Menu

T-day food prep

Sneezyone

My recipe says it can be done the way you describe, just bake longer since it will be cold from the fridge.

We sub GF bread, so the one time I tried to prep the day ahead, we ended up with mush.  So GF bread does not work well that way, though I think regular bread would be fine.  

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Spryte said:

My recipe says it can be done the way you describe, just bake longer since it will be cold from the fridge.

We sub GF bread, so the one time I tried to prep the day ahead, we ended up with mush.  So GF bread does not work well that way, though I think regular bread would be fine.  

Thanks. I dried the cornbread and bread cubes really well in the oven the day before and didn’t use a TON of broth in the liquid. I’m gonna try it with a gentle toss and wrap for tomorrow. Hopefully it works. We only have a small 8x8 amount so I don’t want to ruin it. Lol.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

I can’t help you, as I’m sitting here trying to figure out my own dressing problems, 🙄😂but yours looks delicious! Last year I messed our dressing (not stuffing) up royally, so now I’m literally sitting here reading the back of a corn meal bag to figure out how to do this right. 😆

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, mmasc said:

I can’t help you, as I’m sitting here trying to figure out my own dressing problems, 🙄😂but yours looks delicious! Last year I messed our dressing (not stuffing) up royally, so now I’m literally sitting here reading the back of a corn meal bag to figure out how to do this right. 😆

YOU CAN DO IT!! I have no idea if this is true I’m just providing moral support. ☺️ What do you usually put in it?

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Haha 1

The traditional family cornbread dressing recipe is simple, in theory. It involves some cooked cornbread a day or two in advance, very finely chopped onion and celery, S&P, ground sage, a can of cream of chicken soup, chicken broth “to make it the right consistency”, and an egg. 

8 minutes ago, mmasc said:

The traditional family cornbread dressing recipe is simple, in theory. It involves some cooked cornbread a day or two in advance, very finely chopped onion and celery, S&P, ground sage, a can of cream of chicken soup, chicken broth “to make it the right consistency”, and an egg. 

Pretty much the same as mine. It’s all eyeballed. Sometimes I switch it up and use cubed sourdough and potato bread with the cornbread, like this year. I had old bread I needed to get rid of. Sometimes I add sausage and apples. I use 1/2 and 1/2 and broth instead of soup (same-same) and fresh herbs. You really can do this! 💪🏽 Just make sure your cornbread is nice and dry.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

Does anyone have a recipe that does not call for cornbread or poultry seasoning, or meat? I can't find marjoram to make my own piultry seasoning and I hope I can find celery. I am so nervous about dressing. I usually use Stove Top with extra onion/celery. 

Edited by Chris in VA

47 minutes ago, Chris in VA said:

Does anyone have a recipe that does not call for cornbread or poultry seasoning, or meat? I can't find marjoram to make my own piultry seasoning and I hope I can find celery. I am so nervous about dressing. I usually use Stove Top with extra onion/celery. 

You can sub oregano for marjoram in your own seasoning if you have it, or just omit it! If it’s scarce in local stores, check the ethnic section for Badia packets. You can also sub a bit of celery seed for celery to good effect. This is a good base recipe. https://www.cookingclassy.com/stuffing-recipe/

Edited by Sneezyone

2 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

You can sub oregano for marjoram in your own seasoning if you have it, or just omit it! If it’s scarce in local stores, check the ethnic section for Badia packets. You can also sub a bit of celery seed for celery to good effect. This is a good base recipe. https://www.cookingclassy.com/stuffing-recipe/

LOL They don't have ethnic sections in Palestinian grocery stores😁

Thx for the tips!

• Like 1

I have a question: y'all are talking about crispy crust...I always think of stuffing as a fairly moist dish, although I do not stuff the bird.  I place my stuffing in a shallow baking dish (9x13), and bake about 30 mins covered.  So, to get this crisp crust, with what I assuming to be a moist interior, please tell me your baking dish size/type and length of time baking it, and whether covered or not, etc.  Thanks!

Op, I have done everything from all ahead, as you are doing, prep the veggies in butter and mix that day, to complete prep right b/f baking.  As you can see from my question above, I guess I am not a stuffing connoisseur.

5 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

If you like the flavor profile of stovetop, it’s my opinion that sage is MUCH more important than marjoram. I wouldn’t worry at all about skipping marjoram. If I didn’t grow it, I’d make a special trip for sage. 

You guys have inspired me to start my stuffing early. I think I’ll do the chopping and sautéing a day ahead and just combine to bake on the big day. 

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 4

Thanks to your post, stuffing is made and in the fridge for tomorrow. You also inspired me to:

Peel and cut potatoes- they're in water on stove top for cooking and mashing tomorrow

Sweet potatoes cleaned and in IP with water all ready to turn on.

Green bean casserole made and in fridge

----

Cranberry is in fridge and chilling

Turkey is brining and bread roll dough is rising too.

Happy Thanksgiving!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Familia said:

I have a question: y'all are talking about crispy crust...I always think of stuffing as a fairly moist dish, although I do not stuff the bird.  I place my stuffing in a shallow baking dish (9x13), and bake about 30 mins covered.  So, to get this crisp crust, with what I assuming to be a moist interior, please tell me your baking dish size/type and length of time baking it, and whether covered or not, etc.  Thanks!

Op, I have done everything from all ahead, as you are doing, prep the veggies in butter and mix that day, to complete prep right b/f baking.  As you can see from my question above, I guess I am not a stuffing connoisseur.

With my dressing the top is nice and toasted as well as the bottom. We don’t like a really wet dressing, it’s more steamed and fluffy. I like to see the chunks of bread and veg in it. When I combine it the day of, I bake it in an oval casserole dish, a little smaller than 9x13, covered for about 25 minutes then uncover it for another 15-20 until it’s golden brown on top. I also put it on the lower rack b/c I like a bit of crust to form on the bottom too. This years experiment with prepping is TBD but I’m hopeful. We made a much smaller amount, only 8x8 and I am bringing it back to room temp this am. I think I will reduce the covered time by 5 min. And see how that works out.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

If you like the flavor profile of stovetop, it’s my opinion that sage is MUCH more important than marjoram. I wouldn’t worry at all about skipping marjoram. If I didn’t grow it, I’d make a special trip for sage. 

You guys have inspired me to start my stuffing early. I think I’ll do the chopping and sautéing a day ahead and just combine to bake on the big day. 

I agree with this.

It's said that oregano is the closest substitute but they're totally different flavors to me. I'd go with thyme, sage, or parsley if I had it instead. It would be different but I know I'd like it better than oregano.

Edited by Pippen

7 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

Did this go okay? I've only ever kept my precut potatoes in water *in the fridge* overnight. I assumed the cold was essential. 

Putting them outside where it's cool and the turkey was brining would have been best, but I didn't think about it. The color is great, but bacteria. 😬 I'll be sure to change the water and rinse them well and, of course, boil them well.,

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Familia said:

I use the same dish and cooking time but don't cover. It has a bit of crisp. I'm not sure if there's a better way. Would like to know the secret as well!

• Like 2

DH was completely puzzled about crispy and wondered why I asked.  HIs memories are of his grandmother’s (actually stuffed) stuffing.  IMO, that is a bit over the top moist (aka, kinda gross=).  

I went for a crispy by baking uncovered for last 15.  Really turned out good - moist AND crispy!

• Like 4