Menu

summer 2021?

What is your high schooler thinking of doing/planning to do next summer?

Next summer will be between DS15's 10th and 11th grade years. This past summer (between 9th and 10th) we just did school all the way through and took a short break in early September.   

DS15 would love to find a job out of the house but of course it's not at all clear what the covid situation - not to mention the employment situation for teenagers -- will look like next summer.  Same for competitive summer programs -- it looks like some of them have already been canceled and others are up in the air.   DS has an ongoing web design business and I've suggested that if all else fails he can drum up some new business next spring to work on over the summer.  

My dd just started an algebra 2 class on to of the geometry class she was already taking. Her comment to me was that she can finish it over the summer because "what else am I going to do, Mom?" A little sad, but probably realistic. My twins are eligible to get their driver's licenses, so we'll probably take care of that, which will then make any possible jobs easier to coordinate.

I feel this pressure to make the summers COUNT! But there are still so many unknowns, and i worry about burning any of us out.

How cool that you're ds already had a web design business going! How did he get that started? I wonder if i could nudge my ds down a path like that.

• Like 1

Last summer my rising 11th grade DD, grounded from her usual summer activity that takes her away from home for about 6 weeks, took a total of one full elective credit via PA Homeschoolers’ summer offerings, completed driver’s education and logged all her required driving hours, and had her wisdom teeth removed. She would have never had the time to accomplish all that were it not for the pandemic. 

Edited to add—I forgot to mention her biggest accomplishment of last summer: thoroughly prepping for ACT. She worked through several subject-specific books on her own, then worked with a tutor weekly for about 8 weeks. She raised her ACT score from a 25 to a 32!

We are hoping (but not counting on it) that she will be able to go away this summer, but if not, she’ll take another elective credit, have senior pictures taken, get a head start on college applications, and hopefully work. We have many neighborhood families with little kids so the summer nanny market is quite strong/well-paying in our area, especially if summer camps continue to be  canceled/compromised by virus concerns.

Edited by fourisenough
Added important info.
  • Like 3

Driver's ed is such a good idea -- we should definitely put that on the list for next summer.  It hasn't been top of mind because, well, none of us ever go anywhere any more.

8 hours ago, SusanC said:

How cool that you're ds already had a web design business going! How did he get that started? I wonder if i could nudge my ds down a path like that.

DS started a few years ago by helping his music teacher design a website using Squarespace, and then he gradually added more clients through word of mouth and other connections.   He's also done some volunteer work, designing sites for a couple of local nonprofits.   He doesn't love the process but it's certainly more lucrative than many other (legal) options for teens, and IMO he's gotten some very good life and business experience as well.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm really hoping that the vaccine gets rolled out asap. They are saying that we are supposed to get it in December or January (healthcare workers) and high-risk folks soon thereafter. With vaccine hesitancy among much of the population (sigh), fingers crossed that those of us with family who are happy to get a jab will be vaxed in the first half of 2021, after the high priority folks. We have Sacha's bar mitzvah trip to Israel already booked in September/October 2021 and his Space Camp scholarship from 2020 was already postponed to June 2021, so this family is chomping at the bit to get inoculated asap. 

• Like 2

Last summer was actually good for dd. She was able to participate in some opportunities that went online that would not have been otherwise possible because they are too far away. She was busy all summer, although it was mostly online. She found her tribe.

I have no idea how we would have fit in Driver's Ed if she had done everything she was signed up for pre-covid. Some of her summer opportunities spilled into fall, so she'll have a couple of year-long (but self-paced) classes that start after everything for fall wraps up.  I assume some of that will roll into next summer.

She's applying for some scholarships for pilot training for next summer, so finger's crossed. If camps go off, she will probably be a counselor at one, but I'm not sure if she'll be a camper at any others. She's seems to have suddenly outgrown some of the ones she was looking at for last summer. She might life guard since she'll be old enough and they will train her. Maybe encampment for CAP, if that happens. Usually in January we have a solid plan for summer, but this year, we're in wait-and-see mode.

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Like 5

My graduating Senior is planning to work at Boy Scout camp, just like he did the previous two summers.  Yep, his Boy Scout camp was the only traditional Boy Scout camp in the SE that stayed open all summer with nary a case of Covid.  They had strict mask and behavior protocols, and all the staff had to take on sanitizing duties in addition to their normal jobs.  It was a super heavy workload for the staff, but my son grew by leaps and bounds last summer and found his clan.  I think maintaining all the Covid protocols brought them closer together as a team.  He teaches the Wilderness Survival, Camping and Archeology merit badges at summer camp.

• Like 5

On 11/29/2020 at 9:14 PM, JennyD said:

What is your high schooler thinking of doing/planning to do next summer?

Next summer will be between DS15's 10th and 11th grade years. This past summer (between 9th and 10th) we just did school all the way through and took a short break in early September.   

DS15 would love to find a job out of the house but of course it's not at all clear what the covid situation - not to mention the employment situation for teenagers -- will look like next summer.  Same for competitive summer programs -- it looks like some of them have already been canceled and others are up in the air.   DS has an ongoing web design business and I've suggested that if all else fails he can drum up some new business next spring to work on over the summer.  

DS15 will also be between 10th and 11th. He's a big birder and thinking about doing a Big Year in our county so that being at home all summer would be a plus. 🙂 He also teaches piano online, so he'll probably keep that up. He'll likely do an online math class and possibly a Spanish class. He has a dream to bird in the wilds of Peru that was inspired by another young birder he knows, so conversational Spanish and a robust eBird profile are a must.

Emily

• Like 4

My Dd is also 15 and a current 10th grader. 

Her plan for the summer is to volunteer for a month at camp in NC, then spend the rest of the summer pulling together her Stars and Stripes project for AHG. (Similar to BSA Eagle. She will have been working on it in the spring, but planning the actual project for late summer or early fall.)

She hopes to get a job - probably at Chick fil A or Publix. 

Eta: Dave Ramsey's personal  finance course and lots of driving practice are in my plan for her summer!

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 3

My gosh I haven't even thought about next summer.  Plans for both driver's ed and a job for my teen got canceled this summer.  Depending on the Covid situation, hopefully both of them can happen next summer.  It would be nice.  But until Covid is less of an issue, I guess we are in the house like we have been all year.  

• Like 2