Menu

Pancreatitis in Cats

stephanier.1765

You may remember my earlier thread a couple weeks ago about my dying cat having aplastic anemia. I have really started to wonder what I have done so that all these bad things keep happening one after the other. So on Monday, we had to rush our kitten (a different cat) to the vet ER (our vet is closed for the week) because she had been vomiting for 24 hours. She had acted normal after each time but by morning she had become lethargic. After doing an ultrasound, the vet determined she had a foreign body. We transferred her from there (because who can afford those prices!) to several different vets until we found one that would do the surgery at a much reduced rate. They did x-rays to double check that there was a foreign body and did exploratory surgery. Long story short, there was no foreign body but her pancreas was enlarged giving her a diagnosis of pancreatitis. She's home now. She was still vomiting Wednesday evening when we brought her home and a bit still yesterday morning but now it seems to have calmed down. I've done a lot of research on pancreatitis in cats but I'd love to hear from those of you who have been through it. She's only 9 months old so she should have a lot of life ahead of her.

As a side note: the ER vet gave us an estimate of between $3500 and $6000 to do the surgery and after care for 24 hours. The final cost from the vet that did the surgery and after care for 48 hours was $713. 🙀

• Sad 6

16 hours ago, RootAnn said:

Bumping for you as this might have gotten lost in the holiday. So sorry your pets & family are having all these troubles! Hope someone has an answer. 

[Dd#2's cat w/one of the foster kittens]

Thank you. And that is the sweetest picture. What beautiful cats!

I hope someone has some experience with pancreatitis in cats. She still has diarrhea  but is eating well. It's so hard to know what's normal and what's urgent. She has a follow up on Thursday so I hope trying to wait until then is okay. I'm going to try and get our other sick transferred over to them as well. It looks like they are better set up to help sicker pets than my regular vet. At least I hope so.

Here is a picture of Bear in her raggedy cut off sock. She is supposed to wear the cone of shame but she becomes a frozen statue in it so DH and I thought a sock cut off at the end and with some cut leg holes would cover incision enough to keep her from ruining it. So far, so good. 🤞

IMG_2782.jpg

Edited by stephanier.1765
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

I'm so sorry.  What a year you've had.  😞

It's been crazy. I'm so sad all the time. And then I'm mad at myself for being sad because of the awful, rotten things that have happened this year when others have had it so much worse. So much worse! And that makes me sad too. I'd really love to get off this merry-go-round.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, stephanier.1765 said:

It's been crazy. I'm so sad all the time. And then I'm mad at myself for being sad because of the awful, rotten things that have happened this year when others have had it so much worse. So much worse! And that makes me sad too. I'd really love to get off this merry-go-round.

Same here.  

• Like 2