Menu

Potluck rules: does anyone remember whatshername? Marnie?

Ellie

She made a list of rules for family members who were coming to her house for a Thanksgiving or Christmas potluck. They were pretty, um, obsessive. I had saved the link on Internet Explorer, which I no longer have, and I thought I had also saved the link in a Word document, but I cannot find it. Does anyone remember?

While I find the OCD off putting - I can relate and do have sympathy.  Just one reason I no longer host Thanksgiving. 

I bought so many serving dishes and spoons - but it never seemed to be enough.  Then there's the person who always brought the raw ingredients expecting to work on the in my kitchen - which has 20'+ of counter space, every inch of which was being used.  To cook on my stove, or even bake in my oven we were using for a turkey, and then for rolls when the turkey came out.  We simply said bring what you want - and had zero expectations it would make it to the table. 

• Like 1

I’ll never forget it because I have a relative who is very similar to Marnie. 

I had a different relative who was obsessed with everyone sitting in the seat she had planned. 

I get the serving spoon thing.  I get the idea of bringing your food cooked.  What I want to know is the back story on the turnips here.

With all the delicious foods one can eat at Thanksgiving, why would you order someone to bring a food and then warn people that no one likes it?  The issue doesn't seem to be that Marney is afraid to boss people around, so why doesn't she just say "No turnips, bring some broccoli" or something.  

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

I get the serving spoon thing.  I get the idea of bringing your food cooked.  What I want to know is the back story on the turnips here.

With all the delicious foods one can eat at Thanksgiving, why would you order someone to bring a food and then warn people that no one likes it?  The issue doesn't seem to be that Marney is afraid to boss people around, so why doesn't she just say "No turnips, bring some broccoli" or something.  

It sounds like someone who always brings turnips because they like them, and just accepting they're going to bring what they're going to bring.

I have a relative who always had to bring something DIFFERENT.  generally things that few people consumed, let alone put on their plates.  Even that person's son put the tomato aspic on top of a kitchen cabinet . . . hoping it wouldn't make it to the table.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I remember an interview where she was very concerned about how things stack. 🤣

I admire the way she doesn't elaborate on her comments on family members. She said what she said in her letter, and that's all there is. Because they're family.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Ok...wait, are people saying this letter was real, not a joke? I assumed it was satire. 

I think the original letter was real, though I assume names were changed.  I think the interview and any subsequent stuff about it was satire.  

I have a sister in law kind of like Marney so I find this very amusing.  She is more like mediocre food Marney.  Sorry Marney-wanna-be, you can assign me jello or canned baked beans all you want, but I'm not bringing something no one in my family is going to eat.  It won't kill you to have a green vegetable or salad on your table even if you don't want it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

Oof!  My family would have had to make a skit out of that one! 

Ummm...I've done it.

My drama group will perform it if we ever get to have a show again. Marnie will be lecturing in the front of the stage while her poor family members come in and out with unacceptable items. There will be throwing of spoons, hiding of unacceptable food items, and people freaking out over lids vs. aluminum foil.

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

It sounds like someone who always brings turnips because they like them, and just accepting they're going to bring what they're going to bring.

I have a relative who always had to bring something DIFFERENT.  generally things that few people consumed, let alone put on their plates.  Even that person's son put the tomato aspic on top of a kitchen cabinet . . . hoping it wouldn't make it to the table.

But see that’s what I wanted to know.  Other people don’t get to choose what kind of pie to bring, it what kind of wine.  They either have very limited choices or none.  But this one person gets to bring something no one likes. How did that come about?  I am just curious.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I remember an interview where she was very concerned about how things stack. 🤣

3 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Ok...wait, are people saying this letter was real, not a joke? I assumed it was satire. 

I did too!!

I had no idea this was a real letter!  I feel so bad for the writer!!  The interview was painful to watch.  She looks humiliated.  I hope she can learn to laugh along with everyone else.  

5 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

Ummm...I've done it.

My drama group will perform it if we ever get to have a show again. Marnie will be lecturing in the front of the stage while her poor family members come in and out with unacceptable items. There will be throwing of spoons, hiding of unacceptable food items, and people freaking out over lids vs. aluminum foil.

I was thisclose to wearing a tee-shirt that said “Marney approved!” to one of my own Marney-esque relative’s meal. Her micro-managing drove me bonkers! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh wow. If I got a letter/email like that, I’d politely decline to attend.

Sooo my friend just declined for similar reasons. Her sil “hosted” thanksgiving.  Told friend to bring a veggie tray, deviled eggs and a dessert. Okay. 

Wednesday at 7pm she says each person needs to contribute $20 ($280 total?!) for the meat. Wednesday 8pm she texts my friend saying she needs to bring paper plates and such. Friend has not responded to either message bc she has already gone to bed. (She gets up at 4am). 8:20 the sil texts that she will just have to pay sil back for them.  5am friend texts sil to say she isn’t feeling up to attending.  Keep in mind my friend is one of the Covid unemployed right now and is facing bankruptcy  but even without that factor -  geez, I would have declined to attend too!

• Sad 3