Menu

Chicory Root Fiber Powder?

Jean in Newcastle

Background - desperately trying to lose weight for years.  I track all food, water, carbs, steps, exercise, blood sugar levels.  I eat low(ish) carbs (under 100 g a day but not as low as the 30 g. that true low carbers reach). 

Actual question:  someone on a weight loss site I said that they had some success taking chicory root fiber powder.  I'm desperate enough to look it up. . .   Any one use this?  Any comments on whether it helps?  I understand that it's a prebiotic?  Does it help the gut biome?  I don't have food cravings.  I get within my calorie guidelines (set by nutritionists) so I don't need it to just "make me feel full". 

IDK if it helps or not.  in itself

When I do keto which for me does help, iirc it’s part of a keto milk substitute powder I use in coffee to start keto fat burning.   Or something similar, maybe acacia based inulin is.  

this sort of thing

Perfect Keto MCT Oil C8 Powder, Coconut Medium Chain Triglycerides for Pure Clean Energy, Ketogenic Non Dairy Coffee Creamer, Bulk Supplement, Helps Boost Ketones, Unflavored https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06VVJLSZR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_3sfXFb1BA1BV7?psc=1

Powdered  chicory itself makes a coffee substitute I like, or a good addition to regular coffee imo. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Background - desperately trying to lose weight for years.  I track all food, water, carbs, steps, exercise, blood sugar levels.  I eat low(ish) carbs (under 100 g a day but not as low as the 30 g. that true low carbers reach). 

Actual question:  someone on a weight loss site I said that they had some success taking chicory root fiber powder.  I'm desperate enough to look it up. . .   Any one use this?  Any comments on whether it helps?  I understand that it's a prebiotic?  Does it help the gut biome?  I don't have food cravings.  I get within my calorie guidelines (set by nutritionists) so I don't need it to just "make me feel full". 

Chicory root powder is high in inulin which is a prebiotic that helps the good gut bacteria flourish. Most people don't get much in their diets. Yes, it does help the gut biome and is being studied as a treatment for obesity. Here's a beefy but informative article:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30875987/

My morning routine includes a scoop of chicory root powder along with d-ribose powder. Neither for weight issues. Chicory root powder to help feed the good bacteria in my gut. D-ribose for ATP production (cellular "fuel"). The chicory root powder tastes a bit sweet and has a texture almost like powdered cotton candy. D-ribose is also sweet. I mix both in water and drink it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You should always start with small amounts of prebiotics and then slowly increase. People not accustomed to eating a lot of inulin have horrible experiences eating large portions of Jerusalem artichokes, sunchokes, which are also good sources of inulin. Once your body gets used to it, you can increase.

ETA: This is what I buy. It looks like they might be out of it at Amazon but you should be able to buy something similar. Just make sure it's 100% chicory root. 1 scoop = 3.3 grams. @Jean in Newcastle, how much chicory root does the person in your group take per day? 10 grams?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RV4F3CR

Edited by BeachGal
added link; question
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BeachGal said:

You should always start with small amounts of prebiotics and then slowly increase. People not accustomed to eating a lot of inulin have horrible experiences eating large portions of Jerusalem artichokes, sunchokes, which are also good sources of inulin. Once your body gets used to it, you can increase.

ETA: This is what I buy. It looks like they might be out of it at Amazon but you should be able to buy something similar. Just make sure it's 100% chicory root. 1 scoop = 3.3 grams. @Jean in Newcastle, how much chicory root does the person in your group take per day? 10 grams?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RV4F3CR

She said that she takes one teaspoon a day mixed in Greek yogurt 

8 hours ago, BeachGal said:

And...your post triggered a thought. I used to love a specific salad from a certain restaurant, but it ALWAYS upset my stomach - diarrhea, gas, bloating, etc. I finally figured out it was the jicama in it. Just looked it up and yes, jicama is high in inulin. That explains it. 

And I don't know how small you can start with...even eating one greek yogurt that had some inulin in it (came that way, I didn't add it) was enough to cause painful gas and bloating in me. I'd not think there was a lot in there? Just looked - it has 3 grams of fiber from chicory root so maybe one can start smaller than that? https://www.oikosyogurt.com/greek-yogurt-protein/triple-zero/vanilla/

Edited by ktgrok
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

And...your post triggered a thought. I used to love a specific salad from a certain restaurant, but it ALWAYS upset my stomach - diarrhea, gas, bloating, etc. I finally figured out it was the jicama in it. Just looked it up and yes, jicama is high in inulin. That explains it. 

And I don't know how small you can start with...even eating one greek yogurt that had some inulin in it (came that way, I didn't add it) was enough to cause painful gas and bloating in me. I'd not think there was a lot in there? Just looked - it has 3 grams of fiber from chicory root so maybe one can start smaller than that? https://www.oikosyogurt.com/greek-yogurt-protein/triple-zero/vanilla/

That’s odd. I love jicama and it’s never caused me issues, but every other food high in inulin does. I wonder what the difference is. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ktgrok said:

3 grams of chicory root is almost one teaspoon so not a huge amount but if you're not used to it, that could be too much. Starting with a pinch of chicory root powder and then slowly moving up might work better. Maybe it’s triggering something else as well. Hmmm...