Menu

Please, share your shelf stable pantry meals

Excelsior! Academy

Pantry only meals preferred, but easy to store root vegetables, fruits like apples, and freezer foods allowed.  Healthy is encouraged, but not assumed.  These are emergency meals for super busy days or as insurance when there are potential food shortages. 

I'll start...

Spaghetti - noodles, sauce, green beans and parmesan cheese

Salmon patties - canned salmon, crackers, egg.  Serve with greens like canned or frozen spinach, fried potatoes and ketchup. 

Burritos - refried beans, salsa, cheese, tortillas.  Can be served with Spanish rice or chips and salsa.

Puttanesca: pasta, kalamata olives, capers, oregano, garlic (dried okay in a pinch), can of tomatoes, red pepper flakes. Optional: can of tuna or sardines, fresh parsley.

Potato pancakes: grated potatoes, grated or finely chopped onion, salt and pepper, egg, something to act as a binder, vegetable oil. I like to use mashed potatoes with the grated potatoes. I know somebody who likes to mash up a can of white beans. Optional: grated carrot, parsnip, and/or sweet potato. Serve with applesauce or sour cream.

Pancakes: milk or buttermilk (for pantry only use evaporated milk), egg, butter (or vegetable oil), flour, salt, sugar, baking soda, baking powder. If you don't have an egg you can make an egg replacement with flaxseed, of all things.

Pasta with garlic and oil: pasta, garlic, olive oil or butter. Cook the garlic over a low heat with lots of oil until no longer so pungent, mix with spaghetti. Optional: anchovies (cook with the garlic), pancetta (ditto), parmesan (add to the end), chopped sundried tomatoes, red pepper flakes or italian seasoning.

Chickpeas: chickpeas, tomato paste, onions, garlic, ginger (all three fresh!), garam masala. Cook the aromatics together, finely chopped, until translucent. Add the tomato paste, stir a bit, deglaze, add the chickpeas and spices, coat thoroughly.

• Thanks 1

This is more freezer friendly than shelf stable, but it's my go-to when I don't want to think about cooking.

Honey Garlic Meatballs: frozen meatballs, honey, brown sugar, minced garlic, ground ginger, soy sauce. Dump it all in a slow cooker or Instant Pot (I add a little broth if cooking in the IP), and serve over rice or noodles. I usually do frozen green beans with it. 

• Like 1

Black bean tacos

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed 

1 can corn, drained 

1 can diced tomatoes (your favorite kind),,,partially drained if you want

Heat and serve on flour tortillas.

Can add cheese, lettuce, sour cream, etc when you serve.

Easy to add in cooked up beef, chicken, and/or rice for a more filling meal.

This goes together in about 5 minutes.  We have even done this in hotel room microwave.

• Like 2