Menu

Personal SARS-COV-2 vaccination experiences

12 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Sort of, except I very rarely ever caught what my children had, even stomach viruses. I am just rarely sick. And i cannot die from that.  I can die from this. 

Your chance of dying of a random respiratory bug is probably higher than of dying from the vaccine. Actual viruses have MANY more ways to hurt you than mRNA. 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 9
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I never expected I'd be getting my vaccine so early -- but I got my first Moderna shot today.   I was at the doctor's with my son for an appointment and it was near the end of the day and th

Just got the vaccine! Was just like any other going in lol. Too soon to know about side effects, of course, but I’l keep you posted.

Got my Blue Envelope!  The appointment is this coming Sunday.  Woohoo!

38 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

This will be my second shot of Pfizer. No, I have never had medical anxiety but I am literally panting thinking about it.  But if I show weakness, my husband will say we will just forget about it. He didn't really want it in the first place.  But what if it kills him or me??? 

My BIL has had Pfizer since Dec. He is absolutely fine. He is a doctor, the vaccine helped him get back to normal life with his wife and kids when he was fully or semi isolating before. There was a real possibility of him dying and we had to have conversations about it, that was really hard. Mental health wise very good.

The possibility of you or DH dying of the vaccine is remote vs COVID. Of all the vaccines, Pfizer seems the safest. I have relatives take the Chinese vaccine, the Indian vaccine, the Oxford Astra Zeneca one. All are ok. I have watched friends whose family die of COVID, isolated, not have proper funerals where the family could not go. Deal with an extra layer of grief. Not able to go to my country of origin from here because of travel restrictions even now. COVID did that. The vaccine is the only chance now for that.

Still, all the is just talk. I do not want to minimize your anxiety. I do not know if you are Christian so please ignore if this is not applicable. I pray when I am anxious. I repeat portions of the the bible  verse, Joshua 1:9.

"Be strong and courageous, the Lord thy God is with thee, wither thou goest"

I will hold you in my prayers. 

Edited by Dreamergal
  • Like 9
33 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

I'm just literally so scared...  My heart is racing.  I'm not sure I can do this. 

You can do this.  You might get symptoms.  It's still a better love story than actual Covid.  I'm also a person who rarely gets sick, so I understand the hesitancy to sign up for some side effects.  I'd say 'fake it till you make it' and your family is immunized.  You can lead them through this.

I've been on here complaining very loudly about my symptoms.  I'm just not accustomed to living with discomfort and it's not my normal.  Even though I've had a ridiculous variety of vaccine symptoms, I still haven't felt as bad as my friends who had actual Covid.  Just plan for a few low-energy days and be happy if you feel normal.  My mother is in her 70s and her only symptom was a mild headache.  It didn't interfere with her life at all.

Also, don't be blindsided by The Waves.  I know I've been whining profusely and comically about having a wave of symptoms when I thought I was done, and to be perfectly honest I had ANOTHER FRIGGIN WAVE today.  However, this 'wave' was actually 5 minutes of discomfort in the middle of a mostly normal day.  I definitely feel a great weight lifted since I've secured vaccines for my entire family, even if the process was a bit like The Hunger Games.  The kids and I are fully vaccinated and Dh has a second shot soon.  It feels good to have actual hope for a return to normalcy in the not-to-distant future.

• Like 10
2 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I'm just not accustomed to living with discomfort and it's not my normal.  Even though I've had a ridiculous variety of vaccine symptoms, I still haven't felt as bad as my friends who had actual Covid. 

The person we know best who had COVID was our 20-year old babysitter. She recovered just fine, but she had a LOUSY week. And that's considered a mild disease. 

Yes, there are the people who are totally asymptomatic, but realistically, even mild COVID sucks for a lot of people, including younger people. It's just that people aren't posting about it. 

Heck, I had the flu last year in November and it really really sucked. Way more than anything anyone in my family has gone through with the COVID vaccine. 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 1
33 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Sort of, except I very rarely ever caught what my children had, even stomach viruses. I am just rarely sick. And i cannot die from that.  I can die from this. 

I need to go back and read when you are getting your shot, but you’ve got this!  I thought I was going to die too and made a point to tell everyone I loved them with big hugs “in case I die” before I left for my shot.  Still here though 😁.  You can do this!  And...I have medical anxiety due to a bad reaction from a Medicine (not a vaccine) so I get it!

• Like 4
1 minute ago, mlktwins said:

I need to go back and read when you are getting your shot, but you’ve got this!  I thought I was going to die too and made a point to tell everyone I loved them with big hugs “in case I die” before I left for my shot.  Still here though 😁.  You can do this!  And...I have medical anxiety due to a bad reaction from a Medicine (not a vaccine) so I get it!

Do you know where this fear comes from?  I don't know anyone IRL who is vaccine hesitant, much less afraid of death.  I'm mostly surrounded by people scrambling for any appointments they can  find.  I don't even know if there has been a single case of death directly linked to the vaccine.  Is this a common fear in a particular culture or more of a personal medical anxiety?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, RootAnn said:

Dd#2 had the bulls-eye bandaid & needed it. They hit a blood vessel; there was blood but not a ton. Plus, she said it definitely hurt. (I told her mine hadn't.)

Dd#1 scheduled her second shot & later realized it is during one of her finals. Oops.

Poor dd2!  That sounds pretty awful.

I'm having a terrible time figuring out when to schedule dd's vaccine(s).  I don't want her to do it while she's in school due to reactions (she tends to have strong reactions to vaccines like DH does) but she has no break between finals and her internship starting.  I'm hoping I can get an appt. with her for a Friday night or Saturday and then she has the rest of the weekend off before going back to work on Monday.  I wish her schedule weren't so tight.  😞  

Ds3 got his first Moderna this afternoon.  So far just a very sore arm.  We suspect he had Covid last March but he couldn't get a test back then.  Ds2 had fatigue/low-grade fever/sore arm from his first dose.  DH had fatigue and mild chills/aches from his first dose.  I just had a sore arm and maybe a slight headache/off feeling but it could have been psychological.  Ds1 had a pretty strong reaction to his J&J vaccine.  His girlfriend had Moderna 1 with no side effects.  Ds2's girlfriend had Pfizer one with no reactions.  

• Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Do you know where this fear comes from?  I don't know anyone IRL who is vaccine hesitant, much less afraid of death.  I'm mostly surrounded by people scrambling for any appointments they can  find.  I don't even know if there has been a single case of death directly linked to the vaccine.  Is this a common fear in a particular culture or more of a personal medical anxiety?

Personal medical anxiety for me.  When my twins were 18 months, I went to have a procedure and I had a bad reaction to a medicine I had used before.  911 type of reaction and the nurse was asking someone about a crash cart.  FREAKED ME OUT.  Ever since, I have medical anxiety and it scared me that I would die and leave my babies.  I am a bit better now, but it really did a number on me.  It didn’t stop me from getting the vaccine though.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

I am surrounded by people that are screaming that the vaccine is way more deadly than Covid. That people that get the vaccines are idiots. I know someone who says she personally knows “lots of people” who have died from the vaccine. I know this isn’t true, rationally, but when enough people are screaming it, it can get in your head. It definitely got in mine. 

I still got it but I admit the anti vaxxers got in my head. I told Dh that if I died of the vaccine to make up some other reason because I would feel stupid. Haha- kind of. 

Sorry @TexasProudI get where you are coming from. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
1 minute ago, kand said:

I'm sorry. That must be hard and I can imagine your anxiety was raised because of it. I'm so perplexed how people would possibly think the vaccine is more deadly than Covid. Do they think all the people who have died of Covid were made up, or do they think there are thousands of vaccine deaths that no one knows about, or both?

Both

DS and I both had our first Pfizer shots today. DS got his around 6 hours ago at a mass vax event on campus, and I got mine about 3 hours ago at a local pharmacy. Neither of us have had any reaction at all so far, not even a slightly sore arm. I literally can't tell where I got the shot, even if I push all over the top of my arm. I doubt I'm really going to get off that easy, but hoping it doesn't get too bad later tonight.

• Like 4

Corraleno, do you have a link to the 65+ data?

I've read that the reactions are stronger in younger people.  That correlates to my IRL experience.  The 70+ crowd I know, even the ones with compromising ailments, seem to have experienced few side effects beyond injection site pain.  They encouraged the rest of us to get vaccinated as soon as our tiers opened up.  The 60+ group reported a few more symptoms but nothing worse than a day or two of feeling off and a sore arm.  The 50+ cohort were more mixed, ranging from a sore arm to headaches and flu-like symptoms, but again not lasting more than a day or two.   The under 50s seem to be reacting more strongly.   A significant number report nothing worse than a sore arm, but for those who do have stronger reactions the reactions seem much worse than what older people are reporting.

It could be that older people are more likely to attribute aches and pains to age rather than the vaccine, or that they are more stoic, but it could also be younger immune systems react more strongly.  One article suggested that people who were previously exposed to COVID, even if they exhibited no symptoms, had stronger reactions to the first dose of the vaccine than did people never exposed.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

Quoting myself here. Dh is now approaching 48 hrs post second Moderna. He is better today. He got up on time and got to work. He says he just feels really run down the way you do after you’ve been sick. So he had a pretty serious bout of fatigue/chills/fever/aches. He says he feels better but between y’all and me he looks like crap. Definitely had a rough go of it. Maybe this is what people mean when they say they got the flu from the flu shot. I guarantee there would be no more flu shots here if this was the reaction. 

I’m approaching 24 hours post shot with just some mild arm soreness. Hoping not to have an even more delayed reaction. Surprised it was worse for Dh. I am the one who gets migraines and GI upset triggered by just about any kind of physical stress. I did really rest up and hydrate before and after my shot but who knows?

So recap for my family so far:

Dh- Moderna #1 mild arm soreness

Moderna #2 pretty significant  flu symptoms for 36 hours or so 

Me- Moderna #1 mild soreness

Moderna #2 mild soreness (so far...24 hours post shot)

Ds 18 yo- Phizer #1 - no side effects

Ds 22 yo- Phizer #1- no side effects

But here is something crazy if we are crowd sourcing reactions- Ds 22 yo texted me joking that chapped lips must be a side effect. He said he has never had chapped lips or used chapstick in his life but had to run out on his lunch hour to buy some because his lips were crazy chapped. He said he has never experienced anything like that and it happened the day after his shot. I do know there have been some reports of skin sensitivities so I thought I throw that out there. I am not saying chapped lips are a side effect!

9 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

DH is off work today under protest. He is up and about because he cannot sit still. But I have warned him very strictly about working out. So did BIL. No temperature. He says he is ok, but he tends to power through illness so both BIL and I said we do not trust him when he said so, he was not amused. 

I had a bit of body ache and was standing under a hot shower last night when I felt fatigue hit me. I was literally sleeping under the shower. I did not know if people could drown under a shower so I got out. 

I can also personally report the GI thing is true. 

Other than that, we are ok. Friends will drop off lunch and dinner again and tomorrow. DH tried stopping that, but was lectured that he needs to rest by my friend. I will stop tomorrow's delivery but my friends will lecture me. 

DH is grumpy today because he cannot do anything he considers productive He needs to do something, I have sent DD to bug him. She will keep him amused. 

I am still in bed, still in PJs, still taking time off. Not fatigued, just lazy. I shall be up tomorrow. 

If he feels ok, why can't he do something productive? If he feels tired later, he can rest, right? 

2 hours ago, TexasProud said:

This will be my second shot of Pfizer. No, I have never had medical anxiety but I am literally panting thinking about it.  But if I show weakness, my husband will say we will just forget about it. He didn't really want it in the first place.  But what if it kills him or me??? 

Why would you think that? I mean, do you panic when you serve him dinner, worried he could choke and die? 

Plus, realistically, if it was going to kill you, it would have happened the first dose. If your body just truly was some anomaly that couldn't handle it and reacted that badly, you'd know already. 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

f he feels ok, why can't he do something productive? If he feels tired later, he can rest, right

DH's version of productive is up early, work out an hour and a full day of work. Nothing less. So he did school with DD today who definitely inherited her energy from him. He felt fatigued later and napped 4 hours. Feels better. He is one of those types who needs to do something, not laze around. 

We are feeling symptoms in waves. Body pain and fatigue, gets lesser each time though. Do not want to get temperature which he had yesterday. We do not want to take medication unless we feel bad.. He went to work yesterday until he could not because symptoms hit hard and worked out a full hour before that. It is my unscientific yet wifely opinion that it caused the the whole temperature flare and mega exhaustion. Parking oneself on the bed and lazing around helps in recovery is also my unscientific belief and a hill I will die on. 🤣

22 minutes ago, Sherry in OH said:

Corraleno, do you have a link to the 65+ data?

Here are the charts for the older age groups (each vaccine divides the age groups slightly differently)

Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 7.18.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 7.18.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 7.18.45 PM.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

DH and I are 24 hours post 2nd Pfizer shot.  About 4 hours in, I needed to take a nap.  The rest of the night was really rough...chills, severe headache, fatigue.  It felt like the flu.  I'm starting to feel a lot better now, but I'll keep that a secret.  My MIL decided to come to town, so I may have to suffer side effects for another 4 days.  😉  It's best if I stay in bed and not witness her quizzing my homeschoolers to see if they have actually learned anything this year.  😡

I had quite a bit of anxiety about the side effects.  To prepare myself mentally, I envisioned my post shot experience like my natural childbirths.  I knew it would be rough, but in 24 hours I would be done...and I would be with a new, sweet little baby.  Now I have a new, sweet "immunity baby", which makes me so happy.  I get to look forward to all of the good that comes from this new "baby" - vacations, hugs, parties with vaccinated friends.  It's worth it. 

One last thing for those of you with anxiety (well, anyone getting the shot).  If you can, plan to stay home and rest for 24 hours post shot.  Make yourself some soup the day before, clean up your bedroom, change the sheets, find your favorite pjs, get a movie ready on Netflix.  Just prepare like you're about to have a homebirth. 😉  Know that you may have a rough go, but it will end.  Focus on how fortunate you are.  Be brave.  You can do it!!  Enjoy your immunity baby!!

• Like 12
2 minutes ago, rainbird2 said:

I had quite a bit of anxiety about the side effects.  To prepare myself mentally, I envisioned my post shot experience like my natural childbirths.  I knew it would be rough, but in 24 hours I would be done...and I would be with a new, sweet little baby.  Now I have a new, sweet "immunity baby", which makes me so happy.  I get to look forward to all of the good that comes from this new "baby" - vacations, hugs, parties with vaccinated friends.  It's worth it. 

Ooooooh. That's a cool way to think of it! I like that 😄

8 hours ago, rainbird2 said:

I was a bit nervous about the side effects of the second shot but thought this as well. It is known you might have some side effects. There is no reason to be worried when those occurr. Like I do with regular illness I did what I felt I could do. I worked out the morning after my second shot but took it easy because I felt a little off. After breakfast I started getting tired and did nothing but lay around after that. I ended up with a fever, fatigue, aches and pains. By the next morning I was feeling better and worked out again.

After my first shot I felt nothing but a barely sore arm so I did everything as normal.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 5

My white blood count is always low and I'm wondering if the vaccine won't be as effective for me.  I didn't have any side effects from my first dose and I go for my second next week.  I'm actually hoping for a reaction so I know my body is doing something.  I'm concerned I don't have enough white blood cells to trigger a good immune response.  

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Good luck!! You can do it!! Just relax after the shot 🙂 . 

Nope. Have tons of errands. My husband has us going to the plant store so we can plant all of our spring stuff and replace the stuff we lost in the freeze. I have tons of school stuff over the next 2 weeks as well. So cannot stop.  Do not have time to stop. 

5 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Nope. Have tons of errands. My husband has us going to the plant store so we can plant all of our spring stuff and replace the stuff we lost in the freeze. I have tons of school stuff over the next 2 weeks as well. So cannot stop.  Do not have time to stop. 

Eeeek. That seems unwise. Well... hopefully it'll distract you. 

35 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Leaving in 45 minutes.  So scared.

Just saw this - you're almost there!  You got this and we're all here for you!

• Like 2

Received J&J shot yesterday midday. Slightly sore arm. No other side effects. I was second to last extended family member to be vaccinated (minus under 16 crowd). Super easy experience. Drive through with thousands (not hyperbole) of others. Plus DS had 2 regular immunizations this week, so I had to not give in to fear and stress since he didn’t. 😉

Thought I might have a sense of relief, but it’s business as usual today, jam-packed with kid activities and things to do. But we have been avid mask wearers and covid-cautious from the start. Ready for kiddos to be vaccinated too, so maybe we can start to put all this behind us. 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Kanin said:

You'll do great! Hang in there!

Done.  Shot was easy.  Hubby said if he dies, he is putting “ She made me do it “ on his tombstone.  He hates doctors and needles.  Has not had a check up in forever.  

• Like 12
  • Haha 6

Ds(18) had J&J vaccine about 14 hours ago. Slightly sore arm last night, and he woke up with a headache, achy overall, low fever (~100) this morning. Took some Tylenol and went back to bed. 

• Like 5
47 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Done.  Shot was easy.  Hubby said if he dies, he is putting “ She made me do it “ on his tombstone.  He hates doctors and needles.  Has not had a check up in forever.  

Awesome! Good for you. Good that hubby is joking around, I think! Mine is the same - he hasn't been to the doc in years.

I agree that moving your arm as much as possible can really help. I was literally carrying around a little 2 lb dumbbell yesterday and any time I was sitting down, I would do arm circles and curls and stuff with it, and my arm didn't hurt at all when I went to bed. Woke up with a really sore arm from not moving it, so I grabbed the dumbbell again, and now I barely notice it.

• Like 8
49 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

I agree that moving your arm as much as possible can really help. I was literally carrying around a little 2 lb dumbbell yesterday and any time I was sitting down, I would do arm circles and curls and stuff with it, and my arm didn't hurt at all when I went to bed. Woke up with a really sore arm from not moving it, so I grabbed the dumbbell again, and now I barely notice it.

Good to know!   Just got my first shot 🥳 so far so good, but it's only been about an hour and a half - we'll have to see how things go over the next day or so!

• Like 3
1 minute ago, kand said:

Do chicken wing flaps for a couple minutes every half hour or so. Mine got quite sore the day of, but was mostly better by 24 hours.

Flapping now! 😂

Just did 'arm day' this morning - wonder if that would make things better or worse? 

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Haha 6
22 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Good to know!   Just got my first shot 🥳 so far so good, but it's only been about an hour and a half - we'll have to see how things go over the next day or so!

Hydrate more than usual. Orange juice helps too. 

• Like 3

The nurse who did my shot told me to move the arm more than usual and drink more than usual.  I had no arm pain except a bit if it was pressed on the morning after my shot.   I sat holding a small squeeze ball so I would remember to keep moving the arm. 

• Like 3

I'm 3 days out from 1 st Pfizer now and I feel completely back to normal after a day and a half of mild flu-like symptoms.

DH started flu like symptoms 2 days post 1st moderna and is still suffering.  Right now he's on the fence about bailing on the second dose.  Much will hinge on how I feel after my second shot, which will be the week before his is due.  If it's as bad as the first shot of worse, we will likely not vax our 12 year old when it becomes available.  (All the adults in our extended family have at least one dose in or have recovered from prior covid infection.)

Edited by Syllieann
  • Sad 1
14 minutes ago, Syllieann said:

I'm 3 days out from 1 st Pfizer now and I feel completely back to normal after a day and a half of mild flu-like symptoms.

DH started flu like symptoms 2 days post 1st moderna and is still suffering.  Right now he's on the fence about bailing on the second dose.  Much will hinge on how I feel after my second shot, which will be the week before his is due.  If it's as bad as the first shot of worse, we will likely not vax our 12 year old when it becomes available.  (All the adults in our extended family have at least one dose in or have recovered from prior covid infection.)

FWIW, my 16 year old got her first pfizer this week and I have a son in college. So I just know a lot of teens/very young adults getting vaccinated right now.  And very few of them seem to having any real problems with the vaccines.  My daughter had a sore arm for less than 24 hours with Pfizer #1 and was otherwise bouncing around like her normal self.  She went to a (masked, distanced)  dance class the day after her vaccine.  A friend's son had his 2nd pfizer this week, sore arm, life as usual.  

• Like 8
1 minute ago, FuzzyCatz said:

FWIW, my 16 year old got her first pfizer this week and I have a son in college. So I just know a lot of teens/very young adults getting vaccinated right now.  And very few of them seem to having any real problems with the vaccines.  My daughter had a sore arm for less than 24 hours with Pfizer #1 and was otherwise bouncing around like her normal self.  She went to a (masked, distanced)  dance class the day after her vaccine.  A friend's son had his 2nd pfizer this week, sore arm, life as usual.  

Fascinating. If teens wind up with few side effects in general, despite the robust immune systems, do you think that might be for the same reason that they don't usually get serious cases of COVID? (Which was something about the ACE receptors if I remember correctly??) 

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

Fascinating. If teens wind up with few side effects in general, despite the robust immune systems, do you think that might be for the same reason that they don't usually get serious cases of COVID? (Which was something about the ACE receptors if I remember correctly??) 

Well that's what I was wondering too!  Many of them have super mild cases so maybe it's just no biggie for those young immune systems?   It's seems like maybe the middle age set is getting hit by the vaccine  side affects the hardest?  My 89 FIL and 75 yo mom had no real problem either. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, FuzzyCatz said:

Well that's what I was wondering too!  Many of them have super mild cases so maybe it's just no biggie for those young immune systems?   It's seems like maybe the middle age set is getting hit by the vaccine  side affects the hardest?  My 89 FIL and 75 yo mom had no real problem either. 

That's what it's looking like for me, too, although I personally don't yet know teens who are getting vaccinated. I'll get my sister's data soon though 😄 .  

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

I am almost wondering if we just happened to catch something around the same time we got vaccinated.  It just seems like we are much worse off than average and neither of us has ever had any vaccine reactions.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Syllieann said:

I am almost wondering if we just happened to catch something around the same time we got vaccinated.  It just seems like we are much worse off than average and neither of us has ever had any vaccine reactions.

It is SO random. I doubt you caught something -- some people just seem to be knocked flat by it, and from what I've seen, it's not correlated to strong vaccine reactions in general. 

... I do wonder if it's correlated to expecting to have a severe case of COVID, though. Which also looked very random from where I was standing (except for the usual age correlation.) 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 4

FWIW, the teens I know are having few to no side effects.

17 yr old male - felt nothing for first shot, mildly sore arm for second.  

Two 16 yr old females - no reaction at all to either shot.  Totally fine.

One 16 yr old female had some mild body aches after the first shot (cleared up with tylenol) and zero response to the second shot.

• Like 6

My kids are 18, 20, and 22. They and many of their friends are either partially or fully vaccinated at this point, and none of them have had any reaction other than a little fatigue and arm soreness.

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Syllieann said:

I do know of 2 people who tested positive for COVID within a couple of days of getting their first dose of vaccine. So it does happen. Not caused by the vaccine, of course, Just bad luck/timing. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Here's my neighborhood info for the week. 25 year old, 2nd Pfizer, felt bad, fever and sweating, first night. Okay next day. 27 year old, had two bad nights, better after 48 hours. 18 year old, no side effects.

• Like 4