Menu

Anyone never get used to progressive lenses?

I bought progressive lenses in February of this year and I’ve had more dizziness/weird sensations than ever. Prior to the lenses I would have issues here and there but it’s worse now and I’m wondering if it’s the progressives? I was checked out twice by doctors prior to the lenses for the dizziness and everything always looked fine.

I’ll probably try to make appointments with both the eye doctor and my primary but was curious if others have long term issues with them as well. I wanted to just try wearing my old glasses for a while to see but, of course, I can’t find them. 

Have you had them looked at to see if they need adjusted and are aligned properly?  The continued vertigo can be signs that the aren't properly centered over your eyes, or that they weren't measured correctly.  Some people honestly cannot wear them, but I would rule out the usual problems first.  Poor fit is one of the most common reason people can't adjust to them.

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 2

Did you take the glasses back to have them check to make sure they were made correctly? I have astigmatism and one time they made a pair with cylinders in one eye and the other eye plano. 

Maybe whatever is causing your pre-existing dizziness is getting worse? Like if it's your neck, it would get worse. Chiro fixes that for me. And some people develop vertigo around a certain age. 

• Like 1

I haven’t taken them in to be checked. I honestly wasn’t putting it together until tonight. I was assuming it was stress (Covid and some other stuff -this year has sucked!).  I’ll try to go this week to have them checked but also get non progressive glasses. 

My husband is more prone to dizziness, motion sickness etc. He hated his first pair of progressive glasses and returned them for regular ol bifocals. When it was time for a new pair, he went to an excellent optician who was determined to make the progressives work. I think the optician said that the lab wasn’t centering something or other just right. He returned them three times to the lab until my dh was satisfied. The optician is a great guy and determined to get it right. My husband has been wearing them for about two years. I didn’t think he would ever get used to them but I haven’t heard a complaint about them in about two years. So my advice? Find the right optician. Not just anybody. 

• Like 3

I agree with everyone else. Get them checked; if they are properly aligned there’s not much reason your brain won’t make the adjustment. 

Also, make sure you are wearing your frames properly. I can’t wear mine over a mask, for example, because it causes them to lay a slightly different way on my face and I get nauseous. So make certain they aren’t slipping or otherwise fitting improperly. 

I thought at first you meant progressive contact lenses! I tried those, or at least bifocal ones and those were a trip! I walked around the store while I was trying them wondering how anyone ever got used to them!

I wear progressive lense glasses and don’t have any problems with them. I think it took a couple days to get thoroughly used to them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joker2 said:

I haven’t taken them in to be checked. I honestly wasn’t putting it together until tonight. I was assuming it was stress (Covid and some other stuff -this year has sucked!).  I’ll try to go this week to have them checked but also get non progressive glasses. 

A word of warning.  Spend the time to get them right if you want to wear them.  Switching back and forth between progressives and non progressive lenses will make things worse.  It's hard on your brain.  🙂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, melmichigan said:

A word of warning.  Spend the time to get them right if you want to wear them.  Switching back and forth between progressives and non progressive lenses will make things worse.  It's hard on your brain.  🙂

I’m not attached to them so maybe I’ll just go back with non progressives and get other glasses for reading. 

Just now, Dmmetler said:

Yes. DH had his remade several times and just never could get them right, so now has multiple pairs of glasses for different distances. He's very prone to motion sickness, etc, and would get extremely dizzy and nauseous with them. 

I wish I had made the connection sooner! I was seriously starting to think something was really wrong. There still could be, but I’m much more inclined to think it’s the glasses. I would rather have more than one pair of glasses than continue feeling so wonky.

6 hours ago, melmichigan said:

Have you had them looked at to see if they need adjusted and are aligned properly?  The continued vertigo can be signs that the aren't properly centered over your eyes, or that they weren't measured correctly.  Some people honestly cannot wear them, but I would rule out the usual problems first.  Poor fit is one of the most common reason people can't adjust to them.

I think this was the problem with my first set of progressives. My glasses make me horribly dizzy, but my sunglasses (different frames) were awesome. I didn’t know about alignment so I just bought a new pair of glasses and they work great.

I never got any, just use trifocals.  I know dh has them and I believe  dd2 does too ( yes, she is young but has abnormal eye issue of being both myopic and also whatever needing glasses for reading not caused by age is called.  Olus did has severe astigmatism that really is her biggest issue).  They both like them but we don't go to cheapo glass places.

I never got them because it was explained to me that with progressives you need to move your neck more than with bifocals or trifocals.  I didn't know then that my neck issues were my Ankolysing Spondylitis but they were and trifocsls are working as well as can be expected either my rapid deteriorating vision.