Menu

Hot Rollers?

marbel

My college-aged daughter has amazing long hair full of body. She sometimes curls it with a curling iron (she has a couple of sizes and I think even uses her flatiron for curling?) or walks around with some grippy rollers in her hair for a few hours. Today I was reminiscing about my hot roller days of the '70s and was only half-surprised to see that they are still/again a thing. I think I feel a January birthday gift coming on for her. 

Any recommendations? Of course I saw prices from ~$15 to over $100. I would like to stay on the lower end - after all, she may hate them or decide to cut off her hair at any moment.  But I don't want to buy junk.

I know I can read reviews but it's always nice to get recommendations from people I "know" if possible. So I'm asking if anyone has any recent experience and comments about brands or what to look for. 

Edited by marbel

Yes!  I have hot rollers and use them occasionally... very occasionally.  They are becoming popular again.

You want ones with the velvet on the roller and also buy those claw clips to use along with the pins that come with the rollers.   I have this brand rollers:

https://www.ecosmetics.com/product/nano-titanium-12-roller-set/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAzsz-BRCCARIsANotFgODC_SOhHsUXSf4D3u25SwXEFMp7R4XgfjQ5vY53nsxHecg1FQfxD4aAhOOEALw_wcB

If she has long thick hair you probably want to get her a set that only has the big rollers like above. She's probably never use the small ones that come in the variety pack.    

FWIW, I got mine on Ebay for a song and it still had  the box .

these are the Clips I'm talking about. 

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, PrincessMommy said:

Yes!  I have hot rollers and use them occasionally... very occasionally.  They are becoming popular again.

You want ones with the velvet on the roller and also buy those claw clips to use along with the pins that come with the rollers.   I have this brand rollers:

https://www.ecosmetics.com/product/nano-titanium-12-roller-set/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAzsz-BRCCARIsANotFgODC_SOhHsUXSf4D3u25SwXEFMp7R4XgfjQ5vY53nsxHecg1FQfxD4aAhOOEALw_wcB

If she has long thick hair you probably want to get her a set that only has the big rollers like above. She's probably never use the small ones that come in the variety pack.    

Thank you! That's helpful advice. I think she could have some fun with that. She'll be stuck living at home again this semester (her senior year of college!) so tossing a new fun thing her way may help a little.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beth S said:

I still hot-roll my hair on Sundays, w/ a set from 1984 (w/velvet surface, like PP). 
I do have long hair (twice as long as in 1984), so it's somewhat of a pain to get all the hair smoothly on the curler.

I wonder if there are hot rollers for longer hair?!? 

I have used her advice and I've been very happy with the health of my hair.  She's uses hot rollers too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/11/2020 at 10:44 PM, PrincessMommy said:

Just ordered  2 sets (one for a gift).  I’ve been looking for rollers.  Mine are over 30 years old and not all heat up.

• Like 2

Sunday mornings at my house as a little girl smelled like hot rollers, White Shoulders, and coffee cake. Yum. My mom always used hot rollers on Sundays and sometimes she still does (not this year, of course...) 

My DD12 LOVES the look of her grandma's hair after she uses hot rollers. So pretty. She's in her late 60's with long hair and it is still a lovely look.

If I could learn to roll my hair quickly, I'd be awfully tempted to buy some for myself. Maybe I could practice on DD. 🙂 

• Like 1