Menu

Personal SARS-COV-2 vaccination experiences

Any hope that not having an immediate reaction to Modera (round 2) yesterday meant smooth sailing has unfortunately gone out the window.

Had a troubled nights sleep and now have a considerable headache and a general feeling of unwellness.

Up to caffeinate and hydrate. Hope that blunts the headache and feelings of malaise. May crawl back into bed. We will see.

Still no question in my mind the protection of vaccination far (far) outweighs feeling crummy for a day--but I'm in that weird twilight space that resembles the flu. Don't think I'm running a temperature, mercifully.

Bill

• Sad 7
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got the vaccine! Was just like any other going in lol. Too soon to know about side effects, of course, but I’l keep you posted.

I never expected I'd be getting my vaccine so early -- but I got my first Moderna shot today.   I was at the doctor's with my son for an appointment and it was near the end of the day and th

Got my Blue Envelope!  The appointment is this coming Sunday.  Woohoo!

18 hours ago, kand said:

but apparently  Reddit now won’t let you read unless you are in the app 🙄, which I refuse to do. 

Just a note that I don't have the app but have been able to read the linked threads inside the thread you posted. Maybe try a different browser or opening the thread into a different window?

I had not heard this (bleeding) and it hasn't so far come up with us (1st shots of Pfizer/Moderna for 3 of us) but I'm going to keep an eye on it.

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

I had not heard this (bleeding) and it hasn't so far come up with us (1st shots of Pfizer/Moderna for 3 of us) but I'm going to keep an eye on it.

I hadn't heard about it until reading it here last night but then saw it in the news this morning.  

• Like 2

I will report in, for data purposes! Dh and I both had vaccines Friday! He got J&J and had a pretty robust immune response experience from 8 hours after until about 48 hours after: chills, sweating, low fever, and tired. He kept flexing his neck but said it didn't hurt. He took naps and worked on his computer. He chugged water, because y'all told me it would help. 🙂

I got my first moderna and had a sore, slightly knotted spot at the injection site for about 36 hours, but had no other issues. 

• Like 8
4 hours ago, MEmama said:

The study sounds fascinating! Do you have a link for more information about what they are looking for? Thanks for letting me know it is being studied.

Searched quickly for info and couldn't find anything, but I'll let you know when I do.

• Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, kand said:

If you happen to know where you saw it, can you point me that way? I’m still curious if it’s actually related or just any of the women having that random thing happened that month is attributing it to their vaccine.

https://www.health.com/condition/infectious-diseases/coronavirus/can-covid-vaccine-affect-my-period?fbclid=IwAR0C6wQMApnIyKgB5UBksdXRyZrUjupylEJz3ZAkqCBvRc_x1BFg1nL5um0

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
3 hours ago, Spy Car said:

Any hope that not having an immediate reaction to Modera (round 2) yesterday meant smooth sailing has unfortunately gone out the window.

Had a troubled nights sleep and now have a considerable headache and a general feeling of unwellness.

Up to caffeinate and hydrate. Hope that blunts the headache and feelings of malaise. May crawl back into bed. We will see.

Still no question in my mind the protection of vaccination far (far) outweighs feeling crummy for a day--but I'm in that weird twilight space that resembles the flu. Don't think I'm running a temperature, mercifully.

Bill

I was wondering how you were doing, since we got our shots at almost the exact same time yesterday.

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well.  I hope it doesn't last long.

I'm doing pretty well.  I have a pretty bad headache, but it's just like the ones I get several times a week, so there's no telling if it's from the vaccine or not.

Dh got his shot yesterday, too.  He has some aches and fatigue, but is otherwise feeling fine.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Ugh. It reads like, "Silly women, you are just making all this up or it is because you are stressed and don't realize it."

I suspect there will be a hormonal link to the vaccines found eventually to explain the late, early, heavy, extra long, etc periods. 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Ugh. It reads like, "Silly women, you are just making all this up or it is because you are stressed and don't realize it."

I suspect there will be a hormonal link to the vaccines found eventually to explain the late, early, heavy, extra long, etc periods. 

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr 🤬🤬🤬🤬

So typical.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Junie said:

I was wondering how you were doing, since we got our shots at almost the exact same time yesterday.

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well.  I hope it doesn't last long.

I'm doing pretty well.  I have a pretty bad headache, but it's just like the ones I get several times a week, so there's no telling if it's from the vaccine or not.

Dh got his shot yesterday, too.  He has some aches and fatigue, but is otherwise feeling fine.

I'm bouncing back. The headache is not gone away entirely, but I've been feeling well enough to be out doing yard-chores (taking a quick break at the moment) and have not needed to crawl back into bed--which upon waking I fully expected would be today's plan.

I do think the coffee and heavy hydration helped me considerably. 

I rarely get headaches, but woke up (if that's what we call rising from a fitful sleep) with a doozy. It's just a dull headache now. 

I hope your headache passes soon. Sorry to read you experience them frequently.

Congratulations to you and your husband. What a relief to vaccinated!

Bill

• Like 7
22 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Ugh. 

For the record I am not at all stressed and the mid cycle spotting is something entirely new and I have been menstruating for 35 years. Which of course means I could be nearing my periods becoming irregular. But this would be the first sign of it. Certainly could be coincidence. But it is very strange. A headache would have been less of a coincidence because that actually happens to me sometimes. 

I guess we’ll see going forward. Right now it feels related. It happened 5 days post second Moderna shot for me. No other symptoms either shot besides a sore arm. Weird. 

• Like 4
34 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Exactly, that's why I didn't post it when I read it.  When I saw the headline, I thought the article would be more informative.  I also think a hormonal link to the vaccines will be found.  I worry that the people who think the vaccines will cause infertility will use this information as evidence that they are right. 

• Like 2

I'm just popping in to say my husband and I finally got appointments this Thursday for our first doses of Pfizer. 40,000 people were already in the virtual waiting room when appointments opened at 3:00 pm. The location is about 1.5 hours away but -- I don't care. Hooray! 😄

Now I am going to clean all the things and prepare good food ahead of time in case we have a robust immune response.

• Like 18

2 hours post-first shot for me and DS and so far, so good (I know it’s too early to tell). He didn’t feel a thing but mine felt like the needle was huge—it didn’t hurt, just felt big. 

The energy at the vaccination center felt like voting day to me—everyone was excited and happy and there was a communal sense of being of service, and all the workers/volunteer/national guard were soooo nice and seemed glad to be there...it was a lovely experience. 🙂 

• Like 21
33 minutes ago, BeachGal said:

Now I am going to clean all the things and prepare good food ahead of time in case we have a robust immune response.

I am getting my 2nd Moderna dose on Thursday.  I don't expect to have much of a reaction but am spending tomorrow cleaning and doing laundry just in case.  Good luck!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I mostly lurk but here's our family's vaccine experiences so far

My Dad (86)  - both doses of Moderna - Sore arm and fatigue

DH, dd(25), ds(21), dd(21), ds(18)  - first dose Pfizer - mildly sore arm

dd(27)  -first dose pfizer  - broke out in hives about 6 hrs post shot, benadryl for 24 hrs after

she gets hives a couple times a year usually from food.

dsil  - J&J  - fever and muscle pain for about 12 hrs

I had the 1st dose of Pfizer with dh. Immediate onset of vomiting and nausea about 3 seconds after shot. Approx 5-6 min later it was gone like someone flipped a switch. No other symptoms. I have had similar reactions to IV meds before.

My oldest was scheduled for J&J this week. Not sure what he will do, Was reluctant to begin with

I'll update after second shots.

• Like 13

Had my 2nd Pfizer and Dd had her 1st. I had less reaction with my 2nd shot than my first. Just a little bit of a sore arm. I made sure I drank plenty of liquids beforehand. Dd said her arm was kind of numb the next day, but it passed quickly.

• Like 13

I’m hurting all over.   Dang vaccine #1 for fooling me into thinking I’d be fine for the second one. 👊🏼👊🏼👊🏼

Still better than a vent!  

This, too, shall pass. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 7
7 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

I’m hurting all over.   Dang vaccine #1 for fooling me into thinking I’d be fine for the second one. 👊🏼👊🏼👊🏼

Still better than a vent!  

This, too, shall pass. 

Yeah, it’s the awful but worth it. Feel better soon!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, MEmama said:

2 hours post-first shot for me and DS and so far, so good (I know it’s too early to tell). He didn’t feel a thing but mine felt like the needle was huge—it didn’t hurt, just felt big. 

The energy at the vaccination center felt like voting day to me—everyone was excited and happy and there was a communal sense of being of service, and all the workers/volunteer/national guard were soooo nice and seemed glad to be there...it was a lovely experience. 🙂 

Your second paragraph: that was true for me too. My first Moderna shot was at a hospital center and it felt like great camaraderie. 

• Like 6

I got my second shot of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday. Thankfully no headache! Last time the headache came within a few hours. I started with the sore arm in the evening (8am shot) but it didn't get worse and today it's actually a bit better. Overall I feel so much better after the second shot than the first. We'll see if my glands blow up - that took two days on the first shot, and my thyroid also blew up significantly. MS symptoms also became worse, but so far so good, just some extra feet numbness upon waking which went away within 20 minutes. The only weird thing that happened yesterday, which probably isn't related to the vaccine: I started falling asleep on the couch in the afternoon, but was having sleep paralysis, not unusual for me when I'm over-tired. But this time it was affecting my ears, and I kept hearing a high pitched screaming sound that was very, very painful. I always hear a high pitched tone, but I've never had ear pain. I can usually fall asleep after 5 or 6 episodes of paralysis, but the pain got me up off the couch. I hope to never experience that again! 

It was busier at the mega site than the last time I was there, but it was moving quickly. Everyone was nice, but on initial entry they weren't going to allow my husband to accompany me. We explained why and he was allowed through, but the national guard person rolled her eyes at me. He was challenged the first time, but they were much more pleasant about letting him in. Otherwise everyone was lovely, and the young man who gave me the shot was amazingly nice about moving the injection down as much as he could for me, which I think has helped avoid the severe arm pain from last time. 

Congrats to all who have been vaccinated!! I'm so happy to have both doses!!😀

Edited to add: The vaccine tricked me!! I started last night with a really bad headache and low grade fever, slept almost 8 hours (that's really good for me) and woke up a bit achy, still low grade fever. I felt so good yesterday! Like better than I usually do every day lol. Oh well. Still better than the first time and barely any arm pain. I will happily suffer any side effects to be fully vaccinated! 

Edited by dsmith
  • Like 12

My 25 year old had her second Pfizer vaccine on Monday.  She has been battling overwhelming fatigue and horrible headaches since then.  Today she says the fatigue is improving but the headaches remain.

My 21 year old had her second Pfizer on Tuesday and so far has just had the exhaustion but no headache. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

My ds32 got his second shot (Pfizer) on Monday. He felt really awful the next day. He stayed in bed all day. By late in the day, he was beginning to feel better. This is the exact same reaction his brother had. 

My second shot is in two weeks (Pfizer). I’m really dreading it because I just hate needles, plus I’ll probably feel rotten the next day. I wish it were already over. 

Im curious to know how things will look in mid July/August when, supposedly, some states will approach herd immunity if the current rates of vaccination continue.

I wanted to add: All family members so far have used drive thru/mass vaccination sites with National Guard. All experiences with them have been nothing but great. So organized. Very impressed and thankful. 

• Like 5

And--in the best news yet--I just scored an appointment for my 16 year old for to get his first shot of Pfizer this Friday.

I'm a happy man today.

Bill

• Like 26

Anyone hear of tooth pain or other random dental issues as vaccine symptoms ? None of them who had them have dentures or work done except fillings. 

Been comparing notes with friends and happened more with the Pfizer. Not a large percentage but like the GI issues that were minor but present  in my "research" of symptoms among our group who got the vaccine, dental issues seemed to be present too. More like tooth pain, swelling of gums then they went away after 2 or 3 days. Not enough to go to the dentist but definitely noticeable.

13 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

Anyone hear of tooth pain or other random dental issues as vaccine symptoms ? None of them who had them have dentures or work done except fillings. 

Been comparing notes with friends and happened more with the Pfizer. Not a large percentage but like the GI issues that were minor but present  in my "research" of symptoms among our group who got the vaccine, dental issues seemed to be present too. More like tooth pain, swelling of gums then they went away after 2 or 3 days. Not enough to go to the dentist but definitely noticeable.

After the first shot, the arm pain was radiating into my jaw and my ear. I was definitely feeling pain in my top teeth on that side. It faded when the arm pain faded, which took about 5-6 days if I'm remembering correctly. Thankfully I don't have anything like that this time!

• Thanks 1

We are over week past (some of our) 2nd vaccinations so:

Me--

Pfizer 1: significant arm pain for 2.5 days--it moved into my shoulder and neck. It interfered with movement and sleep because I am a side sleeper. I had low energy in retrospect, though that could have been because the arm made sleep so hard! 

Pfizer 2: milder arm pain (I made a concerted effort to relax it during injection, drink water, move it tons after) that didn't intefere with  my sleep, even when I rolled on that side. The next day: headache, fatigue, low fever. I was still functional and all this was limited--I've felt great after that intial day after. 

Husband-

Pfizer 1: very mild arm pain

Pfizer 2: mild (but greater than shot 1) arm pain, the next day: headache and significant muscle aches (flu like). He felt fine after that day. 

Son #1 (teen)-

Pfizer 1: extremely mild arm pain, eczema like itchy rash where he received the vaccine that spread down the arm and lasted a week or two (we're not sure exactly when it started). He's not at all an allergy or eczema person, so this surprised me. 

Pfizer 2: mild arm and shoulder pain, the next day: mild fatigue, low grade fever, an enlarged lymph node on the vaccine arm that was painful initially but is getting smaller/better. (This particular teen sometimes gets swollen lymph nodes with viruses as well.) 

Son #2 (teen);

Pfizer 1: mild arm pain, developed COVID arm about a week post vaccine, which is resolving quickly. 

(no Pfizer 2 yet) 

Edited by sbgrace
  • Like 6

DH and I got our second Pfizer shots yesterday. After the first shot, we both had mild arm soreness for 1.5-2 days and mild fatigue. So far, after our second shot, dh has mild arm soreness and otherwise nothing. My arm isn't even sore today (slightly sore yesterday) and I was able to sleep on that side last night. I have mild fatigue today, but otherwise feel fine. 

• Like 8

Y’all.  This was bad.  I think I’m on the tail end of it, thank you Jesus.  I have been out of bed twice today to use the bathroom.  Otherwise I’ve been in bed pouring sweat like dh did when he had covid.  My sheets and comforter may never be the same, I’ll have to use vinegar on them.  I’ve never sweat like that before.  My head is hurts and I just took an imitrex.  I’ve been on tramadol, 800mg ibuprofen, tylenol, nothing has helped.  Each joint feels like someone literally hit it with something hard, my elbows, my shoulders, hips, everything.    Despite this I’m glad I got it. Because if this is how my body reacted to this little thing, can you imagine what it’d do if I had covid.  Omg.  I want to cry thinking about it.  
I do have fibro so maybe that’s why it’s so awful, idk.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 18
9 minutes ago, kand said:

Which shot did you have, and how long did your symptoms last?

Sorry, I forgot to say that’

Pfizer, second shot.  First was absolutely no side effects.  
I got second shot yeastersau at 11am and I woke up moaning at 115 this morning.   To tylenol. Nothing.  Took tramadOl as soon as I felt safe to.   I took ibuprofen 800 at some point and just took imitrex which seems to be helping 🙌🏽

• Like 2

I’ve heard a lot of people say they didn’t feel the shot go in their arm, it was so easy. 

I got my shot today (yay!), but BOY did I feel it! 

The lady jabbed me and there was a much bigger blossom of pain than I expected and I thought, “Holy moley! She just injected that into my bone!” 

And at the same time, she blinked and exclaimed, “Whoa! You have like, no fat on your arm! That went right through the skin really fast!”

I think she jabbed pretty hard thinking she had to get deep in there or get through layers of fat and muscle something, but it was just my scrawny skin and bones. 

——

And dang it...I just googled to see if it’s even possible to inject a vaccine into the bone...and it is. Sigh. I really hope it just felt like it went in that deep and didn’t literally. 

ETA:

Found the below. How much do you want to bet that all the needles they’re using for the vaccine are the ones for men weighing 152 -260 and not smaller women? 

In particular, a 16-mm (5/8-inch) needle should be chosen for patients weighing less than 60 kg (130 lb) and a 25-mm (1-inch) needle is appropriate for patients weighing 60 to 70 kg (130 to 152 lb).5 Women weighing 70 to 90 kg (152 to 200 lb) or men weighing 70 to 118 kg (152 to 260 lb) should receive injections with either a 25-mm (1-inch) or 38-mm (1.5-inch) needle.

Edited by Garga
  • Sad 9

Had Pfizer #2 yesterday. I started getting achy last evening, and I've taken tylenol or ibuprofen since then (tylenol is working better). I've been sleeping most of the day, and I feel like someone has removed my spine, lol! I have a headache on and off like I've slept too much, but I couldn't even think straight this AM after getting up. The achiness feels like rain is coming, so it could be worse. My skin is kind of sensitive. 

My arm is a little sore, but nothing remarkable.

Unlike the first shot, I did not get really itchy (so far), but I have been taking my max dose of allergy meds since the first shot.

My temperature has been up and down--95 something to 98 something. I run cold, and I tend to run even colder and then ping pong around when I am fighting off an illness. 

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Garga said:

ETA:

Found the below. How much do you want to bet that all the needles they’re using for the vaccine are the ones for men weighing 152 -260 and not smaller women? 

In particular, a 16-mm (5/8-inch) needle should be chosen for patients weighing less than 60 kg (130 lb) and a 25-mm (1-inch) needle is appropriate for patients weighing 60 to 70 kg (130 to 152 lb).5 Women weighing 70 to 90 kg (152 to 200 lb) or men weighing 70 to 118 kg (152 to 260 lb) should receive injections with either a 25-mm (1-inch) or 38-mm (1.5-inch) needle.

No! Wait!! I’m feeling a little better, because I just remembered something:

Ok...so I’m sitting there about to get my shot and there was background noise in the room and the nurse was masked and I couldn’t always make out what she said. But just before she reached for the needle she said, “I’m not gonna give you the big needle! Not the one that’ll go right through your arm!” 

And I thought she was making a little joke that she probably made to everyone so they’d relax for their shot. Banter, you know?

But now...I wonder if she literally did pick a smaller sized needle. And so maybe, even though it was jammed into my arm really fast and that’s what made it feel painful, it didn’t actually go into the bone. 

I’m feeling relieved thinking of that now.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 11

Five days past 2nd shot of Pfizer. I still have a tiny bit of COVID arm, but the itching is way down. I ended up with about four itchy red bumps on my vaccinated arm, along with maybe two bumps on my leg on the same side. I also had some itchiness on my face and scalp. 

Headache was mostly gone yesterday and is entirely gone today, I think.

Totally worth it!!! 👍

• Like 16

My parents, who are 80-85, have had both shots in early-mid March and had no symptoms at all, not even soreness. Not that I have anything but an anecdote, but they have been diligent for years in taking fish oil and a Vitamin D supplement. And they upped the Vitamin D this year since they were home so much. So we started up as well.

Yesterday DH got his first shot of Pfizer and has had no symptoms at all, so far anyway. I'm on Saturday so we'll see. I have more health problems than he does.

• Like 6
8 hours ago, Spy Car said:

And--in the best news yet--I just scored an appointment for my 16 year old for to get his first shot of Pfizer this Friday.

I'm a happy man today.

Bill

The only anti-climatic aspect was that I had a plan this morning that I'd register with our healthcare provider and every pharmacy and outlet that is giving out shots, and I was primed to be ready when the clock struck midnight tonight to spring into action.

Instead, I checked first on MyTurn and immediately came up with options for plenty of appointments including one's for tomorrow (Day 1 of eligibility) minutes from our home. But Friday after school seemed perfect.

Almost too easy.

Bill

• Like 6

Dh had his second Pfizer yesterday and has had zero symptoms. He had none after the first one as well. I get my second one next week and two days later both dc get their first!

• Like 9
20 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

Sometimes sinus infection can feel like dental pain so maybe some inflammation there might transfer a bit?

• Like 4

I should probably stop reading these.  Dd has her second Pfizer dose scheduled two days before her first final.  I already tried to move the date but Pfizer is really limited in my area and the only site that has it has a four day window for all second doses (they only did a four day run on dose one as well).  Dd is scheduled for day 2 of 4.  Even if I could somehow get her switched to day 1, which so far has been unsuccessful, that would still be too close to finals to deal with a bad reaction.  She had no reaction to the first dose.  Fingers crossed.  I am sure her professors would work with her if she does have a terrible reaction but it's the in-between reaction I worry about.  Not too sick to ask for accommodations but sick enough to make studying and having her best test days difficult.  She has always struggled with tests to begin with so this is not awesome and she is right on the edge of an A in one class.  The exam will be the final push one way or the other.  Still worth it though, even if she gets a B.  Had she not gotten it when she did, it could be a long long time as she is not yet 18 and we have so little Pfizer within a four hour radius.  Dh and I also get our second doses that day but nothing in our lives cannot be put on hold if necessary.

• Like 5
23 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Sometimes sinus infection can feel like dental pain so maybe some inflammation there might transfer a bit?

They said inflammation of the lymph nodes a bit ? My friends are not very medically inclined so they may not know very much about the reason, but seemed like dental issues but it could very well be a side effect.

16 hours ago, kbutton said:

Had Pfizer #2 yesterday. I started getting achy last evening, and I've taken tylenol or ibuprofen since then (tylenol is working better). I've been sleeping most of the day, and I feel like someone has removed my spine, lol! I have a headache on and off like I've slept too much, but I couldn't even think straight this AM after getting up. The achiness feels like rain is coming, so it could be worse. My skin is kind of sensitive. 

My arm is a little sore, but nothing remarkable.

Unlike the first shot, I did not get really itchy (so far), but I have been taking my max dose of allergy meds since the first shot.

My temperature has been up and down--95 something to 98 something. I run cold, and I tend to run even colder and then ping pong around when I am fighting off an illness. 

Much better today. I eventually developed a cough and congestion last night before bed. This AM, I feel mostly normal.

DS 16 had his shot yesterday. He felt pretty yuck in the middle of the night, and today he has a headache, but he's doing all his normal stuff (of his own volition). I told him he can nap today if he needs to, but he seems fine. 

• Like 7
14 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

my muscles are still hurting and I’m having pain in my armpits and along the sides of my boobs.  Why is that?  What can I take for that?  800 ibuprofen? 

I wonder if your lymph nodes are inflammed/responding to the vaccine. 

They told me I could take ibuprofen or tylenol if I became very uncomfortable, but not to do it unless I needed it--she said, for example, if my temperature gets to 102/103, I would want to medicate but probably  not for low grade fevers. 

3 minutes ago, sbgrace said:

I wonder if your lymph nodes are inflammed/responding to the vaccine. 

They told me I could take ibuprofen or tylenol if I became very uncomfortable, but not to do it unless I needed it--she said, for example, if my temperature gets to 102/103, I would want to medicate but probably  not for low grade fevers. 

Well my fever finally broke for good, I think, but the pain is still there.  It’s like it clenches and rolls, but not constant like last night.  I’ll try roughing it out, though.  I don’t want to screw up my vaccine, you know? 

wait!! Does that mean I shouldn’t have taken anything last night?  Did I screw something up?   I couldnt have stood the pain if I didn’t take something, I would’ve had to go to the ER for sure.   It was rolling and clenching from my waist up. 

Edited by WildflowerMom