Menu

Personal SARS-COV-2 vaccination experiences

JennyD

13 hours ago, Karen A said:

I haven't read the whole thread--maybe this has already been mentioned. When I got my vaccine yesterday I was given a flyer asking me to participate in the CDC v-safe program, which is an app that sends text messages at intervals post vaccine (daily x1 week after injection, then every week x5 weeks, and at 3, 6 and 12 months after the last dose). I think this is a great way for them to gets tons of data on the "safety" of the vaccine. My colleagues that were vaccinated in another location got the brochure as well.

(And FYI, I got Moderna, and only complaint is mildly sore arm at injection site)

I got the flyer too. Didn't read it right away and am now trying to decide if I want to join or not. It seems obviously the start of a national vaccine database that could be used for other purposes in the future.

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Confused 4

DH got the Moderna vaccine on Wednesday. He said he felt nothing from the needle - like weirdly nothing. Not even a prick. No arm pain, but he did start having a headache yesterday that has continued today. Nothing terrible, just annoying. He never gets headaches, so we're guessing it's vaccine related. Yesterday he was also super tired and brain foggy. He said it was exhausting to lift a finger to change channels on the TV. He also said it reminded him of the exact symptoms that he had in March (except he also had a high fever, chills and a nasty cough that lasted weeks). At the time we wondered if he had Covid, but as he had "no recent travel to China", he was unable to get tested. So now we're wondering again if we had Covid in the spring.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AmandaVT said:

DH got the Moderna vaccine on Wednesday. He said he felt nothing from the needle - like weirdly nothing. Not even a prick. No arm pain, but he did start having a headache yesterday that has continued today. Nothing terrible, just annoying. He never gets headaches, so we're guessing it's vaccine related. Yesterday he was also super tired and brain foggy. He said it was exhausting to lift a finger to change channels on the TV. He also said it reminded him of the exact symptoms that he had in March (except he also had a high fever, chills and a nasty cough that lasted weeks). At the time we wondered if he had Covid, but as he had "no recent travel to China", he was unable to get tested. So now we're wondering again if we had Covid in the spring.

Huh. That's interesting that it kind of emulates the symptoms, and it WOULD make me think he had COVID in March. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

Sorry she had a bad reaction 😞 . 

I sometimes wonder if we forget how annoying being sick is, even if it's just a common cold. I can truthfully say that neither me nor my kids have ever had a vaccine reaction nearly as bad as a real cold. A real cold knocks me out for a week. I sleep badly. I constantly sneeze. I go through a day where it's hard to swallow. (And that's me talking about colds and not the flu. I think I had the flu about a year ago and I was out for a week and couldn't stop coughing for more than a month.) 

I've had sore arms for 3 days from vaccines, and my kids have been lethargic for a day or two from vaccines. But they've never been really knocked out for more than a day or two. 

Was her reaction considerably worse than being sick? Or just... packed more of a punch? Like, really crummy but only for 2 days and not spread over a week? 

She's not often sick and it takes a lot to make her stop her activities, so I think it hit her hard. 

• Sad 1

Has anyone heard anything about when you should get a booster after your first two shots? Or do they even know yet? Wondering if this is something we do again next fall when we get flu shots or one year after first covid shot, or what. Hopefully future boosters can be one shot.

• Like 2

Just now, Ali in OR said:

Has anyone heard anything about when you should get a booster after your first two shots? Or do they even know yet? Wondering if this is something we do again next fall when we get flu shots or one year after first covid shot, or what. Hopefully future boosters can be one shot.

I work in a hospital and in pharmacy. There hasn't been any chatter about a booster. Some people wonder if it will be needed, but there isn't any official word. It will likely depend on how much the virus mutates and if the body retains the antibody response.  That will only be known with time, so we won't know till later in the year.

• Like 5

My son, a PA in upper state NY, had his first dose of the Pfizer vaccine Dec. 23.  Reaction:  a very sore arm Day 1, much better arm by Day 2, and totally better by Day 3.

He just recently received the second dose and wrote me the following:

Got my second dose yesterday. Felt fine yesterday, only a little sore in my arm by bedtime, much better compared to first dose. But when I woke up today....

Oh boy. Worst I've felt in the past year: Chills, aches, back pain, fatigue. Got em all except a fever
(Three hours later)
I also have the fever now

He goes to bed and wakes up the next day:

Woke up feeling 100% better

And went off to a full day at work.

So, for him:  Second dose was a doozy for 24 hours with no lingering effects.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

Huh. That's interesting that it kind of emulates the symptoms, and it WOULD make me think he had COVID in March. 

That's what we're wondering too. It was a flu like he'd never had before. I also had something awful that gave me on and off fevers and a nasty cough for like 6 weeks last spring. 

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Eight days after Moderna vaccine and dh has a headache and feels "weak".  So far nothing more than that (and the initial slightly sore arm). 

Yes! That's how DH is describing it - he feels weak. 

Although today (Day 3 post shot) he feels 100% normal again, so that's good. 

After two days checking the computer I was able to make appointments for vaccinations for myself and dh. We also helped another couple who had trouble managing the online reservation system. Be sure and check on older folks that don't have kids around to help out with the computer. 

• Like 5

All 4 of us living here at home got first shots tonight (Pfizer). In Oregon, people with disabilities and anyone who lives with them or cares for them are getting vaccinated now, so thanks dd! They let all 4 of us go in together (the sign up was 2 at a time 10 minutes apart) and since my disabled dd can't mask they put us in an exam room immediately to protect the lobby area. We filled out paperwork, got our shots, and waited in the room for 15 minutes--no problems. I'll report back if anyone has any issues over the next week. My immediate reaction was that science is wonderful (it's amazing that we have a vaccine less than a year out). And I was hoping to not faint since one of the questions they ask is if you've ever fainted after a vaccination (no, but I've fainted after giving blood a few times, so the mere suggestion of it made me wonder if I was feeling like I could faint). Dh was sitting quietly so I asked him if he was feeling okay and he said, "I'm just ecstatic." He wasn't expecting to be able to get a vaccine before summer. Second shots scheduled for exactly 3 weeks after.

• Like 13

14 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

All 4 of us living here at home got first shots tonight (Pfizer). In Oregon, people with disabilities and anyone who lives with them or cares for them are getting vaccinated now, so thanks dd! They let all 4 of us go in together (the sign up was 2 at a time 10 minutes apart) and since my disabled dd can't mask they put us in an exam room immediately to protect the lobby area. We filled out paperwork, got our shots, and waited in the room for 15 minutes--no problems. I'll report back if anyone has any issues over the next week. My immediate reaction was that science is wonderful (it's amazing that we have a vaccine less than a year out). And I was hoping to not faint since one of the questions they ask is if you've ever fainted after a vaccination (no, but I've fainted after giving blood a few times, so the mere suggestion of it made me wonder if I was feeling like I could faint). Dh was sitting quietly so I asked him if he was feeling okay and he said, "I'm just ecstatic." He wasn't expecting to be able to get a vaccine before summer. Second shots scheduled for exactly 3 weeks after.

It is fantastic that Oregon is prioritizing people with disabilities. We have a son who is developmentally disabled and medically complex with a history of very severe respiratory issues. There is still no word on when PCAs and other caregivers, much less families of those with disabilities, can be vaccinated here. I am hoping it will be sooner rather than later. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gobblygook said:

It is fantastic that Oregon is prioritizing people with disabilities. We have a son who is developmentally disabled and medically complex with a history of very severe respiratory issues. There is still no word on when PCAs and other caregivers, much less families of those with disabilities, can be vaccinated here. I am hoping it will be sooner rather than later. 

My son is the same and he's waaaaayyyy down the list. It upsets me. Dh, a high school baseball coach, is going to get his soon because he's a school employee. While I'm grateful for another level of protection for our household, it still bugs us that the most at risk person in our house is getting his vaccine so much later.

• Sad 3

I had been talking to dd's county case manager in early January just to set up the yearly meeting and I explained that dd doesn't get out into the community these days (one of her goals) because she can't mask. He said then that they were working to prioritize people with disabilities for the vaccine, but he didn't know when they would know for sure. Then when it actually got figured out, I was so impressed that they did not only the person with the disabilities but caregivers and those they live with too, as he said to provide an extra layer of protection for the disabled person. I love Oregon.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Gobblygook said:

TN is doing this too.

• Like 3

My 88 year-old dad had his first dose of the Moderna vaccine yesterday. At 8 pm tonight (about 30 hours after the shot) he got the chills and is going to bed, 3 hours earlier than his usual routine. Hoping he starts to feel better tomorrow, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's another day before he feels better. 

@Acadie - how's your dad today?

I talked to a good friend today. She's a dental hygienist. She got the Moderna vaccine a couple of weeks ago and will get her second shot next week. She said she had soreness in her arm for the first day, hurt to lift it. That faded, but on day 9 or 10, the soreness came back along with itching and a rash. She spoke to her PCP who recommended allegra and apparently a delayed reaction can happen with Moderna. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Acadie said:

Thanks for asking, @AmandaVT! After chills and aches last night my dad woke up feeling better this morning, just some cold symptoms (runny nose and congestion). 

I'm glad he's feeling better! Hopefully his second shot will be easy on him. I can't wait until my parents are able to get vaccinated. My dad is almost 78, so hopefully he'll be able to get it soon.

DH update - he has a slight itchy rash at the injection site. It must be common because he said it was one of the checkboxes on the post vaccine app. 

• Like 3

My 71 year old mom got the Moderna vax on Tuesday. She said after she left the monitoring she was driving home she felt like there was en elephant sitting on her chest and like she was having a heart attack. Today she said her arm is sore.

My husband got his yesterday, Moderna also. He is a first responder so they did it on the clock as part of their workday. They were monitored for 45 minutes. He got a headache soon after that and it got worse. He stayed in a hotel last night rather than come home because he just wanted to sleep. He said he feels fine today but his arm is sore and it hurts to move it.

Adding that my husband also said it felt like a “warmth” moving through his body.

Edited by AbcdeDooDah
  • Like 4

Dh and I got the Pfizer vaccine yesterday. Easy injection followed by arm pain a couple of hours later. I used some ice right before bed. Oddly it didn't hurt to sleep on that arm. Tonight I only notice it when I think about it and am moving my arm about. It's very manageable. 

• Like 7

I received my 2nd Moderna dose today.  With my first, I had a really sore arm on day 2, but otherwise nothing.  With today's shot, I had flushing of my face about 30 minutes after the shot lasting less than 10 minutes.  Arm is mildly sore.  I made sure to schedule nothing for tomorrow since some people run a fever and feel bad for a day or two. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

My 71 year old mom got the Moderna vax on Tuesday. She said after she left the monitoring she was driving home she felt like there was en elephant sitting on her chest and like she was having a heart attack. Today she said her arm is sore.

My husband got his yesterday, Moderna also. He is a first responder so they did it on the clock as part of their workday. They were monitored for 45 minutes. He got a headache soon after that and it got worse. He stayed in a hotel last night rather than come home because he just wanted to sleep. He said he feels fine today but his arm is sore and it hurts to move it.

Totally not making assumptions here, but I can absolutely see me having this type of reaction. I've had panic attacks from taking a first dose of a medication that I've never taken before. The elephant on the chest heart attack feeling is very common with panic attacks. Been there done that. Gone to the ER and gotten shot up with Ativan and everything. I will absolutely consult with my pdoc before I get my vax to see if I can get some extra chemical support for that day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, popmom said:

Totally not making assumptions here, but I can absolutely see me having this type of reaction. I've had panic attacks from taking a first dose of a medication that I've never taken before. The elephant on the chest heart attack feeling is very common with panic attacks. Been there done that. Gone to the ER and gotten shot up with Ativan and everything. I will absolutely consult with my pdoc before I get my vax to see if I can get some extra chemical support for that day.

Totally possible. She does have panic attacks so it could have been anxiety about getting the shot. 

• Like 3

M dad (93) was bumped up on the list and was able to have his first Moderna shot a few days ago.  He was fine, just a little bit of a sore arm.  We've known three people now who have had the second vaccine.  (I believe Pfizer ~ in our state, the ways things have rolled out, they've been giving Pfizer to health care workers, and Moderna to long-term-care residents.)

Each of the three who received the second vaccine were sick for one or two days after that, sick enough to not go to work even though they had been planning to go.  I don't know their symptoms but will be finding out soon!

• Like 4

We all got our first shot a week ago--Pfizer (all of us because Oregon is vaccinating people with disabilities and those who live with or care for them). We all had sore arms Saturday but nothing else. To me it was indistinguishable from the yearly flu shot--I always have a sore arm.

• Like 6

Today my son and older daughter and I got the Pfizer vaccine.  It was an answer to prayer as I could only register one of us before all 600 appointments filled.  Medical director let us all get the vaccine today due to the kids special needs and the fact that work in grocery store and critical manufacturing.   I was eligible as a teacher.   My other dd will get her vaccine Monday (taking my appointment).

I had a very very slight headache afterwards BUT likely not related as I was in need of food and caffeine.   Arm is not sore.

Had the shot at 3 and then spent 2 1/2 hours outside/in the barn giving pony rides to a friend's little girls.

We have to go back in exactly 3 weeks to get our second dose.

Our local hospital did an exceptional job with this   we were in and out with all 3 of us in under 35 minutes....and that included adding 2 of us to the schedule, paperwork, shot, waiting period and then insurance check out.

• Like 10

DH and I (both in early 30s) received our first dose of Moderna in early Jan. Sore arm x 2 days, no other symptoms. My mother in her mid-60s received hers last week and didn't even have a sore arm. We are anxiously awaiting dose two, I've heard the side effects tend to be worse with the second dose, so we are planning it just before the weekend. 

Edited by ELemenoP
  • Like 5

On 1/14/2021 at 12:08 PM, Jean in Newcastle said:

As I said to a irl friend lately, ,I would assume that people's decisions about whether to get the COVID vaccine should be done in conjunction with their doctor.  A doctor will know your health history including any vaccine reactions in the past.  A doctor will know your comorbidities.  And a doctor (should*) be objective about the vaccine vs. getting COVID.  My doctor wants me to get the COVID vaccine - and I have had bad vaccine reactions in the past to other vaccines. 

*any doctor who dismisses COVID or perpetuates any conspiracy theories would be dumped by me unceremoniously.  This is different than a doctor who thoughtfully considers my health risks. 

yOU AIN'T KIDDING!!!!!!!

• Like 1

DH had his second Moderna shot yesterday. He has a slightly sore arm, then he was a little achy, but he wondered if he was reading into it. At about 8 hours out, he took pain meds and had trouble being comfortable because of aches. Then he was really cold and shaky with aches. He took both Tylenol and ibuprofen, so we aren’t sure if he would’ve had a fever. The worst was only a few hours, but he said the aches were just like flu.

He’s fine today, maybe a little muscle soreness from clenching while achey last night.

• Like 7

I had my first dose of the Moderna vaccine Thursday evening (2 1/2 days ago) and have a sore arm similar to what I have with the flu vaccine. I did have overwhelming fatigue about 24 hours post shot, but just went to bed early and have been fine since.

• Like 4

Husband for word from his University that faculty, staff, and students were up to get shots on Wednesday night and to expect an email to sign up. Got that email on Thursday morning. He got his shot (Pfizer) Friday afternoon. He has had a sore upper arm since but nothing else. I won't lie; I'm jealous as heck.

Edited by YaelAldrich
  • Like 10

On 1/21/2021 at 11:10 PM, AbcdeDooDah said:

Adding that my husband also said it felt like a “warmth” moving through his body.

My boss had a similar reaction as your mom. She was sent to the ED where she was advised not to take the 2nd shot. I would think your mom should notify her MD of this reaction before receiving the 2nd shot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was supposed to get my first shot tonight. A few minutes ago the pharmacist called and asked if I can come in tomorrow. Apparently she'd have to open a new bottle just for me. A bottle contains 10 doses and the 9 left after I got mine (I was the last one scheduled) wouldn't last until tomorrow. I told her of course I'd reschedule. There's no way I'd want to see any of the supply go to waste. 

Ds recently was hired at a rehab center and will be vaccinated because of it. His first dose will be this Saturday.

Ddil is a nurse. She recently got her second dose. She said the first one was fine but the second one made her feel like she had the flu (minus the fever) for about a day and a half. She suggested having all your flu supplies handy - tylenol, advil, snacks, etc. and a show to binge. 

Will report back in after my first dose tomorrow. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 13

My husband and I both had our first dose (Pfizer) last Friday. Twenty minutes after getting the vaccine, the left side of my face was tingly ... sort of like how it feels when you get numbed at the dentist. It was the entire left side from by eye to my chin. It lasted for an hour, and came back periodically over the next several hours before disappearing altogether.

I didn't have any other side effects (not even a sore arm). My husband had no effects.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MommytoFour said:

My husband and I both had our first dose (Pfizer) last Friday. Twenty minutes after getting the vaccine, the left side of my face was tingly ... sort of like how it feels when you get numbed at the dentist. It was the entire left side from by eye to my chin. It lasted for an hour, and came back periodically over the next several hours before disappearing altogether.

I didn't have any other side effects (not even a sore arm). My husband had no effects.

I would ask your doctor about your reaction. Could that kind of numbing/paralysis feeling be linked with Guilaine Barre syndrome?  It seems the the shot affected your nervous system.
I’m glad it went away for you.

• Like 2

Just now, matrips said:

I would ask your doctor about your reaction. Could that kind of numbing/paralysis feeling be linked with Guilaine Barre syndrome?  It seems the the shot affected your nervous system.
I’m glad it went away for you.

I have a friend who got the vaccine the same day as I did, and had the same reaction. I asked the doctor about it and apparently it's not a common reaction, but not that uncommon either. I am hoping it won't be worse for the second dose.

24 minutes ago, kand said:

I Recall some research showing that taking fever reducers after a vaccine may reduce their efficacy. I wonder if there’s been any more study on that, especially as regards this vaccine.

I’ve had two family members get the vaccine so far. One because he’s a healthcare worker and the other because his friend’s mom is a nurse and she called him in when she had extra shots left in a vial at the end of the day. Both are around 50, and neither had any side effects.

Eta: what do you know, there was an article published about this just yesterday: https://www.healthline.com/health-news/should-you-take-pain-relievers-after-covid-19-vaccine#Pain-relievers-and-the-post-vaccine-immune-response

Interestingly the studies say taking them as a preventative before the vaccine can reduce efficacy, but doesn't say anything about taking them for side effects afterwards. Both ds and I are just getting our first dose this week, which apparently isn't bad. Hopefully by the time we get our 2nd shot they'll know more about how/if pain relievers affect it when you take them after. 

Thanks for that link. We won't be taking anything before at least.

• Like 3

My dd has had both doses now.  After the first dose, she had a sore arm and a small "weird" headache that lasted a day.  (Nothing bad though.)  After her second dose, she felt achy all over and shaky, but was still able to go to work.  She had had the vaccine in the evening, and  her symptoms didn't kick in until she woke up the next morning. That lasted all day.  Before bed, she soaked in a hot bath and took some Tylenol and felt so much better.  Then the next day -- today actually, she just has a small lingering headache.  

• Like 6

I had my first dose this afternoon. As a leftie I always get shots (and blood draws) in my right arm in case it's sore. When the pharmacist came out I pulled up my right sleeve but she said it's processed for the left arm. I think they follow those who get the shot and need to know which arm you get it in. It's a paperwork thing and she sighed and asked if I wanted it in my right arm. I said yes. I was willing to change my appointment as I said in my post last night but that's not an area where I'm flexible unless there's a medical reason. I stood up for my southpaw rights lol.

After I got home I posted on a local website just to let other lefties know to ask in advance if they want it in their right arm. If I had known that it meant more paperwork by asking for my right arm I would have said something up front. I got all kinds of replies from people about which arm they got it in and why. I posted this on the group and am posting it here just to show you guys how we're all being told different things. I think I covered all the things people were told.

Aside from the paperwork issue for my non dominant arm, everything's fine. I'm not feeling any side effects (6 hours since the shot) and my arm is mildly sore.

This is typical. Some places say you have to have a medical reason for choosing which arm, some say it's a paperwork hassle, some are giving it in the dominant arm and some the non dominant arm, some ask you which arm you want, and the health department just uses whichever arm you present depending on if you're on the driver or passenger side. Did we really think there'd be any semblance of consistency? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Truly, I'm glad I was able to get it. I'm glad others have been able to get it. I hope in the coming days more and more people will get vaccinated and that it won't be long before the general population can get it. But I still have to shake my head at all the different protocols people are seeing. It's just so typical of how this has been run all along.
Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

I had my first dose this afternoon. As a leftie I always get shots (and blood draws) in my right arm in case it's sore. When the pharmacist came out I pulled up my right sleeve but she said it's processed for the left arm. I think they follow those who get the shot and need to know which arm you get it in. It's a paperwork thing and she sighed and asked if I wanted it in my right arm. I said yes. I was willing to change my appointment as I said in my post last night but that's not an area where I'm flexible unless there's a medical reason. I stood up for my southpaw rights lol.

After I got home I posted on a local website just to let other lefties know to ask in advance if they want it in their right arm. If I had known that it meant more paperwork by asking for my right arm I would have said something up front. I got all kinds of replies from people about which arm they got it in and why. I posted this on the group and am posting it here just to show you guys how we're all being told different things. I think I covered all the things people were told.

Aside from the paperwork issue for my non dominant arm, everything's fine. I'm not feeling any side effects (6 hours since the shot) and my arm is mildly sore.

This is typical. Some places say you have to have a medical reason for choosing which arm, some say it's a paperwork hassle, some are giving it in the dominant arm and some the non dominant arm, some ask you which arm you want, and the health department just uses whichever arm you present depending on if you're on the driver or passenger side. Did we really think there'd be any semblance of consistency? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Truly, I'm glad I was able to get it. I'm glad others have been able to get it. I hope in the coming days more and more people will get vaccinated and that it won't be long before the general population can get it. But I still have to shake my head at all the different protocols people are seeing. It's just so typical of how this has been run all along.

This is good to know as I have 3 southpaws. I would insert an eye roll for the "more" paperwork to change arms....lol

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

I was asked which arm I wanted it in. I wanted it in my right because that's my dominant arm and I wanted to use the arm to work the soreness out. The nurse giving my shot didn't act like there were any problems with putting it in the right arm. 

• Like 4