Menu

Chevy Traverse

Mrs Tiggywinkle

Does anyone have one? Especially before the 2018 redesign?

My minivan has high mileage for the 2017 year. I drive a lot(living 20 miles from anyplace I go) and I drove back and forth from NY to Florida this year. I’m not quite upside down on it but getting there due to the excessive mileage.  A coworker’s inlaws own a huge car dealership in Ohio and give his friends a discount. They’ve offered me well over blue book value for my grand caravan and DH wants to take them up on it.  We can leave for Ohio tonight and pick out a car tomorrow, and I have the financing secured. 
However, I do not want another minivan, but I need 3 rows.  They have a 2017 very low mileage(15,000) Traverse that comes already set with the towing package I want.  Obviously I can’t run over and test drive it lol.  Does anyone have any experiences with a Traverse?

My parents have one that is several years old. The front seat are quite comfortable to me, and I don’t mind driving it. However, I do not like riding in the back seats. It makes me feel like me knees are up by my ears. Maybe it is okay for kids in the back seats, but I would never buy one based on my experience.

Do you have multiple kids at home?  Do you realize most suv's are downsized in size in from a minivan?   Unless you plan on going for a suburban, it will be a downsize.    Put a couple adults in that third row, and drive around with them.  2ds was in the third row of his scoutmasters car when he was 12 - he did not like it.  

I downsized, but I only have one kid at home (and can rent a van if I need one.).   I'm still trying to come to terms with how much smaller it is.  It's fine if you consider it an upsized large passenger car.

eta: here's a tool where you can do a side x side of features/sizes. with up to three cars.  you can adjust for year and trim.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

Do you have multiple kids at home?  Do you realize most suv's are downsized in size in from a minivan?   Unless you plan on going for a suburban, it will be a downsize.    Put a couple adults in that third row, and drive around with them.  2ds was in the third row of his scoutmasters car when he was 12 - he did not like it.  

I downsized, but I only have one kid at home (and can rent a van if I need one.).   I'm still trying to come to terms with how much smaller it is.  It's fine if you consider it an upsized large passenger car.

eta: here's a tool where you can do a side x side of features/sizes. with up to three cars.  you can adjust for year and trim.

A Traverse is a big suv ( about the same size as a Yukon). 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

I have 3 kids. The youngest is 5 and will be in the third row.  
It is a large SUV but the cargo space is a slight downsize from the minivan.  I had a similar size SUV until it got rear ended. I loved that SUV, even with the 3 kids in it, but a minivan was more in line with the insurance settlement.  It’s been okay, but I don’t like how it handles the snow and it’s not able to tow our boat. 

28 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I have 3 kids. The youngest is 5 and will be in the third row.  
It is a large SUV but the cargo space is a slight downsize from the minivan.  I had a similar size SUV until it got rear ended. I loved that SUV, even with the 3 kids in it, but a minivan was more in line with the insurance settlement.  It’s been okay, but I don’t like how it handles the snow and it’s not able to tow our boat. 

yeah- minivan's don't tow much.

I had AWD and dh (who had extensive snow driving experience) was very happy with how it handled.  But they stopped making it when they came out with stow and go seating.  

2 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

But it definitely doesn't sit up like a Yukon, just FYI.  I had several Expeditions and then tried to downsize to a Traverse.  I just didn't like being so low on the interstate.  My husband really loved it though.  I kept it about 15 months and traded it for a Suburban.  I <3 my Suburbans.  My husband wished we never sold the Traverse and purchased himself one about 2 years later.  It has been perfect for him.   I much prefer sitting up as high as possible, he prefers the size of the Traverse.   He has put many, many miles on it in a short amount of time and has had zero issues.    

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ZiMom said:

But it definitely doesn't sit up like a Yukon, just FYI.  I had several Expeditions and then tried to downsize to a Traverse.  I just didn't like being so low on the interstate.  My husband really loved it though.  I kept it about 15 months and traded it for a Suburban.  I ❤️ my Suburbans.  My husband wished we never sold the Traverse and purchased himself one about 2 years later.  It has been perfect for him.   I much prefer sitting up as high as possible, he prefers the size of the Traverse.   He has put many, many miles on it in a short amount of time and has had zero issues.    

That is the only thing I wish about my Traverse.  I love the height of the Yukon but the inside/features were not as nice unless I got a 2021.  

I had a 2010 Traverse and loved it. We’ve got 3 boys and two large dogs. It served us quite well. When we looked for a new vehicle in 2019 we were pretty sure we were going with a suburban. My 15 yo said the back seat wasn’t nearly as comfortable as the traverse. In a suburban you can’t move the middle row seats...you can in a traverse which allows more third row leg room. That one feature alone is what swayed our decision to go with traverse again. We have the 2019 and love it just as much as we did the 2010. (We gave the 2010 to a family member and it’s still going strong.)

I have a 2013 Enclave and can see just fine out of it. The front seats are fully adjustable. The center buckets slide forward and back. I have teens now and they both sit comfortably in the second row bucket seats. In a pinch, we put adults in the middle of the back row but it’s best for small kids, elementary size. Mine only has 61K miles on it and the dealership regularly calls me to try to get it in on trade. I haven’t had any major electrical, engine or transmission repairs—just basic brakes, tires, fuel injection/ air conditioning maintenance. You could tow with a V8 but I wouldn’t with a standard V6. I wanted the V8 but settled for the V6 and still have regrets. lol.

Edited by Sneezyone

We have a 2012 Traverse. It has a slow power steering fluid leak, which I understand is not unusual. We just have to add a little every month or so. I would recommend trying to get a back up camera. I can see fine for going forward, but backing up is scary. We got the model with bench seats in middle and back so that we can hold up to eight medium sized people. There has to be some agility or else patience if all seats are being used, but normally we are only carrying 6 and so leave one seat filled down for easy access.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2020 at 10:46 AM, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

Does anyone have one? Especially before the 2018 redesign?

My minivan has high mileage for the 2017 year. I drive a lot(living 20 miles from anyplace I go) and I drove back and forth from NY to Florida this year. I’m not quite upside down on it but getting there due to the excessive mileage.  A coworker’s inlaws own a huge car dealership in Ohio and give his friends a discount. They’ve offered me well over blue book value for my grand caravan and DH wants to take them up on it.  We can leave for Ohio tonight and pick out a car tomorrow, and I have the financing secured. 
However, I do not want another minivan, but I need 3 rows.  They have a 2017 very low mileage(15,000) Traverse that comes already set with the towing package I want.  Obviously I can’t run over and test drive it lol.  Does anyone have any experiences with a Traverse?

We had the original Traverse before the re-design.  Do not even go near it.  We had to trade it in way before we would normally give up our car because it had so very many issues; the issues began at 60,000-70,000, and included major AC failure, repeated cylinder failures, and repeated power steering failures.  Incidentally, certain Chevrolet models (i.e. Malibu) from that time period (2009-2011) have these issues in common. DH had to spend so much time on the phone with GM engineers and GM headquarters because the dealer didn't want to pay for the multiple repairs on the same problem that originated when the car was still under warranty.  GM finally paid for the most expensive repairs (the cylinders), and one of the engineers admitted the problem was from a design flaw and couldn't be fixed without a re-design.  It has great cargo and passenger space, though!

Edited by Reefgazer

On 12/22/2020 at 11:56 PM, Xahm said:

We have a 2012 Traverse. It has a slow power steering fluid leak, which I understand is not unusual. We just have to add a little every month or so. I would recommend trying to get a back up camera. I can see fine for going forward, but backing up is scary. We got the model with bench seats in middle and back so that we can hold up to eight medium sized people. There has to be some agility or else patience if all seats are being used, but normally we are only carrying 6 and so leave one seat filled down for easy access.

The power steering problem was,  among other things, one of the design flaws in those first Traverses and was one of the problems we were repeatedly in the garage for.  Ours would cause power failure when turning.  There were also repeated cylinder fails caused by over-heating because wires were designed to run too close to the engine.  Ugh.  Worst car I ever owned.

On 12/20/2020 at 12:35 PM, itsheresomewhere said:

My sister has the older Traverse (the one before the most recent redesign) and I have an Odyssey.  The van has more room in the third row and more storage than her Traverse.   I agree that unless you're getting a Suburban a 3rd row SUV is a step down from a van.  All that said, my sister loves her Traverse.  She has 3 kids, the oldest is only 11.  They usually sit 3 across in the middle row and she keeps the 3rd row down for the extra storage, but likes having the option to use it for extra kids if needed.  If you don't need the 3rd row for regular seating or juts for one child, I think it's a great choice.

Edited by ksr5377