Menu

Movie Recs!

sheryl

We stumbled across "The Professor And The Madman" while searching for a movie this past Wed.  The cover Netflix used didn't necessarily grab my attention but I LIKE Mel Gibson.   I don't watch a lot of Sean Penn's movies but I heard years ago that he was then an excellent actor and always remembered that tribute.

WELL, would you like to know my 2 cents?  Would ya?

It was sensational!  What an interesting pair - Gibson and Penn.  But, it was cast so perfectly.  Mel Gibson imo is a good actor.  Sean Penn knocked it out of the park.  Jaw dropping!   It's based on a true movie  story; based on "real life" which dh and I like.  There was nothing "bad" in the movie.   I don't recall any swear words, no s, no gore except one scene which involved an accident.  It was such a great movie with a few, wonderful messages.   

I can't say enough good things about this movie.  Class dismissed; now go watch the movie! 🙂  

Edited by sheryl
  • Thanks 1

thank you! we're always hunting for movies to watch, and this one sounds good. 

I have nothing to add to the list....we watched Tenet recently, and it was good but weird. We made the boys watch the Matrix trilogy, which was good, though we had to explain dial-up internet. We watched Love & Monsters which we thought would be cheesy/"young" for our crew, but we all enjoyed it. Cute movie. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Twigs said:

What movie is it based on?

Based on a true story (not movie, sorry).  Based on "real life". 

Based on the 1998 book `The Surgeon of Crowthorne' by Simon Winchester, the life of Professor James Murray is portrayed as he begins work on compiling words for the first edition of the Oxford English Dictionary in the mid-19th century. 

• Like 2

On 12/27/2020 at 10:48 PM, history-fan said:

Just watched "Soul" and the new short "Burrow" both on Disney+. Both are really very good. The animation is really done well and the story line is about finding your purpose/soul. We will probably watch again.

oooh! This sounds good. We were wondering if it would be too young or not; sounds like not. (i.e., sounds like it will be good)

On 12/27/2020 at 6:46 PM, sheryl said:

I think you'll like it!  DH and I are always on the hunt for movies like this!  Hope you like it.  LMK if you do.

thanks, I will! 

Yesterday was His Dark Materials new episode, tonight the kids have slated in Magnificent Seven (the newer one, not the original), but tomorrow is open so I'll suggest it for then. With DH off these 2 weeks we are watching So.Many.Movies. 

(either that, or we'll use it for our NYE movie when the 2 younger boys will be with friends, and just us and our oldest will be movie watching)

• Like 1