Menu

December Well-Trained Bodies

Soror

We just got notice that we're going back into lock-down Christmas Eve for a month. We don't know all the details, but it will be essential services only. Not a good Christmas present. At least we can still go outside. 

I'm going back to the skating pond to take advantage of the perfect conditions. I'll drag/bring along some kids and maybe meet some friends there. 

• Like 2

I've been bad again!  The last 5 days or so, I have not been walking much.  I gave myself some credit for TKD class and house cleaning, but I'm still falling behind.  Meant to catch up over the weekend, but my kids had a friend get-together that morphed into a sleepover.  Leaving for my long walk just didn't seem like a good idea.

I have caught up on a lot of work, but I still have several projects that are kind of overdue, so taking an hour + to go for a walk is hard to justify.  Hopefully I will get things done and be back on track soon.

I also need to do more stomach exercises.  And yoga. 

Eating ... about as bad as usual.  I ate some fudge that a housemate brought home.  Why do people bring such things here?  And where is my self-control?  I also ate a ton at the 2 restaurants we went to over the weekend.  😕  It's hard to refrain from clearing my plate, even if I'm already full.

On the positive side, my kids and I passed our interim TKD belt test on Saturday.  Now I need to learn a new form, while still practicing the old one (which will be on the main belt test next summer/fall).

• Like 3

I'm going to try to get in a good week of exercise (minus Christmas day) and not overdo the eating.  Did another new-to-me Jessica Smith walking video this morning. Now to find ways to entertain myself that don't involve food...

@Laura Corin I'm so sorry you don't get to have the whole family together. It seems unfair for a country that's been doing things right. But I guess they want to protect that. (The American way is to just let it all spiral out of control)

@wintermom I wish we would have a lockdown instead of numbers just getting worse and worse. Glad you can still enjoy all your outside activities. I've never been anywhere consistently cold enough to skate on a pond. That would be so cool to try. 

• Like 2

Walked the dog and ran errands on foot - my only in-person supermarket trip of the season. 10,000 steps. Walked a Solstice candle-lit labyrinth,  which was peaceful.  Must do some yoga tomorrow. 

Berry porridge and yoghurt. Sauteed mushroom, falafel,  cheese and egg. Red mullet and a veg.

20201221_165130.jpg

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Walked the dog and ran errands on foot - my only in-person supermarket trip of the season. 10,000 steps. Walked a Solstice candle-lit labyrinth,  which was peaceful.  Must do some yoga tomorrow. 

Berry porridge and yoghurt. Sauteed mushroom, falafel,  cheese and egg. Red mullet and a veg.

20201221_165130.jpg

Gorgeous photo. Labyrinths are so European! I'd never seen one until I went to Norway and Denmark. Vigeland Park on Oslo has a big one built into the tiles on one of the main open spaces. In Denmark I saw a circular one on a grassy field, which reminds me of the one in his photo. What a perfect idea to light it up at night!

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, wintermom said:

Gorgeous photo. Labyrinths are so European! I'd never seen one until I went to Norway and Denmark. Vigeland Park on Oslo has a big one built into the tiles on one of the main open spaces. In Denmark I saw a circular one on a grassy field, which reminds me of the one in his photo. What a perfect idea to light it up at night!

There is a permanent one in town, laid out in a public park by the local Quakers. This one was a pop up organised by the university Pagan chaplain on university land.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

There is a permanent one in town, laid out in a public park by the local Quakers. This one was a pop up organised by the university Pagan chaplain on university land.

I've seen one at an Anglican church in my city, laid out in landscaping brick right outside the church. The church leadership recommend walking it and meditating or praying. 

• Like 3

The final word on our provincial lock-down is that it starts Dec. 26 and goes for 28 days. My ds who has been attending in-person high school will be the most effected as he'll have his school completely on-line for the month. Otherwise, we can still walk outside and shop at grocery stores (WalMart and Costco will be allowed to sell all their stuff - this is becoming a hotly debated issue).

I'm going for a hike sometime today. Still resting the ribs as they are not completely healed.

• Like 3

I did my Tuesday workout: bodyweight circuit x2 and then yoga. I chose a 20 minute Full Body Flow yoga which was a bit more challenging than my usual! I tend to go for stretch-on-the-floor stuff. This one had a lot of planks and downward dog which I mentally complained about because I had already done push-ups and planks in my bodyweight circuit. But then I got to do tree pose which made it all better. I'm good at the balance stuff. The cat tried to throw me off by biting my standing knee, but I did not fall!

I want to try to get out for a walk today. And we want to try to see Saturn and Jupiter--too rainy and cloudy here last night, but clear today.

• Like 3

Got a workout in late last night...I was dealing with a broken oven and then our internet was down all afternoon due to the heavy snow. Got a workout in this morning before my neighbor came over for brunch (today's her birthday).  I had originally planned to make a quiche, but with the oven out of commission I made a crockpot breakfast casserole in my big crockpot and an apple breakfast cobbler in my small crockpot.  Thankfully they turned out well and we had some fun visiting.  We also indulged in mimosas :) 

The repairman can't come look at the oven until January 14, so the guys are trying to figure out if they can order the part that they think is the problem and replace it themselves.  Even if they can, it'll take a bit to get the part in. Not a great week for the oven to die :( Luckily I had baked most of our Christmas cookies on Saturday, so we won't be cookie-less ;) On a brighter note, we've gotten a ton of snow over the last couple of days, so we should finally be able to start sledding, snowshoeing, and cross-country skiing!

• Like 4

My hike in the woods was amazing! It was very windy, but with all the trees I wasn't cold. The wind completely blocked the sounds of traffic, so that was a nice blessing. When the temps drop sound travels far, and traffic noise from miles away can seem like they are right beside you. It always annoys me on my walks when I'm alone and trying to enjoy the silent sounds of nature. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

I did my Tuesday workout: bodyweight circuit x2 and then yoga. I chose a 20 minute Full Body Flow yoga which was a bit more challenging than my usual! I tend to go for stretch-on-the-floor stuff. This one had a lot of planks and downward dog which I mentally complained about because I had already done push-ups and planks in my bodyweight circuit. But then I got to do tree pose which made it all better. I'm good at the balance stuff. The cat tried to throw me off by biting my standing knee, but I did not fall!

I want to try to get out for a walk today. And we want to try to see Saturn and Jupiter--too rainy and cloudy here last night, but clear today.

😂 It can be dangerous trying to exercise with cats. My dd's kitten is getting good at pouncing and biting fingers and toes. You have to be quick to avoid her.

I wish it was darker here at night. I'd love to be able to see the stars and planets better. Enjoy your night-sky gazing!

• Like 2

Glorious sunny weather after our first real frost. I took the dog up onto a hill for good views across farmland. Made cookies to send to my daughter and her partner,  and Marmite oatcakes for me. Still no yoga. Tomorrow is my last day of work until 5 January.

Cinnamon porridge with yoghurt and grapes.  Ham chunks with green beans, an apple and orange. Salmon with mushrooms and leeks. Cookies. Oatcakes.

• Like 3

I'm going for another walk in the woods with a friend today. I may see with the ice is good for skating, as I'd love to skate again. 

@Laura Corin I always thought you had 2 sons. That is so nice to send cookies to family! If you can't spend the holidays together, it would be lovely knowing you are sharing food. Does your winter hiking improve after the ground freezes? I'm really loving hiking in the woods with frozen ground but no snow yet. I'll enjoy it more with snow, but not having to wear heavy boots for mud and wet ground is really nice. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, FarmingMomma said:

Got a workout in late last night...I was dealing with a broken oven and then our internet was down all afternoon due to the heavy snow. Got a workout in this morning before my neighbor came over for brunch (today's her birthday).  I had originally planned to make a quiche, but with the oven out of commission I made a crockpot breakfast casserole in my big crockpot and an apple breakfast cobbler in my small crockpot.  Thankfully they turned out well and we had some fun visiting.  We also indulged in mimosas 🙂

The repairman can't come look at the oven until January 14, so the guys are trying to figure out if they can order the part that they think is the problem and replace it themselves.  Even if they can, it'll take a bit to get the part in. Not a great week for the oven to die 😞 Luckily I had baked most of our Christmas cookies on Saturday, so we won't be cookie-less 😉 On a brighter note, we've gotten a ton of snow over the last couple of days, so we should finally be able to start sledding, snowshoeing, and cross-country skiing!

That is horrible timing, I'm sorry 😞

15 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Glorious sunny weather after our first real frost. I took the dog up onto a hill for good views across farmland. Made cookies to send to my daughter and her partner,  and Marmite oatcakes for me. Still no yoga. Tomorrow is my last day of work until 5 January.

Cinnamon porridge with yoghurt and grapes.  Ham chunks with green beans, an apple and orange. Salmon with mushrooms and leeks. Cookies. Oatcakes.

What kind of cookies did you make? The girls made turtles yesterday and plan to make some other candy today.

32 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I'm going for another walk in the woods with a friend today. I may see with the ice is good for skating, as I'd love to skate again. 

Enjoy the walk/skate./

I finally called the dr after no word. My liver enzymes are up a bit and there were crystals in my urine. My T4 (thyroid hormone) was also below range, it really should not have been below range as I took it that morning, when I do my regular thyroid tests they do not have me take my meds the morning of testing (due to the medication I'm on), so that is not good. My T4 tends to run low but not usually below range and certainly not after taking pills. The liver is affected by the thyroid so that could be the issue with that. Not sure on the kidney. 

I feel better than I did last week but energy is still limited. I'm planning to get an abdominal ultrasound so we can hopefully get a clearer picture. I'm really hoping to get that next week before the new year and deductible starts. I've got to redo thyroid labs too, I have a consultation in January anyway so I'll do those as directed by my thyroid dr and see what it shows.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 2

I did a new-to-me Jessica Smith Cardio Bootcamp Boogie which was a harder workout than I'm used to. But good for me I'm sure. Heading out to do the grocery shopping and I have laundry going too to get all that done before Christmas.

No walk yesterday, but we did take a very short drive to see Jupiter and Saturn. It's low in the sky so we can't see it from our house due to trees and other houses. Here's my exciting iPhone pic. No dramatic Star of Bethlehem flares, but it was still cool to see. Jupiter is in front and bright but you can still see Saturn nearby with the naked eye.

JupiterSaturn.JPG

• Like 4

4 hours ago, wintermom said:

@Laura Corin I always thought you had 2 sons. That is so nice to send cookies to family! If you can't spend the holidays together, it would be lovely knowing you are sharing food. Does your winter hiking improve after the ground freezes? I'm really loving hiking in the woods with frozen ground but no snow yet. I'll enjoy it more with snow, but not having to wear heavy boots for mud and wet ground is really nice. 

I thought I had two sons too!  My eldest came out as a trans woman about a year ago.

There's a sweet spot - between deep mud and slick, icy puddles -  when the hiking is frosted and good.  We're not there yet!  I'm sticking to gravelled farm tracks for the moment.

4 hours ago, Soror said:

That is horrible timing, I'm sorry 😞

What kind of cookies did you make? The girls made turtles yesterday and plan to make some other candy today.

Enjoy the walk/skate./

I finally called the dr after no word. My liver enzymes are up a bit and there were crystals in my urine. My T4 (thyroid hormone) was also below range, it really should not have been below range as I took it that morning, when I do my regular thyroid tests they do not have me take my meds the morning of testing (due to the medication I'm on), so that is not good. My T4 tends to run low but not usually below range and certainly not after taking pills. The liver is affected by the thyroid so that could be the issue with that. Not sure on the kidney. 

I feel better than I did last week but energy is still limited. I'm planning to get an abdominal ultrasound so we can hopefully get a clearer picture. I'm really hoping to get that next week before the new year and deductible starts. I've got to redo thyroid labs too, I have a consultation in January anyway so I'll do those as directed by my thyroid dr and see what it shows.

I'm sorry that you are in limbo, not knowing how to improve your health, @Soror

I made Tollhouse chocolate chip cookies - Husband has fond memories of them.  Having read a lot of comments on the original recipe, I adapted for the change in wheat since the 1930s when the recipe was written (!), doubled the vanilla, and also reduced the sugar by one-third.  Still too sweet.  My eldest's partner likes white chocolate, so presumably she can cope with overly-sweet, so I sent them off anyway.  I'm making another batch tonight, so I'll cut the sugar further.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

I thought I had two sons too!  My eldest came out as a trans woman about a year ago.

There's a sweet spot - between deep mud and slick, icy puddles -  when the hiking is frosted and good.  We're not there yet!  I'm sticking to gravelled farm tracks for the moment.

Ok, I wasn't imagining things. That's a big step. Hope it's all going smoothly for them and you. 

I know about 'that sweet spot' with outdoor exercise. It varies with the activity, too. Sunday was a super sweet spot with skating on the pond, and now it's gone. I've learned that when the weather conditions are great just 'drop everything and get out there.' This is what we used to do at our school in Norway. We'd stop all regular classes and all go outside for a day on the ice. Amazing memories to be made this way. 😉

• Like 2

I'm so glad I squeezed in a short skate on the pond this morning, as we've got 2 days of heavy rain on the way (if the forecast can be trusted). The walk in the woods was great, though too short. 

I just made Black Bean soup/stew. I think it was @Ali in OR that shared the recipe. I tried using refried beans instead of whole black beans and the results are excellent. You avoid that weird skin on the bean that gets stuck on the teeth. It also makes the soup more like stew. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Ok, I wasn't imagining things. That's a big step. Hope it's all going smoothly for them and you. 

I know about 'that sweet spot' with outdoor exercise. It varies with the activity, too. Sunday was a super sweet spot with skating on the pond, and now it's gone. I've learned that when the weather conditions are great just 'drop everything and get out there.' This is what we used to do at our school in Norway. We'd stop all regular classes and all go outside for a day on the ice. Amazing memories to be made this way. 😉

We're doing really well, thank you.

• Like 3

Edit:  just realized I posted 2 days ago ... I had scrolled up but didn't see it before I posted today.  Sorry to be redundant!

My plan to go with an "average" of 4 miles per day (walking) backfired.  There were some days I didn't walk because I just wasn't feeling it.  My average went way down.  I am now working on rehabilitating it.  😛  As of yesterday, after a 6 mile walk, I was at 3.6 miles average for December.

I'm hoping that with the holidays, I will be free to go walking during daylight hours (which are usually work hours).  However, I will also be busy with gift wrapping and socializing, so we'll see.

[some redundant stuff about TKD deleted]

Edited by SKL
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Soror said:

Hope you get all this figured out so you can function better. You need your energy back! Sounds like your health care is still allowing you to do a lot of in-person things, so that really good.

All the best over the next few days!

• Like 2

I went for a walk this morning and I'll be playing Pickle Ball this afternoon with dh and friends. I've only played this game once before. It's like a giant game of ping pong where you stand on the table. Sounds like ping pong, too. 😄  Oh well, if you can't get a tennis court then this will have to do.

• Like 4

I did one of the walking workout videos. Weight is up but eating isn't over yet--augh! And I still need to get out and take a walk. Yesterday was busier than today, so hopefully will have time today.

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate this day! Wishing you a peaceful, restful, restorative holiday.

• Like 4

On 12/24/2020 at 5:07 PM, FarmingMomma said:

Day 30/80: leg day.  Was interrupted a few times because the guys were installing my new oven. That was definitely worth it, because now I'm cooking goodies for tonight 🙂

I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas!

Ya! I thought it was going to be several more days still, that is awesome.

8 hours ago, wintermom said:

My poor body is trying to recover from my deep breathing/Qigong, skating and pickle ball sore muscles. I've gone for a few walks and taken hot showers and baths. I'm trying to be patient with my aging body. 😉

Wishing you a swift recovery. 

I'm taking it pretty easy. Enjoying family time. 

Ultrasound scheduled Tuesday morning and I'm hoping I can get labs done while I'm at the hospital, need to call and see if they are appointment or walk in there. 

My appetite is still a bit wonky. Sometimes I'm starving and sometimes I feel full but haven't ate all that much. Maybe just stress, hopefully the ultrasound is helpful.

My shoulder has been hurting again. 2 weeks ago today was the last I did any strength work. It hurts when I lay in bed and just when I sit in a chair. Seems like I need to go to PT and get it checked out but hate the thought of it.

And sleep has not been very good.

So, motivation and energy are lacking, I'm trying to just be ok with taking it easy for a bit and hope things improve.

• Like 3

Time to get back to some activity and healthy eating. And just eating less. My body does not feel as good when there is too much indulgence. I'm aiming for a clean weekend, then we have a family birthday so there WILL be cake and ice cream! But a clean weekend first should help.

My Christmas gift was an Apple Watch which I mainly wanted for the health tracking. And my 30-year-old watch wasn't working so well anymore. I thought it would automatically track my sleep last night but apparently I was supposed to set that up first! So I need to learn how to use the thing. But my O2 Sat is 100%. My dh got an oximeter a few months ago but it measured all of us in the low 90's--I don't think it's a very useful tool. Hopefully this one is a little more accurate.

Did Fundamentals of Ease yoga this morning. And I will try to "close the rings" on the watch today--may need a walk to do that.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Soror said:

Ya! I thought it was going to be several more days still, that is awesome.

They looked up the cost of parts that probably needed replaced and decided it was better just to buy a new oven.  The boss had to go to Calgary anyway so he was able to pick one up for us.  Merry Christmas to me!

Hope you get some answers after the ultrasound and labs.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Soror said:

Wishing you a swift recovery. 

I'm taking it pretty easy. Enjoying family time. 

Ultrasound scheduled Tuesday morning and I'm hoping I can get labs done while I'm at the hospital, need to call and see if they are appointment or walk in there. 

My appetite is still a bit wonky. Sometimes I'm starving and sometimes I feel full but haven't ate all that much. Maybe just stress, hopefully the ultrasound is helpful.

My shoulder has been hurting again. 2 weeks ago today was the last I did any strength work. It hurts when I lay in bed and just when I sit in a chair. Seems like I need to go to PT and get it checked out but hate the thought of it.

And sleep has not been very good.

So, motivation and energy are lacking, I'm trying to just be ok with taking it easy for a bit and hope things improve.

Your shoulder sounds like my rib soreness. I've been taking hot showers, baths and cold cider. 😉 It's relaxing and distracts me from the pain.

Hope you find some answers soon.

• Like 2

We got some proper snow overnight, so it's a proper white christmas now. Can't ski yet, but hopefully it will come just in time for my complete recovery from deep breathing. 😄

I'll be going for a couple walks in the woods today. Not much else planned. 

I finished off my "Christmas baking" today by making Coconut Stacks and another batch of Rice Krispy Squares. There is a local shortage on marshmellows, so I was lucky to get some giant ones to make up the batch.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 4

Like some others, I wasn't able to be as strict with myself as I might have preferred over the last week or so. Even without holiday parties and travel and other temptations/commitments, I found it difficult to stick to eating or fitness intentions. 

I've managed my 3K+ walk pretty much every day and have met my step goal most days (like 6/7) for the last three weeks. And I met not only the initial but the extra goal for the Holiday Hustle, bringing me to over 100K for the month. I just need to do the 7K Kwanzaa Quest this week in order to complete all of the bonus challenges. But cardio and stationary biking have been spotty. And I didn't finish the 12 Days of Fitmas series I started on 12/4 until just today. 

My weight is up by a good chunk (about 10 pounds), some of which I'm hoping is temporary just because of the splurging over this last week. 

So, December has been a mixed bag, all told. If I hadn't had goals, I'm sure things would be much worse, but I definitely could have done better about sticking to said goals. And I clearly have my work cut out for me heading into January.

• Like 5

Well, I'm trying to get back on track but I think it will be more difficult until I go back to work next week. That really limits how much time I have to eat and I eat less. I'm having trouble managing it without that schedule constraint. Currently up 3 pounds but I hope one of those drops off in the next day or two.

I did a walking workout video this morning, curious to see how the Apple Watch would track it. I was worried it wouldn't measure it at all, but it says I did about 2400 steps, 1.4 miles. Might be a bit low (I would walk 2 miles on a treadmill in the same amount of time), but at least it's showing something. Still learning how to use the watch. I've slept 6 hours and 7 hours the two nights I've tracked so far--that's not good enough for winter break! I keep staying up late, but really I don't sleep in later. The first night I unknowingly had the watch alarm set, so my watch woke me up at 5:40am on a Sunday! and then today the cat woke me up at 5:40. I lie in bed awhile but I don't get anymore sleep. And that's why I nap.

Have a good day everyone.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I thought I was going to be able to skate on the local pond today, but woke up to fresh snow and +1 C. It looks like it might be freezing rain, so I'll have to bust out the crampons for my boots.

It's dh and my 24th anniversary today. We had freezing rain 24 years ago, too. 😉

Congratulations! 

• Like 2

I'm back.  I'm off work this week and am enjoying preparing for my module.  I'm trying to work out my new timetable.  I'm a morning person, so I think I'll go back to what I did for my Masters: studying first thing before work.  So 7.30 to 8.45 studying, 9 to 5 work (with a walk at lunchtime), 5 to 5.45 housework, then yoga, cooking/cleaning up, supper, light reading, bed by 10.30.  With extra hours of study at weekends, that should be fine.  I had previously been assuming that I would study in the evenings, but I tend not to sleep well after doing anything that really excites me intellectually in the evening.

Anyway.  Today the temperature was around freezing but the wind was very light, so Husband and I went to the beach - he is working on C25K and I NW.  Later I did a Kassandra intermediate yoga flow.

I got a Garmin for Christmas, to replace my Fitbit, which doesn't work properly with my new phone.  I like it a lot, but I'm having a problem with exercise zones and intensity minutes.  I don't know if it is just not picking up my heart rate properly, or whether the automatic zones are not set right.  Normally, the cadence (steps per minute) for a brisk walk is 100 plus.  I always walk well faster than that, except when Husband and I go for a stroll.  None of my walks this week, including my NW which was over four miles an hour, registered more than a few minutes in zone 3, which is Garmin's first aerobic zone.  So far, zero intensity minutes (out of 150 recommended per week) have registered.  I've pushed my watch further up my wrist, in case it's a pickup problem.  I have an email in to customer service to ask for advice.  If all else fails, I'll adjust the zones, but that feels like cheating.  In better news, apparently I have the fitness of a 40yo.  I will, of course, believe that, despite the rest of the data being haywire.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I'm back.  I'm off work this week and am enjoying preparing for my module.  I'm trying to work out my new timetable.  I'm a morning person, so I think I'll go back to what I did for my Masters: studying first thing before work.  So 7.30 to 8.45 studying, 9 to 5 work (with a walk at lunchtime), 5 to 5.45 housework, then yoga, cooking/cleaning up, supper, light reading, bed by 10.30.  With extra hours of study at weekends, that should be fine.  I had previously been assuming that I would study in the evenings, but I tend not to sleep well after doing anything that really excites me intellectually in the evening.

Anyway.  Today the temperature was around freezing but the wind was very light, so Husband and I went to the beach - he is working on C25K and I NW.  Later I did a Kassandra intermediate yoga flow.

I got a Garmin for Christmas, to replace my Fitbit, which doesn't work properly with my new phone.  I like it a lot, but I'm having a problem with exercise zones and intensity minutes.  I don't know if it is just not picking up my heart rate properly, or whether the automatic zones are not set right.  Normally, the cadence (steps per minute) for a brisk walk is 100 plus.  I always walk well faster than that, except when Husband and I go for a stroll.  None of my walks this week, including my NW which was over four miles an hour, registered more than a few minutes in zone 3, which is Garmin's first aerobic zone.  So far, zero intensity minutes (out of 150 recommended per week) have registered.  I've pushed my watch further up my wrist, in case it's a pickup problem.  I have an email in to customer service to ask for advice.  If all else fails, I'll adjust the zones, but that feels like cheating.  In better news, apparently I have the fitness of a 40yo.  I will, of course, believe that, despite the rest of the data being haywire.

I missed that you were studying. Are you doing a university course or something with work? What type of course/module is it?

Hope you get your new watch figured out.

• Like 1

It was really cold this morning so I went in search of a pond to skate on. The local one had a bunch of children playing hockey, so I went to the big one I'd skated on a couple weeks ago. It was great to get out and skate! The ice wasn't great, but good enough for a morning work-out. My legs definitely feel it. 😉

I'm also meeting a friend for a walk by the river this afternoon. Should be nice as the sun is out and there isn't too much wind.

• Like 4

Still figuring out my Apple Watch and I'm deciding I'm not going to be a "close the rings" person. You're supposed to do a certain amount of movement, 30 min of exercise, and stand at some point during 12 hours of the day. I'm fine on movement and standing, but it won't track the kind of exercise I do--I got 20 min credit for yesterday's 32 min walking video and only 4 min credit for today's bodyweight circuit x2 and then a fairly active 20 min yoga. That meets my personal exercise goal but not my watch's goal. I'm blaming male programmers; there is more to the exercise world than running!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, wintermom said:

I thought I was going to be able to skate on the local pond today, but woke up to fresh snow and +1 C. It looks like it might be freezing rain, so I'll have to bust out the crampons for my boots.

It's dh and my 24th anniversary today. We had freezing rain 24 years ago, too. 😉

Happy Anniversary!

18 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Yes, take the good, leave the rest. Hopefully it is an easy fix.

• Like 1

Ultrasound and bloodwork done this am. I was more than a little anxious about it (I hate going to the dr anyway) but it all went fine (aside from the fact I had to wait forever and the check in lady was new and didn't know what she was doing). 

I had some pain in my gall bladder as he was scanning it, which makes me nervous. I emphatically DO NOT want surgery. I will not do anything unless it is critical I get it done. Whatever is going on seems to come and go with varying frequency. I'd prefer to just wait it out if I can. Fingers crossed. I was nervous enough for the stupid ultrasound the thought of being put under makes me feel ill, not to mention the cost because of course new year is new deductible.

Energy level is better, not great but better. Sleep is not good, which makes it hard to figure out if it is just the sleep causing the low energy or something else. 

I'm trying to figure out some kind of fitness plan, I work better with goals and plans but feeling like I'm in limbo land makes that hard. Not to mention the health issues makes me apprehensive of doing much, lest I make things worse. So, I'm holding tight focusing on getting things done around the house.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Soror said:

Ultrasound and bloodwork done this am. I was more than a little anxious about it (I hate going to the dr anyway) but it all went fine (aside from the fact I had to wait forever and the check in lady was new and didn't know what she was doing). 

I had some pain in my gall bladder as he was scanning it, which makes me nervous. I emphatically DO NOT want surgery. I will not do anything unless it is critical I get it done. Whatever is going on seems to come and go with varying frequency. I'd prefer to just wait it out if I can. Fingers crossed. I was nervous enough for the stupid ultrasound the thought of being put under makes me feel ill, not to mention the cost because of course new year is new deductible.

Energy level is better, not great but better. Sleep is not good, which makes it hard to figure out if it is just the sleep causing the low energy or something else. 

I'm trying to figure out some kind of fitness plan, I work better with goals and plans but feeling like I'm in limbo land makes that hard. Not to mention the health issues makes me apprehensive of doing much, lest I make things worse. So, I'm holding tight focusing on getting things done around the house.

Glad you could get the u/s done and hopefully it will help provide some answers. Crossing my fingers for you! 🙂

• Like 1