Jump to content

Menu

The Vaccine Thread


JennyD

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

I’m impressed people are managing to know no one who had serious COVID. I almost wonder if this is due to people’s decisions not to talk about it. I mean, we’re in the protected class who could huddle at home and distance, and we STILL know enough scary stories to worry.

I think it is deciding to not talk about it. We know someone whose family was pretty scared to tell people several family members had it because they were getting some backlash. It hit their family through a caregiver that picked it up in the community. 

We knew more scary stories than not at the beginning, and four older family members died (three were very active). A couple we're related to got quite sick in Florida--they wore masks and basically did only medical appointments and had groceries dumped into their trunk. That's it. They are pretty sure one of them picked it up at the doctor's office. 

One story makes me furious if I think about it too hard. A friend got it and didn't have to go to the ER, but she had it early on before people monitored oxygen sats and such--that advice hadn't gone around here much. Anyway, she did get to a point where she felt like she had to pray to be able to breathe. You'd think that would make her want to tell people to be careful. Nope. She gave "glory to God" for giving her each and every breath and making her feel safe, and he could do that for everyone. This is someone that wears seat belts, obeys traffic laws, and teaches her kids to cross the street properly, so I would assume she was still hypoxic except that she's been consistently all about Freedom ever since.

I think I stated this months ago, but it was like I watched a cloud fall over people I thought I knew well (and did know for years), including types who were likely to give you the shirt off their back. It was like in Wrinkle in Time (book) where people's eyes did that weird thing when they were starting to listen to the disembodied brain's ideas. They start parroting things, and they became impervious to truth. It was utterly creepy to watch. Many people used the same words for it all, and a lot of it turned out to be related to Q stuff and influencers who spout Q stuff. Some people knew that, and some didn't. 

I do know ONE person at church that stated on social media that she hates it when people downplay the pandemic because it's changed her life permanently. I don't know what happened though. 

4 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

I guess there's always the possibility that someone knows mostly young people, and young people who aren't necessarily open about long-term symptoms. That would do it. 

A family at a friend's church lost a 20ish young man because his parents wouldn't take him to the ER. They were sorry afterwards, but they were really convinced it was a hoax. That particular church has been really good about following guidelines and promoting the vaccine though they have a few hold outs. I think they started precautions before this young man died, so I am not sure where that family got their views.

4 hours ago, JennyD said:

Same.  Back in March 2020 my MIL sent me some thing from an epidemiologist who said "you will know people who die from this," and I thought it was a ridiculous exaggeration.  Nope.  I think of that email often.

I was sick inside--we thought it would be my DH or our family since he's a frontline worker. Thank God our state acted proactively early to shut down and to secure PPE because our area has not taken it seriously. I never thought the US would go for lockdowns, so I didn't hold out much hope for anything other misery to ensue. (And it has, but it could've been so much worse without lockdowns, I think.)

I really was picturing field tents all over the state (but lockdowns really did prevent that). DH was being surveyed ahead of time to see how far outside his scope of practice he was willing to go. So not cool. One of his co-workers was already down with it, and as of November, she's not recovered (young and healthy previously). He had been working a lot of shifts with her until about two weeks before it was declared a pandemic. He could've been exposed to the same patient. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Corporate America to workers: Get vaccinated or get out (msn.com)

"You must be vaccinated if you want to come to work," he tells me. "There are some organizations that are trying one more step before that. They're saying, if you choose not to be vaccinated, then you will have to be tested several times during the week on your own dime. And you will have to wear a mask in the workplace and not any mask, but that N95 surgical mask. I mean, we are going to, at the end of the day, make this a little uncomfortable for you because you're making it uncomfortable and the workplace less comfortable for your colleagues."

That's the case for MGM Grand. Unvaccinated workers must regularly test for the virus, and if found positive, they will quarantine -- without pay.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

And you will have to wear a mask in the workplace and not any mask, but that N95 surgical mask.

This would make a huge difference. I would feel much better going in businesses, and even taking my unvaccinated kids, if people were all wearing really good, well fitted masks. I know people can't all get fit tested, but testing on real people shows a good mask with a good fit doing a really good job.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/10/2021 at 11:18 PM, Not_a_Number said:

Honestly, I have a bit of an "eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow you may die" feeling about this summer. It feels like FOR NOW, things are safe near where I am, and I'm going to darn well enjoy it. But my ability to predict what happens next (both with and without vaccines) is really low 😕 . 

Oooh, look, I found a wise quote of mine from a month ago. Anyone ever feel like they'd rather NOT be prescient?? I hate getting back on this hamster wheel. 

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Oooh, look, I found a wise quote of mine from a month ago. Anyone ever feel like they'd rather NOT be prescient?? I hate getting back on this hamster wheel. 

Yep.  I have been right a lot during this.  I want to not be right anymore.  But I wasn't right on the timing of this.  I really thought we would have until October before this hit.  And I didn't see how bad this was going to be for the vaccinated. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Yep.  I have been right a lot during this.  I want to not be right anymore.  But I wasn't right on the timing of this.  I really thought we would have until October before this hit.  And I didn't see how bad this was going to be for the vaccinated. 

I also thought we had until October. And I'm also incredibly sick of being right. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The CDC documents show that since January, people who got infected after vaccination make up an increasing portion of hospitalisations and in-hospital deaths among Covid-19 patients, the Associated Press reports.

Van Kerkhove added that Covid-19 variants are not targeting children in the UK.

Coronavirus live news: WHO says Delta variant not more deadly as CDC warns over transmissibility | World news | The Guardian

 

 

Broadway theatres to require Covid-19 vaccinations and masks

Covid-19 vaccinations and masks will be required for all Broadway audience members when theaters reopen in the coming weeks, New York theatre operators announced today.

 

Audience members will have to wear face coverings and show proof they are fully vaccinated when they enter the theatres, the Broadway League said.

There will be exceptions to the vaccine rule for children under 12, who are not yet eligible for any of the approved shots, and for people with a medical condition or religious belief that prevents vaccination, the theatre operators said. Those individuals will need to show proof of a negative Covid-19 test, the Associated Press reports.

Vaccinations will also be required for all performers, crew members and theatre employees, the league said. Bruce Springsteen’s one-man show is the only performance currently running on Broadway.

Meanwhile, Walmart has made it mandatory for its retail workers in US counties with substantial or high transmission of coronavirus to wear masks in its stores, clubs and distribution centres, according to a memo reported by Reuters.

The memo also showed retail workers would receive an incentive of $150, double the amount it had been paying, to get inoculated, with those already paid $75 set to receive the rest next month.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, KSera said:

I'm still stuck on the fact that even if people don't know someone personally who did, can't they look at the numbers in the US and across the world, and come to the conclusion that it clearly is a very big deal for a very large number of people, and that it just appears they have been lucky so far to not know someone? Why does it have to be someone they know personally?

Because they are brainwashed to think all those people actually died from something else or at least some people. They are told that really the people died of a stroke or heart attack but just tested positive for Covid so that was put on their death certificate.

When DH's grandma died there was a lot of talk of "making sure" they didn't put Covid on the death certificate. It wasn't put on there because that isn't what she died from but they thought there would be an attempt to. 🙄

If everyone you know that has it says it feels like a cold it can be confusing and then you are fed all these other lies. I don't think people are evil and selfish; I think most are just confused and frightened by gov't actions.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, historically accurate said:

I work in a public library, so technically I'm a city employee. We were told today that the city will give us a $50 bonus for showing them our vaccination card. 

Good.  It bugs me that the ones I have seen are not backtracking for people.  So the people who went and got it right away don't get anything.  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Good.  It bugs me that the ones I have seen are not backtracking for people.  So the people who went and got it right away don't get anything.  

Right, so then people are like no, I'm going to wait until they offer more...ugh.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Good.  It bugs me that the ones I have seen are not backtracking for people.  So the people who went and got it right away don't get anything.  

My state gave $100 to public employees fully vaccinated before the end of the month, so it actually favored those who vaccinated early.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Plum said:

It makes sense to me. It seems the majority of people are deciding for themselves whether or not to vaccinate, so I’m guessing it’s no different when deciding for their kids. Children certainly grow, mature, and develop at different rates, so an age cutoff is somewhat arbitrary. By 12 some kids are completely done with puberty and have reached their full adult height and weight and others haven’t even started puberty. So if my child was right on the border of not qualifying by age and was heading back to school, especially in a low vaccine state, I would probably consider it. Although I would likely defer to the recommendation of the healthcare professionals and scientists in the family.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Someone floated the idea here of a million dollar lottery but anyone vaccinated by a certain date gets automatic entry.  

We did it in my state. After the announcement, vaccine rates continued to decline. There were also smaller prizes by county and some large college scholarships.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Someone floated the idea here of a million dollar lottery but anyone vaccinated by a certain date gets automatic entry.  

Our state did that. They've just handed out the first two checks, $1m for an adult,  and a $300k college scholarship for a teen. Four more of each of these awards is coming up.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Frances said:

It makes sense to me. It seems the majority of people are deciding for themselves whether or not to vaccinate, so I’m guessing it’s no different when deciding for their kids. Children certainly grow, mature, and develop at different rates, so an age cutoff is somewhat arbitrary. By 12 some kids are completely done with puberty and have reached their full adult height and weight and others haven’t even started puberty. So if my child was right on the border of not qualifying by age and was heading back to school, especially in a low vaccine state, I would probably consider it. Although I would likely defer to the recommendation of the healthcare professionals and scientists in the family.

We've had someone think about this on this forum, lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JanOH said:

My dd turns 12 in September.  She told me today that she wants to get the vaccine on her birthday because it would be the best birthday gift she could get. 🙂

My cousin turned 12 on Sunday and went to get his shot for his birthday.  My dd10 has been asking me to lie and say she is 12 so that she can be vaccinated.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, vonfirmath said:

I personally know more people sick with Covid right now than I ever did before.  Half of them were vaccinated.  None are very ill (Flu like. Not hospital-worried) for now.

Well, if about 3% are hospitalized then you should expect to know 97 healthy ones for every three hospitalized so this isn't exactly surprising. 

 

ETA  I don't really have any idea of the true percentage but that was what my state reported last winter when more people cared enough to test. Now they say 8% of cases are hospitalized but I doubt that is true. It is just that fewer of the mild cases are bothering to test so it looks like a higher percentage are having more severe cases.

Edited by frogger
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/30/2021 at 11:01 PM, vonfirmath said:

I personally know more people sick with Covid right now than I ever did before.  Half of them were vaccinated.  None are very ill (Flu like. Not hospital-worried) for now.

Same for me. But one was serious enough to require 2 trips to ER. And another is in ICU right now. She just turned 22. No underlying health conditions but overweight. So far I don't know of any one who has had a breakthrough case. I'm fairly certain none of these people had the vaccine.

Oh wait I lied--My dd's boss has it and is fully vaccinated with Pfizer, so dd is in quarantine-- again.

Edited by popmom
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My brother just tested positive today. His whole family had it in December/ January, so 2nd round. From what I understand, he thought his natural immunity would keep him from getting it again this soon, so he didn't get the vax. 

We were supposed to hang with them at an outdoor pool this afternoon,, but we didn't, obviously.

  • Sad 14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have we talked about this yet? (I'm back from our big summer trip, so apparently my break from obsessing is over!) https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/22/covid-boosters-cdc-group-weighs-third-shot-for-immunocompromised-people.html

Quote
  • Immunosuppressed people represent 44% of hospitalized Covid breakthrough cases even though they make up about 2.7% of the U.S. adult population, according to the agency.

This seems sort of huge to me (although I'm curious what percentage of hospitalized cases in the UNVACCINATED are immunosuppressed people); it indicates that we really need to get on it with boosters or other protocols for people who don't mount a strong immune response to the vaccine...and it also says that the hospitalization rate for vaccinated people who AREN'T immunosuppressed is even lower than straight up hospitalization numbers tell us (maybe that's all obvious. But I've wondered for awhile now to what extent breakthrough infections, particularly serious ones, are about people never having developed antibodies. I.e. they are in some sense not actually vaccinated. That is all my very not-an-immunologist take on it, anyway, which certainly may be deeply flawed.)

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RootAnn said:

My brother just tested positive today. His whole family had it in December/ January, so 2nd round. From what I understand, he thought his natural immunity would keep him from getting it again this soon, so he didn't get the vax. 

We were supposed to hang with them at an outdoor pool this afternoon,, but we didn't, obviously.

I believe immunity (from having Covid) is now showing to only last 6-8 months, with a sharp drop off occurring during or right after that time. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RootAnn said:

My brother just tested positive today. His whole family had it in December/ January, so 2nd round. From what I understand, he thought his natural immunity would keep him from getting it again this soon, so he didn't get the vax. 

We were supposed to hang with them at an outdoor pool this afternoon,, but we didn't, obviously.

I know two different families who had it twice less than 4 months apart.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/29/2021 at 4:06 PM, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

A lot of people don’t watch the news or read newspapers or news articles online. They are not scientifically literate and don’t pay a lot of attention to nationwide statistics.  This is a large part of the population that I work with through the county health department. We are talking about a county where the median individual income is $28,000 a year and only 25% have a bachelor’s degree or higher according the US Census bureau.  They know their neighbors, coworkers and maybe church members.   There’s many people who are minorities or of ethnicities that generally do not trust the government and are suspicious of some white woman encouraging them to get vaccinated.

Getting people vaccinated is an uphill battle but we’re almost at 50 percent of eligible adults. 

And a lot of people, in other parts of the world, don’t have the luxury of working from home nor policing confusing mask mandates.

I advised my sister who had Covid in January to wait to get the vaccine. She doesn’t need it for travel (indeed i went through 4 countries and my vaccination card was looked at exactly zero times). She passed Covid once, and is prepared to pass it again. I now regret getting my vaccine as early as I did, especially with this booster talk.

 

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

I now regret getting my vaccine as early as I did, especially with this booster talk.

If it makes you feel better about that, and I hope it does, delta rates are so high right now that this is a very good time indeed to be fully vaccinated. It means that if you do catch it, chances are overwhelmingly high that you will be just fine. The same wouldn't be true if you hadn't gotten vaccinated yet and got sick during this wave.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, KSera said:

If it makes you feel better about that, and I hope it does, delta rates are so high right now that this is a very good time indeed to be fully vaccinated. It means that if you do catch it, chances are overwhelmingly high that you will be just fine. The same wouldn't be true if you hadn't gotten vaccinated yet and got sick during this wave.

Chances were overwhelmingly high that I would have been fine before, before being vaccinated. Just going by everyone I’m related to that has passed it just fine (parents, sister, etc).What I’m reading is that Delta symptoms are very mild. I suppose I might get it because of all the airports and planes and places I’ve been on it will be horrid, but that’s fine 🤷‍♀️

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Happy2BaMom said:

I believe immunity (from having Covid) is now showing to only last 6-8 months, with a sharp drop off occurring during or right after that time. 

Another Covid cautious acquaintance & I talked about this late last fall & decided 3-6 months was probably the interval for most based on anecdotes we'd read. I had hoped the mRNA vaccines would last a year, but they are looking like 4-8 months right now (based on Delta). Sigh

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Another Covid cautious acquaintance & I talked about this late last fall & decided 3-6 months was probably the interval for most based on anecdotes we'd read. I had hoped the mRNA vaccines would last a year, but they are looking like 4-8 months right now (based on Delta). Sigh

UGH.  I am coming up on 4 months after my 2nd shot.  This is fine, I can go get another shot.  I am fine with that.   If I have to do it 3 times a year so be it.  But I want to know now what to do now!  Booster?  Just go get another round of it?    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

And a lot of people, in other parts of the world, don’t have the luxury of working from home nor policing confusing mask mandates.

I advised my sister who had Covid in January to wait to get the vaccine. She doesn’t need it for travel (indeed i went through 4 countries and my vaccination card was looked at exactly zero times). She passed Covid once, and is prepared to pass it again. I now regret getting my vaccine as early as I did, especially with this booster talk.

Lots of people in lots of parts of the world don't have the luxury of leading the privileged lives we do, it's true. It doesn't mean I want to join them. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Not_a_Number said:

Lots of people in lots of parts of the world don't have the luxury of leading the privileged lives we do, it's true. It doesn't mean I want to join them. 

I was responding to the comment of “why don’t they get it! Sky continues to fall without ceasing!”.  This place is a bit bizarre as an echochamber. Someone should invite an anthropologist in. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, madteaparty said:

I was responding to the comment of “why don’t they get it! Sky continues to fall without ceasing!”.  This place is a bit bizarre as an echochamber. Someone should invite an anthropologist in. 

Is the thing making us an echo chamber the fact that people are relatively sure they don't want to get COVID and that they think avoiding it is rational? 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

I was responding to the comment of “why don’t they get it! Sky continues to fall without ceasing!”.  This place is a bit bizarre as an echochamber. Someone should invite an anthropologist in. 

I agree.  It’s just not as simple as “people should just get it” or “they just believe in conspiracy theories.”  One of my siblings is as far left as they come and she is in no way getting the vaccine because she doesn’t believe in getting vaccines and didn’t before Covid or conspiracy theories or Trump. And she’s well educated and used to work for public health.  Another sibling is far more to the right and won’t get vaccinated. She was on the edge until the data just came out, and isn’t worried about getting seriously sick or dying.  Why get a vaccine that has crappy side effects if you can still get sick and infect people. She won’t get it now, I’m sure.

And there are many, many people, many I personally know, who just don’t spent a lot of time thinking about Covid.  This board is not a good cross sectional representation of the population.  The vast majority of people I come into contact with IRL just do not spend much time thinking about Covid or vaccine efficiency or precautions at all.  There is a wide swath of people who literally, seriously, do not care if they catch Covid, they know the statistics of a mild illness are in their favor, and a lot who just wanted to get it over with.  With the data on reinfections and breakthrough illness, I suspect that everyone just assumes they’ll get it at some point, probably more than once, and why bother with the precautions now.

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

I was responding to the comment of “why don’t they get it! Sky continues to fall without ceasing!”.  This place is a bit bizarre as an echochamber. Someone should invite an anthropologist in. 

I'm always particularly fascinated by the claims that this is an echo chamber. Maybe you're not reading the non-Covid threads on chat?! I have all kinds of big disagreements from people that I agree with on Covid 😬. On Covid, I'm all about not getting it, so I'm following the science and logic very closely, and that ends up meaning I'm largely aligned with virus scientists and other people who are taking the same approach.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I agree.  It’s just not as simple as “people should just get it” or “they just believe in conspiracy theories.”  One of my siblings is as far left as they come and she is in no way getting the vaccine because she doesn’t believe in getting vaccines and didn’t before Covid or conspiracy theories or Trump. And she’s well educated and used to work for public health.  Another sibling is far more to the right and won’t get vaccinated. She was on the edge until the data just came out, and isn’t worried about getting seriously sick or dying.  Why get a vaccine that has crappy side effects if you can still get sick and infect people. She won’t get it now, I’m sure.

And there are many, many people, many I personally know, who just don’t spent a lot of time thinking about Covid.  This board is not a good cross sectional representation of the population.  The vast majority of people I come into contact with IRL just do not spend much time thinking about Covid or vaccine efficiency or precautions at all.

Well, yes, we all have our cross-sections of the populations that we talk to. 

Pretty much everyone I talk to regularly cares about COVID; almost all of them are vaccinated. 

There are obviously class and education and political divides going on here. But it's not like this board doesn't consist of "real people" or isn't representative of plenty of people I happen to know in real life. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

Why get a vaccine that has crappy side effects if you can still get sick and infect people.

It's so interesting to me that not dying (or even "just" getting hospitalized) isn't a bigger motivator for some people. I'm all about not dying if I don't have to.

 

2 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

The vast majority of people I come into contact with IRL just do not spend much time thinking about Covid or vaccine efficiency or precautions at all.

That's a pretty clear issue when we look at how this country has handled Covid. Not surprising in the least.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, KSera said:

It's so interesting to me that not dying (or even "just" getting hospitalized) isn't a bigger motivator for some people. I'm all about not dying if I don't have to.

 

That's a pretty clear issue when we look at how this country has handled Covid. Not surprising in the least.

The vast majority of Covid cases don't end in death. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

Then why is it hard to understand that people are not worried about it?

Because it's innumerate, that's why. People look at these "small" percentages and don't really reckon with what they mean.

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Look, if I had a 1% chance of dying if I drove a car this whole year, I wouldn't get in the darn car!! 1% is NOT a small number, compared to basically every other risk. 

Right.  I mean, it's very clear that the vast majority of the population has never played much D&D.  Role players know that 2% of things, when they are things that happen pretty often, happens a lot of times.  

I don't know any role players who aren't freaked out about the 1-2% chance of death or the higher % of hospitalization.

  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...