Menu

what does this mean?

I have a letter from the peadiatrician  that has a list of diagnoses for twin 1

one of these says 

Oppositional Defiance Disorder with conduct issues emerging as Severe Behavioural Disorder

My question

I already know about the Oppositional Defiance Disorder. (We deal with it every day), but what does it mean emerging as Severe Behavioural Disorder?

I thought Oppositional Defiance Disorder was a type of Behavioural Disorder

does it mean it is getting or will get worse?

OR is it just what the diagnoses turns into as a child gets older, like Multiple Developmental Delays turns into Intellectual Disabilities once a child turns 7?

thank you for your valued advice

Edited by Melissa in Australia
spelling

So I am not 100% sure, because I am not Australian and these things can really vary, but in the U.S. we have different systems of classifying people with disabilities that depend on the purpose.

From the Medical perspective, children get matched to one or more of a list of diagnoses that have very specific diagnostic criteria.  The focus is on “what do they have”?    A diagnosis like ODD would be a medics diagnosis here.

From the Educational perspective, kids are put into much larger groups, with umbrella terms like Severe Emotional Disturbance.  We don’t usually see Severe Behavioral Disorder but I think it could be a synonym.  The focus is less on what they have and more on the kinds and amount of support they need.  A child qualifies for disability services through the school, not based on a specific medical diagnosis but based on the severity of their symptoms and the types of support they need.

ODD is a diagnosis that covers a wide range of severity levels and support needs.  An ODD diagnosis doesn’t automatically qualify a kid for support at school.  On the other hand the SED label (that I am guessing is a synonym for the label here) tells me that the issues are severe enough and the support needs high enough that the kid does qualify for help.

• Thanks 1

Ok. this letter was from the peadiatrician to the GP. so I am guessing Medical perspective. I needed a copy of it to show diagnoses for NDIS funding for Podiatry because of his Bilateral Telipies. it had a list of 9 of his diagnoses and I was unsure what this one means,

NDIS is National Disability Insurance Scheme. He has funding from it because of his Intellectual Disability - it funds  things like speech pathology,  some Psychology, and Occupational Therapy. but I am unable to find an Occupational Therapist at the moment

8 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

emerging as Severe Behavioural Disorder?

https://www.education.vic.gov.au/parents/additional-needs/Pages/disability-students-program.aspx  Here your country defines it. Scroll to the middle and click for the expansion. And yes, it seems to indicate a level of support required. So some kids with ODD mainstream, but they're saying your kids would need a stepped of level of support and specialized placement in a school setting and will require ongoing treatment.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I am still as confused as ever. 

It wasn't for school funding. He would qualify for help from other diagnoses. And the paediatrician is well awear that he is being homeschooled and cannot access school funding. 

Side note. Here in Australia a paediatrician is a specilest doctor. Not many children see one and they need a referral from a GP to see one. This letter was the letter backto the GP. But the paediatricians office sent a copy to me by request as I needed a copy for the NDIS

4 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Hmmm. 

I don't think so

He has plenty enough diagnoses for school funding.

At least here, those reports follow a formula.  Since many children do have school funding issues, then a provider might be in the habit of including that information, and just do so every time.  

Also, here, and this might be different in Australia, funding for certain adult services requires documentation that the conditions started in childhood, and that individual's need for increased support is long standing.  When adults are assessed for eligibility for services, they look back at the papertrail, and for a kid who doesn't have school records, having paperwork that says that they would have been eligible for services if they'd attended public school can be helpful.  The same thing is true, in the US, when people apply for accommodations for standardized tests. 

• Thanks 1

Ok. 

I have been pondering it all day and think maybe the paediatrician wrote it to the GP because the GP can do a mental health plan for extra psycologest sessions. 

In the past We have accessed mental health plan because of the trauma background. A mental health plan allows 10 psychologists visits covered by Medicare (universal health) 

But that doesn't explain what it means. Which was my question. Does it mean that it he expects it toget worse or is it a name change when a child reaches a certain age? 

3 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Ok. 

I have been pondering it all day and think maybe the paediatrician wrote it to the GP because the GP can do a mental health plan for extra psycologest sessions. 

In the past We have accessed mental health plan because of the trauma background. A mental health plan allows 10 psychologists visits covered by Medicare (universal health) 

But that doesn't explain what it means. Which was my question. Does it mean that it he expects it toget worse or is it a name change when a child reaches a certain age? 

I think, although again people use words differently in different countries so I'm just guessing, he means that he has this diagnosis -- ODD, and right now it is presenting in a way that means he meets the criteria as a child with a severe behavioral disorder.  Not all kids with ODD meet that criteria, and some kids meet it at some points and not others as their condition evolves, but right now he does. 

An example here would be a kid with dyslexia.  Dyslexia is a medical diagnosis, and it's generally considered to be permanent, and any kid with dyslexia who is public schools should be considered for special education services.  But not all kids who have dyslexia will receive services under the category of specific learning disability.  Some kids will never qualify, and some kids will qualify and then close the gap and not qualify after time.  

But this is all the US, and I'm just speculating that things might be the same there.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My interpretation is essentially the same as BaseballandHockey's; "Oppositional defiant disorder with conduct issues, presenting in a way that can be classified as a Severe Behavioural Disorder".  

1 hour ago, Melissa in Australia said:

"Severe Behavioural Disorder" is a broad category and not a formal diagnosis in either the DSM-5 or ICD-10 (the two commonly used classification systems for mental disorders), so I don't take it to mean that the ODD diagnosis will change to Severe Behavioural Disorder. I don't think he means that he expects your child's behaviour to get worse or that there will be any name change.

• Thanks 1