Menu

Disposable or electric razor for teen?

matrips

My boys mustaches are coming in heavier than they used to, and they need a proper razor.  My little hair trimmer thing is not working on them anymore.

So what type of razor does your teen prefer?  Nothing other than a full mustache area for now. If they use disposable, is there a particular brand they like?  I know I have a favorite women’s brand that I love.  But the shape/size wouldn’t work for above the lip.  And one that I hate because it cuts me.

thanks. 

I would choose between an old fashioned safety one where you replace the blades and an electric. I know disposable ones are just as cheap, but the waste. It's just not justifiable to me. 

My teens prefer the old fashioned kind over electric and they're in a similar stage of shaving. Mostly the mustache. Very occasionally other facial bits.

• Like 2

Thanks.

Since posting I did some more research.  It seems that electric is recommended for teens due to acne issues- they glide over the acne since they don’t cut as close.  Safety razors came in last due to extra risk of ingrown hairs and the close shave against acne or pimples.  That surprised me.  I was leaning towards them.

and in electrics- it seems that the foil kind is recommended over rotary for teens.

due to random acne, I’ll probably go with electric for them.  Now to decide on which one.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, matrips said:

Thanks.

Since posting I did some more research.  It seems that electric is recommended for teens due to acne issues- they glide over the acne since they don’t cut as close.  Safety razors came in last due to extra risk of ingrown hairs and the close shave against acne or pimples.  That surprised me.  I was leaning towards them.

and in electrics- it seems that the foil kind is recommended over rotary for teens.

due to random acne, I’ll probably go with electric for them.  Now to decide on which one.  

If they don't care about color, this Panasonic rechargeable razor is a good, cheap, effective option. I've bought 4 of them so far, for myself and both kids plus a replacement for one DS left in a hotel. It has excellent reviews, and most of the negative ones are for things like not working in UK outlets, or not having a cord (which IMO is a feature not a bug), the warranty not working in Canada, not being ideal for close-shaving of private parts, and things like that.

DS still uses his for quick daily shaves, and he uses the popup trimmer for the back of his neck between visits to the barber, although if he's going somewhere and wants to look nice he will use a regular razor (Gilette Mach something-or-other). But when he was younger and had bad acne, this little electric shaver was perfect for teen boy fuzz.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Thanks 1

1ds and 2ds had electric razors until they reached the age they preferred a (not-disposable) blade.

dudeling - prefers to use 2ds's blade . . . . he gets made if I so much as ask what he'd like.  2ds has taken him aside to give him "the talk" - and is dealing with it with him.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

If they don't care about color, this Panasonic rechargeable razor is a good, cheap, effective option. I've bought 4 of them so far, for myself and both kids plus a replacement for one DS left in a hotel. It has excellent reviews, and most of the negative ones are for things like not working in UK outlets, or not having a cord (which IMO is a feature not a bug), the warranty not working in Canada, not being ideal for close-shaving of private parts, and things like that.

DS still uses his for quick daily shaves, and he uses the popup trimmer for the back of his neck between visits to the barber, although if he's going somewhere and wants to look nice he will use a regular razor (Gilette Mach something-or-other). But when he was younger and had bad acne, this little electric shaver was perfect for teen boy fuzz.

That’s a good price.  I might just let them try that.  I’m getting overwhelmed looking at all the razors out there 🤦‍♀️

7 hours ago, Farrar said:

I would choose between an old fashioned safety one where you replace the blades and an electric. I know disposable ones are just as cheap, but the waste. It's just not justifiable to me. 

My teens prefer the old fashioned kind over electric and they're in a similar stage of shaving. Mostly the mustache. Very occasionally other facial bits.

My son uses a safety razor. Dh went to a straight blade years ago so we started ds on the same. It is much cheaper, much less waste, and it doesn't bother dh's sensitive skin like disposables did.

• Like 2

If your son has acne prone or oily skin, electric may cause him to break out. My DS invested in a nice electric, but it made him break out on areas of his face he doesn't usually have problems with. He switched back to fresh, bacteria free razors and tossing them regularly.

Edited by IfIOnly
  • Like 1

Harry's. It's one that you keep the handle. We had a promotional coupon to get the initial subscription and then cancelled later. Their products are also available locally at Meijer and maybe some other stores. DH says the razors are really nice but a lot less expensive than other brands, and my DS finally started shaving when he got one of these (blondie, so he could get away with not shaving for a long time).

This man despises electric razors with the heat of 1000 suns.

They irritate the skin badly (mine anyway) and they do a really lousy job of shaving. They are also expensive and unless properly maintained will clog and/or breakdown. 

I'd go with either a modern cartridge razor--which are foolproof, take little skill, and work well--or an old fashioned safety razor that takes double-edged blades that would link a boy with the art of manliness. The latter take skill.

Either is preferable to electric razors IMO.

Bill

ETA: "Disposables" are terrible. Avoid these.

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 2