Menu

Food gifts that don't disappoint

sassenach

This is a bit off the beaten path but if meat is something you are looking for, have you thought about checking if a local butcher or restaurant in their area offers something? There is a deli here that occasionally offers really good deals on meat packages (x number of steaks, y lbs of ground beef, z pork chops, etc. plus something they specialize in). The plus is you are supporting a local small business. 

• Like 2

We've used https://www.nueskes.com/ for several years after someone here recommended them. We've been very happy. My mom and her husband like the liver sausage (liverwurst), my husband and dd like the summer sausages, and my dad and his wife like the sausage and cheese gift pack, which is what we now send every year. Two years ago, they offered a free pound of bacon. It's not something we'd usually spend a lot on, but it was delicious! We've never had problems with the shipping. You choose a date and they ship it on that date. One thing to keep in mind if you go this route is to watch the shipping charge. Because they send everything overnight or 2 day delivery, if you ask for the item to be shipped at the end of the week, you'll pay the overnight charge. That's caught me off guard a couple of times, but when I change the shipping date to earlier in the week, the shipping charge drops.

If you have a state U that has an Agriculture and Food Science school, check  there.  One side effect of DD looking primarily at programs that exist in schools of Agriculture is that I'm discovering just how many actually have a craft production component, usually from animals and plants raised by students, cared for by students, and, yes, rated and processed and prepared by students. Prices are usually good, and it also helps to support the programs and the students.  Some even ship, so my family members who eat dairy are getting some really awesome cheese made by the University of Tennessee Agriculture and Food Science college this year. 

• Like 4

I order every year from iGourmet and they have a large selection of many types of gifts (meats, cheeses, spreads, crackers, etc).  You can order separately or choose a premade gift basket (many different themes). They also have gift subscriptions.  They have a 15% off code of HOME20 right now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I third Omaha Steaks.  Crazy pricey but the in-laws loved them.

Also, Casa de Fruta  in California has great dried fruit and nut baskets that are fresh and local, and are not a big chain.  Highly recommended.

I loved visiting Casa de Fruta when I lived in San Jose! It's been over 20 years so I suppose I can't vouch for current quality, lol, but it was always a reliably good company! Glad to hear they are still around!

• Like 1

Bacon of the Month Club. There are several, and the one I used does not seem to be in business any more, but still--bacon. I've also given Nueske's bacon before as a one-time gift, and it was well received. Christmas was at my house that year, so I just froze it all when it arrived and gave it frozen.

Early in the pandemic I sent my adult kiddos far from home Omaha Steaks. Grocery shopping was hit or miss and they were spending alot of time at home and cooking out. I actually ordered some for us too. Everything was really good. Even the side dishes and things that came in different packages were really good. I'm not usually one to like prepared frozen dishes like that but we were really happy with it. They have a variety of packages.