Menu

Solar power

saraha

Do you have solar power anything?  We aren't really able to do like the big panels on our house thing right now, but I see advertisements for them all of the time, as well as ads for little solar things, like phone chargers and stuff. I have also heard of people who use outdoor solar lights inside. So I was just curious what other people are doing for solar power.

Our only solar power is for outdoor lights, and we might have a charger hiding somewhere?

Our entire house is electric, and there’s just no way to fully support that with solar in the winter. I’ve toyed with the idea of heating by wood, but our chimney placement isn’t exactly ideal for that.  If it were, I’d love to consider otherwise-whole-house solar, but off-grid, which is a ton more expensive to store than being grid-tied.

In the meantime, we contract our electricity supply through solar and wind companies; whichever one is offering the best rate at the time.

• Like 1

We heat with a wood stove and have a fuel oil furnace for back up, or when we won't be home, but my cookstove is electric. I would like to put solar panels on our house, but the cost is prohibitive for us.

So I am looking for other ways to incorporate solar. Do you bring your outdoor lights inside to use, or are they dedicated outside lights. What kind did you buy and are you happy with them?

We have phones and lap tops that are constantly being charged since there are so many of us, so was wondering if there was a way to spread that out a little bit.

No solar here, unfortunately. I would love to have it, but it was cost prohibitive when we last checked into it. We are all electric power here and our power company is a co-op, so rates are generally low. It would have taken us 10 years to break even on the cost of solar installation 😕 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

we have solar hot water 

it is also connected to our kitchen slow combustion stove. so in winter the stove makes the hot water and in summer the sun does. so totally free hot water

We also have solar panels  that make electricity on the roof. we sell it back to the power grid. We get a cheque of around $1000 every year . We have had it for quite a few years now so it has paid for itself 

Edited by Melissa in Australia