Menu

Cross stitch project, what would you charge?

Loowit

My sister has a friend at work that needs someone to cross stitch on a baby blanket (34"x43").  She has all the supplies, but it would be a big project time-wise.  I have no idea what would be a good price to quote for that kind of work.  I have never done this sort of thing for other people before.  I do a lot of embroidery and cross stitching on my own as presents.  I made a blanket for each of my nieces and nephews when they were born.  Anyone here done this before and/or paid someone to do this?

I personally wouldn't, because it should cost hundreds of dollars, and most people underestimate in their expectations.

Also, I have done cross stitch, but doing someone else's project would be a drag. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Loowit said:

Thanks everyone.  I appreciate the input.  I am going to have the think about this.  I am not sure I want to get into something this big right now.

I'm a cross-stitcher and I know the time (and love) we put into our projects.  If you are not sure you want to take this on, then don't do it.  Something that is supposed to be fun and relaxing becomes a huge chore.  And...I would also charge several hundred dollars for your time if you decide to do it :-).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Patty Joanna said:

Look on Etsy for a comparable product.  I know it feels wrong but craft work just doesn’t command $$$ / hour.   If you are willing to do it for what people will pay then it’s worth your time.  

im doing a cross stitch that’s about 8x10” finished.  It takes about 5 hours for about 4” square.   No ones going to pay $500 for this job...not that it’s for sale.  (This is a Pascha basket cover for a friend.)  

audience makes a difference too.  My BFF and I named identical quilts for school auctions, different schools.  Hers brought on $1200, mine $200–and I was the one who bought it back.   Different audiences.  

It kind of depends on how much they are willing to pay.  

whether or not it is worth her time - it depends what her other responsibilities are.  I wouldn't do it even for $100 an hour because I simply do not have the energy, and have things I need to do already - but am rationing my energy to do what has the highest priority to me.

• Like 3

I agree with the above and it is FINE to say you don't have time now and turn down the offer. I knit/crochet and can make anything but I turn down offers of "work" regularly.  Even at minimum wage would not it be worth it for me and most would balk at paying that kind of price.  I don't have time to finish up the projects I really want to get done.  

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Patty Joanna said:

Look on Etsy for a comparable product.  I know it feels wrong but craft work just doesn’t command $$$ / hour.   If you are willing to do it for what people will pay then it’s worth your time.  

im doing a cross stitch that’s about 8x10” finished.  It takes about 5 hours for about 4” square.   No ones going to pay $500 for this job...not that it’s for sale.  (This is a Pascha basket cover for a friend.)  

audience makes a difference too.  My BFF and I named identical quilts for school auctions, different schools.  Hers brought on $1200, mine $200–and I was the one who bought it back.   Different audiences.  

It kind of depends on how much they are willing to pay.  

I'm so glad you posted this. I thought I was the world's slowest cross stitcher (is that a word?) so knowing how long it takes someone else to stitch makes me feel like I fall more in the average category. Seriously, thank you for that!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Patty Joanna said:

I may be slow but I'm perfect.  The only problem with my work is people hang them up inside out.  haha. Kidding.  But I really am a perfectionist.  Cross-stitch is about the only thing that lets me be really really really good at something.  :0)

(Have I introduced you to my stitch puller????) haha

I am too.  I have taken out rows of stitches because I didn’t like I stitch I did 5 rows ago LOL.  I had a framer frame one of mine backside facing out 😂😂😂.  It does take more time, but worth it!

Edited by mlktwins