Jump to content

Menu

Personal SARS-COV-2 vaccination experiences


JennyD

Recommended Posts

DH and I are 24 hours post 2nd Pfizer shot.  About 4 hours in, I needed to take a nap.  The rest of the night was really rough...chills, severe headache, fatigue.  It felt like the flu.  I'm starting to feel a lot better now, but I'll keep that a secret.  My MIL decided to come to town, so I may have to suffer side effects for another 4 days.  😉  It's best if I stay in bed and not witness her quizzing my homeschoolers to see if they have actually learned anything this year.  😡

I had quite a bit of anxiety about the side effects.  To prepare myself mentally, I envisioned my post shot experience like my natural childbirths.  I knew it would be rough, but in 24 hours I would be done...and I would be with a new, sweet little baby.  Now I have a new, sweet "immunity baby", which makes me so happy.  I get to look forward to all of the good that comes from this new "baby" - vacations, hugs, parties with vaccinated friends.  It's worth it. 

One last thing for those of you with anxiety (well, anyone getting the shot).  If you can, plan to stay home and rest for 24 hours post shot.  Make yourself some soup the day before, clean up your bedroom, change the sheets, find your favorite pjs, get a movie ready on Netflix.  Just prepare like you're about to have a homebirth. 😉  Know that you may have a rough go, but it will end.  Focus on how fortunate you are.  Be brave.  You can do it!!  Enjoy your immunity baby!!

 

 

  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, rainbird2 said:

I had quite a bit of anxiety about the side effects.  To prepare myself mentally, I envisioned my post shot experience like my natural childbirths.  I knew it would be rough, but in 24 hours I would be done...and I would be with a new, sweet little baby.  Now I have a new, sweet "immunity baby", which makes me so happy.  I get to look forward to all of the good that comes from this new "baby" - vacations, hugs, parties with vaccinated friends.  It's worth it. 

Ooooooh. That's a cool way to think of it! I like that 😄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, rainbird2 said:

I had quite a bit of anxiety about the side effects.  To prepare myself mentally, I envisioned my post shot experience like my natural childbirths.  I knew it would be rough, but in 24 hours I would be done...and I would be with a new, sweet little baby.  Now I have a new, sweet "immunity baby", which makes me so happy.  I get to look forward to all of the good that comes from this new "baby" - vacations, hugs, parties with vaccinated friends.  It's worth it. 

I was a bit nervous about the side effects of the second shot but thought this as well. It is known you might have some side effects. There is no reason to be worried when those occurr. Like I do with regular illness I did what I felt I could do. I worked out the morning after my second shot but took it easy because I felt a little off. After breakfast I started getting tired and did nothing but lay around after that. I ended up with a fever, fatigue, aches and pains. By the next morning I was feeling better and worked out again.

After my first shot I felt nothing but a barely sore arm so I did everything as normal.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My white blood count is always low and I'm wondering if the vaccine won't be as effective for me.  I didn't have any side effects from my first dose and I go for my second next week.  I'm actually hoping for a reaction so I know my body is doing something.  I'm concerned I don't have enough white blood cells to trigger a good immune response.  

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Good luck!! You can do it!! Just relax after the shot 🙂 . 

Nope. Have tons of errands. My husband has us going to the plant store so we can plant all of our spring stuff and replace the stuff we lost in the freeze. I have tons of school stuff over the next 2 weeks as well. So cannot stop.  Do not have time to stop. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Nope. Have tons of errands. My husband has us going to the plant store so we can plant all of our spring stuff and replace the stuff we lost in the freeze. I have tons of school stuff over the next 2 weeks as well. So cannot stop.  Do not have time to stop. 

Eeeek. That seems unwise. Well... hopefully it'll distract you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Received J&J shot yesterday midday. Slightly sore arm. No other side effects. I was second to last extended family member to be vaccinated (minus under 16 crowd). Super easy experience. Drive through with thousands (not hyperbole) of others. Plus DS had 2 regular immunizations this week, so I had to not give in to fear and stress since he didn’t. 😉

Thought I might have a sense of relief, but it’s business as usual today, jam-packed with kid activities and things to do. But we have been avid mask wearers and covid-cautious from the start. Ready for kiddos to be vaccinated too, so maybe we can start to put all this behind us. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Kanin said:

You'll do great! Hang in there!

Done.  Shot was easy.  Hubby said if he dies, he is putting “ She made me do it “ on his tombstone.  He hates doctors and needles.  Has not had a check up in forever.  

  • Like 11
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Done.  Shot was easy.  Hubby said if he dies, he is putting “ She made me do it “ on his tombstone.  He hates doctors and needles.  Has not had a check up in forever.  

Awesome! Good for you. Good that hubby is joking around, I think! Mine is the same - he hasn't been to the doc in years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree that moving your arm as much as possible can really help. I was literally carrying around a little 2 lb dumbbell yesterday and any time I was sitting down, I would do arm circles and curls and stuff with it, and my arm didn't hurt at all when I went to bed. Woke up with a really sore arm from not moving it, so I grabbed the dumbbell again, and now I barely notice it.

 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

I agree that moving your arm as much as possible can really help. I was literally carrying around a little 2 lb dumbbell yesterday and any time I was sitting down, I would do arm circles and curls and stuff with it, and my arm didn't hurt at all when I went to bed. Woke up with a really sore arm from not moving it, so I grabbed the dumbbell again, and now I barely notice it.

Good to know!   Just got my first shot 🥳 so far so good, but it's only been about an hour and a half - we'll have to see how things go over the next day or so!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, kand said:

Do chicken wing flaps for a couple minutes every half hour or so. Mine got quite sore the day of, but was mostly better by 24 hours.

Flapping now! 😂

Just did 'arm day' this morning - wonder if that would make things better or worse? 

 

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The nurse who did my shot told me to move the arm more than usual and drink more than usual.  I had no arm pain except a bit if it was pressed on the morning after my shot.   I sat holding a small squeeze ball so I would remember to keep moving the arm. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm 3 days out from 1 st Pfizer now and I feel completely back to normal after a day and a half of mild flu-like symptoms.

DH started flu like symptoms 2 days post 1st moderna and is still suffering.  Right now he's on the fence about bailing on the second dose.  Much will hinge on how I feel after my second shot, which will be the week before his is due.  If it's as bad as the first shot of worse, we will likely not vax our 12 year old when it becomes available.  (All the adults in our extended family have at least one dose in or have recovered from prior covid infection.)

Edited by Syllieann
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Syllieann said:

I'm 3 days out from 1 st Pfizer now and I feel completely back to normal after a day and a half of mild flu-like symptoms.

DH started flu like symptoms 2 days post 1st moderna and is still suffering.  Right now he's on the fence about bailing on the second dose.  Much will hinge on how I feel after my second shot, which will be the week before his is due.  If it's as bad as the first shot of worse, we will likely not vax our 12 year old when it becomes available.  (All the adults in our extended family have at least one dose in or have recovered from prior covid infection.)

FWIW, my 16 year old got her first pfizer this week and I have a son in college. So I just know a lot of teens/very young adults getting vaccinated right now.  And very few of them seem to having any real problems with the vaccines.  My daughter had a sore arm for less than 24 hours with Pfizer #1 and was otherwise bouncing around like her normal self.  She went to a (masked, distanced)  dance class the day after her vaccine.  A friend's son had his 2nd pfizer this week, sore arm, life as usual.  

 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, FuzzyCatz said:

FWIW, my 16 year old got her first pfizer this week and I have a son in college. So I just know a lot of teens/very young adults getting vaccinated right now.  And very few of them seem to having any real problems with the vaccines.  My daughter had a sore arm for less than 24 hours with Pfizer #1 and was otherwise bouncing around like her normal self.  She went to a (masked, distanced)  dance class the day after her vaccine.  A friend's son had his 2nd pfizer this week, sore arm, life as usual.  

Fascinating. If teens wind up with few side effects in general, despite the robust immune systems, do you think that might be for the same reason that they don't usually get serious cases of COVID? (Which was something about the ACE receptors if I remember correctly??) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

Fascinating. If teens wind up with few side effects in general, despite the robust immune systems, do you think that might be for the same reason that they don't usually get serious cases of COVID? (Which was something about the ACE receptors if I remember correctly??) 

Well that's what I was wondering too!  Many of them have super mild cases so maybe it's just no biggie for those young immune systems?   It's seems like maybe the middle age set is getting hit by the vaccine  side affects the hardest?  My 89 FIL and 75 yo mom had no real problem either. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, FuzzyCatz said:

Well that's what I was wondering too!  Many of them have super mild cases so maybe it's just no biggie for those young immune systems?   It's seems like maybe the middle age set is getting hit by the vaccine  side affects the hardest?  My 89 FIL and 75 yo mom had no real problem either. 

That's what it's looking like for me, too, although I personally don't yet know teens who are getting vaccinated. I'll get my sister's data soon though 😄 .  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

FWIW, my 16 year old got her first pfizer this week and I have a son in college. So I just know a lot of teens/very young adults getting vaccinated right now.  And very few of them seem to having any real problems with the vaccines.  My daughter had a sore arm for less than 24 hours with Pfizer #1 and was otherwise bouncing around like her normal self.  She went to a (masked, distanced)  dance class the day after her vaccine.  A friend's son had his 2nd pfizer this week, sore arm, life as usual.  

 

I am almost wondering if we just happened to catch something around the same time we got vaccinated.  It just seems like we are much worse off than average and neither of us has ever had any vaccine reactions.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Syllieann said:

I am almost wondering if we just happened to catch something around the same time we got vaccinated.  It just seems like we are much worse off than average and neither of us has ever had any vaccine reactions.

It is SO random. I doubt you caught something -- some people just seem to be knocked flat by it, and from what I've seen, it's not correlated to strong vaccine reactions in general. 

... I do wonder if it's correlated to expecting to have a severe case of COVID, though. Which also looked very random from where I was standing (except for the usual age correlation.) 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

FWIW, the teens I know are having few to no side effects.

17 yr old male - felt nothing for first shot, mildly sore arm for second.  

Two 16 yr old females - no reaction at all to either shot.  Totally fine.

One 16 yr old female had some mild body aches after the first shot (cleared up with tylenol) and zero response to the second shot.

 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My kids are 18, 20, and 22. They and many of their friends are either partially or fully vaccinated at this point, and none of them have had any reaction other than a little fatigue and arm soreness.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Syllieann said:

I am almost wondering if we just happened to catch something around the same time we got vaccinated.  It just seems like we are much worse off than average and neither of us has ever had any vaccine reactions.

I do know of 2 people who tested positive for COVID within a couple of days of getting their first dose of vaccine. So it does happen. Not caused by the vaccine, of course, Just bad luck/timing. 

 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's my neighborhood info for the week. 25 year old, 2nd Pfizer, felt bad, fever and sweating, first night. Okay next day. 27 year old, had two bad nights, better after 48 hours. 18 year old, no side effects.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ds 17 (1st Pfizer on Thursday) has said no every time I have asked him about any side effects. Oldest ds and dsil got J&J yesterday. Had some flu-ish symptoms last night but nothing too bad. Ds has had a headache today. Of my multiple immediate family members who qualify, that leaves only two who haven't had at least one vaccine, as far as I know, and I'm not sure about those two (their state just opened up recently to their groups). We're making definite progress!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dd18 had a day of flu-like symptoms after her second Pfizer jab. She was glassy-eyed and in bed most of the day. Just fatigued after her first.  A year ago, in April or May, she was clinically diagnosed with Covid toes, for whatever that's worth.

I probably posted her reaction here before, but wanted to add it to the discussion of older teens and side effects.

Dh and I get our second Pfizer shots tomorrow at 8 am! I was crazy exhausted after my first, so we're getting takeout tomorrow night and I cleared my schedule for Monday. 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Second Pfizer shot yesterday. DH and I both had sore arms, which have improved. Today, we both have chills and headaches. His symptoms are worse than mine. He has achiness and fatigue as well. 

Pray-ers, please say a prayer for me. I have to teach Sunday School in the morning. 🙂 I have two subs I could call upon if necessary, but they are both elderly ladies, so I am loathe to do it unless absolutely necessary. 

ETA: So very, very thankful for science and for the shot! 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MercyA said:

Second Pfizer shot yesterday. DH and I both had sore arms, which have improved. Today, we both have chills and headaches. His symptoms are worse than mine. He has achiness and fatigue as well. 

Pray-ers, please say a prayer for me. I have to teach Sunday School in the morning. 🙂 I have two subs I could call upon if necessary, but they are both elderly ladies, so I am loathe to do it unless absolutely necessary. 

ETA: So very, very thankful for science and for the shot! 

In my wife's case, the day after her second Pfizer shot she went to bed. I struggle to recall another occasion in our nearly 30 years together when that's happened. She felt fluish and slept.

But the day after she was back to her old self. And--now that she's past the two week mark--I think she's feeling a sense of liberation (if that's the right way to say it).

I hope and trust that you will feel better tomorrow.

Next Tuesday will be the day after my second dose of Moderna. We will see how that goes. Like you, I'm very thankful for the opportunity.

Bill

 

 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Jaybee said:

Ds 17 (1st Pfizer on Thursday) has said no every time I have asked him about any side effects. Oldest ds and dsil got J&J yesterday. Had some flu-ish symptoms last night but nothing too bad. Ds has had a headache today. Of my multiple immediate family members who qualify, that leaves only two who haven't had at least one vaccine, as far as I know, and I'm not sure about those two (their state just opened up recently to their groups). We're making definite progress!

Quoting myself to say that of the two left that I was unsure of, one of them has had the first vaccine, and the other has the first vaccine coming up on Thursday. I'm so glad!!

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

DH had his first Pfizer yesterday. Barely sore arm, nothing more! He went for an extra-long walk and looked happier than he's looked in a long time. So happy that he's halfway vaccinated! I get my 2nd Pfizer this week. By May 15, we can hug my mom again and visit with her indoors for the first time in 14 months. I'm waiting for the reality of it all to finally sink in. 

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Acadie said:

Dd18 had a day of flu-like symptoms after her second Pfizer jab. She was glassy-eyed and in bed most of the day. Just fatigued after her first.  A year ago, in April or May, she was clinically diagnosed with Covid toes, for whatever that's worth.

I probably posted her reaction here before, but wanted to add it to the discussion of older teens and side effects.

Dh and I get our second Pfizer shots tomorrow at 8 am! I was crazy exhausted after my first, so we're getting takeout tomorrow night and I cleared my schedule for Monday. 

Thanks for posting about this. I’m curious, since IIRC you didn’t have symptoms (or possibly light symptoms) when she had COVID toes, whether your reactions to the vaccines will be similar. DS and I get our first shots in a couple days and I’ve wondered if he will react more as a result of having COVID toes (same timeline as your daughter). Hopefully we can compare experiences! 🙂 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For the late teen data set, my dd's symptoms were the same as mine. The whole family had no reaction other than a sore arm to the first Pfizer vaccine. For the second shot, 18yo dd and I were both down the next day with chills, fatigue, and I had fever but dd never checked since the thermometer was way out in the living room with me. Dh had nothing more than just a touch of fatigue later in the day on the day after the 2nd shot. Disabled dd was hard to tell--I left her in bed with toys and music since I was not well and she sounded happy enough.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, popmom said:

I do know of 2 people who tested positive for COVID within a couple of days of getting their first dose of vaccine. So it does happen. Not caused by the vaccine, of course, Just bad luck/timing. 

 

I was extra extra careful prior to vaccination appointment and afterward, for the first couple of weeks. Totally unsupported by anything, but I don’t think it would be good to encounter the real virus while the immune system is already working on the response, especially with a vaccine that seems to be pretty reactive in some people.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, popmom said:

@MercyAhow did it go this morning? 

You are so sweet to ask! It went fine, but I came home, had something to eat, and went to bed for a couple hours. I feel vaguely flu-ish still--a little headachy and like I don't want anyone to touch me, IYKWIM. But, I'm definitely improving and so is DH.

I had only had three kids today. I did a lesson on the Ascension, with a cute little craft and a game. Love my 1st to 4th graders. 

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, MercyA said:

You are so sweet to ask! It went fine, but I came home, had something to eat, and went to bed for a couple hours. I feel vaguely flu-ish still--a little headachy and like I don't want anyone to touch me, IYKWIM. But, I'm definitely improving and so is DH.

I had only had three kids today. I did a lesson on the Ascension, with a cute little craft and a game. Love my 1st to 4th graders. 

Glad to hear things are improving. Hopefully tomorrow you'll be back to normal and soon any unpleasantness will fade into a distant memory.

So happy to know you and your husband have had both rounds.

Congratulations!

Bill

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/10/2021 at 8:28 AM, HSmomof2 said:

Ds(18) had J&J vaccine about 14 hours ago. Slightly sore arm last night, and he woke up with a headache, achy overall, low fever (~100) this morning. Took some Tylenol and went back to bed. 

Ds(18) is feeling back to normal today, about 36 hours after his vaccine. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My husband had his second Moderna vaccine Friday afternoon.  No side effects at all so far.

The way I look at potential side effects is that they are far preferable to the virus itself.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A question for knowledgable people. Is "feeling bad" after vaccinations a "good thing?" Does that equate to evidence one's body is having a strong (and therefore protective) immune response?

And, conversely, is little to no reaction actually less desirable?

Or is that wrong-headed thinking?

I don't know. But I wonder.

What says Dr Hive?

Bill

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...