Menu

Accountability Thread 11/29-12/5

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...which means it's raining and cold. A good day to stay in and write or paint.

Today's goals:

House: chores, bring in Christmas stuff later

School: schedules, buy books (tried last night but was a bit short, so get them today)

Cooking: leftovers

Writing: 5000 to 7000 words (probably closer to the 5000), finish the written part of one of my projects and final it for revision in March or April. Personal reading.

Art: class today

Exercise: walking 3 miles today (it's raining and 40 this morning and I just can't walk in that and not get soaked and cold)

• Like 1

Morning. Sunny and oh, so cold this morning. Feels a lot like...well, January.

Today's goals:

House: chores, bed, bath, clean up art supply and book pile. Don't ask.

School: usual (started the next history book, and I'll start Botany as soon as the second book gets here, but just taking getting into winter term slowly with holidays coming up.

Cooking: taco meat, chips, leftover pumpkin bread for dessert

Writing: 5000 words or so. It's the last day of NaNoWriMo, and I want to finish strong. My total by the end of today will be over 150,000 words written for November. Personal reading. Started The Weight of Ink the other day. Not sure I like it, but we will see.

Art: continue painting cover, and organize art projects. Art planning.

Exercise: Walk 5 miles. I'm not changing this for the month. I still feel sore when I'm finished, and until that's a thing of the past, I don't want to attempt to increase the distance or the intensity that much.

• Like 2

On 11/29/2020 at 6:49 AM, Critterfixer said:

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...which means it's raining and cold. A good day to stay in and write or paint.

Us, too!  Well, that's what Christmas looks like here.  We're more like your January weather at the moment: sunny & nippy.  Hoping we get tons of rain soon, though the boys will protest having to run in it ...

Today's big item is prepping for my game tonight; I didn't make time to take good notes after the last session months ago and it is biting me.  Plus, there are various odds & ends that need fixing.  And the whole thing is sort of surreal ... I'd never spend this much time on our game if it weren't so necessary for holding our social circle together, and for providing my friends with a much-needed source of joy/fun & break from routines. 

A good thing is that it is making me work on skills in story-building, and I've always wanted to have better fiction abilities.  That's cool.

So:

• Game: move into last-minute prep, work through YouTube prep video, review QuickStart guide for my system.
  • Not-game: keep folks fed, keep house decent, exercise boys & myself, stay cheerful, upbeat
  • + music for younger, writing for elder. 

PS -- You've got me curious about The Weight of Ink ... I'll reward myself later & go check it out.  And: 5 miles is such a great walk, seems to me, that distance will seriously engage your systems 🙂  You are wise not to push it ... I injured myself a bit and these days (or at this time of life!) things seem to heal so slowly...

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 1

Morning! It's 22, sunny, and frostbitten out there, so no walking today until it warms up.

Today's goals:

House: chores, catch up stuff from yesterday (I was tired)

School: usual

Cooking: chili, baked potatoes

Writing: I finished NaNoWriMo with over 150,000 words for the month. I might need an encore in December to finish everything by the new year. So, 5000 to 7000 words today, personal reading, writers' meeting stuff

Art: continue painting

Exercise: walk 5 miles (after it halfway thaws out there)

Extra: some organization of art supplies, possibly some decorating for Christmas.

• Like 1

Morning! Like to froze to death yesterday. It was so cold. Better today, but then rain moves in and possibly sleet, and yuck.

Today's goals:

House: chores, kitchen

Cooking: roast, gravy, smashed potatoes

Writing: 2,500 on the two WIP to finish this month, 1,500 on a new WIP because the main character wouldn't shut up. Personal reading, critiques.

Art: continue painting, organization

Exercise: walk 5 miles

The one problem I'm having with The Weight of Ink is the repetition. Seems like a lot of things get repeated, including ideas. As this is something I personally struggle with in my writing, it's probably worth reading the full book and then highlighting it on a second read through to see where I get annoyed.

• Like 1

Well, MY head's been buried in the sand so I kept trying to post yesterday but couldn't get my account working b/c I hadn't read the helpful, friendly, completely obvious pin RE fixing the passwords.  Sigh. 

But I'm here now!

@Critterfixer:  first, 🎉 NaNoWriMo! 🎉  It feels so good to hear about your 150,000 words.  Thanks for writing, and thanks for sharing your progress.  It helps 🙂 Second, way to keep walking + please don't freeze to death, I would miss you and I bet your family would too.  Third, Weight of Ink looks incredible but I fell off at the first sentence, drove me absolutely bananas and pushed buttons I suppose.  The hope = opiate thing I get conceptually, but as the kickoff to a book with such a dominant religious streak it was too religion-is-the-opiate-of-the-masses to me and the cadence of the language seemed a beat off.  Anyhow, as the only person of faith in this household, perhaps I'm a little too sensitive to these things? 

It is so much of a better book, and such lovely prose, compared to what I've ACTUALLY been reading lately that it isn't fair to critique it for this, but I suspect I'm not in the right place to appreciate it right now.  I saw that some of the other readers had a reaction similar to yours; and what a neat idea, to track something that you're working on in your own writing & use it to develop your craft. 

Today: migraine management plus not-crying are, honestly, good places to start.  Here's the bucket list:

1.  Kick off with breakfast up to MIL + spend some time just being with younger dude.  Perhaps give him a bath at the same time. 

2.  Hour for RPG work.  Spend half of it sketching out general nodes on my world with themes and tie-ins to the climax for each of them.  Second half should be getting a session review out to my players + preparing them to level up.

3.  Greek with younger, music with younger; literature with elder; everybody needs to do some math today and read some good books.

4.  Kid fitness: run program + strength.

5.  Me fitness: today is step + strength.

6.  Another hour of RPG work.

7.  Takeout date night with DH.

8.  In between: house, week's list.

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 1

@serendipitous journey Yes, I love looking at reviews and seeing that I'm not the only one who has trouble with a book! Sometimes it's a matter of taste, sometimes it's actually the craft. 

Today's goals:

House: chores

School: light day

Cooking: what I was supposed to cook yesterday. I misread the list--it got wet and everything smeared.

Writing: 5000 to 7000 words, critiques, personal reading

Art: continue projects

So about the same as yesterday.

• Like 1

Morning!  Good luck with dinner tonight 🙂 -- I'm not sure what how I'll wrangle ours, I must say; younger's piano teacher is in China now so his lesson will fall at 6 pm which is in the range of witching hour 'round here. 

• RPG: I worked on recap stuff yesterday.  Today: send recap, keep notes for pre-session work (leveling up, run adventure-in-adventure by players, recap, etc.), contact my spellcasters about spells for them, work on story.  Goal: write 500 words in WorldAnvil for December challenge (of 10k words -- it will be a lot of words for me!).
  • School: schedule around RPG chunks so I can think.  Everybody kicks off with math: languages all around, including a Latin review for younger; literature for elder, assigned reading for younger. 
  • Music: work with younger on music, plus set things up for lesson. 
  • Partner (DH has been having a hard time lately, this week I'm trying to put things in place to make life just feel more pleasant and look-forwardable-to): do some things on this list: order table, lamp for his study; carpet/rug for his study; find a throw for it; measure out the space to put bookshelves in; measure stuff so we could put TV equipment in a cabinet; find place for oversized mirror to reflect more light; work on potting his plants.
  • Holiday: work on gift list, prep for tree. 
  • Fitness: boys: run, strength; me: run, strength, some yoga. 
  • Keep home running.  
  • Dinner: SUPPOSED to be the extra turkey.  With other stuff.  Crossing my fingers + figuring out my plan. 
  • Like 1

Morning! It's not as cold as it has been. I like it.

Today's goals:

House: chores and sweeping the house

Cooking: breakfast for dinner

Writing: 5000 to 7000 words, get to the last few critiques, personal reading

Art: continue projects

• Like 1

Afternoon! 

We brought home our tree today: hurrah! 

On the schedule:

• RPG: after tons of banging my head (figuratively speaking) I finally figured out what I need to do next: sketch out the campaign arc for the whole world, perhaps sketch in a bit of the unknown stuff at the beginning for a nice package, and then figure out at least two possible directions for my players to take + have some points to hit to give it a subtle holiday lift (themes of charity/family/community/virtue and a local, in-game festival or holiday). 
  • RPG: plus, some bookkeeping: spells for characters, study my system, look over character sheets and work with players to define different areas of specialization.  Especially: wizard versus elf for mechanical stuff.
  • Holiday: request some books, draft holiday lists: home; stuff for family; stuff for community.
  • Fitness: step today (I ran yesterday -- hurrah!), strength, yoga. 
  • Garden/outdoors: bonus to do anything out there.  🙂 
  • Look at week's goal list, try to engage stuff there.