Menu

Help me put these Vineland results in perspective?

wendyroo

What does it all mean?
I can't tell if there is actionable information, or if it just means to keep on keeping on.

Elliot is 9 years and 6 months.
He has diagnoses of ASD, ADHD, Anxiety, ODD and DMDD.

Communication:
Receptive:     v-scale 12, age eq. 3:6
Expressive:    v-scale 13, age eq. 5:6
Written:        v-scale 14, age eq. 8:9
Communication Total:   v-score 39

Daily Living Skills:
Personal:       v-scale 13, age eq. 5:9
Domestic:      v-scale 11, age eq. 5:0
Community:   v-scale 14, age eq. 8:7
Daily Living Skills Total:   v-score 38

Socialization:
Interpersonal:  v-scale 8, age eq. 1:9
Play:                v-scale 11, age eq. 3:5
Coping:           v-scale 7, age eq. <2:0
Socialization Total:   v-score 26

Motor:
Gross:     v-scale 14, age eq. 7:3
Fine:       v-scale 12, age eq. 6:6
Motor Total:   v-score 26

Percentile Ranks:
Communication: 18
Daily Living Skills: 16
Socialization: 1
Motor: 16

Thanks!

Is there anything that surprises you?  Or does it seem like — you’re aware and addressing things?

I haven’t really ever gotten anything actionable from a Vineland.

It can help to document a need for some services/goals when that has been an issue — but it’s been more of a paperwork thing than anything that was unexpected.  

If you have an IEP or something, it could justify related goals — that kind of thing.  

37 minutes ago, Lecka said:

Is there anything that surprises you?  Or does it seem like — you’re aware and addressing things?

I haven’t really ever gotten anything actionable from a Vineland.

It can help to document a need for some services/goals when that has been an issue — but it’s been more of a paperwork thing than anything that was unexpected.  

If you have an IEP or something, it could justify related goals — that kind of thing.  

The goal was to appease insurance, so I know why it was done.

I'm more wondering what it means. Obviously, being in the first percentile for socialization is a huge problem, but is being in the 18th percentile for communication significantly impacting his day to day functioning? The BCBA listed communication as one of his strengths, but realistically, his receptive language is the equivalent of a child a third his age.

Is the anomaly of his written communication being by far his strongest subscore in that section, despite his fine motor being quite low, a function of his intelligence masking his communication weaknesses? Does the same thing perhaps account for his weirdly high "Community" score?

I guess I am just feeling a bit disheartened that the skills the BCBA tagged as his strengths are ones that he is "only" 3 to 4 years delayed in. 😞

• Like 1

22 hours ago, wendyroo said:

What does it all mean?
I can't tell if there is actionable information, or if it just means to keep on keeping on.

Elliot is 9 years and 6 months.
He has diagnoses of ASD, ADHD, Anxiety, ODD and DMDD.

Communication:
Receptive:     v-scale 12, age eq. 3:6
Expressive:    v-scale 13, age eq. 5:6
Written:        v-scale 14, age eq. 8:9
Communication Total:   v-score 39

Daily Living Skills:
Personal:       v-scale 13, age eq. 5:9
Domestic:      v-scale 11, age eq. 5:0
Community:   v-scale 14, age eq. 8:7
Daily Living Skills Total:   v-score 38

Socialization:
Interpersonal:  v-scale 8, age eq. 1:9
Play:                v-scale 11, age eq. 3:5
Coping:           v-scale 7, age eq. <2:0
Socialization Total:   v-score 26

Motor:
Gross:     v-scale 14, age eq. 7:3
Fine:       v-scale 12, age eq. 6:6
Motor Total:   v-score 26

Percentile Ranks:
Communication: 18
Daily Living Skills: 16
Socialization: 1
Motor: 16

Thanks!

I'll take a stab at this.  It's going to be long and teacherish because well, that's who I am.  I'm sure I'm including a lot of stuff you already know, so I'm putting this in headings so you can skip what you already know. 

Vineland Scores only make sense in context

Vineland scores are generally interpreted by comparing them to other scores, so I'm going to interpret these in terms of what I think I already know based on your other posts, which is that Elliot is a child who performs at a much higher level academically than he did here, and that he has either received or is assumed that he would achieve an IQ score with three digits.  

Throw out the age equivalencies, concentrate on V scores and percentiles

I'll also say that I think that age equivalencies on these kinds of tests are meaningless, especially for a kid with diagnoses that often causes skills to develop in different sequence, and for kids to use different methods of meeting their needs than typical kids.  I'll use my middle kid as an example of what I mean by this.  His fine motor skills were hugely impacted by destructive arthritis in his hands.  Anything that involved movement within in his hands was impossible.  Things that a typical baby can do easily like grabbing a handful of mom's hair and pulling it, or scooping up food into a fist and sticking the fist into their mouth, he was not able to do at all.  Similarly, he couldn't do anything that involved bearing weight on, or exerting pressure through his hands.  You know that adorable baby pose where they lie on their stomachs and push up like a seal?  Yeah, he couldn't do that.  So, on a test that calculates scores by looking at the oldest age where a kid can do everything, he'd get a fine motor score of like 3 months.  On a test like the Vineland which lists skills and then just counts up the number of skills the kid can do, he'd score higher, but still probably under 18 months.  But even though he couldn't do those things, there were other things he could do.  He had much more movement at his elbow than at his hand, and so he could target very precisely. He could play internet chess, and use a communication device with more than 100 cells, and type.  Babies under 18 months don't do any of those things.  So, to say he used his hands like a 3 month old was ridiculous.  He used his hands like himself. 

V scores are useful though, because of comparing Elliot to younger kids, they compare him to kids his own age.  They're asking, given a list of tasks a kid this age might have an opportunity to do, how does the number of tasks he can do compare to other 9.5 year olds.  That's a much more meaningful question.

Vineland V scores have a mean of 15, and a standard deviation of 3, meaning that a score between 12 and 18 is solidly average, and a score between 9 and 12 is below average, and anything below 9 is considered very low.  For context, I specialize in kids who either have intellectual disability, or have another primary disability (usually ASD or TBI) and have ID as part of their profile.  Kids would need to have multiple scores below 9 to access my program. 

For composite scores, total V score on the Vineland isn't a meaningful thing, because you're adding different number of subscores.  It's something you calculate to get to meaningful scores like percentile ranks, but it's a little like if I told you that my kid got 9 words correct on his last spelling test.  If you don't know how many words were on the test, you can't do anything with that information.  

How I'd interpret his scores, by domain

Communication:

Although these scores are average, communication for many kids goes hand in hand with their intelligence, and the fact that his composite is right at the bottom of the average range, and his IQ is far from that tells me that his disability is impacting him this area. With an ASD diagnosis that isn't surprising at all.  If he has had a speech language in the past few years, I'd compare those scores to these to get a sense of the underlying issue.  I'd probably be thinking about 3 hypotheses.

1) These scores align with the results of his speech evaluation, or are better than the results of his speech evaluation then I'd probably assume that underlying speech/language issues are the cause, and follow the recommendations of the speech therapist.  

2) These scores are significantly below the results of his speech evaluation, indicating that he has skills that he isn't applying well in real life situations.  In that case, I'd consider whether interventions that are more specific for ASD like social thinking, or RDI, or floor time make sense.  

3) These scores are the results of lots of 1's (sometimes) on the Vineland, I would take that to mean that his performance is uneven due to issues with self regulation, and that the thing that's going to improve his performance is focusing my interventions on behavior and self regulation.  You've mentioned that you're already using ABA for self regulation, and I think that's a really solid choice.  

If you don't have a speech evaluation, I might get one after this, but given that these scores are still average, I wouldn't feel a rush.  So, waiting until the next triennial if you get school services, or until after covid, or until you've addressed more pressing issues would be fine.

Daily Living:

Again, these scores are average, but below his intellect, with one slightly lower score.  Having said that, I would be less alarmed by these scores than the communication scores.  For one thing, it's pretty clear  from other posts of yours that Elliot's biggest issues are around emotional regulation, and not being able to communicate well is much more likely to be contributing to that problem, than poor domestic skills.  In fact is that it's the reverse, that he got this low score because you ask him to do things that other kids his age do without help (like brush his teeth), and he refuses, not because of some underlying tooth brushing disability but because of the ODD/DMDD and then you help him, because you're working on compliance and also you don't want him to get cavities.  

Honestly, I probably wouldn't worry about these scores at this point.  I'd continue doing what you're doing, and hope that interventions for the ODD/DMDD carry over to more independence.  

Socialization

These scores are low.  If you thought your kid was typically developing before this, I guess they'd be eye opening, but it sounds like you already knew that going in, based on the fact that you've shared in other posts that you're doing lots of solid intervention, and the fact that he's already diagnosed.  If the scores weren't quite low, I'd be telling you to go get a second opinion on the DMDD in particular.

So, my advice on this would be to keep on keeping on, but only because I know from other posts that you're already doing lots of great things.  

Motor skills

Again these are average scores.  They aren't in keeping with his IQ, but even with kids without disabilities, there's less correlation between IQ and motor skills than there is between IQ and communication.  It sounds like his gross motor is really solid, and that the ways he uses his fine motor skills are functionally a little weak.  Is that because he's got an underlying problem with fine motor and could use some OT?  Is it because he gets less practice due to time lost due to self regulation issues?  Is it because he got lots of 1's since he resists activities he can do?  I can't tell from just this score.  

I would treat this in the same way I'd treat the daily living skill problem.  If you're already getting intervention for fine motor, I might continue it, but you've got higher priorities.  This can wait.  Continue to offer him lots of opportunities to play in ways that build fine motor skills, which I know you already do, and offer opportunities to practice things like handwriting and self care to the extent that make sense given your curriculum and his availability for that work, but don't make this a top priority. 

Sorry, I'm really not good at keeping things brief.  

Edited by BaseballandHockey
  • Like 6

14 minutes ago, wendyroo said:

The goal was to appease insurance, so I know why it was done.

I'm more wondering what it means. Obviously, being in the first percentile for socialization is a huge problem, but is being in the 18th percentile for communication significantly impacting his day to day functioning? The BCBA listed communication as one of his strengths, but realistically, his receptive language is the equivalent of a child a third his age.

Is the anomaly of his written communication being by far his strongest subscore in that section, despite his fine motor being quite low, a function of his intelligence masking his communication weaknesses? Does the same thing perhaps account for his weirdly high "Community" score?

I guess I am just feeling a bit disheartened that the skills the BCBA tagged as his strengths are ones that he is "only" 3 to 4 years delayed in. 😞

No, that isn't what this means at all.  It means he uses his receptive language skills successfully and independently about as well as the bottom 20% of kids his age.  The Vineland isn't designed to distinguish between a kid who is given a direction and doesn't follow it because they don't have the vocabulary to do so accurately, and a kid who is given a direction and doesn't follow it because they have ODD and they are not in a place where following the direction is going to happen.  My guess is that this score is hugely impacted by the disabilities you already know about and are addressing as well as you possibly can.  

Keep in mind that the Vineland is all about asking "how well does this kid actually do at going about life with age appropriate independence".  You already know that Elliot is far less independent than other kids his age.  You have workers coming in to be with him 1:1 while you mange the other 3 by yourself.  That pretty much sums up his level of independence.  What this is telling you is that his independence in every domain is impacted by his disabilities, but that it's in the social emotional domain that he's most impacted. 

• Like 2

I looked back at my son’s IEP, and he has an ABAS-3 right now instead of a Vineland.  

This time around — the parent rating and teacher rating were about the same

I have done ones where we give different scores, and then we have to talk about if he is performing differently between home and school. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Vineland Scores only make sense in context

Vineland scores are generally interpreted by comparing them to other scores, so I'm going to interpret these in terms of what I think I already know based on your other posts, which is that Elliot is a child who performs at a much higher level academically than he did here, and that he has either received or is assumed that he would achieve an IQ score with three digits.  

Communication:

Although these scores are average, communication for many kids goes hand in hand with their intelligence, and the fact that his composite is right at the bottom of the average range, and his IQ is far from that tells me that his disability is impacting him this area. With an ASD diagnosis that isn't surprising at all.  If he has had a speech language in the past few years, I'd compare those scores to these to get a sense of the underlying issue.  I'd probably be thinking about 3 hypotheses.

1) These scores align with the results of his speech evaluation, or are better than the results of his speech evaluation then I'd probably assume that underlying speech/language issues are the cause, and follow the recommendations of the speech therapist.  

2) These scores are significantly below the results of his speech evaluation, indicating that he has skills that he isn't applying well in real life situations.  In that case, I'd consider whether interventions that are more specific for ASD like social thinking, or RDI, or floor time make sense.  

3) These scores are the results of lots of 1's (sometimes) on the Vineland, I would take that to mean that his performance is uneven due to issues with self regulation, and that the thing that's going to improve his performance is focusing my interventions on behavior and self regulation.  You've mentioned that you're already using ABA for self regulation, and I think that's a really solid choice.  

If you don't have a speech evaluation, I might get one after this, but given that these scores are still average, I wouldn't feel a rush.  So, waiting until the next triennial if you get school services, or until after covid, or until you've addressed more pressing issues would be fine.

Thank you so much!!  This all makes so much sense.

Yes, they attempted to measure his IQ as part of one of his evaluations, but he was unwilling/unable to complete the test. The psychologist estimates he is easily in the high average category and perhaps higher. It is hard to accurately gauge, and realistically it is fairly meaningless in the context of his actual level of functioning.

He was in speech therapy from 18 months to 6.5 years. However, pretty much all they worked on was articulation. From the first time he was measured as a toddler, up through when he graduated from speech therapy, he consistently measured high-average for receptive language, low-average for expressive language, and single digit percentile for articulation.

So, I guess, expressive language would fall into your first hypothesis. He has always been low-average, and this aligns with that. He has never received speech therapy for expressive language (as opposed to articulation) because it never rose to the level of a concern.

Receptive language, OTOH, would be more in line with hypothesis 2. He can intellectually understand anything that is said to him, but he struggles to apply that in real life and build meaning from what he hears.

I think this is a lot of what ABA is tackling under the headings of Social and Cognition. The Social metrics are things like: "Can your child recognize the intended message and respond appropriately to the body language and facial expressions of others?" No. Cognition is things like: "Can your child identify others' stated beliefs, how the person's perception of events led to the belief (sensory perspective taking), and whether the person's beliefs are true or false once reality of the situation is revealed?" No.

So along with emotional regulation, ABA is working a lot on social cues and thinking, perspective taking, conversational skills, sustained attention, problem solving, play skills, flexibility, compromise and negotiation, and executive function and independence.

Thank you again. Elliot's BCBA wasn't even planning on sending me the Vineland scores (after I spent approximately a million hours filling the whole thing out 🙃), and when I asked for them, she just forwarded them with no explanation. In some ways it certainly does just reiterate exactly what we have known all along. OTOH, I do want to mine any useful information from it that I can to help focus his plan on the weaknesses which will most improve his functioning and quality of life.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, wendyroo said:

Thank you so much!!  This all makes so much sense.

Yes, they attempted to measure his IQ as part of one of his evaluations, but he was unwilling/unable to complete the test. The psychologist estimates he is easily in the high average category and perhaps higher. It is hard to accurately gauge, and realistically it is fairly meaningless in the context of his actual level of functioning.

He was in speech therapy from 18 months to 6.5 years. However, pretty much all they worked on was articulation. From the first time he was measured as a toddler, up through when he graduated from speech therapy, he consistently measured high-average for receptive language, low-average for expressive language, and single digit percentile for articulation.

So, I guess, expressive language would fall into your first hypothesis. He has always been low-average, and this aligns with that. He has never received speech therapy for expressive language (as opposed to articulation) because it never rose to the level of a concern.

Receptive language, OTOH, would be more in line with hypothesis 2. He can intellectually understand anything that is said to him, but he struggles to apply that in real life and build meaning from what he hears.

I think this is a lot of what ABA is tackling under the headings of Social and Cognition. The Social metrics are things like: "Can your child recognize the intended message and respond appropriately to the body language and facial expressions of others?" No. Cognition is things like: "Can your child identify others' stated beliefs, how the person's perception of events led to the belief (sensory perspective taking), and whether the person's beliefs are true or false once reality of the situation is revealed?" No.

So along with emotional regulation, ABA is working a lot on social cues and thinking, perspective taking, conversational skills, sustained attention, problem solving, play skills, flexibility, compromise and negotiation, and executive function and independence.

Thank you again. Elliot's BCBA wasn't even planning on sending me the Vineland scores (after I spent approximately a million hours filling the whole thing out 🙃), and when I asked for them, she just forwarded them with no explanation. In some ways it certainly does just reiterate exactly what we have known all along. OTOH, I do want to mine any useful information from it that I can to help focus his plan on the weaknesses which will most improve his functioning and quality of life.

That sounds like exactly the right approach to the language thing.  It might be worth looking at speech testing again at some point, just because even if his expressive language is in the average range, if he's not thinking average thoughts because he's so bright, his difficulty expressing what he is thinking might be frustrating him and contributing to the disregulation.  However, it's not urgent, and if they weren't able to get an accurate IQ score, they might not be able to get an accurate assessment for speech either.  

Did you fill out the form, or was it a structured interview.? In either case, did you find your self saying "well sometimes, but other times he refuses" or "well sometimes, but most of the time I need to prompt and reinforce him"?  Because those things will get you 1's instead of 2's. which will depress the scores, but are more likely about that ODD and DMDD piece.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Did you fill out the form, or was it a structured interview.? In either case, did you find your self saying "well sometimes, but other times he refuses" or "well sometimes, but most of the time I need to prompt and reinforce him"?  Because those things will get you 1's instead of 2's. which will depress the scores, but are more likely about that ODD and DMDD piece.  

My husband and I filled out the form.

He did get some 1's, though I don't know if I would call it a lot. He got 13 1's in the communication section out of 126 questions.

Most of those 1's, I think were closer to .5's than 1.5's. The very first item, "Looks at you when he hears your voice.", we considered giving a 0, but eventually settled on 1, because he does occasionally look if he thinks there might be something in it for him.

Or, "Tells about a one-time event in detail." That one was a very sketchy 1. If someone asks, he will tell about an event, and he might include a couple simple details, but he might say something like, "I had a birthday party. Spencer touched my chair.", except the chair touching didn't even happen at the party. He also leaves out HUGE significant details. He might tell his Dad that we went for a walk around the block and add details about how annoyed he was by his shoe the whole time, and leave out that we saw a man walking 5 ducks on leashes.

I don't know. We have done A LOT of evaluations for Elliot (and his two non-neurotypical brothers), and we try our absolute best to answer according to the stated criteria. When DH and I have each filled out evaluations separately, our results are strikingly similar. And yet, still I often wonder if either we are overthinking the questions or if the evaluations are asking questions that are hard to quantify with Elliot. Like, "Tells others what he is thinking and feeling instead of assuming that they know." The day we filled out the evaluation, Elliot had spent 2 hours screaming and perseverating, "I won't wipe the table. I'll NEVER wipe the table. If you try to make me I'll kill you. DO YOU HEAR ME???" Is that telling us what he is thinking and feeling? We decided that didn't count...but that is certainly the closest he ever comes.

Given what has been said about expressive language, I highly recommend getting some intervention for it. It was dramatically helpful for my 2e son with ASD and ADHD, though he doesn't have the range of things your son is dealing with, and he's older. I would not lose sight of it even if it's not a priority right now. (I'd find out if Mindwings Concepts would be helpful.)

So, this is for insurance. Have you looked into services via your county's board of DD or whatever the equivalent is for your state? Multiple diagnoses will usually qualify a child, especially if they have low areas on the Vineland. IQ is secondary to adaptive functioning and developmental disabilities even though it's typical for people to qualify because they have ID. They might have services and funding to offer that would be useful. You might even qualify for an emergency waiver or something like it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Given what has been said about expressive language, I highly recommend getting some intervention for it. It was dramatically helpful for my 2e son with ASD and ADHD, though he doesn't have the range of things your son is dealing with, and he's older. I would not lose sight of it even if it's not a priority right now. (I'd find out if Mindwings Concepts would be helpful.)

So, this is for insurance. Have you looked into services via your county's board of DD or whatever the equivalent is for your state? Multiple diagnoses will usually qualify a child, especially if they have low areas on the Vineland. IQ is secondary to adaptive functioning and developmental disabilities even though it's typical for people to qualify because they have ID. They might have services and funding to offer that would be useful. You might even qualify for an emergency waiver or something like it.

He qualifies for a Medicaid Severe Emotional Disturbance waiver...though, this is his second year with the waiver and we have been told that it is tough to qualify for a third year.

Our county will not even evaluate unless a child qualifies for Medicaid, and if they do qualify through a waiver, the county is required to institute wraparound support (this is nothing but a naggy Monday morning quarterback trying to tell everyone how to do their jobs). The county also provides underqualified behavioral therapy (at least vastly underqualified for Elliot's needs) and recreational therapy which is pretty much just good for half an hour of semi-respite a week (though it is currently happening virtually which is way more trouble than it is worth).

ABA is billed first to our primary insurance which picks up a chunk of it, and then to Medicaid which covers the rest. We have already decided that if he loses Medicaid in 6 more months that we will pony up to continue to pay for ABA even though it will be a huge hit to our budget.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, wendyroo said:

My husband and I filled out the form.

He did get some 1's, though I don't know if I would call it a lot. He got 13 1's in the communication section out of 126 questions.

Most of those 1's, I think were closer to .5's than 1.5's. The very first item, "Looks at you when he hears your voice.", we considered giving a 0, but eventually settled on 1, because he does occasionally look if he thinks there might be something in it for him.

Or, "Tells about a one-time event in detail." That one was a very sketchy 1. If someone asks, he will tell about an event, and he might include a couple simple details, but he might say something like, "I had a birthday party. Spencer touched my chair.", except the chair touching didn't even happen at the party. He also leaves out HUGE significant details. He might tell his Dad that we went for a walk around the block and add details about how annoyed he was by his shoe the whole time, and leave out that we saw a man walking 5 ducks on leashes.

I don't know. We have done A LOT of evaluations for Elliot (and his two non-neurotypical brothers), and we try our absolute best to answer according to the stated criteria. When DH and I have each filled out evaluations separately, our results are strikingly similar. And yet, still I often wonder if either we are overthinking the questions or if the evaluations are asking questions that are hard to quantify with Elliot. Like, "Tells others what he is thinking and feeling instead of assuming that they know." The day we filled out the evaluation, Elliot had spent 2 hours screaming and perseverating, "I won't wipe the table. I'll NEVER wipe the table. If you try to make me I'll kill you. DO YOU HEAR ME???" Is that telling us what he is thinking and feeling? We decided that didn't count...but that is certainly the closest he ever comes.

I think that's a lot of 1's especially if he didn't have a lot of 2's.  I'm a big believer in the Ross Greene idea of "Kids do well if they can", and I think that if there's not something in the way of doing things consistently, like there is for Elliot, kids usually show us their best, which means that once they can do something they do it pretty consistently.  To have a number of 1's that is a signifiant percentage of the number of 2's is a sign that something is interfering with his consistency.  Since inconsistency is a hallmark of ADHD, anxiety, and mental health issues, that isn't at all surprising, but it's another sign that you're probably more likely to see improvement in things like the table wiping episode by tackling it as a self regulation issue, than by tackling it as a receptive language issue.  After all, it seems perfectly clear that he did understand the direction you gave.  

On the other hand, I think that the one-time event issue does sound like it could be expressive language, at least partially.  And if he's having that much trouble getting his thoughts out in an organized manner when he isn't particularly disregulated, it's probably really hard when he is, leading to the perseveration. At some point, when covid is over, it might be worth exploring that.  

• Like 3

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0205458378/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1&fpw=alm  

https://www.northernspeech.com/echolalia-autism/natural-language-acquisition-in-autism-echolalia-to-self-generated-language-treatment-level-2/  I did *not* buy this two part course, and I did not buy the book. I watched the free little video here, and that made things click on why my ds *seemed* to have so much language but was failing expressive language tests.

-word level--vocabulary, concepts, syntax

-parts of words--morphology

-bits of words--spelling, phonemes

-sounds--solfege, notes, pitch matching, prosody

feature/function/class

=attribute/function/category

=adjectives/verbs/nouns

Edited by PeterPan

http://www.e4thai.com/e4e/images/pdf2/100_vocabulary_primary.pdf  This is oop, and it's from Linguisystems, which is now owned by ProEdInc. It's what I used as the spine for my ds' language intervention at that age.

https://www.proedinc.com/Products/31159/sparc-for-attributes.aspx  Here's one of the books in the SPARC series. They used to have samples and don't now it seems, sigh. Let's just say it's AWESOME. They start at the word level, build to phrases and sentences, and then get them using the targets in narratives.

Edited by PeterPan

Oh this is interesting. I think our Vineland was an earlier version. You're being given V scale scores, and the mean is 15, SD=3. That's really interesting, since many of your scores are within one SD.

I think when we did ds' at that age he was coming in around 2:5 for language. And he failed the SPELT and TNL after that. If your ds has had the CELF, again it has issues with underidentifying language issues in kids with higher IQs. It also provides models and uses multiple choice. The SPELT does not, so it was a better tool to show my ds' language issues.

Edited by PeterPan