Menu

The Vaccine Thread

JennyD

4 minutes ago, frogger said:

Part of it was that people in the tiers that were open were letting appointments go unfulfilled so even though not everyone who is in previous tiers has been vaccinated they have all had a chance to sign up. If you want to move quick, let people who are ready and willing get'er done is the thought process. 

That seems to be what is happening here. And honestly, they are not checking closely - at this point having a few "sneak" through is better than holding up the line to investigate and keeping others from getting it efficiently. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Did you know that Johnson and Johnson is undertaking a two-shot trial too for the same vaccine?  I could imagine it being used as a two-shot in the end to increase effectiveness.  This is an announcement of the trial, but it's actually happening right now. The gap between shots is apparently two months.

https://www.jnj.com/johnson-johnson-initiates-second-global-phase-3-clinical-trial-of-its-janssen-covid-19-vaccine-candidate

If i recall correctly they started this trial a while back, right around the time when it became apparently just how astoundingly effective the two-dose mRNA vaccines were likely to be.  Very smart move on their part.  

• Like 5

So, there are two FEMA sites near me now. One is the main one, on a community college campus. It is so efficient it is almost scary, lol. They have no real wait, maybe a few minutes, as of the last few days. Only crunch time is early morning, because people are expecting it to be a problm, show up and line up hours before it opens, so there is a backlog to deal with. But after that clears out there seems to be no wait. A few days they have run out by mid afternoon, but other days they had fewer show up than expected.

The other is a pop up site at a local park, smallr, and I'm hearing it is hours of waiting and some then still getting turned away. You'd think they'd at least cut the line off so that people don't wait who won't be able to get a shot, but no. So both FEMA, but run very differently. 

• Like 5

When I got my shot through the tribal health consortium there was no line anywhere. I moved from station to station smoothly though they had x's on the floor just in case. The only spot I was really in a room with others (besides staff) was getting the shot and that had dividers and the wait room to see if you had a reaction. Chairs were spaced apart and cleaned when you got up to leave. Your name was called at 15 minutes where you were asked how you were feeling and if you already scheduled your next shot. You left by a different route so you didn't really pass people.

It really was a thing of beauty. 

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

My dd works at a grocery store and people have actually shared their positive test results as she's bagging their groceries, as in, "I tested positive 3 days ago."

More than once.

I simultaneously can and can't believe this. Wow.

Does she have any legal recourse? 

17 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I simultaneously can and can't believe this. Wow.

Does she have any legal recourse? 

What can really be done? They're wearing masks, the price of admission to shop at a store.

People are gonna people. I'm sure this is not unique to her store. 

I agree with Roadrunner. Grocery store workers are very at-risk.

Edited by AbcdeDooDah
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

My son had a client come in with her pet and admitted to recently testing positive. They immediately ushered her out, but yeah...people are...ugh. 

Vets here still aren't letting people in, except for euthanasia. Otherwise it's all curbside. I did the dance this morning with one of my dogs. I haven't stepped foot inside a vet clinic in over a year.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

My dd works at a grocery store and people have actually shared their positive test results as she's bagging their groceries, as in, "I tested positive 3 days ago."

More than once.

My nephew works at a grocery store and there is a covid test center in their parking lot, he was telling us he would see people go in for a covid test, then walk into the store right after they are finished. 

• Sad 4

10 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Did you know that Johnson and Johnson is undertaking a two-shot trial too for the same vaccine?  I could imagine it being used as a two-shot in the end to increase effectiveness.  This is an announcement of the trial, but it's actually happening right now. The gap between shots is apparently two months.

https://www.jnj.com/johnson-johnson-initiates-second-global-phase-3-clinical-trial-of-its-janssen-covid-19-vaccine-candidate

They actually initiated that trial back in November and said that the 1 and 2 dose trials would "run in parallel." I suspect they already know that 2 doses is more effective, but also know that a "1 shot" vaccine is a big selling point. I will not be surprised if the data from the 2-dose trial gets released this summer, after all the first doses have been distributed, and then they'll announce that everyone who got the "1 dose" vaccine should come back for a 2nd shot. I just wish they'd release their data on mild illnesses, like every other manufacturer, so we'd know what the real efficacy is. 

• Like 12

4 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

Vets here still aren't letting people in, except for euthanasia. Otherwise it's all curbside. I did the dance this morning with one of my dogs. I haven't stepped foot inside a vet clinic in over a year.

One vet never shut their office down. My local vet is open for inside stuff now after doing curbside (even for euthanasia) for almost a year. I did a drop off today & had to go in to fill out paperwork. No one was wearing masks (except me).

3 hours ago, Marie.Sd said:

My nephew works at a grocery store and there is a covid test center in their parking lot, he was telling us he would see people go in for a covid test, then walk into the store right after they are finished. 

I don't see what's wrong with this necessarily. I know people who routinely get tested even with no symptoms. I mean, is it a rapid testing location? If so & they are told they are infected & then pop into the grocery store for some groceries before going into quarantine, then I'm dismayed but not shocked (because I know someone who got all her errands run before settling into quarantine).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

I don't see what's wrong with this necessarily. I know people who routinely get tested even with no symptoms. I mean, is it a rapid testing location? If so & they are told they are infected & then pop into the grocery store for some groceries before going into quarantine, then I'm dismayed but not shocked (because I know someone who got all her errands run before settling into quarantine).

It is a rapid test location and he did say that he has had several people tell him at the checkout that they had a positive test result but were asymptomatic, so it fine for them to be out.

• Sad 10

26 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

The EU  and UK have gone ahead based on the data on blood clots in the vaccinated population. 

BBC News - Oxford-AstraZeneca: EU regulator says 'no indication' vaccine linked to blood clots
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56357760

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 3

Biden is moving the timeline up again!

Biden directs states to make all adults eligible for vaccine by May 1 (msn.com)

President Biden on Thursday directed states to ensure that all adults are eligible for the coronavirus vaccine by May 1, and he declared a goal of allowing small celebrations on July 4, setting up significant landmarks in the effort to return to normalcy after the devastating pandemic.

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 8

54 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Biden is moving the timeline up again!

Biden directs states to make all adults eligible for vaccine by May 1 (msn.com)

President Biden on Thursday directed states to ensure that all adults are eligible for the coronavirus vaccine by May 1, and he declared a goal of allowing small celebrations on July 4, setting up significant landmarks in the effort to return to normalcy after the devastating pandemic.

I am really hoping that this will let the small, planned homeschool graduation happen in mid-June--and college classes go back in person in August

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

I am really hoping that this will let the small, planned homeschool graduation happen in mid-June--and college classes go back in person in August

Fauci is saying some good things right now.  

03/10/21: Press Briefing by White House COVID-19 Response Team and Public Health Officials - YouTube

Fauci said he is still estimating herd immunity is around 70-85%, he said he currently sees us hitting that by early fall.  He also said all restrictions and or guidance will not be so strict and might not needed until we hit herd immunity.  In other words things could be loosened before that point based on the state of cases, hospitalizations, and or deaths.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

My health care provider called me today and said my turn has come to get the vaccine and I'd be able to get my first shot of Moderna on Monday.

I literally broke into tears of joy. 

Bill

I teared up getting my shot - then told the woman that gave it to me she was an angel.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://time.com/5946225/novavax-covid-19-phase-3-results/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_term=health_covid-19&linkId=113190199

Cross posted to the WuhAn thread - good news on the novovax vaccine (although not so great with the South African variant)

That is extremely good news! Efficacy is equal to Pfizer & Moderna against even mild illness and it can be stored at normal refrigerated temperatures. It's also supposed to be easier to manufacture, and since it doesn't involve replication within the body, like the viral vector and mRNA vaccines, maybe some of the folks who worry about vaccines "getting into your DNA" will be more accepting of this one (assuming the fact that it's incubated in moth cells doesn't freak them out, lol). 

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

That is extremely good news! Efficacy is equal to Pfizer & Moderna against even mild illness and it can be stored at normal refrigerated temperatures. It's also supposed to be easier to manufacture, and since it doesn't involve replication within the body, like the viral vector and mRNA vaccines, maybe some of the folks who worry about vaccines "getting into your DNA" will be more accepting of this one (assuming the fact that it's incubated in moth cells doesn't freak them out, lol). 

"In the case of COVID-19, that entails inserting the gene for a SARS-CoV-2 protein into an insect virus, and then infecting cells from an armyworm, the larval stage of a type of moth that infects cabbages, with this modified virus; those cells then act like a living copying machine, pumping out copies of the SARS-CoV-2 protein. That protein is then suspended in a molecular bubble, and injected into the body, where human immune cells recognize it as foreign and mount defenses against it."

😂 You're asking a lot there aren't you?

Edited by melmichigan
  • Haha 2

I am very hopeful that we will have a semi normal summer. The vaccine availability is going to be dramatically increasing over the next couple of months. Plus Novavax announced great results to day as well. I am personally trying to persuade anybody on the fence to go get vaccinated. I am afraid the reluctant population will cause a setback. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, melmichigan said:

"In the case of COVID-19, that entails inserting the gene for a SARS-CoV-2 protein into an insect virus, and then infecting cells from an armyworm, the larval stage of a type of moth that infects cabbages, with this modified virus; those cells then act like a living copying machine, pumping out copies of the SARS-CoV-2 protein. That protein is then suspended in a molecular bubble, and injected into the body, where human immune cells recognize it as foreign and mount defenses against it."

At least it will be interesting to see how the Q-nuts try to spin this one... 😂

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, melmichigan said:

Speaking only for myself, if I'd been offered a plateful of prepared armyworm larvae instead of a shot, I'd have washed them down with a shot of mezcal, without complaint.  LOL.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

2 hours ago, Corraleno said:

I could have lived without knowing this bit. I actually have a moth phobia.  Getting a moth-incubated vaccine would probably make me pass out.  

Super, super glad I got Moderna. (Don't tell me anything gross or terrible about Moderna!)

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

CA numbers are down. There has been a focus on prioritizing the vaccines to residents in certain zip codes and 🤞 it is working. Those were some of the hardest hit areas. I keep hearing we are going to get a huge influx of migrant workers now. I really hope they can prioritize them to keep the overall infections down. We can finally see some hope in CA! It’s been a terrible winter.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, melmichigan said:

Oh man - I HATE armyworms! Those evil bastards nearly took out my entire lawn only a few months after I planted it! I'd spent HOURS daily working on that lawn, and in a few days they took out most of it. Chemical controls didn't work at all, they have built up resistance, and I didn't manage to get rid of them until I used an organic product with Spinosad in it. 

Oh! and then my lawn got infected with bermuda mites, which are though to be carried by the armyworms! And bermuda mites have no cure. 

Hate army worms. Glad they are being sacrificed to cure Covid. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Spy Car said:

My health care provider called me today and said my turn has come to get the vaccine and I'd be able to get my first shot of Moderna on Monday.

I literally broke into tears of joy. 

Bill

The level of joy, relief, and celebration at my vaccine site (which was a church named the Anointed Temple of Praise. The name seemed very apt) was through the roof. Everyone was staying 6 feet apart and was being careful, but we were all just so HAPPY. 

My 2nd is one week from today, and since you keep the same appointment time, will be the same people. I'm actually looking forward to seeing them, because if we were celebratory last time, I suspect we'll be downright giddy. 

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

The level of joy, relief, and celebration at my vaccine site (which was a church named the Anointed Temple of Praise. The name seemed very apt) was through the roof. Everyone was staying 6 feet apart and was being careful, but we were all just so HAPPY. 

My 2nd is one week from today, and since you keep the same appointment time, will be the same people. I'm actually looking forward to seeing them, because if we were celebratory last time, I suspect we'll be downright giddy. 

My vaccination site is known by the rather more prosaic name of "Kaiser Parking Structure #2," but (at least for my own internal use) I'm tempted to rechristen it the Anointed Temple of Praise. What an awesome name for your vaccination site!

Congratulations on your shots. I'm feeling more relaxed (but ever vigilant, LOL) than I have felt in some time.

Bill

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, Corraleno said:

Yeah, this is the best news I've seen in ages. Great efficacy, another novel method of vaccine production validated (we never do hear about all this new science until it breaks into the world, do we?), and normal refrigeration temperatures. It's amazing. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, freesia said:

Has anyone found an ingredient list for the Novavax?  My dh is allergic to something in each of the other vaccines.  He goes to see his allergist about it on Tuesday, but I'd love to know what's in this one in case it can be an option.

I have looked, but because they haven't filed for approvals, I haven't been able to locate one.

• Like 1

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-norway-idUSKBN2B50GZ

OSLO (Reuters) - Three health workers in Norway who had recently received the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine are being treated in hospital for bleeding, blood clots and a low count of blood platelets, Norwegian health authorities said on Saturday.

So far looks like at similar to background rates but I have a feeling there was some mention about something related to low blood platelets previously with the vaccine?

14 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-norway-idUSKBN2B50GZ

OSLO (Reuters) - Three health workers in Norway who had recently received the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine are being treated in hospital for bleeding, blood clots and a low count of blood platelets, Norwegian health authorities said on Saturday.

So far looks like at similar to background rates but I have a feeling there was some mention about something related to low blood platelets previously with the vaccine?

Number of countries have stopped vaccinating with it. It’s not a good news.

• Sad 2