Menu

Knives as gift questions

Chris in VA

Dd would like "knives for cooking" for Xmas. I looked at Henkel and wow. Expensive. 

I am willing to buy her two knives and spend about $125. Gulp. 

So, a chef's knife and a paring knife? Brands? I know, I could get a block of knives but I do think I'd like to get her something she can use a long time that is nice...just not "one knife for $300" nice. 

I love my Cutco knives. I've had mine for over 20 years now. I've sent them in to be sharpened a time or two and when I sent one in that had a broken tip, they sent me a brand new knife. Great customer service.

This paring knife is $67

https://www.cutco.com/products/product.jsp?item=paring-knife

And this one is $69

https://www.cutco.com/products/product.jsp?item=4-inch-paring-knife

You could probably search for better deals on them though. 

• Like 2

Williams Sonoma has some deals this time of year. 

I use my chef's knife and short chef's knife the most personally...but if I only had 2, I'd need a parking knife too. 

I like my Wusthof classic. The blade runs the full length of the handle.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/products/wusthof-gourmet-2-piece-chef-utility-knife-set/?pkey=cknife-sets

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chris in VA said:

a chef's knife and a paring knife?

I agree you can find those as a set on Black Friday deals. Wusthoff is also quite good. Yes Williams Sonoma, but also just Macys, amazon, ebay. I buy knives all over. You might find an online knife shop with deals. 

If you want to get the price down, well what is this person expecting? Many people get a chicago cutlery set when they get married and that's it their whole lives. Kind of normal, moderately good, just no weight in the handles (if they're wood) to make them function more easily. What does she cut a lot of? If she cuts a lot of vegetables, you might consider a *santoku* instead of a chef's knife. You should be able to get that for around $70 with a deal. Then get an *inexpensive* set of paring knives. I have nice ones, mid grade ones, $10 plastic sets, and I love 'em ALL. 

https://www.amazon.com/Henckels-International-10699-001-Accessories-Multi-Colored/dp/B0046NENR8/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=paring+knife+set&qid=1606133613&sr=8-7  Here's a Henkel's plastic paring knife set. I have this and LOVE it. The bomb, use constantly.

https://www.amazon.com/Mac-Knife-SK-65-Superior-Santoku/dp/B0006MM4RE/ref=sxin_9?ascsubtag=amzn1.osa.7bc726df-675c-4715-bffa-55c7319260c5.ATVPDKIKX0DER.en_US&creativeASIN=B0006MM4RE&cv_ct_cx=santoku&cv_ct_id=amzn1.osa.7bc726df-675c-4715-bffa-55c7319260c5.ATVPDKIKX0DER.en_US&cv_ct_pg=search&cv_ct_we=asin&cv_ct_wn=osp-single-source-gl-ranking&dchild=1&keywords=santoku&linkCode=oas&pd_rd_i=B0006MM4RE&pd_rd_r=22b87330-bb64-41e1-afa0-914af5702ed7&pd_rd_w=GHtTK&pd_rd_wg=bUf1f&pf_rd_p=f78282ee-db56-4d41-99a2-17abf93837bc&pf_rd_r=CPFP28FZW84TPG4AKP9Y&qid=1606133665&sr=1-3-d9dc7690-f7e1-44eb-ad06-aebbef559a37&tag=atkamznsearch-20  Check, but I think this mid-price santoku by Mac is an America's Test Kitchen top recommendation. 

With those two, you'd still be around $90. If you have more to spend, maybe look for a pair of kitchen shears. What I did when I was newly married but wanting to expand was I bought one of those knife sets that goes on sale for like $10, gave away the knives, and kept the scissors and knife block to use with my special knives I was collecting. Of course, I'm saying that, and I have friends who have one of those knife sets and like them a lot! You might go to Walmart and find something she'd really like at a good price range. But if you're wanting to collect, that's an affordable way to get a knife block. Having kitchen shears that can go in the dw is great.

https://www.amazon.com/J-HENCKELS-INTERNATIONAL-Kitchen-Shears/dp/B000VXG7LW/ref=sxin_9?ascsubtag=amzn1.osa.acf20730-d28a-48f2-806f-cc213c68becb.ATVPDKIKX0DER.en_US&creativeASIN=B000VXG7LW&cv_ct_cx=kitchen+shears&cv_ct_id=amzn1.osa.acf20730-d28a-48f2-806f-cc213c68becb.ATVPDKIKX0DER.en_US&cv_ct_pg=search&cv_ct_we=asin&cv_ct_wn=osp-single-source-gl-ranking&dchild=1&keywords=kitchen+shears&linkCode=oas&pd_rd_i=B000VXG7LW&pd_rd_r=45ed5c68-06a1-4ff5-af48-a1eebfa01e2d&pd_rd_w=KLEQ2&pd_rd_wg=0RWQV&pf_rd_p=f78282ee-db56-4d41-99a2-17abf93837bc&pf_rd_r=NMP8KZ52B7QARQXM41HV&qid=1606133903&sr=1-2-d9dc7690-f7e1-44eb-ad06-aebbef559a37&tag=atkamznsearch-20  These are coming in at $12 with the coupon and recommended by America's Test Kitchen.

ATK has listings on amazon (where they doubtless get kickbacks, haha), so you can see what they're listing. There's a brand of knives (Victorinox?) that they often recommend that have a midgrade, lots of pieces, very affordable. I'm pretty sure I have some of those paring knives and like them.

Don't feel the need to go matchy on knives. Eclectic can be really neat in a knife block. I have given my dd F. Dick knives over the years, because she has BIG HANDS. The handles are all different, so it just makes an interesting mix in the block. The most $$$ way is to say they all have to match.

Edited by PeterPan

26 minutes ago, LifeLovePassion said:

I like my Wusthof classic.

If op can get to a store to put her hands on some of the knives, that might give her a sense too. I'm with you that I like the classic and not the gourmet from wusthof. I don't prefer henkels knives, don't feel good in my hands. I don't think anything she'll buy will be a bad choice, but she'll have opinions if she goes into a store like William Sonoma and handles them, definitely.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

I have nothing to say about fancy knives. I’d like some myself for Christmas.

On knives as a gift, my first thought was about a superstition some people around here have that if you give someone a knife as a gift, you should have them “buy” them from you by giving you a penny, so it isn’t technically a gift. If you give them as a gift, it will “cut your friendship”. So at my wedding shower, a lady from DH’s church gave me some knives, but I had to find a penny to give her first. I had never heard of it before that.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Emba said:

On knives as a gift, my first thought was about a superstition some people around here have that if you give someone a knife as a gift, you should have them “buy” them from you by giving you a penny, so it isn’t technically a gift. If you give them as a gift, it will “cut your friendship”. So at my wedding shower, a lady from DH’s church gave me some knives, but I had to find a penny to give her first. I had never heard of it before that.

My mom follows that superstition,  which I think she got from her dad, so likely German in origin...

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Emba said:

This is what I was thinking of.  My husbands grandmother is hard to buy for and her knives were so blunt I suggested it but he said no and explained that knives as gifts means cutting the friendship although I’ve never heard that another the penny.

• Like 1

F. Dick knives are decent (standard culinary school issue) and less expensive than many other brands. A chef’s knife and a paring knife can do everything she needs to do. I prefer a smaller (8”) blade length for the chef’s knife. Choose forged rather than stamped. https://www.knifemerchant.com/products.asp?manufacturerID=3

There are also less expensive options (standard restaurant takes-a-beating knives) but they aren’t as attractive as Dick knives. You could have a look at restaurant supply catalogs online. Dexter Russell sanisafe brand is fine, as is Victorinox. These are stamped and not forged, but sturdy, practical, professional knives and good if aesthetics are not important.

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, bibiche said:

F. Dick knives are decent (standard culinary school issue) and less expensive than many other brands. A chef’s knife and a paring knife can do everything she needs to do. I prefer a smaller blade length for the chef’s knife.

There are also less expensive options (standard restaurant takes-a-beating knives) but they aren’t as attractive as Dick knives. You could have a look at restaurant supply catalogs online. 

F. Dick makes different lines.

https://www.amazon.com/F-Dick-ProDynamic-Chef-Knife/dp/B078X1R223/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=f.+dick+knives&qid=1606143855&sr=8-4  Something like this is (from what I've read) what they'd use in culinary school. 

https://www.amazon.com/F-Premier-Granton-Edged-Santoku/dp/B07XCYL6FL/ref=sr_1_50?dchild=1&keywords=f.+dick+knives&qid=1606143855&sr=8-50  These are what I was buying my dd to fit her large hands, but they're not the right pricepoint.

Edited by PeterPan

I would look at the Zwilling site for some Black Friday or sale deals. ZWILLING Pro 7-inch Chef's Knife | Official ZWILLING Shop  They have this Chef's knife on sale for $60 (Regularly $170) and this paring knife ZWILLING Pro 4-inch Paring Knife | Official ZWILLING Shop for $50--which would be about your price range for 2 knives.

I have ordered Zwilling (and Henckels and Staub) from their site.  I have ordered "sale" and "seconds" and have never been disappointed.  Their customer service has been great.

I also have a Wusthoff knife that I like.  

If you get her nice knives a gift for another time, if she doesn't have one, is a good knife sharpener.  Sharp knives make all of the different in the world. 

• Like 1

This is the knife that is my "go to knife" --it is the knife that I will wash and reuse before getting another knife out.  It is especially good for cutting apples, pears, onions, carrots, potatoes, and celery.  The broad blade doesn't get "lost" in the apple and it is great for picking up the pieces (using the non-sharp side so as to not dull the knife).  It is also great for mashing garlic.  

5" Hollow Edge Nakiri - 4193-7/13 – Wüsthof (wusthof.com)

If to her, cooking means a lot of slicing and dicing of fruits and veggies, this one knife is better than a collection of other knives, IMO.  I could get by with this knife, a meat knife and a good bread knife.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

This is the knife that is my "go to knife" --it is the knife that I will wash and reuse before getting another knife out.  It is especially good for cutting apples, pears, onions, carrots, potatoes, and celery.  The broad blade doesn't get "lost" in the apple and it is great for picking up the pieces (using the non-sharp side so as to not dull the knife).  It is also great for mashing garlic.  

If to her, cooking means a lot of slicing and dicing of fruits and veggies, this one knife is better than a collection of other knives, IMO.  I could get by with this knife, a meat knife and a good bread knife.

I just got this after a board thread! It's fun. You can sometimes find it paired with the full size santoku. 

7 hours ago, Emba said:

7 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

My mom follows that superstition,  which I think she got from her dad, so likely German in origin...

7 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

This is what I was thinking of.  My husbands grandmother is hard to buy for and her knives were so blunt I suggested it but he said no and explained that knives as gifts means cutting the friendship although I’ve never heard that another the penny.

Chinese too. Giving the person gifting the knife a penny/cent makes it a business transaction so nullifying the superstition. We aren’t allowed to give scissors or anything with blades. The blade part signify a cutting of relationship (一刀两断 meaning relationship is ended)

• Like 2

there are two lines of henckles.     (we had a couple henckles we replaced with wusthof.)

Chicago Cutlery has much more affordable knives, good blades.  we have the ones with walnut handles. I actually got my dd a 12" Chicago slicer. (RB12S)  They don't make it anymore, only the 10", sometimes 10" isn't long enough.   I found a good 12" on ebay.  I'm so tempted to get a 10" chicago chef (44S). . . (but, I have the wusthofs.  . and a santuku - love them.  I really don't need it.)

oh - the knife was because dh had left his somewhere and wanted it replaced.  It was found - so I gave the replacement to dd.  when we got the wusthof, I thought we'd get rid of the chicagos. . . . nope.  still have them.  Still use them.  Some things I prefer them.

Does she have good utility knives?  I'd get one with the Chef's knife if she doesn't.

eta: some of dh's Chicago Cutlery (walnut handle) - are 50 years old.  He sharpens knives (Chef's Choice). So, these 50 year old knives - still have a very sharp edge.  blade is the full length of the handle.  Doesn't hold the edge quite as well as a wusthof, but still good. Never put knives in a dishwasher.

Edited by gardenmom5

12 hours ago, Bootsie said:

Agree with all of this! I have 7 or 8 Wusthof knives and I use the Nakiri more than all the others combined.  It's by FAR the best knife I've ever owned for fruits & vegetables. If I could have only 1 knife, this would be it. ❤️  Wish I'd bought it years ago! 

• Like 2

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083Y587M4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

This Henckle knife block set is $99 for Black Friday. It's not their top of the line set, but would be a nice set that should last a long time. Some reviews complain of rusting, but if she handwashes (as one should do with sharp knives) and dries them immediately, rust should not be an issue. I'm considering getting this set for a wedding gift for my nephew

At cutco.com, you could get her the petite chef knife and add a knife sheath, for a total of$152.

https://www.cutco.com/products/product.jsp?item=petite-chef