Menu

Everyday dishes. Do you like yours?

ScoutTN

I got Mikasa in a really straightforward pattern (some kind of creamy white) a number of years ago. Happy, no issues. However I'm really keen on Corelle and could like them for the right situation too. I got my mother a set of really adorable retro looking Corelle and she LOVES them. They're not heavy in her cupboard and they don't take up a lot of space. They fit nicely in her Bosch dishwasher. Just a win win. And they were maybe $40 a set on Target. I found the on the website because they weren't in the store. You can look there and also at Corelle/Corning outlets for pretty prints. Definitely don't limit yourself to just what you find in the store!

I got a set of white classic corelle bowls (Target, rather deep, not small cereal bowls) that my ds uses for snacks, ice cream, etc.. 

My Mikasa is French Countryside. It's very classic and I keep it out in vertical dish racks. I like that it's thick and sturdy and it was part of my design plan for the kitchen. I have another set of thinner dinner ware that I got when I got married. It's ok, but the pieces chip easily. We use it in our basement kitchen now for snacks, pizza night, etc.

Here you can see all the super cute Corelle prints!! https://www.corningware.com/products/6311/dinnerware-sets?sort_by=created&sort_order=DESC

Total aside, but if you like antique china sometimes you can find sets on the cheap...

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't suggest going out and doing this deliberately, but Corelle is break resistant. Overseas, I'm told Corelle is considered quite premium and people pay a lot to get their hands on it. My sister sold her Corelle when moving back from Singapore for $$$.

• Like 1

I have all white fiesta ware and LOVE it. My first set of dishes was Mikasa and everything chipped or broke within a few years. The fiesta ware is so sturdy. I did buy the pieces separately because I prefer bowls that are not in the place settings. The included bowls don’t fit well in the dishwasher IMO. So I made my own combo sets. 

• Like 2

I have blue and white plates displayed throughout my living area. Two years ago I replaced my old Corelle with the True Blue pattern. I got 20 place settings. I've never broken any, and I've also never run out with meals and dishwasher full. I really love blue and white, and the True Blue pattern makes me happy. I feel much more "put together" than when using my older plates. I had looked at Fiestaware, but the weight would not be good for my old cupboards.

• Like 3

My current dishes are from Williams-Sonoma - a white, beaded hemstitch pattern. Before that I had Johnson Brothers Regency pattern, which was off-white. I favor solid dishes over patterned and dishes that are sold "open stock" so that I can get single replacements if needed. The Johnson Brothers pattern is no longer manufactured, which is why I changed to another manufacturer.

• Like 2

I have 2 4 place dinners sets one in cream stoneware and one cheap white stuff.  I also have about 10 assorted toast plates from the second hand shop.  They seem to work.  I like the stoneware.  It wasn't expensive but I liked to deep bowl shapes.  But it all does the job.

• Like 2

We have these which we got for our wedding. I thought I could dress it up if we wanted to. We have replaced a few pieces, and they have kept the pattern for 20 years. My only reservation would be if they would stop carrying it. Also it is expensive for kids to use.   I have cheap Corelle knock offs from IKEA for the boys but I am considering getting the Corelle white for them. We have already broken a few of the IKEA dishes.  https://www.crateandbarrel.com/roulette-blue-band-dinner-plate/s250961?localedetail=US&storeid=757&a=1552&campaignid=9986587406&adgroupid=100019505999&targetid=pla-907601920471&pla_sku=250961&pcat=HSW&ag=adult&gclid=Cj0KCQiAoab_BRCxARIsANMx4S5xcHhstRrSqvkLcgV9pceoKYOnzuK9ATCUX6onYYk9fDba7IoOLjAaAiEHEALw_wcB

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 3

I have fiestaware. I"ve had it for maybe ten years and I am happy with it. I started with just a few colors and over the years I have accumulated a pretty nice mix and match collection. I like that I can replace things and they don't have to match exactly and the casual nature of it suits us. I do like that I can just add a couple pieces here and there when I am itching for a change without changing the whole set. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, calbear said:

I wouldn't suggest going out and doing this deliberately, but Corelle is break resistant. Overseas, I'm told Corelle is considered quite premium and people pay a lot to get their hands on it. My sister sold her Corelle when moving back from Singapore for $$$.

I have the Corelle pattern the guy in the video has. I love them.  I watched the video because Corelle totally does break.  Not easily, but it does.  I’ve had a dessert plate break in 2 neat pieces and other dessert and luncheon plates break into a million tiny bits.  What I realized watching the video is I can’t remember breaking any of the large dinner plates like the guy in the video used.  No idea if it’s just coincidence or not.

One of the nice things about Corelle is it’s not too expensive to buy replacements when something breaks.

• Like 2

We use Corelle. I don't know the pattern. I don't have any need to love my dishes. I just want them to be functional for my needs--lightweight, load in the dishwasher easily, hard to break, and to hold food. Corelle excels at all of that. I have some stuff that's over 30 years old and have never had any of it break, but there are some chipped places around the edges of some of the oldest plates.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

there are some chipped places around the edges of some of the oldest plates.

Yes, this happened to my first set after about 15-20 years. It was from dishwasher wear. I've read that using liquid, non-citrus dishwasher detergent can help. 

• Like 3

I bought fiesta ware in white and love them! I went with the bistro set because 1) I wanted bigger mugs than the regular set has and 2) I like the deeper bowls. I like bigger mugs because I eat soup and cereal from them (in addition to coffee). I’ve had my dishes for several years and they still look great and have zero chips. We’ve dropped and broken two bowls, but that was on hard ceramic tile. I also later added buffet plates in blues and greens just to have some fun color with our lunch plates. I have some little fruit bowls in colors too for our lunches. I’ve been very happy with my purchase! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kristin0713 said:

I have all white fiesta ware and LOVE it. My first set of dishes was Mikasa and everything chipped or broke within a few years. The fiesta ware is so sturdy. I did buy the pieces separately because I prefer bowls that are not in the place settings. The included bowls don’t fit well in the dishwasher IMO. So I made my own combo sets. 

Which bowls did you choose?

I have fiesta and love all the colors.  I love being able to choose colors to fit my mood. 
Dh rarely uses the fiesta, and instead uses plastic prolon plates and bowls. His folks used those all through his childhood...until they passed away. And dh uses it.  I hate it. Our youngest kid is 26 so I have no need for plastic dishes.  So yeah, we have two sets of everyday stuff. 
Hope you find something you love!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, calbear said:

I dislike dealing with broken dishes, so I basically have just gone with using Corelle dishes in winter frost. I know it's boring...

Corelle winter frost is awesome. That’s our everyday dish, too. 
only downside is if you drop a corelle, they splinter into a million shards and take forever to clean up. 

• Like 3

I have corelle.  I like the pattern, haven't broken any, can grab 2-3 plates in one hand when emptying the dishwasher, and can stack a lot of plates in very little space. I will admit that we're not destructive and don't have tile floors.  They've survived raising two kids and only one of my children is coordinated.

• Like 4

I have Wedgwood bone china in a casual pattern. I love it. I also have several Corelle cereal bowls and some extra plates. I love the Corelle, too. I bought it so that we aren't sticking the china in the microwave as much. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 2

On our wedding registry, we asked for Dansk Maribo which we use every day. It's going strong thirty years later! We've added a few Dansk Bistro pieces as well as some Dansk Concerto, Tivoli, and Flora. These latter pieces (all white with blue accents) I've generally found at thrift stores.  We also bought white porcelain bowls from Crate & Barrel as the rimmed Maribo soup bowls do not work well for cereal and ice cream.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

I wanted to mention I have a stack of plain white Corelle pasta bowls. I had 6 and found 6 more at a thrift store. We use those for salads, pasta, and they are our go-to soup bowls now. They're used to warm up leftovers, too. Pretty sure they sell at least one pattern of those at Walmart.

• Like 4

When I bought new dishes, I looked for made in USA stuff since there were (still are?) issues with lead paint in dishes from China.  We went with Fiestaware and I now own gobs of it in all the colors. LOVE it and we've used it for years and years. We've had some break - not with "regular" use - but with dropping a plate/bowl on a tile floor! lol The good thing is that they are super easy and not expensive to replace! All the colors make me happy.

I do have plans to buy a set of all-white dishes. Since I've finally truly committed to getting rid of the china (after realizing lead will be an issue in the sets I've inherited from great-grandmothers if we were to use them frequently), I want a set of nice, all-white dishes. I actually have them picked out already (also made in USA), but the list is on my phone. 😄

• Like 2

I have been using Corelle for my entire marriage..45 years. I had winter frost white for 30 years or so, and switched to the Enhancements a while ago. I love that you can fit a lot of dishes in a small space, they easily load in my Bosch, and they are lightweight for my arthritic hands. I could not easily  handle heavy dishes anymore. Yes, we have broken a few in 45 years and chipped a few. Mostly I was bored with my first set, so I went with the  newer design. 

The two plain white sets  are pretty classic and there have always been replacement pieces readily available to replace or add to. Y set.

I had last minute guests coming for thanksgiving  one year...quick trip to Meijer and I had enough plates.

I use  cloth napkins daily to dress up the table.  I also have some colored dishes for serving pieces. 

Edited by KatieinMich
  • Like 3

Thanks for all the replies!

Corelle is practical, light, and very inexpensive. It's what we had growing up. But it does not make me happy. 😉

I like the idea of mix and match Fiesta ware, though it is heavy and more expensive. 

@JennyD I have a few serving pieces in a colorful pattern similar to the one that makes you happy. They make me happy too!

Still pondering and researching...

Eta: I have and use a set of good, white china that we received when we got married. But it can't go in the microwave or dishwasher and isn't practical for everyday use.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Thanks for all the replies!

Corelle is practical, light, and very inexpensive. It's what we had growing up. But it does not make me happy. 😉

I like the idea of mix and match Fiesta ware, though it is heavy and more expensive. 

@JennyD I have a few serving pieces in a colorful pattern similar to the one that makes you happy. They make me happy too!

Still pondering and researching...

Eta: I have and use a set of good, white china that we received when we got married. But it can't go in the microwave or dishwasher and isn't practical for everyday use.

Funny I grew up with Corelle and it does not make me happy. In fact, when I was getting married my mom insisted I get Corelle as it was the best and nothing else made sense. So I had Corelle for the first fifteen years of marriage and then I switched to Fiesta. 

I am always surprised by how much people love their Corelle. But then I think that it is basically is one of my low level rebellions against my upbringing and the fact that my mom insisted I register for it when I got married. 😂

I don’t know if I could go back. I really like the colors and I will reach in and choose the colors that compliment my food. Haha. If we are having a red sauce I don’t use my red plates. If we are having mashed potatoes I’m definitely going with one of the bright colors. I am at the point where very small things make me happy!

• Like 6

I have some Corelle, my husband loves it, me not as much, so it is in the drawer that when kids were little they could reach and use for lunch and snacks.  I used to have Mikasa French Countryside.  I really liked them and they went with everything but through the years some broke and we didn't have enough for large family get togethers so I gave them to older sons as they moved out and bought Villeroy Boch  that is white from Marshalls, HomeGoods and TJ Maxx.  I was able to get  what I needed.  I love them.  Last year I saw some Denby in a blue gray color at Marshalls, etc that  I really liked so I got pieces of that set until I had enough for our family dinners.  I really like them but they are very heavy and take up a lot of space but I'm enjoying having something other than white dishes for awhile.

As you see I have a problem with too many dishes.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You might think this is dumb, but here goes. For years, I've bought dishes at Goodwill. The Goodwill people tape the sets together so you can get a full set. Or a full set of just plates. Or a full set of bowls etc.

Over the years I've found some gorgeous patterns.

And of course the prices are awesome.

W.

• Like 8

I’m just popping in again to say I love all of these replies! I look up everyone’s dishes that they mention bc I truly adore dishes! @easypeasy I’d love to see the white you’ve picked out! I, too, went with fiesta ware a few years ago bc I was looking for made in the USA (and I wanted white). I don’t remember having many choices, though, so I’d be curious about the ones you found. 

@Margaret in CO the dishes you and your dds have are lovely! I especially like those blue rimmed ones that your last dd got. 

@Calm37 my BFF *just* sent me a picture of the new dishes she got for Christmas and it was the corelle true blue pattern! So pretty!

I also really like those Mikasa French Countryside that many of you have.

Such a fun thread! @ScoutTN you’ll have to update on what you end up choosing!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Alicia64 said:

You might think this is dumb, but here goes. For years, I've bought dishes at Goodwill. The Goodwill people tape the sets together so you can get a full set. Or a full set of just plates. Or a full set of bowls etc.

Over the years I've found some gorgeous patterns.

And of course the prices are awesome.

W.

Not dumb! This was my first plan, actually. But what one can find at thrift is hit or miss and I really do not want to shop in person right now. 

• Like 1

I had the winter white and some of the old True blue for years.  When they updated the True blue plates a few years back, bought those and replaced the old plates and bowls.  Had already picked up the red rimmed bowls at Walmart and loved the cheerfulness.  Have picked up a few red  or white serving pieces along the way at TJ Maxx, so now when I open my cabinet everything's red white and blue.  Cheery to look at.  🙂

• Like 4

We started with Pfaltzgraff's Cappuccino which I loved.  However, the plates were very large and heavy.  The time the kids became old enough to help with dishes coincided with us getting hardwood floors and quartz countertops.  We began to see a lot of broken dishes.  So then I switched to Corelle's Winter Frost.  I just wanted something simple and found some sets on clearance at Walmart that only had 8 plates, 8 cereal bowls and 2 serving bowls.  Perfect for us as we didn't need anything else.  I also love how much less space it takes up in my cupboard.  We have only had one plate break in the 6 years we've had them but it didn't just break, it SHATTERED.  So that's something to be aware of.

• Like 3

I think it is so interesting how times have changed. When I was growing up, you had your everyday dishes and your fine china. Around the time we got married (20 years ago) many of us were transitioning toward just an everyday, or an everyday that you can dress up.  I love the idea of opening my pantry and seeing all the Fiesta colors, but I confess that I thought I needed "dressy" dishes, or at least dishes we could dress up, when we got married 20 years ago.  Now, I am so much more practical and understand completely all the reasons why people would choose a simple white, lighter weight dish. My kids use them, and they absolutely are so much easier to put away and take up so little space.  

• Like 3

I'm another with Mikasa French Countryside, and I really like it. My biggest complaint is that after awhile it gets grey marks on it and the glazing can develop cracks. My solution has been to keep a stack of new looking plates (it's really only the dinner plates) set aside for company or when I want the table to look extra nice, and then use the older ones for everyday. I can easily dress up my table with nice linens and crystal when I want to go fancy, and the dishes look great with all sorts of themes. If I do pick another set, it will still be solid white/off white. I love the versatility.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, cintinative said:

I think it is so interesting how times have changed. When I was growing up, you had your everyday dishes and your fine china. Around the time we got married (20 years ago) many of us were transitioning toward just an everyday, or an everyday that you can dress up.  I love the idea of opening my pantry and seeing all the Fiesta colors, but I confess that I thought I needed "dressy" dishes, or at least dishes we could dress up, when we got married 20 years ago.  Now, I am so much more practical and understand completely all the reasons why people would choose a simple white, lighter weight dish. My kids use them, and they absolutely are so much easier to put away and take up so little space.  

I have fancier glasses that I bring out for holidays, but you're right that I don't use my china so much anymore. 

• Like 3