Menu

Math Supplement

Dstahn236

Hello all!

I have done a decent amount of reading on this site over the last 6 months as we try to decide how best to educate our kids. And I want to thank you all for your insights and willingness to share experiences (good and bad). 

My daughter is 5 and is in a preschool right. Her school next year will be starting everyday math with redbird and I know lots of people have strong feeing about this system. I have found a few posts about supplementing this at home but they are on the older side. 

my plan right now is supplement with SM dimensions but I was wondering if anyone has had good experiences filling the holes that everyday math leaves behind. 

thank you for your help!!

Games are my suggestion as well. And using math in the home- cooking, setting a table, projects, etc. 

Especially in kindergarten there may be a lot of writing during school and play and real life are best as supplements in my opinion. 

If supplements are needed after a full day of school I would focus on phonics instruction as that most likely will not be taught. 

What lulalu said about phonics. 

I think you'd enjoy reading books by Peggy Kaye about games for learning. Even if you don't do them all, she's really creative about using everyday materials to engage the math brain in fun ways. 

You might also like Bedtime Math. http://bedtimemath.org/ I never do it at bedtime, because my brain doesn't work at that time of day, but it's a fun well of ideas.

Thank you all for your replies!!

15 hours ago, desertflower said:

Hello!  Welcome aboard!

Well, when my kids were that age, I had planned math games as a supplement.  Sum Swamp and sleeping queens come to mind.

I have other stuff, but can honestly say that I just didn't have time to use them.  Like Rightstart math games and Peggy Kaye math games. 

Hopes this helps.

I will definitely look into games as a supplement. I have definitely heard good things about Peggy Kaye before, so I will look into those

14 hours ago, lulalu said:

Games are my suggestion as well. And using math in the home- cooking, setting a table, projects, etc. 

Especially in kindergarten there may be a lot of writing during school and play and real life are best as supplements in my opinion. 

If supplements are needed after a full day of school I would focus on phonics instruction as that most likely will not be taught. 

We have really enjoyed using math while setting the table and cooking!! She really enjoys doing that! We do some zoophonics now and that is what she will use in school. I like their curriculum style with that. We also have about a 20 minute commute in the morning and do lots of phonics practice in the morning to help with that as well!!

11 hours ago, elroisees said:

What lulalu said about phonics. 

I think you'd enjoy reading books by Peggy Kaye about games for learning. Even if you don't do them all, she's really creative about using everyday materials to engage the math brain in fun ways. 

You might also like Bedtime Math. http://bedtimemath.org/ I never do it at bedtime, because my brain doesn't work at that time of day, but it's a fun well of ideas.

I have never heard of bedtime math before. I will have to look into that as well!!

19 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

So... personally, I take a slightly different tack. I'd figure out what concepts you want to communicate, then I'd pick games to match that. 

Do you have a sense of what you'd like to teach her next year? What concepts would you like her to become fluent with? 

So my DD5 is pretty bright. I feel (though it might just be me being a hopeful parent). She has a pretty good sense of numbers, she can count to 100, knows how to count by 5s and 10s, and she’s starting to get an understanding of basic addition. I really just don’t want her to fall behind or start disliking/feeling like she’s bad at math (if that makes sense).

I just don’t know how best to approach that and I figured if anyone did, it would be the amazing parents that do this as a full time job. 🙂

21 minutes ago, Dstahn236 said:

So my DD5 is pretty bright. I feel (though it might just be me being a hopeful parent). She has a pretty good sense of numbers, she can count to 100, knows how to count by 5s and 10s, and she’s starting to get an understanding of basic addition. I really just don’t want her to fall behind or start disliking/feeling like she’s bad at math (if that makes sense).

It absolutely makes sense!! I was also very worried about that. It’s part of the reason we started homeschooling.

21 minutes ago, Dstahn236 said:

I just don’t know how best to approach that and I figured if anyone did, it would be the amazing parents that do this as a full time job. 🙂

Makes sense!!

I’ll tell you what I’m working on with my accelerated 4.5 year old, and you tell me if those sound like potentially useful concepts to you. (I also have an 8 year old working on algebra, so this program has worked at least once 😉 . But I obviously have accelerated kids!)

Anyway, concepts for DD4:

— counting on for adding (so, adding small numbers to other numbers without counting from 1: doing something like 11+ 2 quickly.)

— place value — breaking numbers into 10s and 1s by how they are written.

— subtraction as “taking away.”

— the meaning of an “equals sign” 

— basic variables via “shapes” you fill in.

If any of this sounds interesting, I can explain how we approach these 🙂 .