Menu

Sleeping Queens?

Drama Llama

I have the following things as Hanukkah gifts for my 6 and 8 (almost 7 and 9) year old nieces

A set of oil pastels

The game Sleeping Queens, which I think I learned about from someone here. 

They will almost certainly use both together, since they are BFF and we're pretty locked down. 

I was thinking Sleeping Queens for the 6 year old, but now I see the box says 8+.  Is this a good game for a six year old?  Should I switch them around?  Buy a different game on Amazon? 

6 year old is very 6.  Bright, capable kid, but not far ahead or anything.  

6 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

So, you all approve my choices? 

I totally approve! My kids loved it, and would probably still play it, if I got it out. It's a fun little game. Basic addition (2+3) is required, but it's easy for older players to help with the math, if necessary. They might need to have adults play it with them for awhile, but DH and I liked it and would gladly play it with my kids; it's not the kind of children's game that adults might hate to play.

I like the pastels, as well!

I have nieces who are 6 and 8. I think I may have given them Sleeping Queens last year, when they were 7 and 5.

Another vote that Sleeping Queens is more like 5/6 and up, assuming the kid has the patience for a game at all. I think we got it around that age. I think we probably passed it on to someone else by age 9 or so, though it's a good game for a 6 and 8 yo together.

Yes, great choices. 

My grown kids STILL talk about Sleeping Queens!! IIRC, it was designed by a kid who sent it in and the card company chose to produce it - this sent my kids on a years-long games-creating streak. They made up SO MANY games after playing Sleeping Queens!!! ♥ I bought another deck recently because our old, tattered one disappeared and the kids wanted to play it again for old-times' sake during the quarantine. 😄

6 hours ago, Kareni said:

@Jane in NC, do you care to share your experience with Sleeping Queens?

Regards,

Kareni

4 hours ago, easypeasy said:

My grown kids STILL talk about Sleeping Queens!! IIRC, it was designed by a kid who sent it in and the card company chose to produce it - this sent my kids on a years-long games-creating streak. They made up SO MANY games after playing Sleeping Queens!!! ♥ I bought another deck recently because our old, tattered one disappeared and the kids wanted to play it again for old-times' sake during the quarantine. 😄

Following up on what easypeasy said: the creator of Sleeping Queens is a family friend, a delightful young woman who recently completed her university degree in science. 

Personally I recommend the 10th anniversary edition of the game.  It comes in a tin and contains a few extra cards. 

I will be so pleased to report the SQ memories to the game designer and her family.  Thank you.

• Like 1

I told my family about this thread and the personal connection to the game. Everyone got a kick out of it, and all have fond memories of it. Now, we still have it (though I am not sure if any cards are lost); I don't know if that nostalgia will fuel a desire to play it anytime soon! 😄