Menu

Sewing machines--recommendations and features to look for or avoid?

Harriet Vane

Dear fil is planning to buy a sewing machine as a combined Christmas and birthday gift for his darling granddaughter. Since I sew tons, he'd like my help choosing the right machine. My limitations are that I am not going in any stores (or really much of anywhere at all) and also that, though I sew so much, it's all been on my trusty old basic Singer for decades.

The darling granddaughter receiving this gift has made enough projects to know the basics, but she is still at the beginner or perhaps intermediate phase. She'd like a machine that can do some nifty things, but she still has a learning curve ahead of her.

Any recommendations? Features to look for or avoid? Links to video demonstrations?

Thanks for your help.

We got a nice Janome from Costco at the start of the pandemic--maybe about $260. We've been very happy with it. Pretty much all we've sewn so far are masks (and dd did some doll clothes). I'm no expert on either sewing or sewing machines, but we've been very happy with this. Granddaughter's young eyes probably won't care about this feature at all, but I'm very happy to have the auto needle threader, though it did take a time or two to figure out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harriet Vane said:

Age 24🙂

Ok, so what you might do, just to see what happens, is call some dealers (Viking, Bernina, etc.) and see what they might be able to get her into at that pricepoint. Older machines can be AMAZING. They're built like tanks, all metal insides. Now a new Janome is wonderful too! But it might be interesting to see. I have a mid 80s Bernina that runs like a dream, and it's built all metal inside. Unfortunately, I think it might cost you more ($600-800), but who knows? It would at least be an interesting conversation to have, costs you nothing to ask.

The only thing I would definitely be picky on is the grumbly start. You want it to start smoothly and nicely. I really hate grumbly machines. If it's metal inside, not plastic, and has a smooth start, it will probably be fine. Features like needle down, drop in bobbins, etc. are nice and you'll get them at that pricepoint on something like the Janome.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Ok, so what you might do, just to see what happens, is call some dealers (Viking, Bernina, etc.) and see what they might be able to get her into at that pricepoint. Older machines can be AMAZING. They're built like tanks, all metal insides. Now a new Janome is wonderful too! But it might be interesting to see. I have a mid 80s Bernina that runs like a dream, and it's built all metal inside. Unfortunately, I think it might cost you more ($600-800), but who knows? It would at least be an interesting conversation to have, costs you nothing to ask.

The only thing I would definitely be picky on is the grumbly start. You want it to start smoothly and nicely. I really hate grumbly machines. If it's metal inside, not plastic, and has a smooth start, it will probably be fine. Features like needle down, drop in bobbins, etc. are nice and you'll get them at that pricepoint on something like the Janome.

I do agree that some older machines are better than the ones they make now. I had an old Kenmore from the 1970s, I think that I got rid of and bought a newer Kenmore ( but this was 10 years ago now, and I think they don’t make them anymore) and there are just some things, like the buttonhole, that the older machine did  better, and it was just sturdier overall.

The feature I really appreciate on mine is the needle threader, though when I got it I thought it would be useless. 

• Like 3