Jump to content

Menu

Personal SARS-COV-2 vaccination experiences


JennyD

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I plan to get the next shot when I have a couple days off afterward.  I feel like I have a mild flu today and my arm is very sore.  This seems to be what everyone I know is experiencing.  Of course I work overnight tonight and then work Saturday am to Monday am straight. Next shot I will plan better. 

Thanks for the update. This is what I will expect when I get my turn. Even this year's flu shot had me very fatigued the next day. If they do this as a school-district-sponsored thing, I hope it's on a Friday afternoon. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not exactly a story of receiving the shot yet, but my dad's assisted living is saying when they get the shots completed, residents will no longer have to wear masks. Or put another way, the decline shot form says you acknowledge doing so means you will *have* to continue to wear masks. So that's kind of exciting. They're under lockdown AGAIN because a staff member tested positive. Thankfully it's only 7 days this time since the CDC has been shortening it. But still, not fun. So the sooner that ends, the better!

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A distant relative, age 66, got vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine last Monday (in Israel), was exposed to the virus on Wednesday, and tested positive two days ago.  Bad news is that she exposed all of her grown kids and their kids on Friday in their last-Friday-night-dinner-together-before-third-lockdown extravangaza.  They are all waiting for test results.  Good news is that she's still feeling just fine.  Hopefully those antibodies in her system are doing something, even if it's wasn't enough to prevent infection.

 

  • Like 4
  • Sad 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JennyD said:

A distant relative, age 66, got vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine last Monday (in Israel), was exposed to the virus on Wednesday, and tested positive two days ago.  Bad news is that she exposed all of her grown kids and their kids on Friday in their last-Friday-night-dinner-together-before-third-lockdown extravangaza.  They are all waiting for test results.  Good news is that she's still feeling just fine.  Hopefully those antibodies in her system are doing something, even if it's wasn't enough to prevent infection.

 

Did this relative get BOTH doses?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

These stories are so exciting to read! I'm excited to see more and more positive vaccination stories as the weeks go on!

In our state, it looks like I should be able to get mine during Phase Two. I am so excited!!!

Kids and dh will have to wait a while longer... but hopefully DD2 will be able to get hers soon while she's away at college. I told her that if it looks like she might be able to get it sooner in our home state, I'll drive to get her and we'll round-trip it! lol

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wanted to give an update on my vaccine experience in case it’s relevant to someone else.

I had the Pfizer vaccine Dec 21st. I got a headache, fairly mild, almost immediately afterwards. I initially dismissed it as coincidental, but having read others’ experiences, I think it’s possible it was related. It really wasn’t too bad and was completely relieved by 1 ibuprofen later in the afternoon. My arm was sore, about like the flu shot, but did seem to come and go which was different. That lasted about 2 days then was gone completely. It certainly wasn’t worse than a flu shot for me.

On the 25th I woke up and was fine, but a few hours later I started sneezing a lot and had a runny nose and sort of cold like symptoms. I did feel really exhausted though, and had to lie down several times, got up to finish cooking and eating Christmas dinner, and then spent most of the evening snoozing on the couch and went to bed early. The next day I still felt really tired and the sneezing and cold symptoms came and went throughout the day. No fever, and I kept checking I could smell things, but, as I had to work on Monday, I went and had a Covid test which was negative.

The next day I woke up and felt completely fine. In fact my cold symptoms seemed to completely disappear the previous afternoon, which was strange. I thought I must have caught a cold somehow, which seemed weird because I’ve been careful with masking and staying home, and I thought the exhaustion was my body dealing with the cold and the vaccine. I really think that it was a somewhat delayed vaccine reaction though. I have never had cold symptoms vanish suddenly, rather than slowly fade, and it was weird how they came and went while I was experiencing them.

I have since read a couple of other similar accounts, so thought it might be useful to others to hear. I’m definitely getting the second shot on the 11th though. Hasn’t put me off.

  • Like 19
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got the Moderna vaccine the morning of Dec 30th at work.  I am a social worker in homeless services at a VA clinic.
The shot was uneventful. No pain or burning. My annual flu shot usually hurts during the initial stick and burns as it’s being administered. No symptoms for the rest of the work day. Developed a pretty relentless headache that night and it continued off and on throughout the next day. I took ibuprofen, which helped, but the second it wore off, the headache was back.  
The next day, Dec 31st, I worked but was extremely fatigued and ended up falling asleep around 8 PM instead of staying awake for NYE, which is very unusual for me. None of this has been debilitating or life altering, just noticeable.
Today is Jan 1st. I feel fine. I think I’m back to normal, but it’s the weekend and I wouldn’t be doing much anyway. I fully plan to get my next dose at 28 days, but will probably take the next day or two off just in case I have a more pronounced reaction. 

  • Like 15
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/18/2020 at 1:28 PM, JennyD said:

Have your friends and/or family been vaccinated?  Tell us all about it! 

My daughter-n-law, a nurse, was vaccinated (first shot of the Moderna vaccine) last week, just before Christmas. My stepson, a firefighter/paramedic wasn't in the first group to be vaccinated and that's a big complaint in my area - the fact that first responders weren't among the first. However, ddil's health/hospital group offered the vaccine to spouses of those who were vaccinated so he was able to get it through her work. He got the first shot Monday. Ddil said the injection site was very painful, much more so than the flu shot or any other shot that she's ever had. Other than that, she had no side effects.

I qualified for my county health department's free vaccination due to my age but I wasn't able to get an appointment. Our state's way of handling this is a huge clusterf*#k and even made national news. My county's appointments are currently full through February and they just opened it up for appointments on Tuesday. I'm hoping to get an appt. when they get more vaccines but their phone line and website are nearly impossible to get through. Those people who did just got lucky. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

My daughter-n-law, a nurse, was vaccinated (first shot of the Moderna vaccine) last week, just before Christmas. My stepson, a firefighter/paramedic wasn't in the first group to be vaccinated and that's a big complaint in my area - the fact that first responders weren't among the first. However, ddil's health/hospital group offered the vaccine to spouses of those who were vaccinated so he was able to get it through her work. He got the first shot Monday. Ddil said the injection site was very painful, much more so than the flu shot or any other shot that she's ever had. Other than that, she had no side effects.

I qualified for my county health department's free vaccination due to my age but I wasn't able to get an appointment. Our state's way of handling this is a huge clusterf*#k and even made national news. My county's appointments are currently full through February and they just opened it up for appointments on Tuesday. I'm hoping to get an appt. when they get more vaccines but their phone line and website are nearly impossible to get through. Those people who did just got lucky. 

Wow! I wish my husband’s hospital would do something similar for spouses. It’s amazing how different distribution is everywhere.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

I qualified for my county health department's free vaccination due to my age but I wasn't able to get an appointment. Our state's way of handling this is a huge clusterf*#k and even made national news. My county's appointments are currently full through February and they just opened it up for appointments on Tuesday. I'm hoping to get an appt. when they get more vaccines but their phone line and website are nearly impossible to get through. Those people who did just got lucky. 

We were pleasantly surprised to hear that dh's parents were able to make an appt and get vaccinated yesterday. They're over 80 and in Orlando.

Oregon is currently vaccinating about 5k per day. I really hope the pace picks up next week. 38,696 through 12/30 (mid-December they were saying we would have 100k by end of December). I learned from my disabled dd's county case manager that they're talking about getting all of their clients (eg dd) vaccinated in an early wave, but that's not for sure yet.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Frances said:

Wow! I wish my husband’s hospital would do something similar for spouses. It’s amazing how different distribution is everywhere.

I’m wondering if they are doing that to make sure they use up extra doses as a number of HCWS are declining to get it - especially nurses. Their reasons, or at least the ones I’ve heard, show that they don’t seem to really have a good understanding of the vaccine. I think it’s sad because I think nurses can exert a lot of influence with patients and people they know, and this may very well put people off unnecessarily.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TCB said:

I’m wondering if they are doing that to make sure they use up extra doses as a number of HCWS are declining to get it - especially nurses. Their reasons, or at least the ones I’ve heard, show that they don’t seem to really have a good understanding of the vaccine. I think it’s sad because I think nurses can exert a lot of influence with patients and people they know, and this may very well put people off unnecessarily.

It could be. My husband got his earlier than expected because of people ahead of him declining and because they’ve been able to   sometimes get extra doses out of the vials. He was working at night and they were calling around the hospital trying to find someone who wanted one of the final ones left that day.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My son, a PA, had a first dose of the Pfizer vaccine the Wednesday before Christmas.  That day, his arm HURT.  The next day, he noticed it aching on and off.  By Friday (Christmas), everything felt completely normal.  He's expecting the second dose to be rougher, but this first one was pretty mild.

 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

We were pleasantly surprised to hear that dh's parents were able to make an appt and get vaccinated yesterday. They're over 80 and in Orlando.

Oregon is currently vaccinating about 5k per day. I really hope the pace picks up next week. 38,696 through 12/30 (mid-December they were saying we would have 100k by end of December). I learned from my disabled dd's county case manager that they're talking about getting all of their clients (eg dd) vaccinated in an early wave, but that's not for sure yet.

It still seems to be a bit of a mystery as to who will be next in Oregon and how it will be done. My son has been a volunteer long term care ombudsman for several years. Even though his supervisors are state employees, they don’t yet know anything about if these volunteers will get any priority, despite the fact that they have lost so many during the pandemic and normally these volunteers would be in their facilities every week checking on residents and advocating for them. Edited to add that the vast majority of these volunteers are elderly, so while my son would be ok going back to his facilities when allowed with only PPE, I’m guessing most would not be willing without the vaccine.

I don’t know if it’s already been posted, but WV has already finished vaccines at all of their long term care facilities and leads the nation in percentage of vaccines administered relative to received. Very impressive.

https://governor.wv.gov/News/press-releases/2020/Pages/COVID-19-UPDATE-Gov.-Justice-announces-most-schools-to-return-to-in-person-classes;-more-vaccinations.aspx

Edited by Frances
  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

All but one of my health care worker friends has had it now.  Fatigue is the only symptom anyone's mentioned.

My MIL is in her state's first cohort by age, but her county is still doing their 1A HCWs, so she doesn't know when she'll be eligible.  My parents miss the age cutoff by a few months, but Dad might get it earlier through the VA.  I think he feels a little guilty about that, because he keeps saying that at least if Mom gets sick he'll be able to take care of her instead of both of them being sick at the same time.  

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

My daughter-n-law, a nurse, was vaccinated (first shot of the Moderna vaccine) last week, just before Christmas. My stepson, a firefighter/paramedic wasn't in the first group to be vaccinated and that's a big complaint in my area - the fact that first responders weren't among the first. However, ddil's health/hospital group offered the vaccine to spouses of those who were vaccinated so he was able to get it through her work. He got the first shot Monday. Ddil said the injection site was very painful, much more so than the flu shot or any other shot that she's ever had. Other than that, she had no side effects.

I qualified for my county health department's free vaccination due to my age but I wasn't able to get an appointment. Our state's way of handling this is a huge clusterf*#k and even made national news. My county's appointments are currently full through February and they just opened it up for appointments on Tuesday. I'm hoping to get an appt. when they get more vaccines but their phone line and website are nearly impossible to get through. Those people who did just got lucky. 

Yup - my dad spent hours and hours trying to get an appointment - as if it was a full time job - and he managed to luck out and snag two for him and my mom for the end of the month. Once again, Florida is making news for incompetence. Not a surprise. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

Yup - my dad spent hours and hours trying to get an appointment - as if it was a full time job - and he managed to luck out and snag two for him and my mom for the end of the month. Once again, Florida is making news for incompetence. Not a surprise. 

Many states haven’t even announced plans yet for vaccinating the elderly outside of long term care facilities and group homes. I’ve been keeping an eye on my state, my mom’s, and my MILs. So while it does sounds like a mess for a rollout in FL, at least they are doing something about the next stage.

Edited by Frances
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ll be getting Moderna vaccine on Monday morning. My only concern is that I go into work in the afternoon AND evening afterwards. I hope my arm doesn’t hurt too much.  It would be nice if I had the next day off, but I won’t. I could have scheduled it later, but I’m eager to get it. I work as a dentist and it will be such a relief!

  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had mine today (technically yesterday since it's just after midnight).  My arm is a little sore - similar to a flu shot.  I worked a full shift post vaccination without any issues.

  • Like 19
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/1/2021 at 2:09 PM, TCB said:

I’m wondering if they are doing that to make sure they use up extra doses as a number of HCWS are declining to get it - especially nurses. Their reasons, or at least the ones I’ve heard, show that they don’t seem to really have a good understanding of the vaccine. I think it’s sad because I think nurses can exert a lot of influence with patients and people they know, and this may very well put people off unnecessarily.

You mean like, "If healthcare workers won't get it, that says a lot..." kind of posts on FB. Yep, seeing them.

I would really like to take the place of one of the 50% of healthcare workers that refuse. I don't want to bump anyone down the line that needs it more, but if part of the slowness for the rollout is that they don't want to waste any and that they are having people wait, distanced, which means slower throughput. It might actually be faster to have spouses tag along and take the extra doses because they could vaccinate and distance in pairs. DH already has his first dose though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My SIL had a vaccine reaction and wound up in the ER. She had a very high heart rate and shortness of breath. She has no medical conditions or hx of anxiety, so the ER attributed it to the vaccine.  The effects went away in a couple of hours.
 

She’s the only person I’ve heard of IRL having that extreme of a reaction.  Sore arm and fatigue seem to be the most common.

  • Sad 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My mom (79) is scheduled to get the Moderna vaccine on Saturday.  She was able to make an appointment through her regular health care provider (which has a special geriatrics division).  They said they will schedule the follow up vaccine at the time she receives the first injection.

DD has a friend who received the vaccine this past week; she works at a military base and everyone in her office was vaccinated.  She reports that they all felt lousy the following day, so much that almost all did not go into work (10 people in her office).

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bootsie said:

My mom (79) is scheduled to get the Moderna vaccine on Saturday.  She was able to make an appointment through her regular health care provider (which has a special geriatrics division).  They said they will schedule the follow up vaccine at the time she receives the first injection.

DD has a friend who received the vaccine this past week; she works at a military base and everyone in her office was vaccinated.  She reports that they all felt lousy the following day, so much that almost all did not go into work (10 people in her office).

Interesting.  This hasn't been the experience at my hospital at all.  Everyone seems to get a sore arm, but is able to carry on with work.  No other reported side effects, and no-one has needed time off.   We've all had the Pfizer vaccine.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just musing:  I wonder if there is an element of social contagion regarding the more subjective side effects.  If media hype regarding side effects and hearing the experiences of others side effects causes one to expect to feel rotten, and if that expectation actually causes one to feel more unwell than one might otherwise.

I mean, anaphylaxis is objective, and that's not what I'm talking about.  More about subjective side effects like fatigue, degree of arm pain, degree of headache etc.  And workplace culture regarding sick days (paid vs unpaid etc)

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, wathe said:

Just musing:  I wonder if there is an element of social contagion regarding the more subjective side effects.  If media hype regarding side effects and hearing the experiences of others side effects causes one to expect to feel rotten, and if that expectation actually causes one to feel more unwell than one might otherwise.

I mean, anaphylaxis is objective, and that's not what I'm talking about.  More about subjective side effects like fatigue, degree of arm pain, degree of headache etc.  And workplace culture regarding sick days (paid vs unpaid etc)

It wouldn't be surprising. The same way that political persuasion seemed to inexplicably correlate to inability to breathe in a mask in a way it never had before... 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am on the "don't-work-don't-eat" plan, by the way.   My colleagues and I are very motivated to show up to work, even if mild-moderately unwell.  Which has it's own set of issues, for sure.

Other workers in my department who are union with benefits take way more sick days in general.  I'm paying attention to how reported side effects plays out between the two groups.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wathe said:

Interesting.  This hasn't been the experience at my hospital at all.  Everyone seems to get a sore arm, but is able to carry on with work.  No other reported side effects, and no-one has needed time off.   We've all had the Pfizer vaccine.

I found it surprising.  I don't know which vaccine it was.  I also find it interesting that it was a holiday week where there may be a lot of 'can't come into the office' anyway.  Also, I wondered if any were in a situation where they had sick leave that would expire at the end of the year; it was the last week of the year, so any mild issue might be an incentive to take a day of sick leave.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Not_a_Number said:

It wouldn't be surprising. The same way that political persuasion seemed to inexplicably correlate to inability to breathe in a mask in a way it never had before... 

That’s so true! 😂I definitely feel like an oddball these days......a conservative, Christian, homeschooler, pro-vaccine, pro-science, pro-mask and social distancing......after seeing such bad behavior and conspiracy bs from so many ‘friends’ and acquaintances, we’re going to have to start over making new friends when this is over.....though it’s cleared up why we never really fit in.....

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, kbutton said:

You mean like, "If healthcare workers won't get it, that says a lot..." kind of posts on FB. Yep, seeing them.

I would really like to take the place of one of the 50% of healthcare workers that refuse. I don't want to bump anyone down the line that needs it more, but if part of the slowness for the rollout is that they don't want to waste any and that they are having people wait, distanced, which means slower throughput. It might actually be faster to have spouses tag along and take the extra doses because they could vaccinate and distance in pairs. DH already has his first dose though.

This is how my BIL, who works in health, care got vaccinated as quickly as he did. He does have contact with patients, but not Covid patients. Long story short: the hospital had doses that needed to get used up by X o'clock, or they had to be discarded. They were offered to *any* hospital staff member that wanted them until the extra doses were used up. So the lady that works in the gift shop got vaccinated because one of the ER nurses turned down the vaccine. My BIL happened to be in the right place at the right time for his vaccine. 

Edited by MissLemon
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Bootsie said:

 

DD has a friend who received the vaccine this past week; she works at a military base and everyone in her office was vaccinated.  She reports that they all felt lousy the following day, so much that almost all did not go into work (10 people in her office).

My brother and his wife are both active duty military healthcare workers. They were told by their unit two weeks before being vaccinated that they should expect to take the day after the vaccination off work because they wouldn't feel well.

My guess is that's what other military clinics are telling their people as well, so that's what people are doing.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MissLemon said:

This is how my BIL, who works in health, care got vaccinated as quickly as he did. He does have contact with patients, but not Covid patients. Long story short: the hospital had doses that needed to get used up by X o'clock, or they had to be discarded. They were offered to *any* hospital staff member that wanted them until the extra doses were used up. So the lady that works in the gift shop got vaccinated because one of the ER nurses turned down the vaccine. My BIL happened to be in the right place at the right time for his vaccine. 

My husband’s workplace is also doing this and I hope all places do. While I understand the priority rankings, I certainly hope no place allows vaccines to expire rather than taking any comers, even it means going out of order. That and a much more rapid pace of getting vaccines into arms are my two current wishes. My husband and his coworkers are a bit perplexed as to why no state or county agency has contacted them about volunteering at vaccination clinics nor has there been any general call here for volunteers. There are so many healthcare workers who have been trained to give immunizations and could be rapidly trained and deployed to give Covid vaccines. My husband has significantly more days off than he works each month and would be happy to volunteer during some of his free time.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/1/2021 at 8:10 PM, Frances said:

Many states haven’t even announced plans yet for vaccinating the elderly outside of long term care facilities and group homes. I’ve been keeping an eye on my state, my mom’s, and my MILs. So while it does sounds like a mess for a rollout in FL, at least they are doing something about the next stage.

Well, it's not the next stage for us - our governor decided to ignore the CDC guidelines and moved things around. So anyone 65 and older can get vaccinated in theory - but not first responders like police, fire fighters, or teachers. And Covid is running rampant through the police departments and fire departments. 

  • Confused 2
  • Sad 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Well, it's not the next stage for us - our governor decided to ignore the CDC guidelines and moved things around. So anyone 65 and older can get vaccinated in theory - but not first responders like police, fire fighters, or teachers. And Covid is running rampant through the police departments and fire departments. 

It's not obviously the wrong way to go, actually. I'm not a fan of your governor, but there's something to be said for just vaccinating the older folks first. Of course, you'd have to do it right to actually DO it. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got my first dose right before Christmas. I had a bit of a sore arm, kind of like a tetanus shot. No fever, no generalized symptoms. All the other docs at my office, and my SIL who is a doc have gotten it with similar minimal side effects. Same with the nurses and front desk staff at our office. 

  • Like 19
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Alice said:

I got my first dose right before Christmas. I had a bit of a sore arm, kind of like a tetanus shot. No fever, no generalized symptoms. All the other docs at my office, and my SIL who is a doc have gotten it with similar minimal side effects. Same with the nurses and front desk staff at our office. 

Thanks for joining in here.   I appreciate information directly from doctors and other medical professionals.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got my Moderna vaccine yesterday. Sore arm a few hours afterwards, but no different from any other vaccine. I was able to go into work (dentist) immediately afterwards and work the afternoon and evening. Four more weeks until next shot! I'm ready and excited!

  • Like 16
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/4/2021 at 9:11 AM, Not_a_Number said:

It's not obviously the wrong way to go, actually. I'm not a fan of your governor, but there's something to be said for just vaccinating the older folks first. Of course, you'd have to do it right to actually DO it. 

I'm certainly glad my parents are going to be protected, but from a public safety standpoint I wish we were also doing first responders. My hometown's police force is being totally knocked out by Covid right now 😞

  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I'm certainly glad my parents are going to be protected, but from a public safety standpoint I wish we were also doing first responders. My hometown's police force is being totally knocked out by Covid right now 😞

I wish we had the data on how much it cuts transmission.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...