Menu

Home gym, dumbbells, weight bench

matrips

Good luck on finding anything. It's very hard to find free weights right now. I don't care for the dumbbells at Dicks Sporting Goods. Target's are nice but pricey. Walmart dumbbells are a good value if you can find them in stock. Also consider kettle bells, slam balls, wall balls, anything you can find. Once you get the item, you can google for exercises and workouts using it.

Spartan has a free Kids Training plan with different levels/ages.

https://dailyburn.com/life/fitness/crossfit-slam-ball-workout/  An example of what you can do with a wall ball. So don't worry if you can't find what you wanted and make work what you can get.

AthleanX had some videos early on with covid about a workout you could do with *no* equipment. He was showing how to place a rod between two chairs. You could install a pull up bar in a doorway. https://www.amazon.com/Iron-Gym-Total-Upper-Workout/dp/B001EJMS6K/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1Y6ST0CICBJOF&dchild=1&keywords=doorway+pull+up+bar&qid=1606271001&sprefix=doorway+pul%2Caps%2C191&sr=8-5 You can then look for instructions on steps to getting a pullup.

https://athleanx.com/articles/the-perfect-home-workout-one-month-plan  There's the no equipment workout, and it's pretty vigorous if done as written!

https://www.amazon.com/Mens-Health-Your-Body-Barbell/dp/1623363837/ref=sr_1_9?crid=3805OMLUEAYZ5&dchild=1&keywords=bodyweight+exercise+book&qid=1606270448&sprefix=bodyweight+exer%2Caps%2C182&sr=8-9  Our library system has this book. Plenty in that vein.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YSthtwHNPc  More ideas for things you can do with minimal equipment. 

https://8fit.com/fitness/tabata-exercises-that-work-total-body-workouts-for-beginners-and-advanced/  dynamic movements you can do without equipment

https://vimeo.com/113329409  This guy has a list of exercises (again no equipment) to build strength. It's targeted at runners.

Don't underestimate the value of basic things like stepping up onto a chair/bench, push-ups, and burpees. If you want a good laugh, here's a video of a guy who did burpees everyday for x number days...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnqO8sh7ztc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, matrips said:

Our play it again sports has tons of hand weights and dumbbells. What do I look for?  Neoprene/metal?  Are really better than others?

I think it's just preference and how much space you have.  I don't have a lot of space, so I have two adjustable dumbbells.  If I had a ton of space (and money) a rack full would be lovely - I miss the ones at the gym that I didn't have to keep changing, but the adjustable ones are ideal for the space I have.  Kettlebells are also nice.  I've been thinking about getting one or two, but my, they are expensive!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, matrips said:

Our play it again sports has tons of hand weights and dumbbells. What do I look for?  Neoprene/metal?  Are really better than others?

Only lower weights are coated with neoprene. So like 5, 8, 10, maybe 12. See what feels good in your hand. I would definitely buy anything higher you can get (10, 12, 15, 20, 25, higher if you want) because you'll grow into them. Make sure you're getting pairs if possible. 

Resale is a great idea btw!! I hadn't thought to look in the big city for that. Great idea. 

Well good luck on your shopping trip!! If you find a wall ball (about 24" round), definitely snag it. I SO want one. Actually, I want the right wall to use it on, lol. We have books on the wall that would be perfect in our basement. Wall balls are the BOMB for getting strong. You're working your lower body, upper body, core, getting cardio. Just so good for women. And they make it easy to fall into a HIIT type routine, because you can do your wall balls, do something easier, go back to them, making rotations. 

You want things where you're using weight in motion. So lunges with weight, stepping up onto a chair with weight, etc. And when you a picking up the weights, you'll have a sense of how much you'd want to be holding for doing those tasks. But don't underbuy on weight because they can be hard to find. You'll go up as you get stronger. Like you might start with 10 pounds but work up to 35lb. 

Have fun!

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, matrips said:

I personally like the neoprene-coated weights in fixed amounts. I do have, from many years ago, adjustable dumbbells that use standard plates, but I dislike them very much for my use, because I only use a few denominations and changing the weights over and over gets old fast. I mostly use the 5lb., 8lb. And 10lbs. Some of these I bought at Sports Authority years ago and some were bought at Target a few years ago (for my dd). 

The weight bench I use is ancient, so I’m sure it’s irrelevant for you now. I bought it when I was 18, lol, when Joe Weider and his plastic-Barbie wife were the big weight-lifting gurus. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, matrips said:

Good to know. I wouldn’t have thought to buy heavier weights. I need to look up wall balls.  Is it like a yoga ball?

Well around here, at least in new stores, I can hardly find weights. I really dislike the ones at Dicks, because they have slippery hand areas. There's no way I would use them safely. 

But yeah, of course you're going to get stronger! See how it feels to you, but you'll probably find that you yourself will use 3 or more different weights for one workout. You're not equally strong all over, and if you don't buy a range you'll strain and hurt yourself. So that's why I was suggesting you look for: 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, etc. How high you go beyond that depends on your people and how it feels to them. It would be smart to buy 1-2 steps up from what feels comfortable. 

One of the things you can do with higher weights is a farmer carry. You're literally just going to CARRY the weight at your side, like buckets of water. So you can do this with an amount that is maybe too heavy right now to do say bicep curls, but you'll still be getting use out of it! It's building grip strength, giving you cardio, good for your core. 

Having multiple weights also allows you to do things with two different weights at the same time, which will engage your core. So you can do something simple like lunges, but do them with two different weights. Now your CORE is engaging to stabilize you! When I do that, I usually keep them a step apart. So I might lunge with a 12 on one side, 15 on the other. It's something the PT had me doing for my back. 

If you do skull crushers (triceps behind your head), you can either use two low weights or one higher weight. So again, think through the logic of it. I have 15 and 20 pounds and a 35 pound pair I was able to scavenge when corona started. So I can do skull crushers with 30 pounds (15X2), 35 pounds (1X35) or 40 pounds (2X20). This means I can keep going forward. You might start with 10 pounds for a skull crusher, then 16 (using the 2X8 pounds I suggested), then 20, then 24 (2X12), then 30 (2X15). 

So you'll find ways to use lighter weights and higher weights and combinations of weights, yes. You'll feel it out. I would just take the plunge for whatever is affordable that you can find. Around here, gyms have been open, but the stores are still sold out. They've threatened to close gyms, so I'm sure whatever is left will disappear if that happens. I went ahead and bought an exercise bike (recumbent), because I did that at the gym and have not gone back. You can make work anything you've got (stairs, etc.)

No, a wall ball is typically sewn leather, about 24" in diameter. It will come in weights, and you can go by your comfort. I happen to really like wall balls, hehe. You might start with say 10 pounds or whatever seems comfortable. They're a bit more of an investment. Medicine balls are smaller (10-12" diameter) and a plastic type exterior. They can break if you're too rough. Ask me how I know lol. But they're fine too and some people like them. 

Just go with what you like and what you're drawn to! 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Quill said:

The weight bench I use

I've been thinking about getting one. I definitely think if op finds a deal, it could be good. They're a safe way to step up, and I don't have anything right now to step up on that I feel really secure about. At the gym they used padded restaurant type chairs against a wall. That would work. I just don't like feeling wobbly or like I'm going to slip. Obviously a bench is also a good way to do other things. But mainly it's that stupid stepping up. We sit a lot, so we always need to work our GLUTS!  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Quill said:

I do have, from many years ago, adjustable dumbbells that use standard plates, but I dislike them very much for my use

Yup. I tried my dh's from his teen years, and I HATED them. Too easy to poke myself, have things twist off, get hurt. I was definitely not safe using them, lol. Of course, I also get concussions on vacation, so I'm not a terribly safe person apparently. But I agree, you really want to avoid them if you can. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Tip of the day. Buy yourself a notebook to write your plan for the week in. I don't even write it ahead, shh. I just alternate upper and lower body days and log as I go. I don't have the brain power to keep track of sets and weights, so it just keeps me all on track. And it makes you feel sort of OFFICIAL, like woo woo you're serious.

Do not underestimate the gains you will make with small, consistent effort! Work out, stretch, and WRITE IT DOWN! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PeterPan said:

I've been thinking about getting one. I definitely think if op finds a deal, it could be good. They're a safe way to step up, and I don't have anything right now to step up on that I feel really secure about. At the gym they used padded restaurant type chairs against a wall. That would work. I just don't like feeling wobbly or like I'm going to slip. Obviously a bench is also a good way to do other things. But mainly it's that stupid stepping up. We sit a lot, so we always need to work our GLUTS!  

Stepping up as in standing on the floor and stepping up onto the bench? I couldn’t do that in my dizziest daydream! It’s much too high an angle. It would be like trying to skip over two stairtreds. I don’t use the bench for that. The main benefit of the bench for me is to do bench press or flys. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Quill said:

Stepping up as in standing on the floor and stepping up onto the bench? I couldn’t do that in my dizziest daydream! It’s much too high an angle. It would be like trying to skip over two stairtreds. I don’t use the bench for that. The main benefit of the bench for me is to do bench press or flys. 

LOL, yes, anything about two stair steps up is about right for working the boo-tay and getting those gluts engaged. A chair, stairs, toy bench (what I've been using, wow does it creak!), anything secure. 

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/a19943891/workout-bench-moves/  For op, a list of great things you can do with a bench, even as a beginner. 

If you look *really carefully* you can see she's using *weights* for her Step Up exercises on the bench. And you know, she's stepping up *parallel* to the bench, which is super smart. That way it won't wobble. 

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Quill said:

You can do bench press and flys on the floor too if you do a hip bridge at the same time.  That's what I've been doing since I've been stuck at home, since I don't have space for a bench.

We step up onto the weight bench all the time at the gym.  It's maybe 12" high, or a bit more?  I use a step-stool for this purpose at home.  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

If you do skull crushers (triceps behind your head), you can either use two low weights or one higher weight. So again, think through the logic of it. I have 15 and 20 pounds and a 35 pound pair I was able to scavenge when corona started. So I can do skull crushers with 30 pounds (15X2), 35 pounds (1X35) or 40 pounds (2X20). This means I can keep going forward. You might start with 10 pounds for a skull crusher, then 16 (using the 2X8 pounds I suggested), then 20, then 24 (2X12), then 30 (2X15). 

This is why I want some kettlebells - for heavier stuff when I use both hands, or for deadlifts and suitcase carries - I'd be okay with a slightly different weight in each hand for that because $$$ to get two!  I'd love a 30#, a 35#, and a 40#.

My adjustable weights go from 5-25 each in 5# increments but you can get down to 2.5# if you don't mind them being a bit lopsided.  I usually use from 15-25 now, which I did work up to.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Help me think here, what does this look like? You mean like in IKEA $7 step that you put in front of your sink for your kids to brush their teeth? Something else? I'm sorta a big girl... 

It's a wood and woven rattan stool I got at a farmer's market that I have used for years to reach the high cabinets in the kitchen.  I drag it in to another room for step-up days.  Gotta use what's on hand...

I also use it for step-down toe taps (those get the glutes!) and things like elevated push-ups and running man when those are in rotation...

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

The main gift for everyone in our family is some basement gym equipment. The basement has a low ceiling and we use our swing set to do pull-ups so I bought this simple bench, which gets great reviews and seems like good value for the price:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Everyday-Essentials-Steel-Frame-Flat-Weight-Training-Exercise-Bench-600-Pound-Capacity/183753990?athcpid=183753990&athpgid=athenaItemPage&athcgid=null&athznid=PWVAV&athieid=v0&athstid=CS020&athguid=347b812a-006-176003c23931d9&athancid=null&athena=true

This flooring:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMaster-Gray-24-in-x-24-in-x-0-47-Foam-Interlocking-Gym-Grage-Flooring-24-sq-ft-6-Pack-24228DPHD/312491726

I found 5 and 10 lb neoprene-coated dumbbells at Walmart by regularly searching online for local availability though it did take a month or so, and I had to drive 45 minutes to another Walmart to get one of the sets. They're inexpensive and solid.

I also splurged on 15 and 25 lb dumbbells from Goldens Cast Iron (we already had 20s). They're very expensive, especially when you include shipping, but dh and I decided to spring for it because everyone in the family will use the equipment and working out has a major impact on all of our mental health. And almost no one has weights in stock right now.

https://www.goldenscastiron.com/cast-iron-weights/

I was salivating over their kettlebells but had exhausted our budget and we wouldn't be able to use them overhead in the basement anyway. Maybe if what we have gets a lot of use I'll eventually spring for kettlebells to store behind the living room couch. 

Last but not least, I picked up some 1.5 and 2.5 lb wrist weights at Target. I think combining these with the dumbbells in 5 lb increments will allow all of us to find the weights we need for different muscle groups and to work up in safe increments. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Oh my, I'm going through the Play It Again Sports website, and the search for our area is very sad, mostly rusted stuff. I would definitely go with the neoprene over those. I hope you have good luck and find something you like! Let us know! :smile:

Our Play it Again Sports has a lot of new stuff.  They said they just weren’t getting a lot of trade ins this year.  Metal dumbbells are $1.49/pound.  Neoprene $2/pound.

• Like 1