Menu

Year long Bible reading thread

Scarlett

Once again, I can't find it.  I wanted to report that I think I am going to make it.  I have a 4 day weekend coming up and another week beyond that.  I have already printed off my schedule for next year and I am determined to do it again and stay on top of it better. 

How is everyone else doing?

• Like 5

Good job!! I finally got mostly caught up on mine. I was having some brain fog when my thyroid went wonky, and I had to get CAUGHT UP. Took some late nights, but I'm back on track. Not sure what I'm doing next year, haven't thought that far. I really like the structure of the pre chunked readings. This was my first year trying chronological and it kinda KILLED me with the forever, forever, forever through the OT, oh my. Like I finally GET why the NT is such a Big Deal, because it was so long with messes before that! LOL I have a One Year regular and One Year chronological, so I'll just pick one or the other and use it again I suppose.

Actually, what I've been debating over is totally stupid: Prismacolor vs. Faber Castell colored pencils. I *think* I want to switch, but I need to pick colors and by some and decide. Hobby Lobby has the FC, and I think they might hold a point better. I really like using colors as I read. I pick a couple themes and read for them as I go. Gives me some continuity. I also thought about going really radical and getting a fine line black pen (yes?) to write notes in the margin. I've been writing with the prismacolors, and again it just doens't work out well.

I'm still chewing on the memorization ideas from the other thread. Need to make a game plan. I got so enthusiastic that I think maybe my ideas went beyond what ds is capable of. I may need to consider us separate humans and have my own plan vs. a plan for him. :biggrin:  

• Like 3

I completed my reading goals.  I did a 6 month overview of the entire Bible, then the book of Psalms and finishing with Proverbs.

Next year (meaning 10 days from now) I might slowly go through a study on the book of Mark and then work on a 40 lesson overview of the Bible for seekers and new believers who have no to very little Bible knowledge.   I have a friend in this category and I would love for her to join me.....but even if not, it will be good for me to do so I can tell her.

So this will be very different for me this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

Good job!! I finally got mostly caught up on mine. I was having some brain fog when my thyroid went wonky, and I had to get CAUGHT UP. Took some late nights, but I'm back on track. Not sure what I'm doing next year, haven't thought that far. I really like the structure of the pre chunked readings. This was my first year trying chronological and it kinda KILLED me with the forever, forever, forever through the OT, oh my. Like I finally GET why the NT is such a Big Deal, because it was so long with messes before that! LOL I have a One Year regular and One Year chronological, so I'll just pick one or the other and use it again I suppose.

Actually, what I've been debating over is totally stupid: Prismacolor vs. Faber Castell colored pencils. I *think* I want to switch, but I need to pick colors and by some and decide. Hobby Lobby has the FC, and I think they might hold a point better. I really like using colors as I read. I pick a couple themes and read for them as I go. Gives me some continuity. I also thought about going really radical and getting a fine line black pen (yes?) to write notes in the margin. I've been writing with the prismacolors, and again it just doens't work out well.

I'm still chewing on the memorization ideas from the other thread. Need to make a game plan. I got so enthusiastic that I think maybe my ideas went beyond what ds is capable of. I may need to consider us separate humans and have my own plan vs. a plan for him. :biggrin:  

I have a reading plan that takes you through the Old Testament once, and the New Testament and Psalms twice. I really like that you don't have to drag through say...passages on hairy sores in Leviticus and then think "Well...how do I apply THAT to my life." You always get some sort of application.

I'm considering doing a plan that takes me through the Gospels every month this next year. I kind of like that idea of focusing deeply on Jesus. But then I will need something else to read through the Bible in its entirety because I don't think I want to miss a year of that. 

I am on track to have read the Bible through this year for the tenth year running.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

I have a reading plan that takes you through the Old Testament once, and the New Testament and Psalms twice. I really like that you don't have to drag through say...passages on hairy sores in Leviticus and then think "Well...how do I apply THAT to my life." You always get some sort of application.

I'm considering doing a plan that takes me through the Gospels every month this next year. I kind of like that idea of focusing deeply on Jesus. But then I will need something else to read through the Bible in its entirety because I don't think I want to miss a year of that. 

I am on track to have read the Bible through this year for the tenth year running.

That is amazing. I am pretty proud of myself for meeting my goal this year considering all I have been through. It has actually been  soothing to me spiritually to bury myself in God’s Word  and shut my mind off to other things that have unhinged me. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

That is amazing. I am pretty proud of myself for meeting my goal this year considering all I have been through. It has actually been  soothing to me spiritually to bury myself in God’s Word  and shut my mind off to other things that have unhinged me. 

That is wonderful! I’m always so happy when people set a scripture reading goal and achieve it. Nothing—absolutely nothing—has changed me more than developing the discipline to read and study Gods word. The word IS powerful and will change us. It’s a love letter from our Father and every day he has something For us in it. I find scripture soothing to read as well. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...