Menu

Need book ideas

klmama

My husband enjoyed Permanent Record by Edward Snowden

I recently read Midnight in Chernobyl by Higginbotham and enjoyed that (although not easy reading and many many Russian names which were hard to keep track of)

Currently reading Kent State by James Michener which is old, for sure, but fascinating. 

Edited by Amethyst
  • Like 1

I've really enjoyed these thought-provoking memoirs. 

Unfollow by Megan Phelps-Roper. She is the granddaughter of the man who started Westboro Baptist Church. She ended up leaving the church in her mid-twenties and it is quite an in-depth introspection.

In Order to Live by Yeonmi Park. It is a harrowing story of how she defected from North Korea. There is so much history about Korea, China, the Soviet Union. Her story is amazing and is filled with as much hope as there is sorrow. She lives in the U.S. now and has a very interesting Youtube channel. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Junie said:

I just finished reading Bonhoeffer by Eric Metaxis.  It was long, but a well-written book about a pastor who lived in Germany during World War II and fought (in his own way) against the Nazis.

YES!  I just finished this as well.  What a thought-provoking, inspirational book.  I actually read it with three of my adult dd's at the same time, so we could discuss.  I'd highly recommend!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I'm rereading the biography Samuel Pepys - The Unequalled Self by Claire Tomalin.  A fascinating book about an extraordinary character and period of history.

I remember my mother reading excerpts of this to me at some point when I was growing up, probably in high school.  It made such an impression on her!  I should read it. 

One of my favorite nonfiction books is The Brother Gardeners: Botany, Empire, and the Birth of an Obsession by Andrea Wulf. (Link is to Goodreads.) Plant collectors in America, England and beyond in the 18th century.  Participants include John and William Bartram, Carl Linnaeus, Captain Cook and others. It's fabulous. History for the plant/garden lover. 

• Like 2

I just finished “The Warmth of Other Suns”, which is a Pulitzer Prize winning, extremely well-written and well-documented book about the Great Migration.  Loved it.  

Am currently reading “Twice As Good”—a well written biography of Condolezza Rice.

Elizabeth Ahlmann’s Bible studies about Ruth and Proverbs 31 are the best I have seen, very in depth, awesome books.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Terabith said:

Okay, wait.  Hold up.  You guys LIKE Metaxis's book on Bonhoeffer???  

He utterly distorted Bonhoeffer's message.  He turns him into an American style evangelical, which is NOT who he was.  

Hmmm.  Well, I liked the book until now?  I knew literally nothing about Bonhoeffer until I read this book, so I wouldn't know if it was distorted or not?  I really didn't see him painted as an American-style evangelical, though...

Try Dietrich Bonhoeffer by Eberhard Bethge.  He was a close friend and confidante of Bonhoeffer's and was also part of the Resistance and the July 20th plot.  It's expensive on amazon, but libraries may have it.  Or just read his Letters and Papers from Prison (Bonhoeffer's).  

Edited by Terabith
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, marbel said:

One of my favorite nonfiction books is The Brother Gardeners: Botany, Empire, and the Birth of an Obsession by Andrea Wulf. (Link is to Goodreads.) Plant collectors in America, England and beyond in the 18th century.  Participants include John and William Bartram, Carl Linnaeus, Captain Cook and others. It's fabulous. History for the plant/garden lover. 

Marbel, your suggestion makes me think you might enjoy this blog post Planting the Seeds of Knowledge.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

I recently reread and enjoyed The Narnian, Alan Jacobs' bio of C. S. Lewis.

I also reread J.I. Packer's classic, Knowing God. So good! 

Bonhoeffer's Life Together is a slim volume that has been profoundly formative in my life.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 2

On 11/25/2020 at 2:11 PM, klmama said:

I'm looking to give some good books this year.  What non-fiction books have you or your adult dc enjoyed?  Of particular interest: history, psychology, Christian faith, relationships, self-improvement.  Thanks for any ideas you can share! 

This Incredible Century by Norman Vincent Peale iirc combines most of those topics!

And of course there are Susan Wise Bauer’s (adult) History books.

I like Martin Gilbert as an historian. And the Penguin History of the World if you want a long book.  

Is your family likely to trend toward Zinn (People’s History) or Schweikart (Patriots’ History) or neither or both?  

Happiness is a Choice by Barry Neil Kaufman is good IMO on self-improvement, other books by Norman Vincent Peale, books by Dennis Prager —  these edge onto relationships and faith also.   Possibly a Love Languages book related to relationships. 

On 11/25/2020 at 5:23 PM, Junie said:

I just finished reading Bonhoeffer by Eric Metaxis.  It was long, but a well-written book about a pastor who lived in Germany during World War II and fought (in his own way) against the Nazis.

On 11/26/2020 at 9:51 AM, Terabith said:

Try Dietrich Bonhoeffer by Eberhard Bethge.  He was a close friend and confidante of Bonhoeffer's and was also part of the Resistance and the July 20th plot.  It's expensive on amazon, but libraries may have it.  Or just read his Letters and Papers from Prison (Bonhoeffer's).  

All are worth reading

• Like 1

On 11/25/2020 at 7:23 PM, Junie said:

This is very good, and I also love the Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom. 

Also, I read The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains by Nicholas Carr

The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry by John Mark Comer

• Like 1

On 11/26/2020 at 12:30 AM, Terabith said:

Okay, wait.  Hold up.  You guys LIKE Metaxis's book on Bonhoeffer???  

He utterly distorted Bonhoeffer's message.  He turns him into an American style evangelical, which is NOT who he was.  

Yeah, I didn't take that away from Metaxis's book on Bonhoeffer either.