Menu

Are goals for 2021 even a thing?

Carrie12345

I mean, anyone who wanted to learn how to bake bread surely did this year, and no one really knows what comes next!

My quarantine goal was to work on collecting CLEP credits but, with so many testing centers closed and limited around me, I’ve mostly shoved it off. I do want to come up with a plan though.

I still have the goal of trying to find a new house, but no telling what we’ll be able to do with this one if foreclosures start rolling in and pushing us out of selling competition. We always said we’d like to try to keep this one, but I had been getting over that idea.

My house is already mostly decluttered, so no *major projects there.
I refinished my table this summer. It’s already chipped. 😛 
I have a freezer full of homemade meals.

I dabbled in soap and candle making, but don’t have enough room to get real deep into that.
My manicure skills are on point.
My house has never been more frequently vacuumed.

I’m feeling very uninspired.

• Like 9

I have just started a thread about getting rid of all/most of my major project pieces.    I will do minor projects, like decorating.    I am working on some of that now.

Goals for 2021:

• Finish National Board certification
  • Decorate some
  • Donate pool table
  • repurpose the pool room
  • start exercising again regularly
  • Praying we can finalize adoption of our FS
  • Declutter attic and organize
  • Like 5

I am looking forward to 2021 goals.  I love the optimism of a new year.

• Every year my health gets top spot for goals, but I do feel this year will be different.  In 2020, I experimented in Alternate Day Fasting and I think it is doable for me going forward.
  • I am getting more ruthless in decluttering my house.
  • I am focusing on retraining to get back into the workforce.
  • I am more adamant that family members do their share of house work (with the intention of a smoother transition when I do return to work)
  • Being more intentional on achieving family goals by having bi-weekly dates with my husband.
  • Like 7

I love new year goals.

Usually I make big exercise goals but haven't been feeling great lately so I'm not even sure what to make as a goal there.

With being home more I've put more time into all those home skills and have enjoyed that (cooking, cleaning, general running the house). I can't think of goals though, more keep on, keeping on.

We have several financial goals we'd like to meet. 

I'd like some family focused goals but I'm not sure what.

• Like 6

Normally when I new year starts I am so hopeful and just excited.  This is not the feeling I am having for 2021.    Everything I have been reading lately is not really that happy for the next year.  I think everyone just thought we would get back to our normal lives come spring.  So yeah I don't really have any goals, because so much in life is on hold or you can't do. 

Keep decluttering the house

Keep improving our house

Exercise for everyone in the house

Look for a new home

Keep on coasting with our financial life- Covid does save you a lot of money

Go on a vacation.  Even if it is just renting an airbnb on a few acres somewhere in the state

Keep on surviving a pandemic

Enjoy the slow life and all the time we have together

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Carrie12345 said:

Ooh, I forgot about photo organizing.
That was the one project I did everything to avoid this year. I suppose it should be put on my list.

Oh, that is on my list too. I'm tired of having all our photos on hard drives and the cloud. I want to surprise dh with a book from our Europe vaca, he'd love that.

10 minutes ago, BusyMom5 said:

I'm going to work on exercise and diet for my whole family- we are starting a health unit when we start back with school.  

Other than that, I'm not thinking further than spring!  

I do plan to figure out a family vacation that's mostly Covid-safe.  We need one!!!

I want a vaca too, we'd already planned to keep it pretty low key and to ourselves so I think by late spring early summer we can pull that off.

• Like 4

I'm trying to figure out my deeper desires, and choose pandemic-friendly goals based on that. While a normal year's goal might be to save and plan for a vacation, this year I'm acknowledging that my wanderlust and drive for novelty are just as strong as ever (probably more so, actually!) but need different outlets. So I'm planning to do segment hikes of a long, looping trail that circles my state, explore different food vendors in the phenomenal indoor market in my city (which I used to go to before kids, but haven't been in years), etc. 

I'm also going to tie my need for novelty in with a more typical goal--to get in better shape and lose my Covid weight gain. I made a list of shows I want to watch that I doubt dh or my teens would like, and I'll only watch them as I ride the stationary bike or stretch and lift weights in the basement. Adding the novelty of new shows that are just for me makes a humdrum goal seem like a lot more fun. 

It's taking more journaling and thought to figure out the desires that drive my goal-setting, and then to find realistic-but-genuinely-appealing goals that meet those needs, but after feeling blindsided and thrown off course in so many ways by 2020, I feel much more excited and more at peace with my desires and prospects for the new year. 

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 8

Covid does make goal planning tricky but my goals can be reached regardless of where we are in terms of continued social distancing, a vaccine, and getting a handle on the virus.

• Learn to use settings other than "Auto" on my dslr camera. I have a workbook to go through and a website connected to the workbook, to help me. It's specifically geared towards "getting off auto" and will take the whole year (it's called A Year With My Camera).
  • Learn conversational Spanish - I've been using Duolingo and a program called Language Transfer, plus I bookmarked websites where I can read some children's books in Spanish. I plan to continue throughout 2021.
  • Shave 3 minutes off my walking speed. It's not a lofty goal as I currently walk a 20 minute mile. That's not awful but not great either. Three minutes though is more doable than trying for a 15 minute mile. And when I came up with it I wasn't really thinking in terms of short term but it works out to shaving off 30 seconds every 2 months, goals which I can surely meet. Walking is a good activity during Covid anyway plus I always bring a mask when I walk just in case I need it. I did need it once.
  • Like 6

I guess photos are a goal of mine. I have pulled 20+ years of photos out of 20+ albums when I had to evacuate for wildfires this year. They are now in photo safe envelopes in photo storage boxes, organized by year. My aunt bought me a scanner. I want to scan them all, give copies to each adult kid, make some photo books, and be DONE.

I need to find consistent exercise. Moving, health issues, quarantine, wildfires, none of those are conducive to anything consistent.

I'd like to grow my business.

I'd like to make our 1,000 sq ft house work better for us (4 people).

• Like 5

Good question about whether goals for 2021 are even a thing.  I have to spend some time contemplating this when I don't have a headache.

I guess it is possible to set goals when you can't control everything like normal.  I mean, I used to have to set career goals that felt mostly out of my hands.  😛

Some things I strongly hope - not real fancy here:

• 2 kids finish the 9th grade, including all of their HS arts and PE requirements, with good GPAs, and pass the algebra I final exam that is required for graduation.  Maybe get ahead by doing geometry as summer school.
  • In TKD, I move up to 2nd dan and my kids move up to 3rd dan.
  • I continue my recent pattern of walking outdoors, try to do yoga most days, achieve more healthy weight, posture, and strength, finish my Invisialign program, and schedule all my age 55 health screenings.
  • Read daily, something other than work stuff.
  • Complete my biannual CLE training (2021-22) and triannual CPE training requirements (2019-21) before the latter becomes an emergency.
  • Community service work.  Maybe be an election worker again, maybe something else ....
  • It would be great to get caught up on mundane maintenance stuff, like purging everything we don't need in the house, clearing / filing every email in every mailbox, getting ahead on routine client work instead of always worrying about deadlines.
  • It would be awesome to have a spa day in a post-mask world.
  • Also go back to church in a post-mask world.
  • Learn to play my new guitar and understand Korean.
  • Send out Christmas cards before Christmas???
  • Like 4

I have no idea what goals to set for 2021. I had several very specific goals for 2020, but Covid wiped them out, and they are not something I can simply move to next year. 
I have no desire to change my eating habits, lose weight, embark on an exercise regime, and my house does not need decluttering.
On my search for a major life change, I feel completely stuck. I was going to try out temporary occupations or apply for artist residencies; those will not be possible next year either.
I'd love a good goal that is not just a box to check, but something I actually want to strive for. Not just another accomplishment to prove to myself that I can. And not just an item on a to-do list; that doesn't count as a "goal".

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

Continue to keep our family healthy and avoid covid. 

Keep the kids progressing academically.

Find the right house and buy it.

Somehow establish a new community of friends when we move. (I expect that may be impossible for quite some time.) 

I would love to plan a vacation, but I don’t want to set myself up for disappointment. 

• Like 1

I really need a new planner and I had one on my Christmas wishlist, but didn't get it.  To be fair, I only shared it with older ds, and he and the other kids pooled their money to get me one big gift, so I'm ok with that.  I'll just have to order it for myself 🙂

Some little things...

bed between 9-10pm and read for 30 minutes before sleep

take an interesting online course each month

walk with dd 5 days/week (trying to help her with her health)

be patient with my shoulder rehabs so I can get back to full workouts and eventually playing (when COVID restrictions are lifted)

start a weekly family game night - cards, dominos, a board game, or even an online game... something where whoever is home joins in.  Ds, his gf, dd, and I actually played 3-4 different games tonight and had a great time. 

attend more festivals/museums/events once they start up again - with family or friends

BIG JOBS

organize my closet - includes photos, my clothes, and kids' clothes

LEGO - sort it or sell it (such a huge job)

Organize my coaching resources/notes

• Like 1

My 2021 goals are very fluid due to some work/life situations that won't be resolved anytime soon. I'm working on little goals, like rearranging my home office, helping ds set up his home gym in a different room, and culling my wardrobe. I also bought the Spencerian penmanship books, so I'm working through those. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Farrar said:

There's a meme I've seen going around in a couple of different forms that says:

"Nobody claim 2021 as "your year." We're all going to walk in real slow. Be good. Be quiet. Don't. Touch. Anything."

That's sort of how I feel about 2021 goals.

I saw this meme and agree that it is how I feel too.

My 2021 word is "heal" so I will make efforts towards that, but don't consider them goals.

• Like 2

After trying to dress cute-but-still-quite-casual a few times over the holidays, I've decided that my goal is to wear actual pants at least twice a week. You know, with zippers and buttons and everything 😄

On 12/27/2020 at 7:11 AM, historically accurate said:

Decide what I want to do with my life hahaha! But seriously, decide what I want to do with my life. My goal was always to retrain or recertify when my youngest reached high school, so I could reenter the work force when she graduates. Well, she'll be a freshman next fall, and I have no idea what I want to do. 

I recommend trying out some temp or contract work here and there, if possible. It's really difficult for most people to figure out what they want to do without at least a bit of time in the trenches. I tried out several different new things after youngest graduated, and a couple of them that seemed like they should be great fits had me running for the door, lol. I was very glad I didn't put out time and money for a certificate or whatever. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We're focusing on health this year. Everybody is getting thorough physicals and addressing all health concerns. Exercise and sleep routines. Supplements figured and made a routine and a more balanced diet and better food choices. Food allergy tests and/or elimination diet. This is going to a BIG DEAL and focus.

My oldest has been a bear to get motivated to do anything lately. Finally got him medicated for ADD, and it's helping. He said today he's able to focus on a conversation more and fewer things are running through his mind when conversing. He thinks he may need a higher dose than 5mg, but we're not going there until he does some dietary and physical intervention stuff. No that he's medicated, I think that's doable. Goals I'll be helping him with are: elimination diet to find out food sensitivities, exercise action plan (some say more even more helpful for ADD than diet), good sleep hygiene and routine, balanced diet, less sugar (especially candy with artificial food coloring and other ingredients) and if sugar trying to have it right after a meal or with fats, etc.

Edited by IfIOnly