want to make it). Wings don't appeal to me, but I have family members that might eat them.

Layered dip for tortilla chips (refried beans, cheese, tomatoes, etc)
Smoked gouda/fontina pinwheels made with crescent rolls (need to use up the second half of the cheese from doing these a few weeks ago)
Fruit--satsumas for sure and I'll see what the grapes look like at Costco (grocery store grapes haven't been looking so good--end of season)

To drink: mimosas and the last bottle of Martinelli's

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

Ummm.. why aren't y'all eating blackeyed peas? Don't you know how important that is?😋😋

Ok, I totally missed this. And I lived in VA for a number of years growing up and never heard of it. It's a thing where you are?

I went to Trader Joes and got bags of frozen chinese stuff. Good enough. However I have a bag of Ikea swedish meatballs in the frig and really like that idea too! 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

Ummm.. why aren't y'all eating blackeyed peas? Don't you know how important that is?😋😋

18 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Ok, I totally missed this. And I lived in VA for a number of years growing up and never heard of it. It's a thing where you are?

I went to Trader Joes and got bags of frozen chinese stuff. Good enough. However I have a bag of Ikea swedish meatballs in the frig and really like that idea too! 

Outisde of this board I'd never heard of it either.  I've never eaten a blackeyed pea in my life and wouldn't have a clue what to do with it other than boil it like other dried legumes.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

I've never eaten a blackeyed pea in my life and wouldn't have a clue what to do with it other than boil it like other dried legumes.

They also come frozen, which makes them more starchy. Not really a huge fan, but I'll eat if someone else cooks. :biggrin: Any great recipes from the lovers?

We are going (weather permitting) to the botanical garden to see their seasonal light display, plus some Chihuly are which is also lit for outdoor display. Our scheduled time is early evening, so dinner will be late and super simple. Soup with salad and/or sandwiches, most likely. I’ll make sure there are snacks for Ds, who will be the only one to stay up late. 

New Year’s Day: ham, rosemary white beans, warm curried fruit, scalloped potatoes, green veg, and a salad. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Carrie12345 said:

Junk food, lol.

We’ll have swedish meatballs for an early dinner, mostly because my mother was shocked to find out we didn’t have them on Christmas. But then it’s on to almost entirely frozen, processed crap because that’s how we roll.  The kids look forward to it every year.

The idea of processed crap sounded so good to us a few years back, but when we actually tried it, it was too much for our systems. We can't do that much processed. I like the idea of easy to make, but it's got to be easy on the body too!

1 hour ago, fairfarmhand said:

Not a west coast thing. I've heard of it, but that's about it. I don' think I've ever had a blackeyed pea.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

The idea of processed crap sounded so good to us a few years back, but when we actually tried it, it was too much for our systems. We can't do that much processed. I like the idea of easy to make, but it's got to be easy on the body too!

Oh, we suffer for it! Tradition. 😉 

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, ScoutTN said:

New Year’s Day: ham, rosemary white beans, warm curried fruit, scalloped potatoes, green veg, and a salad. 

This is a nice plan! I have a ham I had bought for xmas and didn't end up cooking. How do you do rosemary white beans? Are they soup or thick? Any secrets to your scalloped potatoes?

• Like 2

OK @Ali in OR @PeterPan and @cjzimmer1 Eating blackeyed peas is considered good luck for New Years Day. I use canned blackeyed peas and add a little jalapeno pepper and bacon. Always with cornbread. It's a Southern Thing, I think. Even the stores put blackeyed peas on sale this time of year. My family eats them all year though as a side item when I'm cooking like a meat and three kind of meal. I love blackeyed peas. 

https://www.thespruceeats.com/new-years-black-eyed-peas-greens-101706

Edited by fairfarmhand
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

This is a nice plan! I have a ham I had bought for xmas and didn't end up cooking. How do you do rosemary white beans? Are they soup or thick? Any secrets to your scalloped potatoes?

Got the bean recipe off the web, but I think I heard about it here. It’s a restaurant recipe copycat, but I don’t remember which one. Thick, not soup! 

I just use a recipe from a cookbook for the potatoes. Usually Betty Crocker or Joy of Cooking. I will need to adjust this time, though bc I’m trying to stay GF and tapioca or arrowroot work somewhat differently than flour in thickening a sauce. Thin sliced potatoes and a little onion layered with a white sauce made with butter and cream. Chives on top. Not tricky. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ScoutTN said:

Got the bean recipe off the web, but I think I heard about it here. It’s a restaurant recipe copycat, but I don’t remember which one. Thick, not soup! 

I just use a recipe from a cookbook for the potatoes. Usually Betty Crocker or Joy of Cooking. I will need to adjust this time, though bc I’m trying to stay GF and tapioca or arrowroot work somewhat differently than flour in thickening a sauce. Thin sliced potatoes and a little onion layered with a white sauce made with butter and cream. Chives on top. Not tricky. 

is cornstarch Gluten Free? That's what I typically use to thicken sauces.

22 minutes ago, Anne said:

New Year's Eve:  Chicken Pot pie & Salad, blueberry lemon bars, champagne..  🙂

New Year's Day:  Lasagna & salad, dessert TBD, more champagne... 🙂

I just bought champagne for our mimosas, and while I've had it to drink (often at New Year's), I think this is the first time I've ever purchased it.

• Like 3

We always do Trader Joe's apps for NYE, but they've got a crazy-long line out the door every time I drive by, so I finally said "SCRAP IT!" So now we're having:

• buffalo chicken dip and tortilla scoops
  • frozen taquitos and queso 
  • veggies and dip
  • apples and dip (cream cheese and brown sugar)
  • a pomegranate (idk why -- I saw it, I grabbed it)
  • peanut butter pie 
  • sparkling grape juice

We'll miss our TJ's macarons and chicken samosas, though. Those are a NYE staple.

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, fairfarmhand said:

OK @Ali in OR @PeterPan and @cjzimmer1 Eating blackeyed peas is considered good luck for New Years Day. I use canned blackeyed peas and add a little jalapeno pepper and bacon. Always with cornbread. It's a Southern Thing, I think. Even the stores put blackeyed peas on sale this time of year. My family eats them all year though as a side item when I'm cooking like a meat and three kind of meal. I love blackeyed peas. 

https://www.thespruceeats.com/new-years-black-eyed-peas-greens-101706

I am for anything that helps usher in a better year than the hellish one we have all endured with 2020.  I think I have a can or two of blackeyed peas and will be sure that we all eat them Friday.  Thank you!

• Like 2

We will definitely be having black eyed beans.   I have cinnamon whiskey (called Fireball) that is so good and will be for NYE and NY day.  Other than that, lots of sweets and junk food.    Saturday we will resume our healthy eating and good habits.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ditto said:

What is shawarma?  I have never heard of it.

It's Middle Eastern and usually consists of thin slices of meat served with pita, but we have it vegan style. We get super-spicy hummus and tahini to go with it, and top it with onions, tomatoes, lettuce, cucumber, red cabbage...it is so good!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dh has to work 12 hours both NYE and NYD, so he won't eat much. He takes leftovers to eat at work, and sometimes doesn't eat at all when he gets home. I'll just make a few appetizers:

Deviled eggs

Stuffed jalapenos

Something with puff pastry and brie to use it up

Ham and cheese sliders

No desserts as we are already back to eating healthy.

• Like 3

Growing up, we usually did snacky stuff.  We may do that for one of the meals, or maybe Chinese or some other carry out.  For the other meal I'm fixing gumbo - my kids recently discovered it and love it.  New Year's Day is a favorite meal at our house.  I'll do a pork roast or tenderloin with a mustard sauce and little biscuits to eat it on, hoppin' john (black eyed peas and rice), and something green...maybe sauteed spinach and roasted broccoli, or maybe a layered salad.  That will probably end up being for lunch, and we'll munch during the Clemson game that night.  When we do munchies, we do some combo of veggies or chips with dip, chocolate fondue with fruit, deviled eggs, sandwiches cut into quarters (chicken salad, roast beef, ham, whatever we have), meatballs, sliders (either with burgers, BBQ chicken or pork, or meatball), frozen egg rolls or homemade southwestern egg rolls, mini sausages, pigs in a blanket, mini quiches, pizza cut into small pieces, chicken nuggets...or popcorn.  You can never go wrong with popcorn at our house.  🙂    

• Like 3

NYE - we always have Chex Muddy Buddies.  I make a batch without peanut butter for dd and the rest of us eat the regular ones.  

NY day - I'll make sausage bread (dd's favorite food).  

I was doing really well with eating until Christmas Eve and then completely fell apart and have been eating everything in sight.  Too many tempting treats around.  My kids are all home and there is food out 24/7 and I just can't resist.  Hoping to get back on track on January 2nd and lose all this weight I've gained.  It's amazing how much damage I can do in just over a week.  We had Dairy Queen for dinner tonight and I have more in the freezer for tomorrow...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

NYE - we always have Chex Muddy Buddies.  I make a batch without peanut butter for dd and the rest of us eat the regular ones.  

We always make this for Christmas. 🙂 We finally got around to making it last night...and 24 hours later, we've snacked on it so much that it's already half gone! Yikes.

• Like 2

My mom was born on NYE so we always had fun food for her birthday. She’s been gone for years and it’s just me and dh, so nothing special. But New Year’s Day will be black eyed peas, cornbread, and hopefully some collards if I can buy just a little. What I wouldn’t give for two sides of collards with pot likker from Mary Mac’s Tearoom in Atlanta...way better than cooking them myself.  Collards for two is a pain in the butt. 

• Like 4

I'll throw in our menu for Dec. 30 for good measure, because it's DD18 (now DD19)'s birthday -- fettucini alfredo with grilled chicken and roasted broccoli, chocolate chip cheesecake (instead of birthday cake). I may try out my new bread machine to make French bread.

NYE -- pepperoni bread, pigs in a blanket, cheese puffs, sausage balls, apples and dip, veggie tray, cheese and crackers, leftover cheesecake and peppermint ice cream pie, plus the possibility of a kind of cookies that I didn't get made for Christmas but have the ingredients on hand, sparkling grape juice. We will watch a movie, so some will probably also have popcorn.

That sounds like a lot, but we already have the cheesecake and ice cream pie made, along with the sausage balls and apple dip. I will make the cheese puffs tomorrow (a day ahead).

NYD -- quiche for late breakfast; pork loin with mashed potatoes and veggies for dinner; leftover desserts and snacks for a third meal, if anyone is hungry for it.

• Like 4

NYE:  Cheese fondue.  Champagne chilled in snow.  If there is no snow nearby, we have been known to drive around and bring back a 5 gallon bucket full, dump it under a bush, plunk the champagne in for a quick photo, and call it good.  Chocolate pecan pie.

NYD:  Ableskivers.  Bacon.  Hike.  Craft thing (Danish heart baskets this year).  A fire throughout.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

We always make this for Christmas. 🙂 We finally got around to making it last night...and 24 hours later, we've snacked on it so much that it's already half gone! Yikes.

This is what happens with us - we only make it once a year and we pretty much gobble it up the first night!  Eek!  I'd rather not make it because it's too tempting for me, but it's a tradition my kids (adults now) love and expect.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Annie G said:

My mom was born on NYE so we always had fun food for her birthday. She’s been gone for years and it’s just me and dh, so nothing special. But New Year’s Day will be black eyed peas, cornbread, and hopefully some collards if I can buy just a little. What I wouldn’t give for two sides of collards with pot likker from Mary Mac’s Tearoom in Atlanta...way better than cooking them myself.  Collards for two is a pain in the butt. 

I would love to have this meal.  My problem is that no one in my family (parents, siblings, cousins, children) eat this way. I got the addiction because we lived next to a baptist preacher for several years  when I was little. I play with his son.  i don't remember what part of the South they were from.   I would get invited every Sunday to go to church with them.  I rarely went to a regular service. It was just too intense for me with the hollering and fainting.  But, I never missed a service that was followed by a social or pot luck.  The food those old  ladies cooked was so amazing; yams, greens, blackeyed, red beans,  chittlin, pig feet,  neckbones, cornbread, okra adnc corn, and all the other southern treats.  I was the only one in my family to ever go to  that chucrh. . I think my folks thought themselves too citified to hang out with the southern baptist. To get food like this now, I have to seek out soul food places. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, gstharr said:

I would love to have this meal.  My problem is that no one in my family (parents, siblings, cousins, children) eat this way. I got the addiction because we lived next to a baptist preacher for several years  when I was little. I play with his son.  i don't remember what part of the South they were from.   I would get invited every Sunday to go to church with them.  I rarely went to a regular service. It was just too intense for me with the hollering and fainting.  But, I never missed a service that was followed by a social or pot luck.  The food those old  ladies cooked was so amazing; yams, greens, blackeyed, red beans,  chittlin, pig feet,  neckbones, cornbread, okra adnc corn, and all the other southern treats.  I was the only one in my family to ever go to  that chucrh. . I think my folks thought themselves too citified to hang out with the southern baptist. To get food like this now, I have to seek out soul food places. 

Same here- nobody in my family eats like this. We moved to metro Atlanta in 1968 but my parents never adopted southern culture or cuisine, having been raised in Pennsylvania.  Dinner on the grounds at a Baptist church was some of the best food this Catholic girl has ever had. I felt very out of place as a teen, dragged there by a boyfriend, but the food was so good. My relationship southern food has lasted way longer than my marriage to that teen boy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicholas_mom said:

NYE - best corned beef sandwiches and rye  bread from the Philly area.  My dh grew up with this for NYE.  Also, shrimp cocktail, chips & salsa and I making this year eggnog cupcakes!

NYD - Cheese steaks, of course.  Being from Philly, this was a staple growing up in my teens. 

Are you making the cheese steaks yourself? May I ask how? Dd loves these, but not any kind of homemade version I've been able to do.

• Like 2

Are you making the cheese steaks yourself? May I ask how? Dd loves these, but not any kind of homemade version I've been able to do.

Sometimes we make them at home but this NYD -  so no cooking for us!  We still live in PA but not in Philly.  There is an Italian place where we have been getting our pizza this year and everytime we go in to pick up pizza, it smells like a place that would have good cheese steaks :)  Sometimes you can get a good cheese steak in the oddest places, not just in PA.

Do you buy the thin steaks like Steakums?  Dh likes to get the butcher fresh beef that is sliced thin at the supermarket.  But DH's Cheese Steaks are not quite the same as buying it in Philly.  Do you chop up the thin steaks while frying it up in the pan?

• Like 2

After eating a bunch of carbs over Christmas for a few days, & feeling like crap- I’m back on the keto bandwagon. Will probably do cauliflower pizza for dh & I with homemade pizzas for the kids. Our plans are to take the tree down and do a new puzzle after playing board games with the kids.

• Like 3