Jump to content

Menu

S/o- favorite keto main dishes??


Recommended Posts

I like pizza with a cauliflower crust. I usually top it with black olives and sweet peppers.

Edited to add: We like "crack" slaw, but we prefer to use round steak cut up in slices rather than ground beef for texture purposes.

Edited by Martha in GA
Adding another favorite
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I make eggroll-in-a-bowl (crack slaw) with ground pork bc of the texture and higher fat content.

Suzanne Somers' recipe for Pork Chops with Creamy Shallot Sauce is yummy, if you can allow dairy and a little red wine. Basically pan fried pork chops in a red wine and cream reduction sauce.

The Pioneer Woman's Coconut Curry Shrimp is yumm-o! We had it last night. I use more shrimp, 2/3 mild and 1/3 hot curry powder, half the honey or sub Swerve, and have it over riced cauliflower instead of rice.

We love grilled salmon in a teriyaki marinade. I can do some honey or maple syrup in the marinade without it affecting my blood sugar. 

Not a main dish, but a yummy winter veggie casserole: Brussels sprouts and artichoke hearts. Frozen Bs, completely thawed or even steamed for a few minutes. Canned, quartered art hearts. Mix together in a casserole dish. In a separate bowl, mix 1/2 C mayo, 2 t. Lemon juice, 1/4 t. celery salt. Dollop over veggies. Sprinkle with good Parmesan and sliced almonds. Bake at 325 for 25 minutes, til hot through and golden on top. I usually double the sauce.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Soup! Soup! Soup! Fast, flexible and delicious.

Homemade stock is super easy, fabulously healthy and GI tract healing, and cheap! 

I make it in my crock pot. In the morning, put in chx/turkey carcass or beef bones. Bones should have been cooked! I roast whole chx or use rotisserie. My 9lb turkey yeilded enough bones for two batches. Beef bones are inexpensive at most Farmers' Markets or direct from grassfed/pastured animal farmers. I get beef bones for free from our CSA. I roast them on 425 until browned before making stock. 

Add veggies. I use celery, onion, carrots, garlic. For beef I add some whole peppercorns and a bay leaf. Cover with water, add some salt. Cook on low for 24 hrs.

Cool, strain, and use or freeze. I freeze  2C. completely cooled stock in a quart ziploc, laid flat. They stack easily in my small freeer. I also freeze some in ice cube trays. Perfect when you just need a couple T. of liquid.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Chx tortilla soup.

Saute onion and bell peppers in oil. I like avocado or EVOO. Add minced garlic for just a minute.

Add equal parts chx stock and veggie cocktail. You can use V8 or find a better version at your Farmers' Market. Many farmers here can their own and sell it in cases of 12, 1 qt jars. 

Add cooked chx, a can of fire-roasted tomatoes, chipotle chile powder and salt to taste. Simmer for a few minutes and taste. Adjust seasonings.

Reserve some for LC eaters, then add black beans and some frozen corn. Serve with avocados, cilantro, and  a small dollop of sour cream. Tabasco or Siracha at the ready for those who need more heat! 

You can also add other veggies to this greens or zucchini work well.

Edited by ScoutTN
Link to post
Share on other sites

Italian sausage soup

Brown sausage in dutch oven, remove. Saute onion, celery, and red bell pepper in drippings. Then add minced garlic. Add meat back in. Then beef stock and chopped cabbage. Simmer 20 minutes and season to taste. 

Add carrots, diced small, with the onions, if you can have them. They add color, sweetness, fiber, and nutrients. A can of diced tomatoes is good too.

If serving to non-LC eaters, add 2 can of small white beans, drained and rinsed.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just made this the other night and it was a hit with the whole family

Broccoli Cheese Soup

(I apologize in advance—the site is *horrrible*, but the recipe is yummy)

and we make this one regularly. It’s also one the whole family will eat. I double it and serve it with steamed broccoli:

One Skillet Chicken with Lemon Garlic Cream Sauce

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

We’ve been in a rut for a while now, and this thread is my favorite thread at the moment!  Thanks for starting it.

I tend to like anything with broccoli and cheese.  Absolutely anything.  Serious comfort food there.

Not dinner, but I like keeping the cream cheese and egg pancakes on hand for snacking. I think they are from I Breathe, I’m Hungry?  I make them without sweetener or anything, and use wrapped with sandwich meats and cheese, or with swerve sprinkled on as a quick sweet treat when one is, ummm, needed.

We are nut free here, and Dd is anaphylactic to dairy/DS to avocado, so I have to do a lot of cooking separately and carefully.  We’ve been in a burger rut lately, so thanks for all the inspiration!
 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

I just made this the other night and it was a hit with the whole family

Broccoli Cheese Soup

(I apologize in advance—the site is *horrrible*, but the recipe is yummy)

and we make this one regularly. It’s also one the whole family will eat. I double it and serve it with steamed broccoli:

One Skillet Chicken with Lemon Garlic Cream Sauce

I think I made the same Broccoli Cheese soup and it was delicious and yes, the site is "horrible."

I also made the rolls from DietDoctor to go with it. The rolls were very good, but a lot of fiber! https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/the-keto-bread

If anyone has the inclination to post links to the recipes listed that would be wonderful (that don't already have links)!  I am new to this so it is great to have resources.  I am getting ready to make a blueberry cream cheese danish https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/low-carb-blueberry-cheese-danish-coffee-cake/

Thanks!

 

 

Edited by AngelaGT
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AngelaGT said:

I think I made the same Broccoli Cheese soup and it was delicious and yes, the site is "horrible."

I also made the rolls from DietDoctor to go with it. The rolls were very good, but a lot of fiber! https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/the-keto-bread

If anyone has the inclination to post links to the recipes listed that would be wonderful (that don't already have links)!  I am new to this so it is great to have resources.  I am getting ready to make a blueberry cream cheese danish https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/low-carb-blueberry-cheese-danish-coffee-cake/

Thanks!

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://therecipecritic.com/creamy-tuscan-garlic-chicken/

Lemon and artichoke chicken

Ingredients

  • 4 tb butter divided
  • 2 shallots
  • 2 c artichoke hearts thawed (or 2 cans artichoke hearts)
  • 14 capers drained
  • 2 lb bone-in, skin-on chicken
  • 2 lemons juiced
  • salt
  • pepper

Directions

preheat 375 (I modify this up to 400)

In Dutch oven, melt 2 tbs butter, add shallots and saute until translucent. Add artichoke hearts, capers, and lemon juice. Stir.

Place chicken in and top with small pat of remaining butter. Place skillet into oven for 45 min.

Edited by sassenach
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

We are nut free here, and Dd is anaphylactic to dairy/DS to avocado, so I have to do a lot of cooking separately and carefully.  We’ve been in a burger rut lately, so thanks for all the inspiration!

Quote

Bunless burgers

 

I have developed a sensitivity to nuts, so I cook a lot with coconut flour. I really like these buns: https://www.wholesomeyum.com/keto-burger-buns-recipe/

Be careful, though, because the link is for 12 buns. I usually halve the recipe.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not currently eating keto, but I'm considering starting again. All the recipes are motivating me!

When I did eat keto, I needed simple dishes with relatively few ingredients but also big on flavor. Rubs and sauces saved me. My favorite rub is from this recipe for sirloin tip roast, but I have used it on other meats.

Both types of north Alabama BBQ sauces are keto friendly. Here is a link to a recipe for a vinegar based sauce. Just omit the brown sugar. It doesn't need it. Actually, true N Al pulled pork doesn't even have butter in the sauce, so you can cut that out too if you are moderating fat. I personally really like the butter in it. 🙂 You don't have to have a smoker either--a slow cooker will do. Just scale down the recipe.

White BBQ sauce is just mayo, cider vinegar, black pepper to taste (pretty good bit), a splash of water, and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Most recipes online have a bunch of unnecessary ingredients. Just mix it to a pourable consistency. Yummy on grilled or roasted chicken. We also eat it at Thanksgiving with roasted turkey. 

 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, popmom said:

I'm not currently eating keto, but I'm considering starting again. All the recipes are motivating me!

When I did eat keto, I needed simple dishes with relatively few ingredients but also big on flavor. Rubs and sauces saved me. My favorite rub is from this recipe for sirloin tip roast, but I have used it on other meats.

Both types of north Alabama BBQ sauces are keto friendly. Here is a link to a recipe for a vinegar based sauce. Just omit the brown sugar. It doesn't need it. Actually, true N Al pulled pork doesn't even have butter in the sauce, so you can cut that out too if you are moderating fat. I personally really like the butter in it. 🙂 You don't have to have a smoker either--a slow cooker will do. Just scale down the recipe.

White BBQ sauce is just mayo, cider vinegar, black pepper to taste (pretty good bit), a splash of water, and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Most recipes online have a bunch of unnecessary ingredients. Just mix it to a pourable consistency. Yummy on grilled or roasted chicken. We also eat it at Thanksgiving with roasted turkey. 

 

Thank you!   I also prefer simple to make.   Thanks for the rub recipe. Tonight I made the Brocolli Cheese Soup mentioned upthread.  It was delicious.   I paired it with a new recipe for Keto bread by HeavenlyFan (she's Vegan Keto).   It was a bit more work than I prefer and was just okay.  I may try to tweek it more because the consistency was similar to real bread (it had yeast), but it was bland.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I gave up on keto when depression about the pandemic hit hard, but a couple of our favorites were...

Green Chicken Enchilada Soup (5 ingredients, super fast to make, I use Frontera salsa verde and canned chicken)

Low Carb Avgolemeno (with spaghetti squash instead of rice or orzo)

I find soup one of the easiest ways to eat keto, and I could eat soup everyday, so we ate a lot of it.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, my husband still eats keto and he loves the Aldi Zero Net Carb Bread for times he really needs bread; like when he craves grilled cheese.  He also uses the Aldi low carb tortillas or Mission whole wheat low carb tortillas to make pizzadillas (tortilla, mozzarella, pepperoni cooked in olive oil on the stovetop and dipped in pizza sauce or blue cheese dressing.)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2020 at 7:56 AM, *Jessica* said:

I gave up on keto when depression about the pandemic hit hard, but a couple of our favorites were...

Green Chicken Enchilada Soup (5 ingredients, super fast to make, I use Frontera salsa verde and canned chicken)

Low Carb Avgolemeno (with spaghetti squash instead of rice or orzo)

I find soup one of the easiest ways to eat keto, and I could eat soup everyday, so we ate a lot of it.

 

I made the green chicken soup tonight- yummy!! Quick and easy and tasted great! Thanks

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2020 at 7:56 AM, *Jessica* said:

I gave up on keto when depression about the pandemic hit hard, but a couple of our favorites were...

Green Chicken Enchilada Soup (5 ingredients, super fast to make, I use Frontera salsa verde and canned chicken)

Low Carb Avgolemeno (with spaghetti squash instead of rice or orzo)

I find soup one of the easiest ways to eat keto, and I could eat soup everyday, so we ate a lot of it.

 

Fantastic Green Chicken Enchilada Soup!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...