Menu

Personal SARS-COV-2 vaccination experiences

I had the Moderna 9 days ago. No pain from the shot, slight arm pain during the day. But yesterday I developed what I guess is covid arm. Large Bumps at the injection site, kind of hot, little itchy, red. Not annoying, but slightly worrisome I guess. Although everything I read says not to worry about it. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I never expected I'd be getting my vaccine so early -- but I got my first Moderna shot today.   I was at the doctor's with my son for an appointment and it was near the end of the day and th

Just got the vaccine! Was just like any other going in lol. Too soon to know about side effects, of course, but I’l keep you posted.

Got my Blue Envelope!  The appointment is this coming Sunday.  Woohoo!

Another question:  for those who had a choice in what shot to get, what were your reasons for choosing the one you chose?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, SKL said:

Another question:  for those who had a choice in what shot to get, what were your reasons for choosing the one you chose?

I sort of had a choice. There were different shots showing up in my area and I specifically tried to get the J&J. My reasons were: one shot and done, supposedly less side effects, closer to traditional vaccine technology than the other two, easier to store, etc. so in my mind I was more confident that the vaccine had been stored/handled properly prior to use, and finally so that I could be an example to my DH and hopefully encourage him to get it. He is super afraid of the others. So I am hoping he will be more willing to take the J&J especially after seeing that I got it and I am "fine."  

• Like 6
11 minutes ago, SKL said:

I didn't have a choice as I got mine from a site with extras and they only had one kind. But one of the reasons I jumped at the chance to go there was because they had the Pfizer and that is the one I wanted due to the efficacy rate.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, kristin0713 said:

Oh -- I forgot to say that this shot hurt terribly going in!  I've never had a shot hurt like this. I am petite and don't have a lot of body fat or muscle for that matter 😅  maybe that makes a difference. 

My sister is slender too and hers didn't hurt at all.  She said she couldn't even feel it.  But, the person giving her the shot worked with her ahead of time for half a minute on relaxing that arm until it felt like dead-weight, and then he gave her the injection.  He said if you're too tense, it'll hurt, but the more "lifeless" you can make your arm, the less it hurts.

• Like 2

I wanted Pfizer or Moderna due to better proven efficacy against mild or asymptomatic infection. I'm not the high risk person in my house, my kid with autoimmune diseases is, and he's young so won't be able to be vaccinated himself for another year, most likely. I wanted the one that reduced my chances of getting it and spreading it to him - at this point Phizer has the most info on this although Moderna is likely similar. It's why I jumped to exploit a loophole here and got vaccinated this week rather than waiting, say 6 weeks - right now they are only using Pfizer where I was going to get vaccinated but plan to switch or add Johnson and Johnson, and given my need to protect my son, Pfizer was a much better choice. 

If I was mostly worried about my own exposure/illness or my higher risk kid  was old enough to be vaccinated soon, I'd have less concern about which. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, SKL said:

We were not offered a choice on the day of getting the shot, but I could have waited for another day.

I was happy to get the Pfizer because of the recent studies (linked in the vaccine thread) that Pfizer has been shown to decrease asymptomatic transmission.  I want the vaccine to help stop the spread to other people, not just for myself.  On a personal note, I live with high risk individuals who are not/won’t be vaccinated soon, and I want to limit the possibility of transmission to them or anyone else I encounter.

But I would have happily taken any shot.

• Like 2

DH drove over 80 miles to a place that specifically had Pfizer.  He could have driven a bit less (about 70 miles) and waited a few days to get either Moderna or to go to a clinic that he did not know what the vaccine would be ahead of time.  He had strong preference not to get Moderna.  His preference came from the business end--he has been tracking Moderna's stock and what some of the top executives are doing as far as selling their positions.  It is also my understanding that Moderna is over three times the amount of vaccine for about the same amount of efficacy.

My employer received 300 doses of Johnson and Johnson to give Thursday morning; I was notified Wednesday evening.  If it had not been Johnson and Johnson I may have passed on getting it.  I have had an anaphalactic reaction to IV medication before, putting me in the caution category for the vaccines.  Johnson and Johnson has seemed to have fewer severe allergic reactions and it is only one dose so I am only taking that risk one time.  I knon J&J has lower efficacy; I am not high risk; DH is the highest risk person in our household and he was able to get Pfizer.  I also wonder if J&J will offer better protection against newer variants and as time goes by it will be easier for J&J to offer a booster (that perhaps address emergent variants). 

• Like 5
3 hours ago, SKL said:

When I got my first shot, the only options were Moderna and Pfizer. Our hope is for my 16 yo to get Pfizer as soon as we move to the next tier, since that is approved for that age group, unlike Moderna which is 18+. So, I actually planned to get Moderna for myself in order to split the risk/benefit. But when I was able to book my appointment, Pfizer was the vaccine at the only site with openings. I had been trying for more than 2 weeks to book a slot at a site with Moderna, chasing phantom appointments that disappeared after I entered all my info, and it could have been another month of trying, given the size of the pool, so: Pfizer was faster. 

The day I went, almost all of the vaccines were second shots for people who got the first shot 3 weeks earlier. For whatever reason, maybe 10% of the follow-up slots were not used, but the system reserved them for a while, only releasing them to the pool about 48 hours ahead of the appointment. They did say we can book +\- 4 days from the target date of 3 weeks for the repeat. Maybe they opened up because people had to reschedule. 

2 hours ago, Bootsie said:

It is also my understanding that Moderna is over three times the amount of vaccine for about the same amount of efficacy.

What does "amount of vaccine" mean? Total volume of liquid? Total number of spike proteins produced by your body? 

I got my second Moderna shot yesterday afternoon. Got up a little after five this morning and my fingers were achy. Now I have more aches, a headache, and temperature of 101.9. Basically a rerun of the first shot, but I am so thankful to be vaccinated.

• Like 8
On 3/10/2021 at 6:27 PM, Bootsie said:

Has anyone who has experienced a severe allergic reaction to a drug recevied a COVID vaccine?  If so, what was your experience? 

When DH was signing up for an appointment, questions were asked about that.  He does not have any history of reactions.  He received the vaccine at a small town CVS and was told "hang around for a few minutes" but no one did anything to follow up or check on him.  

I HAVE had a severe allergic reaction to a medicine.  I was hoping to be able to get the vaccinne after consultation with (and under the supervision of) my physician (but that is a bit complicated because my physician who treated me at the time of the reaction has retired and I have moved--not long before COVID hit and have only seen the nurse practitioner in my new town a couple of times for minor things so she doesn't have the hsitorical experience of my reaction).  I have the opportunity to get the Johnson and Johnson vaccine tomorrow morning through my employer.  No questions about medical issues/allergies were asked when signing up;  it was simply a computer form with birthdate, name, etc.--and no place to add any info. 

I am thinking that I will be asked tomorrow when I arrive about previous reactions; I am just wondering what to expect and if they will give me the vaccine in a non-medical setting.  

I helped at a vaccination event giving the Johnson and Johnson vaccine. Everyone had a sheet we had to review prior to giving them their shot, and they had answered questions about allergic reactions and other health problems on this sheet. So you should definitely be asked about that prior to being given the vaccine. We were told that it was ok to give the shot if their allergic reaction was to a medication, but not if it was to a previous vaccine. Everyone was advised to wait and be observed for 15 minutes afterwards, and if there was any question of concerns we extended that, and asked them to wait for 30 minutes. 
The event was at a school but there were paramedics there, and anyone who felt unwell was moved over to their area and monitored by them.

I had several people I vaccinated, who had had allergic reactions to medications previously, but none of my particular patients reported especially severe previous reactions. There were very few people who had to be assessed by the paramedics while I was there, and a number of them were experiencing anxiety and panic attacks, so not really a direct vaccine reaction.

• Like 6
9 hours ago, kristin0713 said:

Oh -- I forgot to say that this shot hurt terribly going in!  I've never had a shot hurt like this. I am petite and don't have a lot of body fat or muscle for that matter 😅  maybe that makes a difference. 

They told us when we were giving it that the Johnson and Johnson shot did sting quite a lot. One man I gave it to said it was the first shot he’d had that hurt.

I don't know if it makes a difference with vaccines (or with covid vaccines in particular), but I have to give myself a weekly injection and it hurts much, much more if it is cold.  I was told to leave it on the counter for an hour to warm up, but I have found that it is still too cold after an hour.  I usually like to leave it out overnight (which is allowed per manufacturer's guidelines).

• Like 4
Just now, Junie said:

I don't know if it makes a difference with vaccines (or with covid vaccines in particular), but I have to give myself a weekly injection and it hurts much, much more if it is cold.  I was told to leave it on the counter for an hour to warm up, but I have found that it is still too cold after an hour.  I usually like to leave it out overnight (which is allowed per manufacturer's guidelines).

Ditto. I don't leave mine out overnight, but usually around three or four hours. Even then it's still pretty darn ouchy . I'm guessing the Covid vaccine is going to be a breeze for people like us.

• Like 3

I had a choice between the J&J or one of the two shot vaccines. I chose the two shot because of the greater protection against mild symptoms (at least as we know so far). I ended up with Pfizer, which I was happy about since we know a little more about it providing some transmission protection. I wouldn't be surprised if more data supported the others in this too, but I'll go with what we know so far.

• Like 2

My husband had his 2nd dose of Moderna yesterday morning.  He has felt a little tired today, and he took a nap for about an hour.  His arm was sore after the first shot (but not too bad), but so far his arm isn’t sore with the second one.  It’s been almost 36 hours at this point so I assume he will be fine tomorrow.  

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 6

Had my first shot of Moderna this week, I could barely feel it going in. My husband had the same shot about a month previous and he said it hurt (maybe he was tense because he really, really hates shots?).  My arm was sore the next day and I had a mild headache, which was nagging to me for a day. 

I didn't seek out any certain vaccine. A friend of mine though said her doctor told her to get Moderna over Pfizer because of her auto-immune disease. Idk why, maybe there were more reactions, and this was before J&J came out. Idk if studies show any reactions to that or not.  

• Like 5

I had my first Pfizer vaccine 9 hours ago - yay!  I kept my arm limp and didn't feel the needle going in at all.  😄  My dh sat in the booth next to me and said it hurt a tiny bit going in, but that was it.  So far, neither of us have a sore arm or any other symptom, but we'll see how the night and tomorrow go.  

My dh has had severe reactions to drugs -- the list on his chart is slowly building.  But, never a severe reaction to a vaccine.  We waited for 15 minutes after our vaccine today, and then were good to go.  They were so organized!  It was basically a family-operated event.  The tiny drugstore's owners are the head pharmacist and his wife.  The wife stood by the door and smiled and greeted everyone as they arrived, as though they were coming for a dinner party.  🙂   Her dh gave the vaccines.  Their dd and a few other employees did the paperwork, etc.  

They're one of the few (maybe the only?) independent drugstores in our state given authority to do this.  I know it included lots of training, etc.  We felt like we were in very good hands.

• Like 9

Update from Wednesday second shot. I have a small bruise from the injection but a Covid lump (?) about a half an inch below the injection site. It hurt until today. 

• Like 4
5 hours ago, math teacher said:

It's been a rough day-temperature was 102.2 at one point. Ds went and got me some tylenol, and I think it has helped a lot. Just an FYI, Aleve did nothing for me.

My state site recommended tylenol. You'll be feeling better soon! 

• Like 4

Re: tylenol--we've had a post-vaccine death in my state that may be tylenol related; a 39 year old woman who experienced liver failure and died after a couple of days in the hospital, about four days post vaccination. The medical investigation is ongoing but the VAERS report shows she had taken tylenol and was being treated with medication to counteract it. Maybe she took too much, maybe it was just a fluke thing (liver damage does sometimes happen with normal doses of tylenol); her family is blaming the vaccination for her death but given the known association between tylenol and liver damage I suspect that as the cause.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1
  • Sad 7
3 minutes ago, maize said:

Re: tylenol--we've had a post-vaccine death in my state that may be tylenol related; a 39 year old woman who experienced liver failure and died after a couple of days in the hospital, about four days post vaccination. The medical investigation was ongoing but the VAERS report shows she had taken tylenol and was being treated with medication to counteract it. Maybe she took too much, maybe it was just a fluke thing (liver damage does sometimes happen with normal doses of tylenol); her family is blaming the vaccination for her death but given the known association between tylenol and liver damage I suspect that as the cause.

That oughtn't happen if you don't take too much, right?? 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

That oughtn't happen if you don't take too much, right?? 

Liver toxicity at normal (recommended) doses is very, very rare.

I imagine that a petite woman may want to stay below maximum recommended doses, maybe consider children's dosing recommendations by weight. We really ought to have charts like that for adults as well; tolerances for a 6'5" 250lb man are going to be very different than for a 4'11" 95 lb woman.

• Like 8
24 minutes ago, maize said:

I imagine that a petite woman may want to stay below maximum recommended doses, maybe consider children's dosing recommendations by weight. We really ought to have charts like that for adults as well; tolerances for a 6'5" 250lb man are going to be very different than for a 4'11" 95 lb woman.

On that topic, I was just thinking about something similar this morning - are side effects/reactions from the vaccines different based on a person's height/weight?  I'm guessing that's not an issue but wasn't sure.  In our family, DH and dd both are very sensitive to vaccines (DH is still recovering from a tetanus shot on Thursday - I can't imagine what he's going to go through with the covid vaccine).  I'm much lighter than him (so is dd) and rarely react to vaccines and, if I do, it's usually mild.

• Like 1

Husband has been very tired and his body aches after his AstraZeneca jab yesterday.  His arm is only mildly sore and he doesn't have a high temperature.  The same happened to my brother and he was fine within 24 hours.

• Like 11
8 hours ago, maize said:

Re: tylenol--we've had a post-vaccine death in my state that may be tylenol related; a 39 year old woman who experienced liver failure and died after a couple of days in the hospital, about four days post vaccination. The medical investigation is ongoing but the VAERS report shows she had taken tylenol and was being treated with medication to counteract it. Maybe she took too much, maybe it was just a fluke thing (liver damage does sometimes happen with normal doses of tylenol); her family is blaming the vaccination for her death but given the known association between tylenol and liver damage I suspect that as the cause.

She may have taken too much Tylenol (e.g. more than 8 extra-strength Tylenol per day), and/or taken multiple medications that each contained acetaminophen without realizing it, and/or consumed alcohol with Tylenol, which significantly increases the risk of liver damage.

• Like 2

I was pleasantly surprised this afternoon to learn that my 85 yo MIL, who had been vaccine resistant, went and got her first Moderna shot yesterday afternoon. She said her arm is very slightly sore, but that's the only side effect she's had.

• Like 16

My 73 yo dad who I did not think would agree to get the shot got his first Phizer yesterday morning. It is a relief as the last year has been a challenge trying to work with him on safety measures while still seeing him. Now all the adults in our extended family that skipped the holiday get togethers has had a shot. It is a relief. 

I’m actually not sure we’ll get my dad in for his second shot. He was very reluctant and he is a boxing fan and there is speculation that the death of former boxer Marvin Hagler is post vaccine.  I feel glad that we got the first shot in him though. I wonder how many people will decide the 92% immunity is good enough and forgo the second shot and all the unpleasant side effects being reported. 

So for my family of my dad, sister and her husband, and dh and me who have all had our first shots, only my sister felt it was anything worse that a sore arm typical of a shot. Dh and I had Moderna. The others had Phizer.

• Like 8
12 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Husband has been very tired and his body aches after his AstraZeneca jab yesterday.  His arm is only mildly sore and he doesn't have a high temperature.  The same happened to my brother and he was fine within 24 hours.

Husband is fine this morning apart from a slightly sore arm, so that's one day of exhaustion and aches. 

They start sending out Blue Envelopes to my age cohort (without underlying conditions) from today, so I'll be watching for the postie.  This is the vaccination status now:

image.thumb.png.fd2af7d95319ee426c8b467765f7ca7b.png

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 14

I'm scheduled for my "jab" on Wednesday at the local Walgreens. I'm a bit nervous about side effects (Moderna) but very very grateful! I created an account at Walgreens.com, and signed up for vaccine updates. Lo and behold, I got an email saying there were available appointments in my area this week. Other people I know are traveling 1.5 hours one way to get their vaccines so I feel lucky!

• Like 6
20 minutes ago, Kanin said:

I'm scheduled for my "jab" on Wednesday at the local Walgreens. I'm a bit nervous about side effects (Moderna) but very very grateful! I created an account at Walgreens.com, and signed up for vaccine updates. Lo and behold, I got an email saying there were available appointments in my area this week. Other people I know are traveling 1.5 hours one way to get their vaccines so I feel lucky!

I'm scheduled for my first on Thursday (Moderna).  And, like you, I got an appointment locally and am so grateful that I don't have to travel far - especially with two doses.  

• Like 4

My husband had his first dose Saturday (Moderna).  He was able to get it at the local health dept.  He was perfectly fine.  Just a typical sore arm which is to be expected when you get a vaccine in the muscle.   He has already scheduled his second dose.

My appointment for my first dose (not sure whether it will be Pfizer or Moderna) is Wednesday.  I will be driving about an hour for it.  Zero complaints from me on the drive.  I would drive further if I had to.  It is that important to me to get vaccinated.  It still doesn't feel real and I have said that I won't believe it until the needle is in my arm.   I am getting it at a mass vaccination drive thru site and I just hope all goes well and I get the shot.   I am also hoping that indeed I get one of the two they said it would be.  I much prefer one of the mRNA vaccines.  But won't turn down J&J if that is what they have.    Getting this vaccine is truly like Christmas for me.  I teared up when my husband called saying he had gotten his and I teared up when I scheduled mine.  I can't wait for Wednesday and so pray all goes well.

Congratulations to all of you who have been vaccinated!!

• Like 19

An hour or so I got mine. I did not openly weep tears of joy--got over that on the call I got saying it was my turn--but I was feeling pretty good about his. Moderna. First shot.

Grateful.

Bill

• Like 25

My elderly mom and sister were able to get their first shots in Oregon. My sister tracked down a place 20 minutes from mom's and it was a drive by, they didn't have to leave the car! 

• Like 11
4 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Got my Blue Envelope!  The appointment is this coming Sunday.  Woohoo!

Congratulations.

They are having a church vaccination day on Sunday. My husband and I get our first shot on Sunday as well!

• Like 14

Dh’s age group opened up this morning and I registered him for an appointment next week! I really like how our state system works. It showed all nearby locations and listed which vaccines they’re using. So, I got him in next week at a location that only has Pfizer because that’s the one I prefer if given a choice. 

• Like 9

My second set of ILs are scheduled for Thursday. J and J. So happy!  This will mean all our parents are vaccinated.  Whew.

Anyone having luck with getting high risk teens shots?  Mine has been on the list since late Jan, but no luck.  He’s eligible, due to medical, but I think he might have a long wait.

• Like 4

They opened up BMI greater than 25 yesterday in San Diego County, which is pretty much most Americans. Scored a Moderna clinic spot for my husband and he was vaccinated this morning. We are thrilled. Also, signed Ronen up (my 7 year old) for a Moderna trial. They have a site in La Jolla. Hopefully, he will get selected. Fingers crossed. Offit is saying that they are very close to being done with the Pfizer trial for the 12+ kids, so I am hoping that Sacha will be vaccinated before he leaves for Space Academy this summer. There is light!!!!  

• Like 16

So excited for the younger adults in my family.  Ohio announced moving to include 40 year olds this week and all adults on March 29th.  That just leaves my four youngest!

• Like 10

Wow.  Things are really moving here.  My closest IRL friend called to say she and her DH have appts for Saturday.

And DS just got his invitation for tomorrow.  He’s my medically complex kid, and I am suddenly terribly nervous. And excited.

• Like 12

I got my first today (Pfizer)!  Kroger mostly is only vaccinating people 65 or over or in certain professions, but there was like a 48 hour window where they opened it up to anyone with any pre-existing conditions, and I hit it right at midnight exactly and got an appointment.  Second one is in three weeks.

• Like 14