Menu

Can someone recommend a hearty, flavorful vegetarian stew?

J-rap

Our dd, who we haven't seen in a year due to Covid, is making her way home for Christmas.  She has a lot of diet restrictions due to an autoimmune condition.  She used to do a lot of the family cooking when she was home ~ she's a terrific cook and appreciates good food!  I'm more of a basic cook, but I'd like to prepare something really yummy for her first night back (tomorrow).  I like using fresh vegetables and fresh herbs, and legumes are fine too.  I just feel all out of ideas.  It needs to be something fairly simple!

1 minute ago, Ottakee said:

My daughter made this in the crock pot and it was really good   it is more like a chili than a stew though.

IMG_20201221_100641.png

Chili would be great!  I actually started out looking for a chili recipe, but then fairly quickly became overwhelmed.  😄 

Almost any veggie combination you can imagine tastes great if you roast the vegetables in the oven first until they're starting to caramelize.  Chop them up, salt, pepper, any oil she can tolerate, roast at 350 for an hour.  Then make into any sort of soup you want.  Carrots, onions, and garlic are especially good this way and make everything taste amazing.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Katy said:

Almost any veggie combination you can imagine tastes great if you roast the vegetables in the oven first until they're starting to caramelize.  Chop them up, salt, pepper, any oil she can tolerate, roast at 350 for an hour.  Then make into any sort of soup you want.  Carrots, onions, and garlic are especially good this way and make everything taste amazing.

Interesting...  I made a recipe recently that required me to roast veggies first, before adding them to the main dish.  I didn't really understand why that effort ahead of time was necessary!

You know, in that circumstance I fall back on my larder.

Bean by Bean by Crescent Dragonwater has an outstanding chili beans recipe that stands on its own as a main dish and is meat free.  I make that in big batches and freeze it.  Also, those many bean soup bags in the bean aisle of the supermarket are awfully good and can be made with or without meat—again something I tend to have in the freezer.  And then there is my husband’s awesome spaghetti sauce, which uses a tomato sauce base but doctors it up with lots of fresh veggies and cooks for hours.  The meat is not added directly to it but served at the table, great for a mix of vegetarians and carnivores.  Also always in the freezer.

Of the three, the many bean soup is the fastest and easiest, so I’d go with that if I was shopping today.

• Like 2

Black bean soup. You can add a lot of veggies and it can be as thick as strew. If you add mashed avocado is gets beautifully thick and creamy. 

I add: can of black beans, 1 - 2 cups of chicken broth, can of diced tomatoes, can of corn, garlic, onion, sweet peppers, mashed avocado, cumin, chilli powder, salt, lime juice. You can also crunch some tostidos into it right before eating to make it even more thick.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 4

I do black bean soup regularly.  I start with dried beans, save the soaking liquid and add veggie stock (either storebought or homemade).  Add chipotle peppers, smoked paprika, separately-carmelized onions, a bit of tomato paste (more for color than anything else; too much bean turns sort of grayish).  After a couple hours simmering I scoop out most of the beans & onions with a slotted spoon and run them through the blender so it's all thick and creamy and smooth. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a bunch of fresh cilantro.

I also do a chick pea version of a tangine that I also do with lamb -- I actually make the two versions simultaneously for the v and omni parts of the family. Start a whole mess of fairly large onion chunks carmelizing in olive oil with garlic chunks and lots of cumin. While that's going, make a YUGE savory-mash-up of olive oil, cumin, cinnamon, saffron, kosher salt and curry.  Roll the chick peas in the mash-up until every bean is smeared and dripping; then set aside and do the same with the lamb chunks. Set the chick peas in a covered oven dish along with half the onions and a bunch of tomato chunks. Sear the lamb chunks until browned on all sides then set the lamb chunks up in its own oven dish with the other half of the onions and a bunch of tomato chunks. After they've been cooking for an hour or so, add a handful of sliced up calamata olives (THIS IS THE MAGIC INGREDIENT), the juice of a lemon, and the chunked up PEELS of a lemon (2ND MAGIC INGREDIENT) into both pans.  The lamb dish is better the longer it cooks; the chick peas only need 2 hours or so.  Serve on rice or couscous with lots of fresh mint and cilantro. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

You know, in that circumstance I fall back on my larder.

Bean by Bean by Crescent Dragonwater has an outstanding chili beans recipe that stands on its own as a main dish and is meat free.  I make that in big batches and freeze it.  Also, those many bean soup bags in the bean aisle of the supermarket are awfully good and can be made with or without meat—again something I tend to have in the freezer.  And then there is my husband’s awesome spaghetti sauce, which uses a tomato sauce base but doctors it up with lots of fresh veggies and cooks for hours.  The meat is not added directly to it but served at the table, great for a mix of vegetarians and carnivores.  Also always in the freezer.

Of the three, the many bean soup is the fastest and easiest, so I’d go with that if I was shopping today.

I haven't heard of Bean by Bean... Looks like she has some good-looking recipes on her website.  I'll have to dig into that a big.  Thanks!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

Black bean soup. You can add a lot of veggies and it can be as thick as strew. If you add mashed avocado is gets beautifully thick and creamy. 

I add: can of black beans, 1 - 2 cups of chicken broth, can of diced tomatoes, can of corn, garlic, onion, sweet peppers, mashed avocado, cumin, chilli powder, salt, lime juice. You can also crunch some tostidos into it right before eating to make it even more thick.

A good black bean soup is definitely an all-time favorite of mine.  It never occurred to me to add mashed avocado!  I actually have a bag of black beans on-hand that I bought at the start of the pandemic.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Pam in CT said:

I do black bean soup regularly.  I start with dried beans, save the soaking liquid and add veggie stock (either storebought or homemade).  Add chipotle peppers, smoked paprika, separately-carmelized onions, a bit of tomato paste (more for color than anything else; too much bean turns sort of grayish).  After a couple hours simmering I scoop out most of the beans & onions with a slotted spoon and run them through the blender so it's all thick and creamy and smooth. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a bunch of fresh cilantro.

I also do a chick pea version of a tangine that I also do with lamb -- I actually make the two versions simultaneously for the v and omni parts of the family. Start a whole mess of fairly large onion chunks carmelizing in olive oil with garlic chunks and lots of cumin. While that's going, make a YUGE savory-mash-up of olive oil, cumin, cinnamon, saffron, kosher salt and curry.  Roll the chick peas in the mash-up until every bean is smeared and dripping; then set aside and do the same with the lamb chunks. Set the chick peas in a covered oven dish along with half the onions and a bunch of tomato chunks. Sear the lamb chunks until browned on all sides then set the lamb chunks up in its own oven dish with the other half of the onions and a bunch of tomato chunks. After they've been cooking for an hour or so, add a handful of sliced up calamata olives (THIS IS THE MAGIC INGREDIENT), the juice of a lemon, and the chunked up PEELS of a lemon (2ND MAGIC INGREDIENT) into both pans.  The lamb dish is better the longer it cooks; the chick peas only need 2 hours or so.  Serve on rice or couscous with lots of fresh mint and cilantro. 

That tangine sounds amazing!  I love your quantities: "a whole mess" and "a HUGE savory mash-up"!!   😄    What do you set your oven at?

This is not at all what you asked for, but I am ADDICTED to it, and it can sit cold in the fridge for a few days and makes a great snack or lunch.  Serve with tortilla chips for scooping.  

Lentil-Pomegranate-Mango Salad

Approximately 1lb(2 cups) cooked black/beluga lentils.  I use rinsed canned lentils.

Seeds of 1 pomegranate

minced red onion, maybe a half onion as American red onions can be giant

Seeded, minced spicy pepper.  I think jalapeño would work fine, but the one I can get here is red, not sure what type it is.  

Handful of cilantro leaves, chopped

1 mango, peeled, cut into then slices then into bits.

juice of 2 limes, some olive oil, salt, pepper- mix to make dressing

Mix together all the fresh ingredients, then pour dressing over and toss.  Let sit 5 minutes.  It's ready to eat immediately, but stays good a total of 3 days in my experience.  I drain some of the liquid in the bottom of the bowl after the first serve, to help it last longer.  

It's like vegan cocaine.  

This is the original recipe if you'd like to see a picture.  Recipe is in French.  Don't cut the onion like they did for the picture, that's just for looks.  

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

This is not at all what you asked for, but I am ADDICTED to it, and it can sit cold in the fridge for a few days and makes a great snack or lunch.  Serve with tortilla chips for scooping.  

Approximately 1lb(2 cups) cooked black/beluga lentils.  I use rinsed canned lentils.

Seeds of 1 pomegranate

Seeded, minced spicy pepper.  I think jalapeño would work fine, but the one I can get here is red, not sure what type it is.  

Mix together all the fresh ingredients, then pour dressing over and toss.  Let sit 5 minutes.  It's ready to eat immediately, but stays good a total of 3 days in my experience.  I drain some of the liquid in the bottom of the bowl after the first serve, to help it last longer.  

It's like vegan cocaine.  

This is the original recipe if you'd like to see a picture.  Recipe is in French.  Don't cut the onion like they did for the picture, that's just for looks.  

This sounds GREAT.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

Seeds of 1 pomegranate

It's like vegan cocaine.  

OMG that looks delicious.  I need to make that.  

What do you serve it with?

Edited by BaseballandHockey
  • Like 1

When I want hearty, I make some variation of a poblano corn stew. 

I don’t do measurements when I cook but something like this:

8 cups water 
veggie bouillon 
1 onion 
Bell or shishito peppers 
poblano peppers 
sweet potatoes or butternut squash 
Frozen corn 
Wild rice or barley 
Thyme and maybe a dash of turmeric for pretty color

Simmer a couple hours

Meat eaters can add some shredded chicken for extra protein. 

• Like 2

Something a little different than what has been mentioned (and is a great favorite of ours) is Mushroom Bourguignon.  Here's one take from Smitten Kitchen and another one from NY Times.  I use those as a recipe template and make it my own,  using plenty of normal mushrooms (all that is available to me), coarsely chopped onions (no baby onions here either)  and extra carrots.  So, so good!

• Like 2

I make a lot of stews, both veggie and with meat.  My favorite veggie one is this tagine.   The original recipe called for fresh pumpkin and cooked dried chickpeas, but I always use a butternut squash and canned, drained chickpeas.  SO good; very hearty and filling!

•  5 lb. butternut squash
  • 2 bunches Swiss chard, thick stems cut out, leaves torn or cut into 3-inch pieces
  • Peel of ½ lemon, cut into strips
  • 1/3 c. olive oil
  • 1  large onion, finely chopped
  • ½ T. turmeric
  • 1 c. chopped cilantro
  • 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 t. ground cinnamon
  • ¼ t. cayenne pepper
  • salt and black pepper
  • 3   c. cooked dried chickpeas (or 3 15-oz. cans)
  • ½  c. chopped parsley

Peel, cube and roast squash at 400ºF for about 30-35 min, till just tender when pricked with a fork.

In a pot of boiling water, cook the chard for 1 minute.  Drain in a colander and set aside.

In a small saucepan, bring 1 inch of water to a boil.  Add the lemon peel and simmer 1 minute.  Drain and repeat. (Blanching removes the bitterness). Drain and set aside.

Increase the oven temperature to 400º.  In a large Dutch oven or flameproof casserole, heat the oil over medium heat.  Add the onion and cook until it starts to turn golden, 10 to 12 minutes.  Stir in the turmeric and ½ c. of the cilantro.  Add the tomatoes, cinnamon, cayenne, 2 t. salt, and ½ t. black pepper and simmer gently for 10 minutes.  Stir in the squash, chard, lemon peel, chickpeas, and 2 ½ c. of water.  Transfer the stew to a tagine or clay pot, if using; otherwise cover the cooking pot and place it in the oven.  Bake until bubbling hot, about 45 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking time.

Stir in the remaining ½ c. of cilantro and the parsley.  The stew shouldn’t be soupy, but if it needs more liquid, add a little water.  Taste for seasoning and adjust if needed.  Serve hot over rice or couscous.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VickiMNE said:

Something a little different than what has been mentioned (and is a great favorite of ours) is Mushroom Bourguignon.  Here's one take from Smitten Kitchen and another one from NY Times.  I use those as a recipe template and make it my own,  using plenty of normal mushrooms (all that is available to me), coarsely chopped onions (no baby onions here either)  and extra carrots.  So, so good!

I haven't made the NYT version but I can vouch for the Smitten Kitchen recipe -- it's excellent.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

Seeds of 1 pomegranate

It's like vegan cocaine.  

Just added it to my summer salad recipes!  Sounds so fresh and flavorful!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MEmama said:

When I want hearty, I make some variation of a poblano corn stew. 

I don’t do measurements when I cook but something like this:

8 cups water 
veggie bouillon 
1 onion 
Bell or shishito peppers 
poblano peppers 
sweet potatoes or butternut squash 
Frozen corn 
Wild rice or barley 
Thyme and maybe a dash of turmeric for pretty color

Simmer a couple hours

Meat eaters can add some shredded chicken for extra protein. 

This looks so good too!  Yet another one to add to my list!  (I unfortunately can't make it for my dd because she reacts to corn.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

I make a lot of stews, both veggie and with meat.  My favorite veggie one is this tagine.   The original recipe called for fresh pumpkin and cooked dried chickpeas, but I always use a butternut squash and canned, drained chickpeas.  SO good; very hearty and filling!

•  5 lb. butternut squash
  • 2 bunches Swiss chard, thick stems cut out, leaves torn or cut into 3-inch pieces
  • Peel of ½ lemon, cut into strips
  • 1/3 c. olive oil
  • 1  large onion, finely chopped
  • ½ T. turmeric
  • 1 c. chopped cilantro
  • 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 t. ground cinnamon
  • ¼ t. cayenne pepper
  • salt and black pepper
  • 3   c. cooked dried chickpeas (or 3 15-oz. cans)
  • ½  c. chopped parsley

Peel, cube and roast squash at 400ºF for about 30-35 min, till just tender when pricked with a fork.

In a pot of boiling water, cook the chard for 1 minute.  Drain in a colander and set aside.

In a small saucepan, bring 1 inch of water to a boil.  Add the lemon peel and simmer 1 minute.  Drain and repeat. (Blanching removes the bitterness). Drain and set aside.

Increase the oven temperature to 400º.  In a large Dutch oven or flameproof casserole, heat the oil over medium heat.  Add the onion and cook until it starts to turn golden, 10 to 12 minutes.  Stir in the turmeric and ½ c. of the cilantro.  Add the tomatoes, cinnamon, cayenne, 2 t. salt, and ½ t. black pepper and simmer gently for 10 minutes.  Stir in the squash, chard, lemon peel, chickpeas, and 2 ½ c. of water.  Transfer the stew to a tagine or clay pot, if using; otherwise cover the cooking pot and place it in the oven.  Bake until bubbling hot, about 45 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking time.

Stir in the remaining ½ c. of cilantro and the parsley.  The stew shouldn’t be soupy, but if it needs more liquid, add a little water.  Taste for seasoning and adjust if needed.  Serve hot over rice or couscous.

Well I decided to make this one!  This one sounds very different than other dishes I've made, and I like trying new things.  I actually prepped everything tonight, so it'll be easier tomorrow.  (Still need to do a little last-minute house-cleaning too.  :))  Question:  If I understand your recipe correctly, once everything is mixed together, you bake it at 400 for 45 minutes or so (until bubbling?)?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, J-rap said:

Well I decided to make this one!  This one sounds very different than other dishes I've made, and I like trying new things.  I actually prepped everything tonight, so it'll be easier tomorrow.  (Still need to do a little last-minute house-cleaning too.  :))  Question:  If I understand your recipe correctly, once everything is mixed together, you bake it at 400 for 45 minutes or so (until bubbling?)?

Yes, prep everything on the stovetop first (the most work is all that blanching of the chard leaves and lemon peel).  Oh, and also the recipe says to cut out the chard stems - well, I do, but then I chop them up and saute them with the onions rather than discarding them!  I couldn't stand wasting them! Then blanch the chard leaves and add later. 

Start with peeling, cubing, and roasting the squash and you can get the rest ready while it's roasting, then add it and put everything back in the oven. Then once that and the chickpeas and all get added, put a lid on and put the whole thing back in the oven.  I probably do less than 45 min, on convect.  I use a large cast-iron enameled Dutch oven and use the same thing on both stovetop and in the oven.  This makes a lot which is great because it is a bit of work, but so worth it because it's so yummy!  Leftovers freeze well.

I serve it over a bit of toasted whole-wheat Israeli couscous (that's the bigger kind).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Yes, prep everything on the stovetop first (the most work is all that blanching of the chard leaves and lemon peel).  Oh, and also the recipe says to cut out the chard stems - well, I do, but then I chop them up and saute them with the onions rather than discarding them!  I couldn't stand wasting them! Then blanch the chard leaves and add later. 

Start with peeling, cubing, and roasting the squash and you can get the rest ready while it's roasting, then add it and put everything back in the oven. Then once that and the chickpeas and all get added, put a lid on and put the whole thing back in the oven.  I probably do less than 45 min, on convect.  I use a large cast-iron enameled Dutch oven and use the same thing on both stovetop and in the oven.  This makes a lot which is great because it is a bit of work, but so worth it because it's so yummy!  Leftovers freeze well.

I serve it over a bit of toasted whole-wheat Israeli couscous (that's the bigger kind).

Thanks!  All the colors are so pretty together too.  🙂  I think it'll be a hit!

11 hours ago, BaseballandHockey said:

OMG that looks delicious.  I need to make that.  

What do you serve it with?

I'll just eat it on its own.  In my mind, it's a complete meal, but I know opinions vary on that issue!  😂  It's great alone, with tortilla chips, with crusty bread, and I'm sure it'd be great over a bed of lettuce.  It would be a great side for burgers or other grilled meat or a grilled cheese sandwich.  It has a Mexican flavor, so alongside quesadillas would work well.  That's what I'll be serving it with today (making my third batch in two weeks).  

Three out of my four kids will eat it, and two of those three actually really like it.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, J-rap said:

This looks so good too!  Yet another one to add to my list!  (I unfortunately can't make it for my dd because she reacts to corn.)

You won’t lose anything by not including corn. It’s the squash and barley (or wild rice) that really makes it for me. 🙂 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MEmama said:

You won’t lose anything by not including corn. It’s the squash and barley (or wild rice) that really makes it for me. 🙂 

You know, I was thinking about that...  But I do love a good corn chowder myself!  I thought it'd be fun to try it with wild rice.

• Like 1

re bringing family along into hearty soups and stews

1 hour ago, Soror said:

Listening for ideas. I love soups and stews, just wish the family liked them as much.

The trick is: excellent bread, big salad with some nuts or something to make it heavier, something to put ON the bread like good cheese or hummous or babaghanoush... and nothing else.  

They might look around expectantly for "more," but just smile pleasantly and blink. They'll get used to it.

(I actually sometimes put out a bit of smoked fish, or canned sardines or something as well.  But the key is to bribe them into a sated stupor with good bread.)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

The trick is: excellent bread, big salad with some nuts or something to make it heavier, something to put ON the bread like good cheese or hummous or babaghanoush... and nothing else.  

They might look around expectantly for "more," but just smile pleasantly and blink. They'll get used to it.

(I actually sometimes put out a bit of smoked fish, or canned sardines or something as well.  But the key is to bribe them into a sated stupor with good bread.)

I agree!  A good crusty bread, or homemade bread, is soooo good alongside soups and stews. 

• Like 2

On 12/22/2020 at 11:13 AM, J-rap said:

I agree!  A good crusty bread, or homemade bread, is soooo good alongside soups and stews. 

How did the tagine turn out? I'm considering it for dinner tonight.

On 12/22/2020 at 8:19 AM, Pam in CT said:

I agree, alas being gf the bread isn't quite as good and much more time consuming to make

• Like 2

This spice mix works well with any tofu and veggie dish. I make a huge jar of it and just liberally sprinkle it on my tofu scrambles. Quick and easy. It’s spicy but if spicy’s not for you, the cayenne could be reduced or switched out with a milder pepper. Aleppo might be a less spicy choice and it has a slightly smoky flavor.

• 2 tbsp brewer’s yeast
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp kalan amak, a sulphury salt that you might have to order online but it makes a difference in taste
  • 3/4 tsp turmeric
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, alisoncooks said:

This sounds amazing. I just added it to my grocery list this week. What do you serve it with? I'm thinking homemade bread, though some reviews in that site say noodles. 

I serve it with bread. It is filling by itself. I wouldn't think to serve this over noodles.
When my DD sent me the link, I cooked this two days in a row, it was so good. And super easy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Soror said:

How did the tagine turn out? I'm considering it for dinner tonight.

I agree, alas being gf the bread isn't quite as good and much more time consuming to make

Sorry, just getting to my computer now!  It was really good!!  Lots of really good and fresh flavors.  It's a recipe I'll keep.  We served it over rice.   Everyone loved it!