Menu

Share: Italian Renaissance syllabus

Here's the syllabus I made for DD as she studies the Italian Renaissance. We're using a book from the Lucent World History series by Karen Osman (entitled, appropriately, "The Italian Renaissance." I actually don't love the book, but didn't have time to find a different source (library access is limited these days with the pandemic).  My goal was to give her an overview of the characters, events, and ideas of the period.

DD mostly sketches pictorial note pages for history.  I don't expect her to write out answers to the question prompts - they are more to help focus her reading, and for us to discuss verbally. 

The syllabus is designed to be completed over 4 weeks.

In general, I have been really pleased with the Lucent series.  There are some that are better than others (Reformation by Flowers and Renaissance by Corrick were excellent - perfect for middle school). Elizabethan England was...meh.  This one (Italian Renaissance) is a little choppy, but DD likes it well enough, and it gets the job done.

If you have other good resources for the Italian Renaissance, please share!

And, if you find any errors or inaccuracies, please let me know! I'm no expert in this field, so any glaring errors are errors of ignorance 🙂

Italian Renaissance Syllabus_7th Grade_2020-4.pdf.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is really nicely done. Thank you for sharing!

If you're looking for more art to look at by the artists you've identified, Vasari's The Great Masters (the one I have is printed by Beaux Arts Editions) is a lovely book.

Edited by Publia
  • Like 2

Because of this thread, I lay awake half of Friday night thinking about the Italian Renaissance.  🙂

@Publia, that book looks wonderful!  I just put it on hold at the library for myself.

@JHLWTM, would you like another suggestion for more music?  The madrigal is really important to study for the time period, but I'd also really recommend something by Palestrina.  A frequently assigned piece for study is the "Gloria" from his Pope Marcellus Mass.  That would also give you a sacred piece in addition to a secular piece.  (Both are important for Renaissance music.)  Palestrina is really easy on the ears, because his sound is very smooth and homogenous.  You may want to add in questions about how the Renaissance ideals in music of balance, proportion, and harmony reflected society as a whole, or about how the general rise in welfare of the people allowed a flourishing of culture and sophistication of technique in the arts.  

Have fun!  I've had fun trying to remember back to my college early music class for this reply.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JHLWTM said:

Thank you, @Quarter Note! I didn't realize that a madrigal was by definition a secular piece. (The Osman book doesn't go into that much detail).  You had me googling more about it. I'm going to play the Palestrina for my kids this morning!

I'm so glad that you and your kids tried the Palestrina "Gloria"!  By the way, don't worry if they didn't like it.  Early music sometimes takes a while to grow on a person.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2020 at 4:09 PM, Publia said:

This is really nicely done. Thank you for sharing!

If you're looking for more art to look at by the artists you've identified, Vasari's The Great Masters (the one I have is printed by Beaux Arts Editions) is a lovely book.

I couldn't find this in our library's catalog, but did find it at abebooks.com for $3.69. 

@Publia, does the Beaux Art edition have both reproductions of the paintings and the biographical sketches of the artists? I can't find an inside page view of this edition (some other editions are text only).

Yes, it has pictures of paintings, plus some sculptures and architecture, and Vasari’s text. There are many images and they are very good quality. I bought it for the pictures. It’s a big, heavy book (probably 14 in tall), and some of the pages fold out. The ISBN is 0-88363-302-7. Less than $4 is a great deal! However, if you really want to read Vasari’s text, you might also want a book that’s easier to hold in your hand.

But apropos of the other thread, the dust cover is The Birth of Venus, and she’s there in all her resplendent perfection, as are many others. 😉

• Thanks 1