Jump to content

Menu

Help with Colour


Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

In our new house, one of the bedrooms is painted a colour very similar to this BlueBird colour https://www.sico.ca/en-ca/colour/colour-families/teal/bluebird - perhaps a bit brighter. 

I love the colour and dh will tolerate it since it isn't the master bedroom, but I need ideas for bedding and furniture.  I have already bought an upholstered headboard in dark grey, but I can return it and get something different (although that isn't ideal).  The room will have a queen size bed and space for bedside tables and a small dresser.  The closet is a good size and has great shelving for hanging and storing clothes and other items, so a lot of storage isn't need.  

I'm a completely coloured impaired, so any advice and pictures/links are welcome!  This area doesn't have much for shopping, but I can get online deliveries (like Amazon and Wayfair), so those are best for me.

Thank you!

Edited by jen3kids
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That is a pretty colour, and could be really nice for accent items like throws, pillows, curtains. What is the colour currently on the walls and floors in your master bedroom? Are you changing either of these? 

Is your dh sensitive to certain colours or styles? You use the term 'tolerate' for a colour, is this because he prefers a certain colour or style? Or maybe this blue colour is a little over-powering on all the walls of a smaller bedroom?

Link to post
Share on other sites

We aren't painting any of the other rooms, so it that doesn't impact this room.

As for dh, he really doesn't care, but he just doesn't prefer that colour.  And that's ok, because the colour in the other bedroom isn't a favourite of mine, but he likes it.  Neither one of us will spend any time in either of these bedrooms (they're for company and the kids when they come visit), so it isn't a deal breaker for either of us.   I just want them to look nice 

The floors are a warm honey brown hardwood throughout most of the house and there are 2 windows (one facing west and the other north).  Does that make a difference?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm assuming you mean paint on the walls?

I have that color in the bonus room. We have chocolate brown couches and golden yellow throw pillows. I would think that white bedding with deep red or golden  or brown throw pillows would look great. Also, I think coral would be gorgeous. Coral would look great with the gray headboard. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

I love that color. My kitchen is similar with accents of navy and hot pink(not right though. A darker pink) .  Also my sewing room/guest room is similar with gray and navy again. 

 

I was thinking navy and grey.  I will have to take a look at bedding on Wayfair again...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

I'm assuming you mean paint on the walls?

I have that color in the bonus room. We have chocolate brown couches and golden yellow throw pillows. I would think that white bedding with deep red or golden  or brown throw pillows would look great. Also, I think coral would be gorgeous. Coral would look great with the gray headboard. 

I had never thought of putting red or coral in there....  something more to think about.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

this isn't the best photo but gives you an idea. Obviously there is lots of white.  And the navy is a softer, dustier navy. 

IMG_20181220_131926009.jpg

 

11 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

This is the bedding

 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07837L7NS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

 

ETA: nevermind. It's not on this listing anymore.  

Thank you for the photo and the link to the bedding.  

I think our walls are a bit deeper/richer/brighter (or something), but it's definitely close, and our floors aren't quite as dark.  The previous owners also left the curtains and they are a deep teal, almost navy.  I really like them!  

Link to post
Share on other sites

The colour chip link you sent has some photos of how this wall colour looks with white furniture and dark brown furniture. It also has coordinating colour suggestions. 

Depending on what furniture you own, and how bright or dark your preferences are, you could have lots of white and some darker colours, or the other way around. Judging by the 3 photos, I'm guessing that leaning more toward white looks the best. 

I think the idea is that it is like nature, with light blue and white "sky" and a variety of darker colours on the ground. Looking out my window right now, I can see that, and it looks very natural, pleasant and relaxing.

Edited by wintermom
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

I love bright bold and cheerful colors. My house is so not fashionable, but it makes me happy. No pale white, gray or beige here! 

 

I actually bought red bedding (thinking this bed would go in the other room, but that room is a bit small for a queen size bed).  My mum was horrified - red bedding!  What will the neighbours think when I hang this on the clothesline!  🙂   I'm not sure what it will look like with the walls, but I've got it now and cannot return it, so it's going on the bed!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, wintermom said:

The colour chip link you sent has some photos of how this wall colour looks with white furniture and dark brown furniture. It also has coordinating colour suggestions. 

Depending on what furniture you own, and how bright or dark your preferences are, you could have lots of white and some darker colours, or the other way around. Judging by the 3 photos, I'm guessing that leaning more toward white looks the best. 

I think the idea is that it is like nature, with light blue and white "sky" and a variety of darker colours on the ground. Looking out my window right now, I can see that, and it looks very natural, pleasant and relaxing.

 

I do love the 'nature' look, and this house is in the woods!

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, jen3kids said:

 

I actually bought red bedding (thinking this bed would go in the other room, but that room is a bit small for a queen size bed).  My mum was horrified - red bedding!  What will the neighbours think when I hang this on the clothesline!  🙂   I'm not sure what it will look like with the walls, but I've got it now and cannot return it, so it's going on the bed!

I think red would look great with the blue and gray.

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.hobbylobby.com/search/?text=duck+cloth&quickview=80907688

This cloth (leafy vine in case a bunch show up) looks more yellow/orange online than it does in person by far, but I have this fabric, and I wish I could use it in the one room I have that has an accent wall similar to your color. I would love curtains that are less busy but have these colors for that room. 

That general shade of blue is very forgiving. It blends well with a lot of stuff. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding a nature look, I tend to have to wait and bide my time as I collect things, but it's a fun look to decorate with--it's kind of in the middle as far as being a formal or casual look. You can dress it up or dress it down. 

I tend to like fabrics and accents with interpretations of nature, not necessarily a photographic look or a country/farmhouse look. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d use all light grays and whites, maybe a bit of very pale natural shade (linen color). It would look lovely and relaxing imho. (But I tend to like very calming and soothing color schemes, especially for bedrooms.) White end tables would look so good with the gray headboard and blue walls. I’d probably do a solid white, textured duvet as well. 

Edited by mmasc
Add link
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would keep the dark grey headboard you ordered, but put in all white bedding and white curtains. Let that be your basic background and then if you want to add a cherry red pop (40s farmhouse look) or coral (beach house vibe) or a blush pink vibe for spring—you can change around accents as you want for season or for fun. 
 

But, all white makes for easy cleaning (bleachable) and I think it will allow you flexibility over time to change the look without having to completely redo things.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jen3kids said:

 

I was thinking navy and grey.  I will have to take a look at bedding on Wayfair again...

And if you wanted a pop of color, coral in some small accent might work well.

Edited to say I saw someone else also suggested coral. It’s one of my favorite colors of all time, so I’m always looking for a reason to use it. 😛

Edited by Frances
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I would keep the dark grey headboard you ordered, but put in all white bedding and white curtains. Let that be your basic background and then if you want to add a cherry red pop (40s farmhouse look) or coral (beach house vibe) or a blush pink vibe for spring—you can change around accents as you want for season or for fun. 
 

But, all white makes for easy cleaning (bleachable) and I think it will allow you flexibility over time to change the look without having to completely redo things.

Yep, this is the kind of decorating I do. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

That is a lovely color. 
 

I have a hard time picking just one thing for a room. I worry it won’t be cohesive and I freeze. I like to consider the purpose or function of a room when I plan it out, too. This means I go through a process. 

First up - How will the room be used and who will use it? 

Second - What atmosphere do you want to create?

Examples relaxing, interesting, stimulating, comforting 
 

Third - When you look through blogs, Pinterest or magazines, what rooms do you like and why? Look at all rooms, not just bedrooms. 

Example: I like rooms with a lot of empty space, light colors, one strong accent color,  bright light

Fourth - When you look through blogs, Pinterest or magazines, what rooms do you not like? 
 

Example: I don’t like dark rooms - dark paint, dark furniture, large furniture, heavy draperies thick or formal area rugs 

Fifth: Make a plan, but be flexible along the way. I don’t have to find every element of the decor at once, I can spread it out over weeks or months. I am patient enough to wait until I find something that fits. 

After I figure all of this out, I think about the specific room. 
First: You don’t say, but it sounds like this might be a guest room. So I’m going to go with that idea. 

Second: That’s a calming color to me, reminiscent of the beach. So, I am thinking relaxing.

Third: There are a lot of spaces that I consider relaxing - I’ve seen many examples of relaxing bedrooms, decks, sunrooms and bedrooms. I like them when they have simple color palates and natural colors. I like a lot of light. I’m thinking I want to evoke a spa Ike or coastal style feeling in the guest room. 

Fourth: Whatever you don’t like, don’t include. If there is an element that you don’t like, like the color of the carpet or flooring, that you can’t change, think about how to minimize it. For example, in my relaxing room, if the flooring is dark, I would look for a lighter color accent rug large enough to go under the bed with about 2’ showing at the sides and end of the bed. It’s okay if it has a design,  it I would want it to be a simple design,  not busy. 

Fifth: I work from the hardest, most “permanent” elements first. These would be things that would be expensive to change or a lot of work to change. So, with that in mind, I make a plan. 
 

This is just an example of my thought process - it might help you, or not. For your room, you have the wall color set. Are you happy with the flooring? If not look for an area rug. With that color wall, and keeping in mind I’m aiming for a relaxing feel,  I’d look for something light grey with white and cream accents. White or cream with grey accents would be fine. By accent, I mean a simple border line or a simple, uncluttered botanical print. How are the window treatments looking? If the window frame isn’t already white, I would paint it white. Since I want as much light in the room as I can get, I would pick a white wood window blind. That is all I would want, but if you’d like something additional then, continuing with the relaxing theme, I’d pick something gauzy looking. If the room is light challenged, I want to create the illusion of having more light. To do this I would choose bright white, gauzy fabric and put the top about six inches from the ceiling and have them go all the way to the floor. A decorative curtain rod adds a nice touch - this isn’t something you will change out a lot, so think neutral for color - brushed nickel or white would probably look good. The bedding will be the next larger expense. I love white bedding and that is what two of the bedrooms in my house have. It’s a great neutral. Lots of pillows -  four is good. You will want to get pillow shams to match your comforter or quilt. If you have a bedspread, you won’t need them. O, for relaxing, I’m thinking soft, but with texture if possible. So, white tone on tone fabric, such as a damask stripe or simple botanical for the comforter or bedspread. I might add color by having a color sheet. Layers mean bedding luxury to me. I recommend at least three layers: sheets, quilt or coverlet and a comforter or bedspread. Also, at least three throw pillows of at least two different sizes and a throw to lay at the foot of the bed. I’d use these to add different textures - cable knit throw, marbled  or heathered color on pillows, what ever you like. Now, thinking about accent colors - I do a lot of browsing. In one room, I found a production art piece that I really liked - it had blue, white, cream, & pale yellow flowers. You might like a metal or wood wall sculpture or even a large clock. Find something you like - Kirklands has a lot to choose from online. Then pick two of the colors in the art piece. You will use these in the throw pillows. So, for example, you pick something with sunset colors, you could use coral, orange, yellow, lighter blue or darker blue. You want to pull the area rug and the accent art together if you have an area rug, so think about including gray or cream. Play with the pillows - two solid color and one print, for example. But pull two colors from the art and/or rug to use in the pillow. Use one of them for the throw blanket. Whichever accent color you use the least of in the pillows & throw, look for a lamp base or pot or other decorative item for the dresser in that color. Thinking about my relaxing spa look, I’d probably select a light blue/grey and a light coral. I’d use the coral sparingly so that it pops to add interest. Whatever accent item I choose for the dresser, I’d make it consistent with that calm spa/beach atmosphere. This means if I find a great color match, but it doesn’t feel calm, say it’s a clown or something, I skip it. It might be a small wood sign with the accent color used in the lettering, or a small bowl, a pot (add a fake geeen plant, succulents are popular right now). 

I did add some special guest room touches - a bucket with toiletry items that sometimes get left behind, a note with the WiFi password and breakfast plans on the pillow. If I can find a current local issue magazine I might put that in there, too. When people can travel again, I’m going to invade some local sight seeing/activity info, too. 
 

Well, this is probably much more than you ever wanted to know about how I choose colors! I moved this year as well and I am still looking for some of those finishing touches for a few rooms. It’s harder because a lot of places are closed or have odd hours. Online works great, until it doesn’t. I’m taking my time, that’s for sure! 
 

 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I would keep the dark grey headboard you ordered, but put in all white bedding and white curtains. Let that be your basic background and then if you want to add a cherry red pop (40s farmhouse look) or coral (beach house vibe) or a blush pink vibe for spring—you can change around accents as you want for season or for fun. 
 

But, all white makes for easy cleaning (bleachable) and I think it will allow you flexibility over time to change the look without having to completely redo things.

I use a lot of white - I really like it as a “clean slate.” It’s so easy to change out throw pillows to change things up with a white canvas. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, kbutton said:

https://www.hobbylobby.com/search/?text=duck+cloth&quickview=80907688

This cloth (leafy vine in case a bunch show up) looks more yellow/orange online than it does in person by far, but I have this fabric, and I wish I could use it in the one room I have that has an accent wall similar to your color. I would love curtains that are less busy but have these colors for that room. 

That general shade of blue is very forgiving. It blends well with a lot of stuff. 

 

That is a pretty fabric and would look nice as a accent in many rooms.  Can you make a pillow covering with it?  Or perhaps frame it as a piece of art?

 

 

20 hours ago, kbutton said:

Regarding a nature look, I tend to have to wait and bide my time as I collect things, but it's a fun look to decorate with--it's kind of in the middle as far as being a formal or casual look. You can dress it up or dress it down. 

I tend to like fabrics and accents with interpretations of nature, not necessarily a photographic look or a country/farmhouse look. 

 

We don't want farmhouse or country look.  Dh prefers clean and uncluttered, whereas I'm a bit more eclectic (he would say messy!)

19 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

These pictures were taken with cats in mind but it kind of shows my bedroom with a color close to the one you shared. I chose it for it's beachy vibe and chose white furniture and green and blue colors with a bit beige/tan thrown in for the decor. By far, my favorite room in the house.

IMG_2206.jpg

IMG_2327.jpg

I love the colour choices and the mix of fabrics in this room, and the cats are an added bonus!

 

18 hours ago, mmasc said:

I’d use all light grays and whites, maybe a bit of very pale natural shade (linen color). It would look lovely and relaxing imho. (But I tend to like very calming and soothing color schemes, especially for bedrooms.) White end tables would look so good with the gray headboard and blue walls. I’d probably do a solid white, textured duvet as well. 

I'm leaning towards white end tables and have found a few options on wayfair and overstock

 

 

18 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I would keep the dark grey headboard you ordered, but put in all white bedding and white curtains. Let that be your basic background and then if you want to add a cherry red pop (40s farmhouse look) or coral (beach house vibe) or a blush pink vibe for spring—you can change around accents as you want for season or for fun. 
 

But, all white makes for easy cleaning (bleachable) and I think it will allow you flexibility over time to change the look without having to completely redo things.

Very true!  I like the idea of being able to change the room without having to redo everything.

 

17 hours ago, Frances said:

And if you wanted a pop of color, coral in some small accent might work well.

Edited to say I saw someone else also suggested coral. It’s one of my favorite colors of all time, so I’m always looking for a reason to use it. 😛

I'm beginning to like the coral option more and more...

 

6 hours ago, TechWife said:

That is a lovely color. 
 

I have a hard time picking just one thing for a room. I worry it won’t be cohesive and I freeze. I like to consider the purpose or function of a room when I plan it out, too. This means I go through a process. 

First up - How will the room be used and who will use it? 

Second - What atmosphere do you want to create?

Examples relaxing, interesting, stimulating, comforting 
 

Third - When you look through blogs, Pinterest or magazines, what rooms do you like and why? Look at all rooms, not just bedrooms. 

Example: I like rooms with a lot of empty space, light colors, one strong accent color,  bright light

Fourth - When you look through blogs, Pinterest or magazines, what rooms do you not like? 
 

Example: I don’t like dark rooms - dark paint, dark furniture, large furniture, heavy draperies thick or formal area rugs 

Fifth: Make a plan, but be flexible along the way. I don’t have to find every element of the decor at once, I can spread it out over weeks or months. I am patient enough to wait until I find something that fits. 

After I figure all of this out, I think about the specific room. 
First: You don’t say, but it sounds like this might be a guest room. So I’m going to go with that idea. 

Second: That’s a calming color to me, reminiscent of the beach. So, I am thinking relaxing.

Third: There are a lot of spaces that I consider relaxing - I’ve seen many examples of relaxing bedrooms, decks, sunrooms and bedrooms. I like them when they have simple color palates and natural colors. I like a lot of light. I’m thinking I want to evoke a spa Ike or coastal style feeling in the guest room. 

Fourth: Whatever you don’t like, don’t include. If there is an element that you don’t like, like the color of the carpet or flooring, that you can’t change, think about how to minimize it. For example, in my relaxing room, if the flooring is dark, I would look for a lighter color accent rug large enough to go under the bed with about 2’ showing at the sides and end of the bed. It’s okay if it has a design,  it I would want it to be a simple design,  not busy. 

Fifth: I work from the hardest, most “permanent” elements first. These would be things that would be expensive to change or a lot of work to change. So, with that in mind, I make a plan. 
 

This is just an example of my thought process - it might help you, or not. For your room, you have the wall color set. Are you happy with the flooring? If not look for an area rug. With that color wall, and keeping in mind I’m aiming for a relaxing feel,  I’d look for something light grey with white and cream accents. White or cream with grey accents would be fine. By accent, I mean a simple border line or a simple, uncluttered botanical print. How are the window treatments looking? If the window frame isn’t already white, I would paint it white. Since I want as much light in the room as I can get, I would pick a white wood window blind. That is all I would want, but if you’d like something additional then, continuing with the relaxing theme, I’d pick something gauzy looking. If the room is light challenged, I want to create the illusion of having more light. To do this I would choose bright white, gauzy fabric and put the top about six inches from the ceiling and have them go all the way to the floor. A decorative curtain rod adds a nice touch - this isn’t something you will change out a lot, so think neutral for color - brushed nickel or white would probably look good. The bedding will be the next larger expense. I love white bedding and that is what two of the bedrooms in my house have. It’s a great neutral. Lots of pillows -  four is good. You will want to get pillow shams to match your comforter or quilt. If you have a bedspread, you won’t need them. O, for relaxing, I’m thinking soft, but with texture if possible. So, white tone on tone fabric, such as a damask stripe or simple botanical for the comforter or bedspread. I might add color by having a color sheet. Layers mean bedding luxury to me. I recommend at least three layers: sheets, quilt or coverlet and a comforter or bedspread. Also, at least three throw pillows of at least two different sizes and a throw to lay at the foot of the bed. I’d use these to add different textures - cable knit throw, marbled  or heathered color on pillows, what ever you like. Now, thinking about accent colors - I do a lot of browsing. In one room, I found a production art piece that I really liked - it had blue, white, cream, & pale yellow flowers. You might like a metal or wood wall sculpture or even a large clock. Find something you like - Kirklands has a lot to choose from online. Then pick two of the colors in the art piece. You will use these in the throw pillows. So, for example, you pick something with sunset colors, you could use coral, orange, yellow, lighter blue or darker blue. You want to pull the area rug and the accent art together if you have an area rug, so think about including gray or cream. Play with the pillows - two solid color and one print, for example. But pull two colors from the art and/or rug to use in the pillow. Use one of them for the throw blanket. Whichever accent color you use the least of in the pillows & throw, look for a lamp base or pot or other decorative item for the dresser in that color. Thinking about my relaxing spa look, I’d probably select a light blue/grey and a light coral. I’d use the coral sparingly so that it pops to add interest. Whatever accent item I choose for the dresser, I’d make it consistent with that calm spa/beach atmosphere. This means if I find a great color match, but it doesn’t feel calm, say it’s a clown or something, I skip it. It might be a small wood sign with the accent color used in the lettering, or a small bowl, a pot (add a fake geeen plant, succulents are popular right now). 

I did add some special guest room touches - a bucket with toiletry items that sometimes get left behind, a note with the WiFi password and breakfast plans on the pillow. If I can find a current local issue magazine I might put that in there, too. When people can travel again, I’m going to invade some local sight seeing/activity info, too. 
 

Well, this is probably much more than you ever wanted to know about how I choose colors! I moved this year as well and I am still looking for some of those finishing touches for a few rooms. It’s harder because a lot of places are closed or have odd hours. Online works great, until it doesn’t. I’m taking my time, that’s for sure! 
 

 
 

 

That is a lot of info - thank you for taking the time to write all that out.  I appreciate it.  

Yes, it is a guest room and I want it to be comfy and inviting.  Definitely not stuffy or encumbered. 

I don't look through blogs or pinterest - I find them too overwhelming.  I like too many different things and then I can't make up my mind.

I want the room to be bright and airy, so I think the headboard will be the darkest thing in the room.  I'm ok with the floor, but am open to putting a rug in there if necessary.

The window frames are painted white and have white wooden slate blinds, which I hate, but are too expensive to replace right now.  I think they are heavy and clunky.  They are in all 3 bedrooms, unfortunately.  The curtains are a heavy fabric and a deep teal.  I really like the colour, but they may be too much.  I can easily take them down anytime.  

 

6 hours ago, TechWife said:

I use a lot of white - I really like it as a “clean slate.” It’s so easy to change out throw pillows to change things up with a white canvas. 

White is a very good base - I'm looking into white bedding now.  Thank you,  and good luck with finding those last finishing touches for your rooms!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jen3kids said:

That is a pretty fabric and would look nice as a accent in many rooms.  Can you make a pillow covering with it?  Or perhaps frame it as a piece of art?

I've already used it in another room. 🙂 I sewed a storage basket with that fabric, lined with a medium blue (sort of royal blue but lighter). I didn't think of it for curtains (or accents for the other room until afterward, though I hope I can find something more colorful for that room down the road. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jen3kids said:

 

I'm leaning towards white end tables and have found a few options on wayfair and overstock

 

You might find something that isn't a end table or night stand that can function as one. I was looking for nightstands and didn't like what I was finding at the time when I came across these wood & metal carts. They do a great job as nightstands. My BFF told me she likes them because she knows she's not going to accidentally knock her glasses off onto the floor. The one on the other side of the bed is the same cart, but with a grey blanket rolled up and a clear hourglass instead of the tissue box. Wayfair has similar carts, I just saw some when I searched for "cart." I found these at Home Goods.

 

IMG_4786.JPG

Edited by TechWife
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jen3kids said:

That is a pretty fabric and would look nice as a accent in many rooms.  Can you make a pillow covering with it?  Or perhaps frame it as a piece of art?

 

I love the idea of framed fabric. Or, you could use a staple gun and put it on a canvas. They often go on sale and you can choose your size, much like a frame. If you wrap the sides of a canvas you don't have to find a frame. You could also paint the sides with an acrylic craft paint in a complementary color.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...