Menu

What prepping projects are you planning for 2021?

saraha

So far for 2021, we want to build some raised beds and change the layout of our garden, raise pigs again, build another chicken coop so we can try to hatch our own chickens instead of ordering chicks and plant more fruit trees. We planted fruit trees in the spring, but one of the pears died so far and we will have to replace that since they need a companion for pollination. A friend has promised that we can dig up some of her raspberry and blackberry canes, so we are going to try that too.

Oh, and we acquired some barrels to turn into rain barrels, just need to do it.

What projects do you have planned?

• Like 1

I’m having a really hard time planning because I’m hoping to move!  If we don’t find something in the next 1-2 months, I think we may wind up building, but I’d much rather get in somewhere more quickly and start planning a new garden and fruit trees.

In the meantime, I keep going back and forth between letting our “preps” dwindle down a little in order to have less to move and continuing to top things off.  It’s frustrating.

• Like 1

We don't have any non-portable prepping plans right now, because we hope to move in 2021. I'm focusing on hydroponic growing indoors. As I mentioned in another post, I bought another Aerogarden that I will try lettuce in. I want to try bell peppers hydroponically and something else. I'm not sure what, though. 

• Like 2

We just ordered some grow lights and one of those indoor green house shelf things. We are going to try starting our own seeds indoors. We tried starting tomato and pepper seeds outside in a tobacco float covered in plastic, but a freak late frost was too much for them.  Then we ended up getting some straggly looking plants because even the amish way out in the middle of nowhere were picked over.   Miss Lemon's hydroponic setup finally gave me the push. Since it will have to go in the cellar, it will be dh's job to take care of it, so yay! Haha

I grow most things from seed, but I have to get tomato and pepper plants already started, buying the set up was less than what I spend in one year on those.

• Like 1

Oh cool, let me know how your set up works out! 

I have basically taken over the hydroponics from DH. He orders all the pumps and makes the tubs for me, and I fiddle with the plants. Learning this has been interesting! I am sure my plants aren't as "optimized" as they could be, but I am pleased with our results so far.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/10/2021 at 3:16 AM, Melissa in Australia said:

we have been trying to live as self sufficiently as possible for many years now. so no new projects planned

Have you guys ever raised your own chicks? It seems easy enough, I just can't seem to get the nerve.

We have raised both meat chickens and laying hens, but we always ordered our chicks. I would like to hatch out either really. Just don't want to have to order them anymore. We butcher our own meat chickens, but our layers live out their natural life.

We had a house cow for years, we also raise hogs every other year, but we buy piglets. We tried to breed our own sow once, but it was awful finding anyone to "do the job" for just one sow, so we went back to buying piglets.

Edited by saraha

HUGE shift in my township! The next meeting will handle a proposed change to ban roosters, but bring the land requirements for hens down from 2 acres to 1.

Most of our twp is private communities that can still (and do) have their own rules against it, but we’ve been looking at the most laid back community in the area, which is most likely to bend. So there’s still a chance that I might someday be able to have chickens even though the land I *really wanted is seeming out of reach. 

Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

We were fortunate enough to have a hen go broody and watched her raise 5 healthy chicks. It was a great experience much easier than buying chicks. Unfortunately four of the five were roosters.  In the garden, we have been transplanting the blackberry canes that pop up everywhere.  We planted a persimmon tree 2 years ago and harvested ONE fruit last year so we are giving it lots of attention this year. The first tray of pepper seeds have been started. All the other veggies seeds will be this week. I bought two horseradish roots as a fun project.  They are in a bin in the portable greenhouse.  I think I'm seeing a small bit of growth on them. I downsized the garden 2 years ago, now I want more beds again so that will be the main project (building and filling). I'll continue to add bat and butterfly attracting flowers. The projects never seem to end, but are a fun respite from schooling. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...