Menu

Milk, toilet paper or bread

saraha

My dd who works at the grocery store just texted and said "Please tell me we don't need milk, toilet paper or bread". Happily I said "Nope" Must be busy in that little grocery store today. I wonder if it's because it's raining and people are choosing not to drive to the Kroger one town over that is the only "big" store in the county.

• Like 1

By the time I picked her up, she said they had sold out of so much stuff that people were getting angry, and she got off at 2:00! I am so glad that I don't need to be in a store until well after the Thanksgiving holidays are over!

However you are celebrating Thanksgiving this year, I hope it is a great day for you!

Edited by saraha
  • Like 1

Interesting. I went into my local store tonight, and everything looked like normal, except for paper towels, tp, and Lysol. They were completely out of paper towels, very low on tp, and Lysol has been inconsistent for months. I have no idea wth the deal is with paper towels. People are idiots.

I’m kind of fascinated by the paper towel thing.
I ran into the supermarket late yesterday afternoon because my Walmart order had been a total mess. I just needed a couple of things, so I didn’t even have to grab a cart or basket, and didn’t wander around to see what other aisles looked like, except I just had to check out the paper goods aisle.
Toilet paper was almost 100% completely normal. Charmin, Angel Soft, whatever you wanted.  The paper towel side was completely stocked... with really crappy paper towels.  I mean, there were signs up for limits on “normal” brands, which they didn’t have, but they added signs for this junk that said no limits, and had special prices for entire cases of 36 or maybe 42 rolls. I grabbed a single roll just because I couldn’t resist, but I haven’t opened it yet. It’s thinner and squishier than Walmart’s generic brand.

Anyway, my brain is craving an explanation. I have a hard time believing it’s a “hoarding” issue, since toilet paper is plentiful by comparison. How did TP recover, but PT is remaining so behind? Their processes and resources can’t possibly be THAT different. And their demand can’t be *that lopsided, can it? It seems so strange to me.

As for the supermarket itself, it was pretty busy, but this was the first time I’ve been there where pretty much everyone maintained a good amount of social distancing and patience. And that is NOT typical of that store on the day before a holiday!

16 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Anyway, my brain is craving an explanation. I have a hard time believing it’s a “hoarding” issue, since toilet paper is plentiful by comparison. How did TP recover, but PT is remaining so behind? Their processes and resources can’t possibly be THAT different. And their demand can’t be *that lopsided, can it? It seems so strange to me.

I think it might be a panic buying thing around here.  Our stores were fine for tp and pt for months and months, (no limits, very full shelves), until articles popped up in the media about "panic buying is back!". Well, it wasn't back here until the media put the bug in everyone's ear! My local store tried to combat the panic buying a little, by placing limits and making sure the shelves always looked stocked with something, so people wouldn't see an empty shelf and freak out. It still didn't seem to help. 🤷‍♀️  So all the paper towels are gone, but the off-brand disinfectant cleaners are in such good supply that my store is selling them B1G1. 🤷‍♀️

Almost everyone at my store was wearing a mask yesterday, but social distancing was non-existent. I will probably switch to pick-up orders only until after New Year's. 

• Like 1