Menu

Personal SARS-COV-2 vaccination experiences

59 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

In the US, 26,000 children have been hospitalized with covid, and at least 172 have died. We have no idea what the long-term issues may be.

That’s no where near what the CDC is reporting.

https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/COVIDNet/COVID19_5.html

49 minutes ago, kokotg said:

In contrast, there were an average of 90 chicken pox deaths a year in the US  between 1970 and 1994 (i.e. pre-vaccine), about 60% of them in children (interestingly, the deaths shifted from mostly children to mostly adults during the time period studied). https://academic.oup.com/jid/article/182/2/383/2190935

Putting aside the fact that chicken pox not being very dangerous probably wasn't a lot of comfort to the parents of the dozens of children every year who DID die from it, it appears that COVID is substantially more dangerous to kids, even putting aside long term complications.

Dozens is just not a high enough number to suggest millions be mandatory vaccinated. At least wrt chicken pox.  

I think we need more data to know for Covid for under 13-15 yrs old. 

30 minutes ago, wathe said:

Yes.  Shingles is literally the reactivation of the chickenpox you had as a kid. 

hmm. I’ll have to ask about that bc that’s not the response I was given last I asked a year ago when I got the chicken pox vaccine for a 13 yr old. 

Just now, Not_a_Number said:

Do you think those vaccines are riskier than the associated diseases?

I think chicken pox for kids under puberty is not risky enough to warrant intervention.

Again, I think we need more info about Covid and the vaccine to decide if any massive scale intervention is needed for young children. It’s entirely possible that a year from now I will think there is.  But based on what we currently know, my answer would be to not get this vaccine for my young children at this time. My teens and older? I likely will encourage them to get it. I know for a fact, 4 of them won’t need my encouragement bc they’ve already said they plan to. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got the vaccine! Was just like any other going in lol. Too soon to know about side effects, of course, but I’l keep you posted.

I never expected I'd be getting my vaccine so early -- but I got my first Moderna shot today.   I was at the doctor's with my son for an appointment and it was near the end of the day and th

Got my Blue Envelope!  The appointment is this coming Sunday.  Woohoo!

5 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

Dozens is just not a high enough number to suggest millions be mandatory vaccinated. At least wrt chicken pox.  

My point was that you were comparing chicken pox to covid, but covid appears to be significantly more dangerous. Although my tangential point is that the chicken pox vaccine has saved hundreds of American children's lives, and you haven't answered whether you think the vaccine is more dangerous than chicken pox (i.e. do you believe that dozens of children every year die from the chicken pox vaccine?) and, if not, why wouldn't it be worth saving dozens of children every year? 

9 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

That’s no where near what the CDC is reporting.

https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/COVIDNet/COVID19_5.html

That source says right at the top that it includes data from only 14 states "and represents approximately 10% of the population." If you multiply those figures by 10 you get more than 20,000 hospitalized children.

The American Academy of Pediatrics lists more than 2 million diagnosed cases in children, 1.3% of which have been hospitalized. That's 26,000 children.

https://www.aappublications.org/news/2020/12/29/covid-2million-children-122920

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 5
12 minutes ago, kokotg said:

My point was that you were comparing chicken pox to covid, but covid appears to be significantly more dangerous. Although my tangential point is that the chicken pox vaccine has saved hundreds of American children's lives, and you haven't answered whether you think the vaccine is more dangerous than chicken pox (i.e. do you believe that dozens of children every year die from the chicken pox vaccine?) and, if not, why wouldn't it be worth saving dozens of children every year? 

No I wasn’t comparing chicken pox and Covid. I was saying that for ME at this time, I don’t think the health risk to actual children of these two is high enough to warrant mandatory intervention.  I do not believe I actually compared Covid to chicken pox beyond that this is my current view of both of them.

2 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

No I wasn’t comparing chicken pox and Covid. I was saying that for ME at this time, I don’t think the health risk to actual children of these two is high enough to warrant mandatory intervention.  I do not believe I actually compared Covid to chicken pox beyond that this is my current view of both of them.

semantics, but I consider saying that you classify both as not dangerous enough to children to warrant a vaccine a comparison. 

At what point is a disease dangerous enough? it's not dozens of deaths per year, and it's not 170+

Edited by kokotg
16 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

That source says right at the top that it includes data from only 14 states "and represents approximately 10% of the population." If you multiply those figures by 10 you get more than 20,000 hospitalized children.

The American Academy of Pediatrics lists more than 2 million diagnosed cases in children, 1.3% of which have been hospitalized. That's 26,000 children.

https://www.aappublications.org/news/2020/12/29/covid-2million-children-122920

Okay.  Good to know how you got your numbers. Thanks.   I’d be interested in a breakdown of ages and conditions hospitalized. Legally a 17 year old is a child but most of us would recognize that for medical purposes they are more adult than young child.  That’s still a really small number of people.  And I’m not even saying no one should get it. I’m saying that for me, I’m not seeing a compelling reason socially or personally *at the time* to get the Covid vaccine for my 4 yr old.  And I think other parents should be able to make that decision too. 

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, kokotg said:

semantics, but I consider saying that you classify both as not dangerous enough to children to warrant a vaccine a comparison. 

At what point is a disease dangerous enough? it's not dozens of deaths per year, and it's not 170+

It’s not semantics to me but okay  

idk.  I’m great with masks. I’m great with social distancing. I’m great with sanitizing more. I’m great with overall good stewardship policies. I’m super happy for the vast majority of vaccines. I’m super happy about antibiotics.  But sadly, humans are immortal no matter what we do. My mom died of the common cold bc cancer treatment left her no immune system. Even if we had a vaccine for the common cold, she’d have likely died of something else.  I suspect that out of the entire population, a small but still regrettable number of people will fall into this category for various underlying health reasons. Again. A year from now I may have a better informed viewed about that.  And if I find the data suggests the risk to young children is high enough to warrant intervention - I’ll happily haul my young kids in for the vaccine. 

1 hour ago, Murphy101 said:

It’s not semantics to me but okay  

I just mean that the definition of a comparison is showing the ways in which two things are similar or dissimilar. You said that chicken pox and COVID are similar in that neither are serious enough to children, in your opinion, to justify widespread vaccination. You literally compared the two: "So for me, I don’t think those particular vaccines, safe or not, are necessary." I wasn't saying that you were suggesting they were the same disease in some other fundamental way. 

56 minutes ago, kokotg said:

I just mean that the definition of a comparison is showing the ways in which two things are similar or dissimilar. You said that chicken pox and COVID are similar in that neither are serious enough to children, in your opinion, to justify widespread vaccination. You literally compared the two: "So for me, I don’t think those particular vaccines, safe or not, are necessary." I wasn't saying that you were suggesting they were the same disease in some other fundamental way. 

okay. 
context matters. I was speaking to a very narrow aspect - the wide spread mandatory vaccination of young children.  The context of my post(s) were specific to that narrow subtopic. 

But I feel like we are either talking past each other or I’m not making myself understood and I’m too tired to figure out which it is. So let’s just go in peace and, God willing, good health.🙂

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

But based on what we currently know, my answer would be to not get this vaccine for my young children at this time. 

So... chickenpox is its own calculation, because the chance of an unvaccinated kid getting chickenpox is quite low. So then part of the reason to get this vaccine is for public health and not selfish reasons. While I still generically think people without contraindications should get it, that's a harder question. 

But if you skip the COVID vaccine, your kid is very likely to get COVID. In which case, you're making the decision that the vaccine is likely to be riskier than the virus. Is that right? Because if you don't think so, there's no reason to skip it. 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Not_a_Number said:

So... chickenpox is its own calculation, because the chance of an unvaccinated kid getting chickenpox is quite low. So then part of the reason to get this vaccine is for public health and not selfish reasons. While I still generically think people without contraindications should get it, that's a harder question. 

But if you skip the COVID vaccine, your kid is very likely to get COVID. In which case, you're making the decision that the vaccine is likely to be riskier than the virus. Is that right? Because if you don't think so, there's no reason to skip it. 

Depends on perspective.

The vast majority of young children are very likely to develop Covid antibodies and never have any issues. At least that is the current expectation and understanding  

Given that, I see no reason for them to get a jab.   The jab could be full of saline and I’d say the same thing. Because I’m not basing my decision on how dangerous the vaccine is but on how imperative I think the health risk is to young children overall.

1 minute ago, Murphy101 said:

Depends on perspective.

The vast majority of young children are very likely to develop Covid antibodies and never have any issues. At least that is the current expectation and understanding  

Given that, I see no reason for them to get a jab.   The jab could be full of saline and I’d say the same thing. Because I’m not basing my decision on how dangerous the vaccine is but on how imperative I think the health risk is to young children overall.

See, you're definitely treating the decision to do SOMETHING as more serious than the decision to do NOTHING, and that's by definition, not because of a risk assessment.

I can see that this is psychologically natural, but is there a reason for that? 

Edited by Not_a_Number
4 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

See, you're definitely treating the decision to do SOMETHING as more serious than the decision to do NOTHING, and that's by definition, not because of a risk assessment.

I can see that this is psychologically natural, but is there a reason for that? 

Because taking time to pause to assess a situation and waiting to see how things go tends to pay off for many decisions in life.

Because I don’t view it as doing nothing. Waiting and assessing is not nothing just because it isn’t a jab.

Because if the situation or the data or my own household situation suggests I need to do more - I’ll happily do so and be grateful for the ability to do so.  I’m not saying I won’t give my young kids the Covid vaccines ever.  I’m saying right here and now with the info I have, I don’t think they need it. And I’m trying to stay up to date and aware if that changes.

Case in point. Dh is type 1 diabetic and has hbp. He would get the vaccine today if he could and I’d be relieved if he could too. (Also! Thanks to whoever mentioned the blood sugar issues with Pfizer - I did not know that!  It doesn’t change that he will get whatever vaccine he can ASAP but it’s important to know these things and plan care accordingly.) I have asthma that’s been hard to manage the last couple years. I’d get the vaccine too.  If we were traveling with the kids - I’d probably get the vaccine then. But we are home schooling and are semi-quarantined. Their risk level of getting sick at all, much less seriously, is extremely low. And their risk level of spread it to anyone else is almost nil.  They have not left the house property more than a handful of times in almost a year. 

• Like 2
Just now, Murphy101 said:

Because taking time to pause to assess a situation and waiting to see how things go tends to pay off for many decisions in life.

Because I don’t view it as doing nothing. Waiting and assessing is not nothing just because it isn’t a jab.

It's literally doing nothing, no? It's deciding that "no intervention" is preferable to "intervention."

1 minute ago, Murphy101 said:

But we are home schooling and are semi-quarantined. Their risk level of getting sick at all, much less seriously, is extremely low. And their risk level of spread it to anyone else is almost nil.  They have not left the house property more than a handful of times in almost a year. 

Ah, got it. So you're in the situation where doing nothing is actually not particularly risky. 

We're currently in the same situation, but I'd like the kids to be able to see their friends. So for us, it's soon going to be a decision between "vaccine" and "likely to get the virus." 

I understand now, thanks 🙂 . 

• Like 1

It's literally doing nothing, no? It's deciding that "no intervention" is preferable to "intervention."

No medical intervention is not the same as doing nothing.  Did you miss that I noted several times that I am very pro mask, pro social distancing and we are semi quarantined? That’s not nothing.

Ah, got it. So you're in the situation where doing nothing is actually not particularly risky. 

We're currently in the same situation, but I'd like the kids to be able to see their friends. So for us, it's soon going to be a decision between "vaccine" and "likely to get the virus." 

I understand now, thanks 🙂 . 

Girl. Same. Except I don’t see it changing anytime soon for us.  I’d love to be wrong though.

I do not think we will return to “normal” until, at best, this time next year.  Heck. I suspect we won’t get phase 2 people vaccines before June here. So I’m not worried about the Covid vaccines for young children yet.  I’m going to back burner the need to worry about it. Plenty other more imminent worries to prioritize for now. 

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

No medical intervention is not the same as doing nothing.  Did you miss that I noted several times that I am very pro mask, pro social distancing and we are semi quarantined? That’s not nothing.

I just meant "nothing" in the context "either get the vaccine or don't get the vaccine." But no, I understand that there are other things! We're doing all of them, too. 

Both my parents, 83 and 87, who have previously had covid, were vaccinated with their first shot today. Moderna. So far, so good. 

Several friends had their second shots. Fever, chills, general yuck, but only for 24 hours. 

• Like 5
10 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

hmm. I’ll have to ask about that bc that’s not the response I was given last I asked a year ago when I got the chicken pox vaccine for a 13 yr old. 

From the CDC, "After a person recovers from chickenpox, the virus stays dormant (inactive) in their body. The virus can reactivate later, causing shingles."

• Like 2
On 2/4/2021 at 7:43 PM, TCB said:

Not really a personal experience but I’m going to be helping with a mass vaccination clinic organized by the National Guard next week. I think it might be for 2000+ people, but not sure of all the details yet. So glad so many at risk people in my area will be on their way to being safe!

I'm going to be working my first covid immunization clinic shift tomorrow!  Apparently we can do up to 1200 per day. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 7

I had my first Covid vaccination yesterday. So far, just a sore arm. No worse than the flu shot. I've heard that the second shot often has worse reactions.

• Like 9

My sister got her second Moderna shot on Thursday.  Twenty-four hours later she had a large, hard, red knot (about 3 inches) in diameter at the site of the injection and said that it hurt to move her arm.  She had one of those forehead thermometers that she placed over the injection site and it was reading 100 degrees.  She was also beginning to have chills.

• Sad 2
On 2/4/2021 at 5:50 AM, sassenach said:

Got my second Moderna yesterday morning and I had a garbage night. Low grade fever, body aches, terrible headache, joint pain...basically everything I knew to expect. I tried to hold off on taking Tylenol but finally had to give in around 2am. Never did fall back asleep. The immune system can be quite unpleasant!

Quoting myself. The first night was definitely the worst of it. I felt pretty awful the entire following day, went to bed at 8 and woke up feeling 98% better. So about 48 hours from start to finish with the worst of it being from about the 16 hour mark through the 36 hour mark. 

• Like 10
11 hours ago, wathe said:

I'm going to be working my first covid immunization clinic shift tomorrow!  Apparently we can do up to 1200 per day. 

Several hospital systems and counties are recruiting nursing students right now and the feeling I'm getting is that they're prepping for the J&J to be approved because it's so much less fussy than the mRNA vaccines. I think we'll see things kick into high gear soon.

• Like 5

We have the a range here. We all got our second Pfizer shot about 5:45 last night. The rest of the night was fine for all. Dh has no symptoms, not even a sore arm. 18yo dd has a headache and is staying in bed. After 15 or 16 hours of nothing but a sore arm that started during the night, I just wanted to lie down, had chills, the edges of a headache if I moved, and fever of 99-100°. Living on the sofa with the cat and dog watching The Great British Baking Show (turns out it's okay to nap through parts and just wake up for the judging). Very glad I got all my chores done yesterday and can have a down day or two this weekend. But this is still much better than Covid.

• Like 13
2 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

We have the a range here. We all got our second Pfizer shot about 5:45 last night. The rest of the night was fine for all. Dh has no symptoms, not even a sore arm. 18yo dd has a headache and is staying in bed. After 15 or 16 hours of nothing but a sore arm that started during the night, I just wanted to lie down, had chills, the edges of a headache if I moved, and fever of 99-100°. Living on the sofa with the cat and dog watching The Great British Baking Show (turns out it's okay to nap through parts and just wake up for the judging). Very glad I got all my chores done yesterday and can have a down day or two this weekend. But this is still much better than Covid.

@Ali in OR (or anyone else) how long after the shot before you/family members started having symptoms?

I am scheduled to get my second Pfizer dose Friday about 2:30 but I was asked to proctor an exam about 4pm.   Do you think I would be ok until 7or so pm?  Just need to get through the exam and drive home.

Both of my parents have had their first shot. Dad (85) has recently recovered  from a minor bout of COVID. He felt ok initially but the following day he felt pretty sore and run over for a few days.
My mom (82) recently tested negative even though she showed minor symptoms at the same as my dad. She felt perfectly fine after her vaccination, but 2.5 weeks after she felt pretty bad for 2 days. I’m certain it was a delayed response.

• Like 4

Had my second Pfizer dose Thursday. No reaction to first dose, super tired and headachy the day after the second dose. I *think it was vax related, but I broke my ankle and had surgery the previous week, so energy levels have gone up and down. Plus visited the dentist and started Invisalign the day of the vax, so headache could have been from moving teeth. Regardless, fine two days later. 🙂 Big bruise on my arm from the vax. The staff giving the injections are not people that normally do this as part of their job, but were trained for this specific situation. She was wiping off something that ran down my arm after the injection, and I was hoping it was not the fluid itself, lol.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Ottakee said:

@Ali in OR (or anyone else) how long after the shot before you/family members started having symptoms?

I am scheduled to get my second Pfizer dose Friday about 2:30 but I was asked to proctor an exam about 4pm.   Do you think I would be ok until 7or so pm?  Just need to get through the exam and drive home.

We were fine last night--not even sore arms. So 5:45-9:30 or so was fine. My arm was sore during the night, but I got up and felt ok, did yoga. When I was getting dd up and ready for her day I just really wanted to go lie down on the sofa, then chills, fever, lots of napping. So a good 15-16 hours after the shot. Still going on--hoping I feel a lot better tomorrow.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Ottakee said:

I had the Pfizer vaccine. I started feeling very tired about 18 hours after the shot. I initially felt chilled, then felt fatigued with a slight headache on and off for about 18 hours. After that, I was back to normal. I would have been fine to proctor right after the second dose.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

We were fine last night--not even sore arms. So 5:45-9:30 or so was fine. My arm was sore during the night, but I got up and felt ok, did yoga. When I was getting dd up and ready for her day I just really wanted to go lie down on the sofa, then chills, fever, lots of napping. So a good 15-16 hours after the shot. Still going on--hoping I feel a lot better tomorrow.

Thanks that helps.

7 hours ago, Wilrunner3 said:

I had the Pfizer vaccine. I started feeling very tired about 18 hours after the shot. I initially felt chilled, then felt fatigued with a slight headache on and off for about 18 hours. After that, I was back to normal. I would have been fine to proctor right after the second dose.

Thanks.  That helps.

On 2/5/2021 at 1:37 PM, Not_a_Number said:

Do you think those vaccines are riskier than the associated diseases?

Depends on the vaccination and disease. We won’t do the Chicken Pox one. But I had the Covid one. 

I got my 2nd Moderna shot yesterday morning. Last night I had bad chills and body aches, and I woke up with fever and body aches. I feel pretty good now, so the worst time for me was between 12 and 24 hours after the shot. 

• Like 4

I think I'm pretty much back to normal today after my Friday shot. So it was fever, chills, fatigue, and the edge of a headache Saturday, fatigue only yesterday, and doing ok today, but maybe a little less energy than normal. That could be from just not eating enough too (fear not, I have plenty of fat stores to see me through). 18 yo Dd was fine yesterday after similar symptoms to mine on Saturday. Dh never had symptoms other than feeling like maybe he didn't get enough sleep by Saturday night (so a little fatigue I think), and disabled dd is just hard to tell, but she was happy and hummy playing in her bed Saturday, and I think if she felt like me she would have been silent. And I'd rather me be sick than her, so that's all ok to me!

• Like 8

FIL is still tired, 10 days after his first Moderna shot. It's improving but he tends to be a power-through kind of guy so it is notable. 

I do wonder if he had Covid before, and if that would make any difference in terms of side effects. His idea of minimizing exposure during the pandemic is going to church and the gym, seeing some patients in his office, and having a few close friends over for dinner. He had a stroke several months ago and I will always wonder if it was a late complication of prior Covid infection. 

• Sad 4
3 hours ago, Acadie said:

do wonder if he had Covid before, and if that would make any difference in terms of side effects.

It appears it does. People who have had Covid seem to react to their first dose as if it was the second. 

• Like 2

My brother turned 65 last Monday, so he entered a different vaccine urgency cohort.  Today, his GP sent him a text that included a link for booking his first vaccination.  He's booked in for Friday at a nearby health centre.  He's really excited, even though he hates needles.

• Like 8
On 2/5/2021 at 2:07 PM, wathe said:

Yes.  Shingles is literally the reactivation of the chickenpox you had as a kid. 

On 2/5/2021 at 2:33 PM, Not_a_Number said:

Yep. Like all the herpes viruses, it sticks around in your body, right? Like my cold sores, which will never go away...

Yes, this is certainly true. If you had chicken pox that virus is just sitting in your body waiting for its chance to reactivate as the painful shingles virus. I was recommended to get the shingles vaccine right before the shortage happened a few years ago, so I had to wait until the supply returned. I've since had the shot and the booster. I've known two people who got shingles repeatedly and seeing what they went through made me determined to get the vaccine as soon as I could.

Back to the Covid vaccine. There were some reports of people getting an itchy rash on their arm 8-10 days past the first Moderna dose. I'm past that and haven't experienced anything like that. As I previously said, just a sore arm for a day or two. Ds got the Pfizer a few days after I got my Moderna shot, so he'll actually get his second dose a few days before my second one. We're still trying to get dh scheduled. He's on the state waiting list and I keep getting up early when Publix opens appointments. I'm hoping we'll soon have Walgreens, CVS, and Walmart as options since the feds said they'll be sending vaccines to those pharmacies. 

FYI, Dh and I both qualify due to age. Ds23 qualifies because he works in a long term care facility. Where he works, all employees are tested twice a week and both employees and residents are getting vaccinated. Dss and ddil (adorable Emma's parents) are a firefighter and nurse respectively and have both been fully vaccinated.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 5

My dad and his family in Israel have gotten their second Pfizer shot. He reports no unpleasant side effects for the second shot, interestingly enough. I hope they didn’t get a bad dose or something!

I just read somewhere (after my somewhat strong reaction to the second shot) that the age range most likely to feel sick ended at 55. Sorry, I don't remember where it began. It just stuck out to me because I'm just about 55, and I know in general like for flu shots and such, older people do not have the same immune response as younger people (they now have stronger flu shots for them), and I was wondering if it's the same thing. I was looking at that as the positive aspect of feeling sick after my shot--I know my immune system is responding. But my dad at 84 felt nothing but a sore arm.

10 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

I just read somewhere (after my somewhat strong reaction to the second shot) that the age range most likely to feel sick ended at 55. Sorry, I don't remember where it began. It just stuck out to me because I'm just about 55, and I know in general like for flu shots and such, older people do not have the same immune response as younger people (they now have stronger flu shots for them), and I was wondering if it's the same thing. I was looking at that as the positive aspect of feeling sick after my shot--I know my immune system is responding. But my dad at 84 felt nothing but a sore arm.

Even my little sister in Israel didn’t feel much, though! And she’s in her 20s.

4 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I do think some of it is random, or your own personal system. My 18yo was just like me, but I'm pretty sure my disabled dd at 23 didn't have too much of a reaction. Dh is 56 and was fine (oooh, but over the 55 mark!🙂)

• Like 2

I had my second Moderna on Saturday. I may have felt a little drained on Sunday, but may have just been tired from being active with the kids all weekend. My arm was slightly sore for a day but otherwise no issues. 

• Like 5

Dh and dd got Moderna #2 Sunday morning.

Both took naps in the afternoon. Both really struggled Monday with headaches, low fever, muscle aches, and fatigue.  Dd got a bloody nose and was told that was a rare but known issue.

Both are feeling okay today.

• Like 6

Just word of mouth experiences here with teachers, but experience is saying to be well hydrated with water and Gatorade before the second vaccine and then again for a day or 2 afterwards and that really helps with side effects.

Not sure if it is true or not, but staying well hydrated is always a good idea.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

My husband had the Pfizer and had very little side effects from his second vaccine.  A sore arm and slight tiredness but nothing major.  

• Like 2