Menu

Closest snow to San Antonio?

Slache

We were hoping to go with Colorado in the spring and do a bunch of fun stuff, but between the plague and the effect the plague has had on our finances it's not going to happen. I would still like to take a weekend in the snow just to sled and make snowballs so where can we do that? I'd like to keep it under a 10 hour drive.

44 minutes ago, Slache said:

We were hoping to go with Colorado in the spring and do a bunch of fun stuff, but between the plague and the effect the plague has had on our finances it's not going to happen. I would still like to take a weekend in the snow just to sled and make snowballs so where can we do that? I'd like to keep it under a 10 hour drive.

When I lived in San Antonio, the tiny elementary school I taught at rented a snow machine for a day every year for a snow day.  It was awesome.  I know that's expensive, but this was a tiny, poor elementary school, so probably not all THAT expensive.  

I doubt there's anything closer than 12 hours, honestly.  

• Like 2

It really depends upon the winter and how much snow various areas get that season.  Earlier this week, I heard that Angel Fire had not really had any snow to speak of yet. Places in New Mexico will usually be the closest to San Antonio.  Sometimes there are places in Texas that will get a lot snow, but not necessarily the "rent a cabin and go sledding" kind of snow or terrain..  DH lived in Lubbock before moving to Canada, and said he had more snow/cold weather living in Lubbock than he did the three years he was in Canada.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Terabith said:

When I lived in San Antonio, the tiny elementary school I taught at rented a snow machine for a day every year for a snow day.  It was awesome.  I know that's expensive, but this was a tiny, poor elementary school, so probably not all THAT expensive.  

Along these lines, people in my neighborhood buy snowballs for the kids in January from Bahama Bucks and they have a snowball fight. It's great fun for all the neighbors!

Let me ask my kids. I think there's a place in New Mexico that a lot of people in my neighborhood go skiing. I think it's only any 8 or 9 hours from San Antonio. It really depends on the weather, though. 

• Like 1

Sorry, but driving 10 hours to play in the snow for a weekend is just nuts. Find the closest indoor hockey rink and play in the ice scrapings from the Zamboni if it's actually snow you need.

There must be fun things to do closer to home for a much more relaxing weekend. Give your head a shake, woman. You have 4 young children. 🤪 😄 Sitting in a car for 10 hr one way, get all cold and wet in some frozen water, and then 10 hr home again is bonkers. Snow isn't worth it. Just get some ice cream. More fun and way more relaxing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Sorry, but driving 10 hours to play in the snow for a weekend is just nuts. Find the closest indoor hockey rink and play in the ice scrapings from the Zamboni if it's actually snow you need.

There must be fun things to do closer to home for a much more relaxing weekend. Give your head a shake, woman. You have 4 young children. 🤪 😄 Sitting in a car for 10 hr one way, get all cold and wet in some frozen water, and then 10 hr home again is bonkers. Snow isn't worth it. Just get some ice cream. More fun and way more relaxing. 

Yeah, I didn't realize you have a baby and a four year old.  Honestly, while I remember how desperate my kids were to see snow when we lived in San Antonio, driving that far is kind of insane.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wilrunner3 said:

Along these lines, people in my neighborhood buy snowballs for the kids in January from Bahama Bucks and they have a snowball fight. It's great fun for all the neighbors!

Let me ask my kids. I think there's a place in New Mexico that a lot of people in my neighborhood go skiing. I think it's only any 8 or 9 hours from San Antonio. It really depends on the weather, though. 

Ruidoso is the place many people I know go.

As far as the drive with young kids, my kids (infant and 3 year old) did fine with back to back long drives. If my kids hasn't seen snow and we needed a big diversion, I might have considered it, too.

San Antonio still feels like summer right now with temps in the mid 70's and 80's. I can see the allure of someplace cold for a little while.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Slache said:

I just want something that doesn't feel risky. We've done nothing since March. My kids love the snow and haven't seen it in years. I'm aiming for Ruidoso in February.

I get it. My kids and I are feeling 'cabin feverish' as well. Keep in mind that sitting in a car for hours and hours is pretty much 'doing nothing' as far as the kids are concerned. Aren't there hiking trails, parks, or some other outdoor venues closer to home you can enjoy? Alternatively, sand has a lot of similar qualities as snow, and if a beach is closer you could do a lot of 'snow' activities in sand, like making snow angels, using a sled down a sand dune. 

Ski resorts in New Mexico are probably your best bet, but there has been very little natural snow yet. However, New Mexico some of the tightest Covid restrictions of any state. Anyone from out of state is supposed to quarantine for 14 days. There are restrict on hotel and vacation rental capacity along with restrictions on capacity at ski resorts and other business which has resulted in limited ticket availability at the ski resorts  and increasing prices. Hospitals in rural areas are at capacity, and the bigger city hospitals are not any better. 
So, I would not recommend trying to travel to New Mexico this winter

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

I get it. My kids and I are feeling 'cabin feverish' as well. Keep in mind that sitting in a car for hours and hours is pretty much 'doing nothing' as far as the kids are concerned. Aren't there hiking trails, parks, or some other outdoor venues closer to home you can enjoy? Alternatively, sand has a lot of similar qualities as snow, and if a beach is closer you could do a lot of 'snow' activities in sand, like making snow angels, using a sled down a sand dune. 

I feel like this underestimates the wonder of snow to a kid who has never seen it, or wasn't old enough to remember the last time they saw it.

I lived in Australia as a young child.  One of my strongest memories is of a trip we took to the snowy mountains, and how amazing it was.  I don't remember how we got there, or how long we stayed but I 100% remember the snow. And for a kid who was at the beach every weekend, I can say that it wasn't remotely the same.   I remember a similar experiences with my goddaughter from the midwest in reverse.  She'd seen plenty of snow.  The ocean blew her away. 

I feel like there are a handful of things in nature that you just can't imagine if you're a child who hasn't experienced them. Mountains, the ocean, and snow are probably at the top of the list.  We're really lucky that we have all 3 within a few hours here, but I'd probably drive 10 hours to give my kids one of those.

Having said that, I'm staying far away from public bathrooms during covid, so unless I had a plan for making this trip without one, I'd wait. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

I feel like this underestimates the wonder of snow to a kid who has never seen it, or wasn't old enough to remember the last time they saw it.

I lived in Australia as a young child.  One of my strongest memories is of a trip we took to the snowy mountains, and how amazing it was.  I don't remember how we got there, or how long we stayed but I 100% remember the snow. And for a kid who was at the beach every weekend, I can say that it wasn't remotely the same.   I remember a similar experiences with my goddaughter from the midwest in reverse.  She'd seen plenty of snow.  The ocean blew her away. 

I feel like there are a handful of things in nature that you just can't imagine if you're a child who hasn't experienced them. Mountains, the ocean, and snow are probably at the top of the list.  We're really lucky that we have all 3 within a few hours here, but I'd probably drive 10 hours to give my kids one of those.

Having said that, I'm staying far away from public bathrooms during covid, so unless I had a plan for making this trip without one, I'd wait. 

I do understand the 'miracle of snow' as it were, and its unique characteristics. Even I get super excited when the first snow comes, and I've lived with show for 53 years. I'm a skier, snowshoe enthusiast, and have made and slept in shelters from snow caves, igloos and quinzhee snow forts.

These are crazy times, however, and travelling that far with young children seems like too much risk for the possible gain.

6 hours ago, Slache said:

I just want something that doesn't feel risky. We've done nothing since March. My kids love the snow and haven't seen it in years. I'm aiming for Ruidoso in February.

We went to Cloud Croft in June, and it's lovely (near Ruidoso). Stayed in an AirBnB or VRBO cabin, which was awesome, and the town is all walkable, nice hiking trails right near town that feel like you're out and about, etc. 

And I get it; everyone has different levels of "weekend road trip" -- my family happily drives 8 hrs one way for a day at "a good beach." 

Enjoy your trip! 

8 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I do understand the 'miracle of snow' as it were, and its unique characteristics. Even I get super excited when the first snow comes, and I've lived with show for 53 years. I'm a skier, snowshoe enthusiast, and have made and slept in shelters from snow caves, igloos and quinzhee snow forts.

These are crazy times, however, and travelling that far with young children seems like too much risk for the possible gain.

I share the covid concerns, I'd probably wait a year.

We moved to Virginia from San Antonio when my oldest was almost 4.  The first time they saw snow, which they had been looking forward to for ages, was wondrous.  

And then they touched it.  The look of absolute betrayal on their face...”But it’s COLD!  And....wet!”  

They were eventually won over but that first moment was so disappointing.  

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Terabith said:

We moved to Virginia from San Antonio when my oldest was almost 4.  The first time they saw snow, which they had been looking forward to for ages, was wondrous.  

And then they touched it.  The look of absolute betrayal on their face...”But it’s COLD!  And....wet!”  

They were eventually won over but that first moment was so disappointing.  

I recommend practicing with ice cream, then go on to eating nice fresh snow. 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, City Mouse said:

Ski resorts in New Mexico are probably your best bet, but there has been very little natural snow yet. However, New Mexico some of the tightest Covid restrictions of any state. Anyone from out of state is supposed to quarantine for 14 days. There are restrict on hotel and vacation rental capacity along with restrictions on capacity at ski resorts and other business which has resulted in limited ticket availability at the ski resorts  and increasing prices. Hospitals in rural areas are at capacity, and the bigger city hospitals are not any better. 
So, I would not recommend trying to travel to New Mexico this winter

I was going to say basically the same thing. Who knows what it will be like in February, but right now and for the past few months, New Mexico has not been welcoming of out-of-state travelers, so I wouldn’t count on it as a destination.