Menu

dog question-- UPDATE

JennyD

DS12 *desperately* wants a dog.  He has wanted a dog for ages, and so two years ago we got him a hamster.   He has taken fabulous care of said hamster and I never have to do anything for it except reorder bedding.  We have also dog-sat multiple times for friends, and DS12 did a great job taking full responsibility for guest dogs.  All that is to say, we are quite confident that DS would take very good care of a dog, with our help and supervision of course.

However, my main reservation is that at some point before DS12 goes off to college, we are very likely to have at least one opportunity to spend an extended time - probably 4-6 months -- abroad.  We were out of the country this past spring and it would have been very difficult, if not impossible, to bring a dog with us.   (The hamster stayed with friends.)

My second, and related, reservation is that G-d willing the kids are going to grow up and go off to college or whatever, and then DH and I will be tied down with a dog.  DS swears that he will bring his dog to college with him and live off-campus, but he's 12.

My primary concern is about the probable extended trip abroad, though.  I can't imagine that it's good for a dog to leave it with another caretaker for that length of time, and it seems irresponsible to get a dog if we know that it's very likely we'd do just that.  I should note that I grew up with dogs and my family never traveled or even left the house for more than 7-8 hours at a stretch because of the dogs.  Which is why I've never wanted a dog as an adult.

DH feels that this precludes our getting a dog, and I agree 98%. The other 2% is why I'm posting, though -- is there anything I'm missing here? Thoughts?

UPDATE (and pic) below in the thread 

Edited by JennyD

I think leaving an adult dog for 4 to 6 months with a loving caregiver that they know well is not that big of a deal.  Especially, if you find someone who is willing to stay in your house for that long, but that might not being something you'd want.   Said the person who has done this for people before.   I would never put a dog in a kennel for that long though.

• Like 10

Maybe raise guide dog puppies?

My dog has been living with my BIL and SIL for most of the time since February.  He did fine with the transition.  He then lived with my SIL and BIL (different couple) for a while, and then went back and then to us, and now he's back because they picked him up for the weekend and then got quarantined.  He is totally fine with all of this.  

Another option for the issue of DS going to college would be to get an older dog.  There is a big need for foster homes that will take older dogs. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, rebcoola said:

Sounds like you guys should become a foster home.

How does one do this?  Would I connect with a rescue organization, or something/one else?

12 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Another option for the issue of DS going to college would be to get an older dog.

DS has been saying the same thing, actually.  Along with the taking dog to college idea.

• Like 1

I was going to suggest service dog puppies too.  You have the puppy for 1-2 years, you take them to obedience classes, and if they pass they get trained to be a guide dog, or some other sort of service dog.  I know someone who is raising a puppy to be a dog for a veteran.  Many of them are PTSD service dogs, but others are also trained to do more extensive helps for those with physical disabilities and PTSD. 

Actually it's not called PTSD anymore, it's something else, but I can't remember the politically correct new name. The point is the dog will notice the vet is on the verge of a melt down and does things to help them like lean into them like a weighted blanket.  The physical pressure relieves the panic and helps them cope.  There are other things too, but they need smart and obedient young dogs, but they can't take puppies.

Anyway, you have the dog for 1-2 years.  You don't pay for the dog or the training classes or the vet visits, but you do pay for food.  Of course you have to be sure your son is okay raising a dog to give to someone else.  And you have to live near where someone is doing this sort of training.

• Like 2

Childhood is so short.  A dog can be such a big part of a boys life.  And yes leaving a dog with a trusted friend is not unheard of.  Lots of dogs go away for extended training that long and I hear they don’t forget their owners at all.  

I am definitely on team Get the Boy a Dog. 

• Like 15

I do know someone who used to dog sit at a farm stay and she had a dog in that situation.  Her owners were doing 12 months abroad and couldn’t take her due to the long quarantine period required for dogs.  It was absolutely fine, the dog was very happy with her and settled.  And went back to previous owners easily as well.

If you could find someone willing to do an arrangement like that it might be fine.  It also depends on the temperament of the dog a lot.  If you had a beagle or something similar that’s very social it would likely cope better than a dog breed that’s more strongly bonded to one individual person.

• Like 1

We got a dog when our kids were in elementary school.  We knew that we would have opportunities to travel overseas for at least 2-3 months several times and would not be able to take the dog.  We made a number of different arrangements over the years when we were gone for a long period of time.  Once I had a cousin who happened to be moving to town and was able to house sit and dog sit while he was looking for a place to live; once a new church youth director was moving to town and housesit while we were out of town and she was looking for a place.  Once the dog went to stay with another family that loved dogs.  Somehow we made it work out.  

I am NOT a dog person.  I am highly allergic to dogs, don't like them jumping on me, don't like them tearing up a yard... Getting the dog taken care of while we were out of the country was actually the least of the problems for me of having a dog.  We put that dog to sleep after 16 years.  DS who is in college begged and begged for another dog in fall 2019--I was against it, thinking we would be travelling quite a bit over in 2020--DS won out and the travel hasn't happened due to COVID.  So, it ended up being a good time to get a dog, anyway, if there ever is a good time.  

I have friends who moved to Estonia 1 1/2 years ago and took their two dogs.  They are moving back to the US this week and have had a few more difficulties with flight arrangements because of the dogs. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

12 months abroad

12 months, wow.  

We could easily find someone to stay in our house and take care of the dog, but it would be unlikely to be someone that the dog already knew well.  

3 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

If you had a beagle or something similar that’s very social it would likely cope better than a dog breed that’s more strongly bonded to one individual person.

Interesting point, I hadn't thought about that.

2 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

We got a dog when our kids were in elementary school.  We knew that we would have opportunities to travel overseas for at least 2-3 months several times and would not be able to take the dog.  We made a number of different arrangements over the years when we were gone for a long period of time.  Once I had a cousin who happened to be moving to town and was able to house sit and dog sit while he was looking for a place to live; once a new church youth director was moving to town and housesit while we were out of town and she was looking for a place.  Once the dog went to stay with another family that loved dogs.  Somehow we made it work out.  

I am NOT a dog person.  I am highly allergic to dogs, don't like them jumping on me, don't like them tearing up a yard... Getting the dog taken care of while we were out of the country was actually the least of the problems for me of having a dog.  We put that dog to sleep after 16 years.  DS who is in college begged and begged for another dog in fall 2019--I was against it, thinking we would be travelling quite a bit over in 2020--DS won out and the travel hasn't happened due to COVID.  So, it ended up being a good time to get a dog, anyway, if there ever is a good time.  

I have friends who moved to Estonia 1 1/2 years ago and took their two dogs.  They are moving back to the US this week and have had a few more difficulties with flight arrangements because of the dogs. 

Thanks so much for your perspective, this is very helpful.  

DH has never been keen on people staying in our house while we were away, but this past year when we were gone we had friends staying in our house and honestly it was terrific.  We wound up being away for longer than planned because of the pandemic and when we got back the house was in considerably better shape than it was when we left it empty for a semester a few years ago.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Childhood is so short.  A dog can be such a big part of a boys life.  And yes leaving a dog with a trusted friend is not unheard of.  Lots of dogs go away for extended training that long and I hear they don’t forget their owners at all.  

This! 

• Like 4

I think fostering and/or training is a great idea.

My concern about long travels wouldn’t be so much about difficulty for the dog, but genuinely securing commitment from humans. “Sure, no problem” can look like one thing one day, and then something changes or comes up in the next decade +.

As far as college, I wouldn’t count on it. Some schools require freshmen to live on campus. In the years between now and then, what might off-campus housing costs look like, and how many landlords will allow pets? What might his class schedule and social life look like and how will he guarantee finding time for walks, play, vet care, etc.?  Lots and lots of unknown variables for what will eventually be a dog who’s getting up there in age.

(Says someone who’s trying to transition a 5yo dog from “being dd’s” to “being mine” as she looks forward to her next steps that don’t accommodate dog schedules.)

• Like 2

Never having a childhood dog because the family MIGHT travel at some point is a huge sacrifice for your son. I'd get a dog. (and I did have a dog in college - the dog of my heart, who I will always love)

If he's a true animal lover, asking him to go without a dog is a big deal...it's denying a part of him. Sometimes it can't be helped due to allergies or finances, but nebulous plans for travel? Get the boy a dog. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

When I think about how close Dh and I came to not getting this dog we have now....well, we just can’t imagine life without her.  As far all of the what ifs down the road, I would get the boy a dog and let him enjoy.  Who knows, he might not go to college, or stay at home while he does, or be able to easily take the dog with him.  A college schedule allows for a lot of flexibility to care for a dog.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Also this. 

While I think long term plannning and delayed gratification are important, I think saying no because of what might happen in the next five to six years is too much delaying for a child that has demonstrated they can be responsible. 

If you also understand that when he goes to college, the dog may become  your responsibility, then I'd get a dog. 

My 15 year old lab passed away in 2019, I miss her terribly. The timing is not right for us to get a dog, yet I so miss having a dog. 

• Like 6

You could look into fostering a breeding stock dog for a service dog organization, as a longer-term option. We've had our stud dog for 6 years, and will keep him when he retires (which will be within a year). 

As far as puppy walking, we've done this many times and it's a blessing as well as a challenge. One thing to consider, though, is that a 12 child would not have the full responsibility of looking after a service dog puppy with our organization. They'd have to be 18 years old, and children under 16 are not even allowed to walk the puppies on their own. It's based on responsibility and liability. The agency does not want to place a child in this type of role where is something happens to the dog, they have that responsibility. Injury, accident, loss, etc. are all possibilities, and a minor child does not need that burden placed on them with a service dog pup. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

If he's a true animal lover, asking him to go without a dog is a big deal...it's denying a part of him. Sometimes it can't be helped due to allergies or finances, but nebulous plans for travel?

Our plans aren't nebulous, just indeterminate.  We've spent two long stretches away over the last 5 years.  We will surely have the opportunity to go away again at least once, possibly twice, during a dog's lifetime and it seems irresponsible not to think that through thoroughly beforehand.  

I am not unsympathetic to DS's deep desire for a dog -- on the contrary, that's the *only* reason we're even considering this -- but having grown up with a parent who is also a true animal lover and all that that entails, I am probably less sympathetic than others might be.  

1 hour ago, MercyA said:

It seems so unfair to your DS, who has wanted a dog forever, to say, we will get one but you'll have to give him up after a while.

Yes, this is definitely something to think about.  

11 minutes ago, wintermom said:

children under 16 are not even allowed to walk the puppies on their own.

As is this!  Of course DH and I would take full responsibility for the dog but if DS couldn't walk that dog on his own (which I can see is not unreasonable if you're training service dogs) that would be a nonstarter.

1 hour ago, elegantlion said:

If you also understand that when he goes to college, the dog may become  your responsibility, then I'd get a dog. 

Yeah, DH is okay with this but not sure that I am.   

These replies are all very helpful and I am grateful.  Your comments are giving DH and me a lot of fodder for productive conversation.  

• Like 2

We've always been able to work out an arrangement with our dogs.  Once, we left him with our parents for two months.  Another time, we left him with a dear friend who lives in the country.  They are all people we trust very much, but also, our dog was well-trained so he was easy to have around.  (I think that will be important if you're hoping to leave him with other people for a length of time.)

Another time, the young adult son of a friend came to live in our house  -- he was moving to town just starting a new job.  We exchanged a rent-free home and a fully-stocked kitchen with taking care of an older dog for about 6 weeks, and he was thrilled.

So, there are ways of doing this.  We're "that person" now for our adult dd's and their dogs.  We've cared for them for several months at time.

Also, I think it's unlikely that your ds will be be taking a dog to college, so I'd be prepared for that!  

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 1

We let dd get a dog in high school and it has been a great decision. She did take it to college, and is now a junior. She obviously lives off campus, but has made several great friends because of conversations that began while walking the dog. As a kid with some social anxiety, I truly believe the dog has helped her meet people and get outside for some fresh air once in a while. I will add that we dogsit during finals week so she has more study time. ( Her school is only about 3 hours away)

• Like 4

I have made both the decision to 'not get a dog for a pet crazy kid' and the decision 'to get a dog for a kinda pet crazy kid'. LOL

DD22 loves, loves, loves pets. She wanted a pet all her years growing up. I refused. She was super busy, had lots of friends and I knew I was going to be tied down taking care of it for her. We used to go to a cabin in the winter for a week at a time and I didn't want to have to worry about boarding the dog, or having someone else care for it. Another huge issue, was that I was worried that our youngest daughter may hurt the dog.  It was the right decision for me, but only half-right for her. I told her that she can have a pet for the rest of her life, but just not right then. When she moved out, she adopted a dog and they are pure bliss together. She understands why I made the decision I did, and doesn't hold resentment from it. I am very glad I didn't get a dog for dd22 when she was little. I now know that DD14 would have definitely hurt it, and that would have made the whole situation worse than never having a dog. 

DD14 is alone most of the day. With COVID and her limited friend base, she is very, very lonely. I got her a dog this summer. We no longer go to the cabin, the previous owners of the dog will pet sit, and she needed a healthy distraction. It is a ton of work for me! DD14 takes care of the dog, but only with prompting and I am always having to scold dd14 on appropriate behavior with the dog. DD14 is low IQ and autistic(she is the daughter I was worried about above). She has a hard time understanding people's body language.....she especially doesn't understand dog body language. She sometimes likes to play with the dog in a way that frustrates the dog. Then if the dog moves away, she will follow her or pick her up and bring her back. I am working on this but am not always there to intervene. The dog is gentle and will mouth dd's hands if she gets upset, but she doesn't bite, so that is a good thing. She will do things like tap the dogs paw until the dog pulls its paw away, then she will reach over and grab the paw back out and keep doing it. Nothing horrible, just annoying to the dog.

DD22 is completely fine not having a pet growing up. She would have loved it, but she is well adjusted and happy with out one.  If you don't want a dog, then don't get one. Being a dog foster parent can help, but you can't always determine the breed or temperament of the dog you will be homing. And you can't always give it back, with out huge amounts of guilt if there are problems. I have seen a few friends try this route and end up stuck with a dog that no one wants to adopt, and the rescue tells them there is no other home for them. With COVID there are lots of pets moving around. It wouldn't hurt to reach out, but do know that often rescue pets have been surrendered for a behavioral reason. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

On the other side of this, at the end of the day it’s ultimately your (and dh) decision whether to get a dog. And  the absolute most important thing is what is best for the dog. 

ITA with this as well.  The responsibility of the dog will always fall more on a parent than the child who begged for the dog even with a responsible 12yo. You know the dynamics of your home and whether that will be you or your DH or equally between you. (In our house, it is absolutely me who carries it the most.) With a puppy, there will be things destroyed.  There will be vet bills for shots, deworming, medication for heartworm and flea/tick prevention, random visits when you think the dog might be sick. There will be puke and poop on the floor and potentially carpets ruined (even very well trained dogs get sick sometimes which can cause pretty gross accidents.)  The cost of grooming or baths if needed.  When life is normal again, your DS will be out with his friends more often and when he is in high school and driving maybe he will be out ALL the time.  College -- there is no way I could have taken a dog to college as I went out of state and lived in a dorm.  I doubt that will be a deciding factor for your DS when other things are more important than whether or not he can take the dog, such as what he wants to major in and what schools are available for that. 

I'm not saying this to dissuade you from getting a dog, only to point out that it really will ultimately fall on you, so the decision needs to be yours.  I would be concerned about the travel personally.  It can be hard even to find someone we trust to watch our dog for a week; I have no idea who we would ask for 6 months and I wouldn't want that to prevent such a great opportunity for an extended trip.   Do you have  a relative who loves dogs?  Maybe ask around before making this decision to see what your options are.  BUT keep in mind that if you end up with a high maintenance dog, the person might change their mind!  

Your DS can always get a dog when he is an adult if it doesn't fit into your family situation right now.  You don't "owe" it to him right now.  I say this as a dog owner with an incredible dog that we love to pieces. 

One thing I just thought of -- if you end up deciding to get a dog, maybe consider one that is small enough to travel with you internationally?  I don't know if that is feasible with travel the way it is right now, just a thought. 

• Like 1

Another vote for getting a senior dog, which would give your son the experience he wants without necessarily committing you to looking after the dog for years and years after he leaves for college. Shelters are full of senior dogs who desperately need homes, and I think it can be incredibly rewarding to be able to give a dog who has maybe had a rough life the chance to experience love, comfort, and safety in their golden years. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Scarlett said:

When I think about how close Dh and I came to not getting this dog we have now....well, we just can’t imagine life without her.  As far all of the what ifs down the road, I would get the boy a dog and let him enjoy.  Who knows, he might not go to college, or stay at home while he does, or be able to easily take the dog with him.  A college schedule allows for a lot of flexibility to care for a dog.  

Yes! My dog I got in college was the best trained of all my dogs, because I had the sheer time to spend. Lots of people said it was a bad idea, especially money wise, but also time wise. I told them I don't go to clubs, or drink, or party, or even go to the movies, so all that time/money is for my dog 🙂

1 minute ago, Corraleno said:

Another vote for getting a senior dog, which would give your son the experience he wants without necessarily committing you to looking after the dog for years and years after he leaves for college. Shelters are full of senior dogs who desperately need homes, and I think it can be incredibly rewarding to be able to give a dog who has maybe had a rough life the chance to experience love, comfort, and safety in their golden years. 

Actually, IF DS could handle the heartbreak, many rescue groups will do a permanent foster program for senior dogs where they pay for the medical bills and such, if you take the senior in to live out it's last year or so. Not sure that is a healthy idea for a young boy, but it is an option. Usually older people who have been through loss before and know what they are getting into do this. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

Actually, IF DS could handle the heartbreak, many rescue groups will do a permanent foster program for senior dogs where they pay for the medical bills and such, if you take the senior in to live out it's last year or so. Not sure that is a healthy idea for a young boy, but it is an option. Usually older people who have been through loss before and know what they are getting into do this. 

Yeah, in the OP's case I was thinking more in terms of a small dog around 8 or so, who will hopefully have another 5-6 years ahead of them. My dog is 9, and I hope he's around for quite a few more years!

I agree that taking in a hospice dog is a wonderful thing to do if a person can handle it. One of the rescues I support takes in a lot of hospice cases and I know that as heartbreaking as it is to lose them, it's even more heartbreaking to think of them ending their lives in a cold, scary shelter instead of a loving home. This rescue just lost a dog they saved from horrific conditions where he basically spent his entire life in a cage. He was blind, toothless, had a collapsed/broken nose, cancer, and a long list of other issues. Seeing that little guy curled up on his foster's chest with his head nestled against her neck, feeling comfort and love for the first time, made me decide that I wanted to do that — so much so that I'm incorporating those plans into my current remodeling & relandscaping projects (e.g. flooring that can handle lots of doggie accidents, a ramp from the deck to the yard, etc.). 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, kand said:

It’s a different experience than a puppy, and that’s part of what we think makes it so great. Puppies are adorable, but are also a ton of work. Our senior dogs have slid into the household so easily, and we are every bit as attached to our dog as if we’d gotten her as a puppy. Plus, with most breeds, a dog of 5-8 years is still full of activity. Most dogs don’t become slugs outside  until they are quite elderly. Ours have been active and love to run and go for walks and play and all of that. 

I disagree entirely. Might be convenient for adults, but the end of life issues are hard and expensive and it would rob a child of living with a dog through its life stages--and especially the dog's youth. That when kids and puppies bond. The boy would be shortchanged IMO. 

Bill

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kand said:

I will say that my 12yo who campaigned hard for a dog for a year and initially took great care of her is now an 18yo who does nothing for the dog.

Boy, that's a cautionary tale.  He's managed to sustain considerable interest in the hamster over two years, and the hamster is frankly not all that interesting, so I'm optimistic about a dog but your point is very well taken.  Thanks for mentioning it.

I’m with Spy Car here - if you decide to get a dog for your son, let him get a puppy.    The rewards will be great.  If your son has been faithful with his hamster for two years, and done so well with guest dogs, I would be seriously surprised if he didn’t do well with his own dog.  

If you decide you just don’t want to take on a dog - look into fostering - your local rescue places will love you!  Or into the guide dog puppy program.  

Anne

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Update:  

In early January DS's beloved hamster sadly went to the Great Wheel in the Sky.  In mid-February we adopted an 8-week old puppy of some interdeterminate mix of breeds  The vet estimates that he will probably be 60-70lbs full-grown, which is about 30 lbs more that we (meaning I) thought would be ideal, but he is a sweet, seemingly good-tempered doggie and has quickly become part of the family.  

DS13 is completely devoted to the dog and does about 90% of the work of caring for the little guy.  (The other 10% is because we force him to (1) still do schoolwork; and (2) go to sleep early, since he sets an alarm to get up before the dog does in the morning.)  My house smells like dog and I can't say that we would have signed up for this if it hadn't been for DS, but I honestly think that the last month has been the happiest of our middle son's life.

Thanks for all the advice here.  It really helped DH and me work through our thoughts on the matter.

Pic -- 14 weeks

c402569d-9f0c-43fb-87d3-9c2b1bd06977.jpg

Edited by JennyD
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JennyD said:

Update:  

In early January DS's beloved hamster sadly went to the Great Wheel in the Sky.  In mid-February we adopted an 8-week old puppy of some interdeterminate mix of breeds  The vet has no idea what he might be, breed-wise, but estimates that he will probably be 60-70lbs full-grown, which is about 30 lbs more that we (meaning I) thought would be ideal, but he is a sweet, seemingly good-tempered doggie and has quickly become part of the family.  

DS13 is completely devoted to the dog and does about 90% of the work of caring for the little guy.  (The other 10% is because we force him to (1) still do schoolwork; and (2) go to sleep early, since he sets an alarm to get up before the dog does in the morning.)  My house smells like dog and I can't say that we would have signed up for this if it hadn't been for DS, but I honestly think that the last month has been the happiest of our middle son's life.

Thanks for all the advice here.  It really helped DH and I work through our thoughts on the matter.

Pic -- 14 weeks

I'm so glad you got your son a dog!  What a cutie!

• Like 1

• JennyD changed the title to dog question-- UPDATE
41 minutes ago, JennyD said:

Update:  

In early January DS's beloved hamster sadly went to the Great Wheel in the Sky.  In mid-February we adopted an 8-week old puppy of some interdeterminate mix of breeds  The vet estimates that he will probably be 60-70lbs full-grown, which is about 30 lbs more that we (meaning I) thought would be ideal, but he is a sweet, seemingly good-tempered doggie and has quickly become part of the family.  

Thanks for all the advice here.  It really helped DH and me work through our thoughts on the matter.

Pic -- 14 weeks

Aww. So cute.

Good on you!!!

May I suggest searching for the term "bite inhibition" and author "Spy Car" for the best and most important puppy training advice I can offer to ensure you have a dog with a soft mouth who will not bite.

I've taught this bite inhibition technique to many new puppy owners over the years and have never once known of a failure. 

It a technique that I learned from an "old hand" when I was a kid and have built upon it since. And isn't a method I've seen described elsewhere. If I could only help someone with one dog rearing tip, this would be it. By a mile.

Anyway, best wishes. Your son must be over the moon. Well done!

Bill

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

May I suggest searching for the term "bite inhibition" and author "Spy Car" for the best and most important puppy training advice I can offer to ensure you have a dog with a soft mouth who will not bite.

I've taught this bite inhibition technique to many new puppy owners over the years and have never once known of a failure. 

It a technique that I learned from an "old hand" when I was a kid and have built upon it since. And isn't a method I've seen described elsewhere. If I could only help someone with one dog rearing tip, this would be it. By a mile.

Thanks.  DS and I took an online puppy kindergarten course and the teacher also stressed learning bite inhibition, so we have been working on that.  Puppy is getting better but still has a ways to go.  I will look up your method.

• Like 1

Just now, JennyD said:

Thanks.  DS and I took an online puppy kindergarten course and the teacher also stressed learning bite inhibition, so we have been working on that.  Puppy is getting better but still has a ways to go.  I will look up your method.

A more "popular" method of bite inhibition training is the one put forward by the world famous animal behaviorist Ian Dunbar, a man who holds both a veterinary degree and a degree in physiology & biochemistry from the Royal Veterinary College in addition to having a doctorate in animal behavior from the psychology department at UC Berkeley (my alma mater).

And against that, I have the chutzpah to tell you that the method I advocate for is better than Dunbar's 

So who are you going to believe, a guy with books, degrees, international celebrity or old Bill? LOL.

Bill

• Haha 2