Menu

What do you know about ventless dryers?

stephanier.1765

On top of our craptastic year, we got home last night from an emergency with our kitten to discover that our dryer has broken. DH wants a ventless dryer since our vent is hard on dryers. It takes a direct 90 degree angle straight to the roof. Gravity is not our friend. But despite the vent problems, I can't say I'm impressed by what I'm reading about them. One of the biggest drawbacks for me, aside from price, is how noisy they are. Our basic dryer we have now already makes watching TV difficult so I can't imagine throwing something even worse into the mix. I just want a basic, get my clothes dry, kind of dryer. But if you all agree with DH, then I'll go check them out.

What says the Hive mind? Thanks!

8 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

Is the lint buildup a problem?  

It can be if we don't get back there and clean it out. I've tried cleaning it out from the roof and from the ground and it'll seem like we got it all but the dryer doesn't perform any better. I'm a stickler about cleaning lint from the machine too. It's a strange, aggravating system that we've dealt with for 30 long years. My next house, if there is a next house, will not vent through the roof.

5 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I am happy with our ventless dryer. It's not noisy and I  like being able to get to all the lint. It has a double lint filter - one I clean out every time and one I clean out weekly.

Is yours one that you have to dump the water out as well? That doesn't bother me, just curious as to how it works. I had never heard of ventless dryers until yesterday.

13 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I had never heard of ventless dryers until yesterday.

I had never heard of them until a couple years ago when I was staying at an Airbnb in Munich with my dc and could not figure out why the combination washer/dryer wouldn't dry. It was going to be a problem since it was too humid to effectively air dry. That night in a dream state it occurred to me that there was no vent, and therefore it probably needed some kind of attention in that department. 

Presumably you can't "just" reroute the dryer vent to a side wall. It would be a good excuse to buy a hole saw, if either of you enjoys collecting power tools. 😄

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Is yours one that you have to dump the water out as well? That doesn't bother me, just curious as to how it works. I had never heard of ventless dryers until yesterday.

Our one has two options.  Either you have a thin tube that is plumbed into a drain (here it's usually plumbed into the same drain as the washing machine) or there's a box that fills up with water that you dump out.  Dumping it out is very easy.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SusanC said:

I had never heard of them until a couple years ago when I was staying at an Airbnb in Munich with my dc and could not figure out why the combination washer/dryer wouldn't dry. It was going to be a problem since it was too humid to effectively air dry. That night in a dream state it occurred to me that there was no vent, and therefore it probably needed some kind of attention in that department. 

Presumably you can't "just" reroute the dryer vent to a side wall. It would be a good excuse to buy a hole saw, if either of you enjoys collecting power tools. 😄

Washer-dryers are a different thing.  They just don't work well - it's a poor design overall.

My washer died a month ago.  I was offered  a great deal on a dented floor model GE washer/electric dryer (120v) all in one.  It is ventless.  I like it  a lot. Both the wash cycle and dry cycle are quieter than my old units. Does not have a lint filter. But recommends cleaning the pump filter each month. The drawback to the combo is that the wash/ dry cycle is 3.5 hours.  Somewhat inconvenient, but the space savings make up for it. 

• Like 1

We have a ventless dryer.  I think it's probably pretty common among apartment dwellers in Europe!  I've had no issues with it, and we've had it for 14 years.  There was an option to plumb the dryer so the water flowed into the shower drain, but we decided to just empty the water container each time.  It is literally right next to our bathroom sink, so it is extremely easy to do.  I will occasionally forget, but it can hold about two loads worth of water, so it's not a big deal.  I get the impression it dries more slowly than a vent dryer, and it is loud, but I can't really compare it since it's the only dryer I've used regularly as a full-fledged adult.  

• Like 1