Menu

Favorite stock stuffers - ages can vary

BlsdMama

Pringles. 

We don't buy these really every besides Christmas. They look forward to them (even hubby!) and I can fill 80% of the stocking with something that costs about $1.49. I try to match person to flavor. Everyone writes their names on the can with Sharpie and then eats them over the following week.

I think I got this idea from the forum. I think it saved stockings in our household because they were getting too expensive. I realized I was easily spending $10+/stocking on small junkie things and that ended up being $70 for our family and that was too much given how long it was used.

• Like 9

Toothbrushes! This is the one time the kids get character toothbrushes, and they love it. DH gets a year worth of replacement heads for his electric toothbrush, which is not quite as exciting but practical.  Also dollar bandaids, because we are still very much in the bandaids as stickers and essential accessories phase.

I love doing stockings.  This year stockings are my gift to all out of town family.  I’m sending their boxes to their spouse to do the stuffing, and then we’ll have a family zoom opening. I can’t wait!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

We generally do consumables in stockings. A drink and candy/snack. I don't buy sodas for the house except special occasions so it is very special for them to get one. Wal-Mart still has 50c cans too. Everyone usually gets a thing of chapstick, which is handy going into the winter. The girls got nail polish and ds a lighter (why he wants one is beyond me but fire is cool).

I got dh a bag of pretzels and chocolate for his (which doubles as his gift). He always buys me a few bars of dark chocolate.

Edited by Soror

Right now I have:

these. They are SO soft and squishy! My kids will love them and they’re all out of the stuffed animal phase (kind of)

chocolates—each has a favorite

aaaaannnddd....that’s it😳 I’ll be following this thread for sure!

Last year I did some book lights that were a big hit (amazon Black Friday deal), and one year we did head lamps, but those things last so not needed again. I usually put some of those pocket hand warmers in too. Maybe a small gift card...I need to get busy! 

I might get them (or one of them) this. It smells amazing and they’re teen/tween boys, soooo.... I prefer my whole house to not smell like Axe😂

• Like 3

I was just thinking that this will be hard this year as I am not shopping in person.  Even simple things that we usually do like toothbrushes, how do I get distinct colors for everyone? 

I ordered some treats from Aldi. I wish their website would show ingredient lists, but I think I found items that will work for our house. They should be delivered today. If they don't work, then I have great neighbor gifts.

I do have one fun stocking find for each kid, a Rubik's cube style ornament shaped like an evergreen tree.  It's too simple for their skills, but I thought an ornament will remind us of these speed cubing years.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Acorn said:

I was just thinking that this will be hard this year as I am not shopping in person.  Even simple things that we usually do like toothbrushes, how do I get distinct colors for everyone? 

I ordered some treats from Aldi. I wish their website would show ingredient lists, but I think I found items that will work for our house. They should be delivered today. If they don't work, then I have great neighbor gifts.

I do have one fun stocking find for each kid, a Rubik's cube style ornament shaped like an evergreen tree.  It's too simple for their skills, but I thought an ornament will remind us of these speed cubing years.

Yes! My oldest is in the ‘speed cubing years’ as well! 😂This past year he’s all about cubes. Most of his Christmas list is made up of cubes and cube gear. I don’t get it, but at least it’s a productive use of time!

13 minutes ago, Acorn said:

Have you tried Walgreens? They have free ship over $35 and you can choose toothbrush colors there, or multi packs. I’ve always found Walgreens to be great for stocking stuffers in general, too. Toothbrush covers, lip conditioners, hand lotions, body wash, shave stuff, razors, gum, chocolate, etc. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My kids LOVE the teeny-tiny Nutella jars that Target always has in the stocking stuffer section. 

Dried fruit and coconut strips from Trader Joe's (they won't get these this year because the line to get in TJ's is always long/outdoors now). 

My girls are getting Simpl Dimpl fidgets from FatBrainToys, as well as an Isoflex stress ball (found at 5Below). 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, math teacher said:

Candy-a stocking full of candy. It's like a second Halloween except he's too old for trick or treating. Which reminds me, I need to order the aplets and cotlets, which we've done every year since we read Narnia.

Whoa Math teacher—will you share where you buy them from?? 

DH and I grew up in totally different parts of the country but both fondly remember aplets and cotlets. We've never seen them as adults though and I would LOVE to surprise him with some! 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, math teacher said:

... Which reminds me, I need to order the aplets and cotlets, which we've done every year since we read Narnia.

I’ve never heard of aplets and cotlets so googled. Judging by appearance and ingredients it appears to be loukoum (albeit with different flavors than I know). Is that accurate?

Edited by bibiche

Christmas isn’t Christmas without Niederegger marzipan in our stockings and under the tree.

It’s made in my mother’s hometown in Germany and has been a holiday tradition for my entire life. When I was a kid, my grandparents would send us a box full of the most delectable, beautiful marzipan and nougat every Christmas. Just seeing that shipping box with foreign stamps and my grandmothers old fashioned handwriting under the tree was a thrill—and knowing exactly what was in it made it all the more tantalizing. We kids didn’t know them well—this was the ‘70’s and international travel didn’t happen frequently— but that box, with treats inside picked out specially for us and beautifully wrapped— was so meaningful. As musicians, they didn’t have much money and we knew their gift to us was a big splurge. That box held inside a love like nothing else.

https://www.niederegger.de/en/marzipan/

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 10

1 minute ago, bibiche said:

I’ve never heard of aplets and cotlets so googled. Judging by appearance and ingredients it appears to be loukoum (albeit with different flavors than I know). Is that accurate?

LOL, I read this and thought: idk what loukoum is but I think it looks like Turkish Delight. 

😂 (Then I googled.)

• Haha 4

chocolate orange, candy coins, Pirouline cookies (I've always bought the $1 tins, but this year Walmart also has 98 cent boxes), hot chocolate packets, gummy bears, kinder egg, lip balm, a couple of small toys or gadgets, and as many additional candies and snacks as needed to completely fill the stocking.  

In past years the stockings also held AMC gift cards.  Since movie theaters are not an option right now I spent a bit more on the toys than usual.  The children are each getting D&D dice and a nano drone.  Dh is getting a hanayama puzzle and his own nano drone.  

For those going into stores, Cracker Barrel usually has a great selection of nostalgic candies and snacks.  

53 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

LOL, I read this and thought: idk what loukoum is but I think it looks like Turkish Delight. 

😂 (Then I googled.)

I read the Narnia books as an adult and had no idea what Turkish Delight was - I think I thought it was some invented confection. I think in a discussion with DH I finally realized that it was what I know as loukoum. 

• Like 1

I always put in expansion packs for our favorite games.  Often Munchkin legend because they have tons of hilarious packs of 20 add on cards. 

We also do consumable foods.  This year I got boxes of British candy bars for the kids and exotic jerky for DH.  Any treat they wouldn't normally get is fun.

• Like 1

Candy, of course.  For us, this is a big deal.  We order from No Whey, so it’s nut free, dairy free, and basically free of everything - but pricey.  It’s the one time the kids get things like little candy bars or m ‘n ms.  Food allergies are the bane of my existence!

Stockings are my absolute favorite thing to do, so we have an overflow area, too. We have ridiculously large stockings, too.  Oops.

This year there will be art supplies (special, coveted pens), book lights, eye masks for sleeping, various holiday themed little gifties from Ulta (this varies, but I got a ton of little items a while back), themed bandaids, little toys and puzzles.  Last year there was a spinning golden snitch - huge hit.  I need to find a small Shakespearean insult type item, too.  Usually we do some Lego type things (small kits or mini-figs).

DH - I need ideas for him.  I usually throw in some massage oil with a promise of a shoulder rub, candy that he likes, and suddenly I can’t remember anything else!

Elderly mom will be getting warm grippy socks, lotions, scissors, pliers, and some various sugar free candies.  (The pliers are for her artwork.)

• Like 3

This might sound crazy, but what’s a chocolate orange? I see that every year on a thread like this and I really don’t know what it is or have ever seen one in the stores. I tried googling but it looks like it’s really orange flavored chocolate? Someone give me a link so I can figure out if our stockings need this item!😁

9 hours ago, Soror said:

We generally do consumables in stockings. A drink and candy/snack. I don't buy sodas for the house except special occasions so it is very special for them to get one. Wal-Mart still has 50c cans too. Everyone usually gets a thing of chapstick, which is handy going into the winter. The girls got nail polish and ds a lighter (why he wants one is beyond me but fire is cool).

I got dh a bag of pretzels and chocolate for his (which doubles as his gift). He always buys me a few bars of dark chocolate.

I like the soda idea!  My teens will be thrilled 

14 minutes ago, mmasc said:

This might sound crazy, but what’s a chocolate orange? I see that every year on a thread like this and I really don’t know what it is or have ever seen one in the stores. I tried googling but it looks like it’s really orange flavored chocolate? Someone give me a link so I can figure out if our stockings need this item!😁

https://smile.amazon.com/Terrys-Milk-Dark-Chocolate-Oranges/dp/B01N65ZJBG/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1KSV19WQZU9EF&dchild=1&keywords=terrys+chocolate+orange&qid=1606261298&sprefix=Terrys+%2Caps%2C249&sr=8-2

• Thanks 1

We have huge stockings that my grandmother made. There are always t-shirts in all but mine. Pringles in one, cheetos in another. Other favorite snacks too. Gift cards. Mine usually has Bath and Body Works stuff, always chocolate, and other odds and ends. 

My kids like small denomination gift cards to places like Taco Bell, donut shops, etc.

I am googling stocking stuffers on Vitacost and ran across roll-on natural perfume: https://www.vitacost.com/pacifica-perfume-roll-on-persian-rose

Burt's Bees often has small tins of their products.

I would love to get soap savers for all of my soap dishes (we use bar soap).

French-milled soap. 

We never forget gold chocolate coins. Dh tried to do without those one year...that didn't go over well.

In addition to the usual chapstick, candy, socks and such I buy a box of holiday flavor tea - a different box for each child. We're big tea drinkers so this is a fun way for them to get ones that are seasonal. Each kid also gets a new (to them...I shop thrift stores) pillowcase as they also get a new pillow on New Year's Eve.

Funny story: One year dh found tins filled with candy in the shape/size of Wii controllers (when the Wii was still new on the market and no way could we afford one). Our oldest ds pulled his tin out and freaked out thinking it was a real controller. We had a good laugh when he realized it was only a candy tin. The other 4 kids pulled out their candy tins with more laughter at the joke. Then oldest ds noticed one of his younger sisters holding her "tin" only it wouldn't open. We have pix of his face when he looked closer and realized it was a real controller...grandparents had bought a Wii system. That was awesome.

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

3 hours ago, kand said:

You might already know this, but you can get Niederegger marzipan delivered from World Market. I did curbside pick up for mine this year, because not everything is available for shipping.

Thanks! That’s where we get it now, unless someone in the family travels to Europe over the summer and brings some back. As a kid it wasn’t available here, so it was extra extra special. 🙂 

• Like 1

It varies by year, depending in ages and what I find deals on. 

Useful items-, gloves, belt, socks, lip balm,  tooth brushes, jewelry,  wallet, soaps,  razors,  earbuds, sippy cups or water bottles- personalized, watch, pocket knife, hair clips or fun accessories - I think my girls are getting Wet Brushes this year, alarm clock, pretty night light, succulent planters, one year i got DD decorative knows for her dresser,  flashlights, hats, 

Something fun- puzzles, pens, water colors (Hobby Lobby has some metallic ones my kids love!), movies or video games, books, calligraphy set, cute cookie cutters, cupcake cups and decorations, nail polish, make up- eye pallet, Nerf bullets, string lights, 

Toys, often taken out of the package to fit- small Lego kits,  card games, My Little Pony, Imaginext, Playmobil, Schleich or similar figures,  play food, play doh, Barbie, Magic 8 Ball,

• Like 1

When my daughter was growing up, I would often shop the sales after holidays. Since chocolate is big in our house, this would lead to things such as 

Chocolate Valentine's reindeer

Chocolate Easter hearts

Chocolate ghosts and turkeys might show up in stockings

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

We only do stockings. Some favorites include national newspaper gift subscriptions, socks, disposable feet and hand warmers, hot sauce and other favorite specialty condiments, favorite candies, balls (tennis for the dog and others depending on preferred sport), sports gloves (varies depending in sport of choice), nice face, foot, or hand lotion, small specialty sports equipment, special pens and/or ink, lip balm, thin gloves for everyday winter wear, books, small tools, batteries, restaurant gift cards, and favorite snack items. Scotch tape and fruit are family traditions. Our stockings are fairly small, so we sometimes need small side bags.

7 hours ago, mmasc said:

It is orange flavored chocolate, but more or less in the shape of an orange. You smash it on the floor or the table and then unwrap it and eat the "orange segments".

It is probably not ethically sourced chocolate.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

This year, I think I'm going to put in some of those eyeglass wipes that help prevent fogging for those of us who wear glasses. I'm going to make sure I include myself! I end up fiddling with my mask nose wire a lot to try to stop the fogging up.

Great idea! How long do the glasses remain fog-free?

11 hours ago, Kareni said:

When my daughter was growing up, I would often shop the sales after holidays. Since chocolate is big in our house, this would lead to things such as 

Chocolate Valentine's reindeer

Chocolate Easter hearts

Chocolate ghosts and turkeys might show up in stockings

Regards,

Kareni

I love this so much!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaybee said:

This year, I think I'm going to put in some of those eyeglass wipes that help prevent fogging for those of us who wear glasses. I'm going to make sure I include myself! I end up fiddling with my mask nose wire a lot to try to stop the fogging up.

I need this!!!  I had forgotten that it existed but the cold plus mask means I can barely see!

• Like 2

Everyone has a food item I never buy except for the stockings: Jif peanut butter, Pop Tarts, Fruit Loops.  Used to buy razors, shave cream, deodorant, and other toiletries.  When I was a kid we got those little boxes of raisins.

Phone stands https://smile.amazon.com/Lamicall-Cell-Phone-Stand-Dock/dp/B01HPI5AM2/ref=sr_1_5?crid=GR11L97AHIHD&dchild=1&keywords=phone+stands+and+holders+for+desk&qid=1606314647&sprefix=phone+stands%2Caps%2C195&sr=8-5

M&M item-candy or mug or whatever was out each year.  The boys loved rolls of duct tape.

Candy coated sunflower seeds from Trader Joes were a staple for years, but they haven't had them the last few years

Kids are all young adults now, so new items.  Cute dish towels and cloths, wooden spoons, those Pampered Chef scrappers, hand made soaps, necklaces, those survival bracelets for the guys, flashlights, bottle openers with their initial or something  

Dad gets sugar free hard candy, sardines, herring, unusual fruit, Sudoku/Crossword puzzle books.  

Make up remover wipes, make up brushes or such,  fancy bags of coffee or favorite tea, coffee shop gift cards (my favorite! haha)

wikki stix, slinky

Edited by Tina

On 11/24/2020 at 8:28 AM, EmilyGF said:

Pringles. 

We don't buy these really every besides Christmas. They look forward to them (even hubby!) and I can fill 80% of the stocking with something that costs about $1.49. I try to match person to flavor. Everyone writes their names on the can with Sharpie and then eats them over the following week.

I think I got this idea from the forum. I think it saved stockings in our household because they were getting too expensive. I realized I was easily spending $10+/stocking on small junkie things and that ended up being $70 for our family and that was too much given how long it was used.

We do this too, right down to the sharpies! The only time of year I buy pringles. We also do some of those little boxes of cereal. Oh and scotch tape. Everyone gets their own roll of scotch tape, which sounds crazy, but we always have some when we need it! Oh and cans or bottles of pop. We don't drink pop at home, so this is a big deal. Last year, 6 packs of bottles were on sale real cheap so each got their own 6 pack, one of my boys had finished his before the week was out, one of my daughters proudly drank her last one in July!

I sewed my own stockings when oldest was 1, and I made them too big, haha! It seemed like a good idea at a time.

• Like 1