Menu

Weird? Church Excludes Announcements From Streaming Service

Ordinary Shoes

I think this is strange. Do you agree? 

This is our former crazy church. Since services resumed after the shut-downs, they have been cutting off the streaming before the announcements. We have some friends who still attend there via the streaming services and this really annoyed them. Someone finally asked about it and the explanation was that it is intentional because the announcements are only for the people who attend physically. 

The church also stopped publishing the bulletin on the website and the bulletin is not always published. You can only get it if you are signed up on the email list. So basically there is no way you can know what is happening at the church unless you physically attend. 

Do other churches do this? 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Patty Joanna said:

I would agree—but right now, other than services that are in the church website calendar, we are not having that many events.  As in zero.  Alas. 

Fair point. So I guess the announcements would be about people? I can see those mentioned not wanting that “out there”.

• Like 1

I can see there being privacy concerns with streaming and online bulletins. It does seem like some kind of email bulletin could be sent to members, or a private  Facebook group created, but maybe no one has thought of that or is willing to take on the extra work.  

19 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

I think this is strange. Do you agree? 

This is our former crazy church. Since services resumed after the shut-downs, they have been cutting off the streaming before the announcements. We have some friends who still attend there via the streaming services and this really annoyed them. Someone finally asked about it and the explanation was that it is intentional because the announcements are only for the people who attend physically. 

The church also stopped publishing the bulletin on the website and the bulletin is not always published. You can only get it if you are signed up on the email list. So basically there is no way you can know what is happening at the church unless you physically attend. 

Do other churches do this? 

It seems very appropriate to me especially since this may include prayer requests that may be private to the church body.  I wondered about this when we were shut down.  Our church was unable to stream any services so we were watching another church's services and I wondered how people felt about their prayer requests being announced on the internet.

OTOH, I've been purposefully watching the announcements of the streaming services from the church where my son attends the associated school. They are broadcasting their announcements and prayer request.  Since they are not following covid guidelines, it gives me a way to check on how much covid may or may not be circulating in that community. 

Pre-covid, our church had recorded sermons, but they were, from what I understand, recorded live in front of the Sunday AM crowd. I don't know if they included announcements. 

Now, we have a pre-recorded message of our pastor talking to the pews vs. a recording of him in one of the distanced services they offer. 

I don't like. It feels very different.

We might get a newsletter via e-mail every month or so (used to be weekly, I believe).

They are doing fewer things, but there is definitely a vibe of if you want to know what's going on, you should be there. It's sad because I think there are ways those of us at-home could be included, but I think they've decided they're doing enough. 

Because we live in a hotspot for anti-maskers, a COVID hotspot, and a bleeding red area, I really don't know what church is going to be like if/when we go back. I suspect we'll be finding a new church or feel years out of step when we go back. I am truly afraid we'll be seen as slackers, at best, when we return. Or we'll be pitied--you know, the weaker brethren who are offended at everything.

If they are doing Zoom studies or anything like that, they sure aren't telling us. I can only assume they think that those of us at home have no fellowship needs or desire to serve that we can't arrange ourselves (yet, even "distanced" things here are not really distanced because we're in anti-science land"). I think that's a bit weird given that most people don't have the fancier versions of Zoom where we can host larger meetings. We generally have the free version with time limits and where we can tune into just one other person from our end. 

• Sad 2

I am somewhat at fault for being out of step in one regard--my former Sunday School class (not sure if it's meeting--I think they are doing services only and not Sunday School, but I don't know that for sure because no one is saying) has a special site and login for prayer, and I never joined. I didn't want yet another login to keep track of when they could just e-mail requests to people like everyone else, lol! 

I did ask that if they started a Zoom study or something like that, would they please let me know. I believe they had started something, but when the church went back to in-person services with seating limits, etc. that made it hard to find a Zoom time on Sunday AM that worked for all. But the least they could've done would be to tell me what they ended up doing. 

I find that odd. I occasionally watch 2 different churches' services (one in my town, one in a different state). Both have the announcements - ie: food pantry goods can be dropped off 9-5 on Thursday; kids will be taking them to the dropoff place on Friday. Or we have a need for X in the community; Linda will be heading that up. Reach out to her (no number given online) to assist. FWIW, one does prayer requests, one does not. 

Announcements to me doesn't mean prayer requests - those are done at a different time in most liturgical churches. Announcements are what fundaraisers are happening, changes to schedule, upcoming events, etc. 

We DO stream those and they are also in the weekly email newsletter, and in the bulliten that is sent in a separate email on Sunday morning (or there is a link to it in the description of the live youtube stream). 

Oh, and all prayer intentions are first name only - always, even for the President, Bishop, etc. No last names ever. And are not specific - just those who are ill in body or spirit with a list of names and then a separate prayer for those who have died, with a list of first names. So nothing like, "pray for Joe Smith and the boil on his backside, and Sandra Sue whose husband left her" or anything. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1

If indeed it is intentional, it is hurtful and mean-spirited. That a church would try to lure people back in the midst of a pandemic is incredibly selfish to say the least. But I can’t work up a lot of indignation until I know who the source was - just another parishioner, or someone in position of power to make the decision?

Our congregation does that but it is over concerns for privacy issues. Since the broadcast is on FB live, anyone can watch, and most people wouldn't want their personal details revealed. The congregation does mail out their bulletin, so everyone gets the news. We also have a prayer chain call out system, but some request their their info to go out to everyone while others don't want that. 

1 hour ago, Bambam said:

Our congregation does that but it is over concerns for privacy issues. Since the broadcast is on FB live, anyone can watch, and most people wouldn't want their personal details revealed. The congregation does mail out their bulletin, so everyone gets the news. We also have a prayer chain call out system, but some request their their info to go out to everyone while others don't want that. 

Do they just not share the prayer requests or do you mean events, scheduling info, etc isn't shared? I got the impression the OP meant things like say, where to drop off toys for the angel tree, what time the christmas service will be, when the next Bible study is, etc. 

3 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Do they just not share the prayer requests or do you mean events, scheduling info, etc isn't shared? I got the impression the OP meant things like say, where to drop off toys for the angel tree, what time the christmas service will be, when the next Bible study is, etc. 

All that info (events, scheduling info, personal announcements (This person is sick, this person is recovering, etc) is all in the bulletin that is mailed to those who have requested it.  The personal updates (this person is sick, this person has an operation scheduled, etc) - that info is shared after the streaming is cut off.  Why would you not want everyone to be aware of all events so they could decide if they could participate (from a safety and health standpoint)? 

19 minutes ago, Bambam said:

All that info (events, scheduling info, personal announcements (This person is sick, this person is recovering, etc) is all in the bulletin that is mailed to those who have requested it.  The personal updates (this person is sick, this person has an operation scheduled, etc) - that info is shared after the streaming is cut off.  Why would you not want everyone to be aware of all events so they could decide if they could participate (from a safety and health standpoint)? 

This church rarely rarely mentioned people's names in the announcements. It was more things like "Sunday school begins next week"or "sign up for this." 

My theory is that this is a way of punishing the people who don't attend in person and that they are having activities that they should not be having now. 

• Like 1

Hmmm...  I think a lot of churches who recorded their sermons to view online PRE-COVID only recorded the sermon part.  They probably figured people were viewing them sometimes weeks or even months after they were recorded, and were really only interested in the sermons.  

It's different now of course, since those recordings now actually take the place of the entire service for many people.  But, maybe they're just continuing to record them the way they always have?  It sounds like you can still get the bulletin online if you've registered your email with them though, correct?  Perhaps they're just overly concerned about privacy...

I don't have a problem with leaving out announcements during the online service. First of all, it's unlikely that there's too many (any?) events going on that someone might miss. At my church, the announcements are in the bulletin and, since many people are watching onlne, the bulletin is emailed to anyone signed up to get email from the church or the information about events or schedule changes can be found on the church website or Facebook page. Second, the services remain online and people can watch them at any time, possibly even weeks, months, or years from now. Announcing something is going to happen next week is just confusing.