Menu

Personal SARS-COV-2 vaccination experiences

DS19--in college in Minnesota--found an appointment for Tuesday at a Walmart! He spent all day yesterday (first day of expanded eligibility there) fretting and refreshing websites (no car, so he had to find something close enough for a bus or LYFT ride), and then he finally found one right when Walmart released appointments at midnight (or I guess it's 11 in MN--that's when he texted me). So he'll be about a week out from dose #2 by the time he needs to fly home, and all of us who CAN be vaccinated will be well before summer and our plans to go see my in-laws. 

• Like 10
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I never expected I'd be getting my vaccine so early -- but I got my first Moderna shot today.   I was at the doctor's with my son for an appointment and it was near the end of the day and th

Just got the vaccine! Was just like any other going in lol. Too soon to know about side effects, of course, but I’l keep you posted.

Got my Blue Envelope!  The appointment is this coming Sunday.  Woohoo!

14 minutes ago, kokotg said:

DS19--in college in Minnesota--found an appointment for Tuesday at a Walmart! He spent all day yesterday (first day of expanded eligibility there) fretting and refreshing websites (no car, so he had to find something close enough for a bus or LYFT ride), and then he finally found one right when Walmart released appointments at midnight (or I guess it's 11 in MN--that's when he texted me). So he'll be about a week out from dose #2 by the time he needs to fly home, and all of us who CAN be vaccinated will be well before summer and our plans to go see my in-laws. 

I’ve now had two students email me that they’ll be missing class to get the vaccine.  I’ve never been so pleased to get a “I won’t be in class on [date]” email.  I also have three students out on quarantine, which is not nearly as happy-making.

• Like 19
19 minutes ago, Danae said:

I’ve now had two students email me that they’ll be missing class to get the vaccine.  I’ve never been so pleased to get a “I won’t be in class on [date]” email.  I also have three students out on quarantine, which is not nearly as happy-making.

Quoting myself to add:  the college is trying to set up on-campus vaccination for students, faculty, and staff, but until that happens the official policy is “if you can get a vaccination appointment grab it, no matter what you have to cancel or miss.”

• Like 13
22 minutes ago, Danae said:

DS was explaining to me yesterday that he might have to take his classes pass/fail to ensure he had plenty of time to check websites to find an appointment. I think he was kidding, but I'm glad he found one fast so he can focus on other things!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just got my 2nd Pfizer this afternoon...got it at about 11:40. 

Feel a bit flushed. 

Got it in my dominant arm this time, planning an easy day. DH did the dishes this morning when I took DD4 to dentist, and DD11 will empty the dishwasher this evening. Stocked up on sandwich makings and bagged salad if I don't feel up to making dinner. Going to place a Shipt order in a minute for a few other items. 

I ended up with a fever and chills after the first shot, so anticipating a rough evening. Worth it though!

• Like 9

DH and I just got appts for Moderna in the morning! Hopefully all will be smooth - I’ll update when I can. I have vaccine  anxiety with just annual flu shots and I’m sweating from nerves, LOL. I have lots of strange food allergies and some medication allergies, so that adds to the nerves, too. 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, maize said:

I had shingles last summer; I figured it was precipitated by general pandemic stress.

I had it last summer, too. I wondered if it was stress or my body fighting off a covid exposure. I thought I had poison ivy at first (and luckily also a cold sore). I have prescription for cold sores which apparently is the same stuff as what is prescribed for shingles. I'll make sure I refill my script b/f my second shot, just in case.

Well I can finally report 75 yo mom's fully vaccinated story, she is 5 days post 2nd vax.  She has RA and has been on methotrexate for many years.  She has other health problems that may or may not be related to that.  She also has hypothyroid.  She had the Pfizer.  She was booked through her own clinic which worked great for her.   She didn't have to hoop jump to get the appointment.  They contacted her when they had a spot for her.  She isn't super tech savvy and my brother and I didn't really have the time to do that for days and weeks.  

She took a nap and went to bed early after both shots but otherwise not a huge problem.  She said her arm was just a little sore and she just had a couple of relaxing days.  Yay!  She said the shingles vax was much worse.

• Like 15

So far, my arm is much less sore than last time. Not sure if that is because it is second vaccine, or because I did dominant arm so am moving it more. I even made sure to move it some in the recovery tent. 

• Like 9

My state just opened up to 18+ so I've been checking vaccinefinder.org but nothing. I signed up with my state & expected nothing since locals 50+ have been waiting for shots for a couple weeks. But my email came in the middle of the night. I'm signed up for Friday for Moderna. I'm very nervous, but ready. Pfizer was my preference but Moderna is all they are giving locally right now. I'll take it! I'll report back this weekend.

• Like 10

My city/county will open vax appts to everyone 16+ on Monday. 

My kids are not old enough, but I’m glad so many more people will be able to get it now. Sad that the reason for this step is that so many people are not getting vaccinated.

• Like 5

DH got his first Pfizer at the VA last week. DS18 and I just got our first Moderna (still on allergy watch, actually, 😂) and are already scheduled for our second shots. I am taking DD16 to get her first Pfizer later this afternoon. I am walking on air! Soooo happy and relieved. Now for shots to be approved for the under 16 crowd, for DS14.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy
  • Like 11

DH, my mother and I were all due for our second Pfizer shots today.  DH and my mom had theirs, while I spoke to staff.  They recommended I postpone by a week, so I’ll be going next week when DS gets his second shot, too.

DH was amazing, and wheeled my mom through the process.  She was a bit confused (dementia), and at one point was convinced she was going for jury duty, but he got her through the process, so yay!  Quickest jury duty ever!  🤣

So far, my mom feels fine.  DH is tired with a sore arm.

• Like 15

I had my first Pfizer dose this morning. My arm is pretty sore, I’ve got a slight headache, and I feel tired. Nothing awful but I was hoping I would be like dh and have zero issues. 🙄

• Like 10
6 hours ago, maize said:

I had shingles last summer; I figured it was precipitated by general pandemic stress.

I did too.  Doctor said it was stress and he was seeing a lot more cases than usual.

• Like 3

DS18 had first Pfizer shot yesterday. No issues. His friend, same age, who had covid around Christmas had sore arm and exhaustion. 

DH and I get our second moderna tomorrow. I have some anxiety. Thinking 80% efficacy is pretty good😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

So, I'm feeling much better this time around than I did at this point after my first dose. Not sure if having my allergies under better control is the reason, luck, who knows?

• Like 12
1 hour ago, Soror said:

Dh gets his first Pfizer today!

My DH gets his first Moderna today.  I am so nervous for him since he tends to have bad reactions from vaccines.  He's absolutely dreading it.  Hopefully, it will all go smoothly.  

Good luck to everyone!  

• Like 5
1 hour ago, teachermom2834 said:

I have my second Moderna a week from today and I am so nervous. I keep telling myself not to open this thread because I think it is making my anxiety worse. But I can’t help myself!

I'm nervous about my 2nd dose, too.  Mine is a week after yours.  

Don't panic folks. Most people do not get a miserable reaction. I did for one day and wow it was worth it. I really don't want the real thing! I just heard from neighbors who received their second shot yesterday and they slept 12 hours last night. That was it. It's going to be okay. Hugs to all of you .

• Like 9
1 hour ago, Kassia said:

My DH gets his first Moderna today.  I am so nervous for him since he tends to have bad reactions from vaccines.  He's absolutely dreading it.  Hopefully, it will all go smoothly.  

Good luck to everyone!  

My son is the one in our family that reacts to vaccines, and he had less reaction than anyone from the Covid vaccine!

• Like 6

ok, updating - 2nd Pfizer was yesterday at 11:30am. as of now, 9am the next day, I'm fine! Was a bit tired yesterday, but that was it. No chills or fever like first shot.

• Like 11
On 3/31/2021 at 12:40 AM, Not_a_Number said:

And I seem to have a Sunday appointment in... Staten Island? Ok, then. I’ll take it, I suppose! I might try again tomorrow and see if I can get something a bit closer to our apartment!

And I tried to get a different appointment, rushing through everything and getting an appointment nearby... and then realizing at the end that I got a Monday appointment instead of the Sunday one I wanted 🙄.

So Staten Island it is 😛 . 

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

And I tried to get a different appointment, rushing through everything and getting an appointment nearby... and then realizing at the end that I got a Monday appointment instead of the Sunday one I wanted 🙄.

I hope they make it easy to cancel the Monday appointment!

Our county site makes it easy to make appointments online but to cancel you have to call and it takes many attempts to get through.

• Like 1
Just now, maize said:

I hope they make it easy to cancel the Monday appointment!

Our county site makes it easy to make appointments online but to cancel you have to call and it takes many attempts to get through.

It's just a CVS appointment, so it's easy enough. I was afraid it'd automatically cancel the earlier one if I made a new one, but their site isn't fancy enough for that, lol. So I cancelled it already. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Kassia said:

Good luck to everyone!  

Good luck to him too!

• Like 1

My sister, who has a shellfish allergy, just got her first Pfizer shot and had an itchy throat and inner ears after. They kept her for an extra 15 minutes, after which she said it reduced to a mild sore throat and lower voice, so they let her go. Yes, she has an Epipen and is consulting primary care. 

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
55 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I had to go all the way to Middleton for dd's vaccination.  I half envious of those who can easily find a site (looking at you ds in western NY) and half happy that vaccines are so popular that there are no appts super close.  So, an hours drive for dd, half an hour for me.  I spent Tuesday driving through 3 counties to get vaccines. 

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, freesia said:

I had to go all the way to Middleton for dd's vaccination.  I half envious of those who can easily find a site (looking at you ds in western NY) and half happy that vaccines are so popular that there are no appts super close.  So, an hours drive for dd, half an hour for me.  I spent Tuesday driving through 3 counties to get vaccines. 

Yeah, it's going to be 45 minutes from our apartment for us. And of course, we're currently based in Boston anyway, although we like going back every month or so to pick up stuff/drop off stuff (ooh, I should drop off our winter gear!) and make sure our apartment hasn't exploded or filled with cockroaches 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, Starr said:

Don't panic folks. Most people do not get a miserable reaction.

This is my feeling as well.

I am VERY excited for my second dose which is Tuesday (Pfizer).  Husband's second dose is next Friday (Moderna).  Another 2 weeks for teen's second Pfizer.  I am counting them all down and can't wait.  Both of them are also excited.  No nerves here at all!

• Like 5

DH got his first shot this morning—the closest available was about an hour away. So far he feels okay, just a slight headache. He did report he didn’t feel the shot at all.

Maine just expedited vaccine eligibility (again!) so now DS and I are eligible starting next week. We cannot wait! I’m willing to drive anywhere they are available. I finally, finally feel some hope returning for the summer and the possibility of accompanying him to Europe for university in the fall.

On the opposite coast, in Northern California, my brother was able to make an appointment and get his first shot a couple hours later. 👏👏👏

• Like 11
13 minutes ago, MEmama said:

DH got his first shot this morning—the closest available was about an hour away. So far he feels okay, just a slight headache. He did report he didn’t feel the shot at all.

Maine just expedited vaccine eligibility (again!) so now DS and I are eligible starting next week. We cannot wait! I’m willing to drive anywhere they are available. I finally, finally feel some hope returning for the summer and the possibility of accompanying him to Europe for university in the fall.

On the opposite coast, in Northern California, my brother was able to make an appointment and get his first shot a couple hours later. 👏👏👏

Holy cow!!!! I read that a lot of appointments were going unused 😕  which is not encouraging, but very happy for everyone who wants a vaccine!!!

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, Kanin said:

Holy cow!!!! I read that a lot of appointments were going unused 😕  which is not encouraging, but very happy for everyone who wants a vaccine!!!

Maine is actually doing exceptionally well, both in number of vaccines given and percentage of population already vaccinated/in process of being. Governor Mills gave an encouraging press release today. Something like 20,000 shots were administered yesterday—in our teeny tiny little state! 👏👏👏

I did read a good tip for people looking for vaccinations to check out availability in red counties where more are going unused. I’ll happily drive to Bangor or wherever if it means not waiting. 😎

• Like 6

I only have a really sore arm 24 hours after my first dose. I think I was way more nervous about it than I anticipated (I wasn’t expecting to be nervous at all!). 

FTR, Indiana removed the residency requirement yesterday so if anyone is having trouble finding a spot in a neighboring state you can look here. It’s open to all 16 and over.

• Like 11

Longtime lurker here. I haven't seen too many personal accounts of receiving the J&J shot here so I thought I'd share mine as thanks for all the Covid information I've gotten here and found so useful over the last year.

I have terrible medical anxiety so I specifically sought out the J&J due to the "one and done" factor. I received the shot Tuesday afternoon. I ended up leaving the recovery chair area after a minute or two, because I knew if I continued sitting in there I would pass out. I finished out my recovery period in the car, laying down, AC blasting, and I was fine. By evening I was definitely feeling more tired than normal and headed off to bed a little early. The next day (yesterday) I woke up feeling like I was at the tail end of the flu. Headache, muscles and joint aching, no appetite. I spent most of the day in bed alternately reading and napping. By 8pm my fever had broken and I could tell the corner had been turned. Today I feel absolutely fine and grateful to be fully vaccinated.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Maine is actually doing exceptionally well, both in number of vaccines given and percentage of population already vaccinated/in process of being. Governor Mills gave an encouraging press release today. Something like 20,000 shots were administered yesterday—in our teeny tiny little state! 👏👏👏

I did read a good tip for people looking for vaccinations to check out availability in red counties where more are going unused. I’ll happily drive to Bangor or wherever if it means not waiting. 😎

Yay Maine!! Yes to driving to get the shot. Definitely!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, Joker2 said:

FTR, Indiana removed the residency requirement yesterday so if anyone is having trouble finding a spot in a neighboring state you can look here. It’s open to all 16 and over.

Is this because so few people are getting vaccinated in the state? Or...? 

Glad they are getting shots in the arms of people who want them, at any rate! 

• Like 2

DH, DS and I all got our first shots of the Pfizer yesterday. DS had a major reaction not to the vaccine proper but the administration (there was blood, he freaked out, threw up, felt faint). He’s fine now though. Other than mildly sore arms no side effects 24 hours post. 
I didn’t want to take the vaccine and definitely didn’t want my DS to take it but we are all traveling soon so I sort of went along. ETA we are in New York. 

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1
  • Sad 6

Dh got his Johnson vaccine at Kaiser. I don’t think they offered a choice, but he was happy to get any vaccine. He qualified under a pre-existing condition.

ETA: Kaiser warned of soreness 2-4 hours after injection, but so far, nothing yet.

Edited by crazyforlatin
  • Like 5
56 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

DH, DS and I all got our first shots of the Pfizer yesterday. DS had a major reaction not to the vaccine proper but the administration (there was blood, he freaked out, threw up, felt faint). He’s fine now though. Other than mildly sore arms no side effects 24 hours post. 
I didn’t want to take the vaccine and definitely didn’t want my DS to take it but we are all traveling soon so I sort of went along. ETA we are in New York. 

I’m so sorry for your son. That must have been scary. I’m confused about the blood though? Was it from someone’s shot? 

1 hour ago, MEmama said:

Is this because so few people are getting vaccinated in the state? Or...? 

Glad they are getting shots in the arms of people who want them, at any rate! 

I don’t think so but not sure. I know we were only able to schedule dc this week and got appointments for the end of the month so they were already booked for several weeks. I looked it up and saw that just over 20 states seem to not have a residency requirement.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Toocrazy!! said:

I’m so sorry for your son. That must have been scary. I’m confused about the blood though? Was it from someone’s shot? 

It was from the shot, in his arm. I was also surprised. Maybe because he’s so skinny? Apparently it happens.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

It was from the shot, in his arm. I was also surprised. Maybe because he’s so skinny? Apparently it happens.

That’s good to know. Haven’t heard that before. 

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

happens now and then if you hit a tiny blood vessel

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, madteaparty said:

My daughter bled a good bit with her first dose. She’s average build—not stick skinny. 

I’m surprised she didn’t have a similar reaction. She hates needles. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My husband and I got the first round of the Moderna yesterday.  We both felt a bit headachy on and off and I felt tired enough to go to bed at a decent time last night.  Either of those things could be side effects or could just be from a busy week.  Slightly sore arm today, but nothing else. 

• Like 7