Menu

Gift ideas for 8 year old boy?

sweet2ndchance

For various reasons, we haven't celebrated Christmas in years. But we are celebrating this year at ds's request. 

Normally I have a running list in my head but I am just drawing a blank.

He is 7 going on 8. His birthday is the day after New Years. So we are looking for birthday gift ideas too.

He wants a skateboard but we live in the country. On a dirt road. A quarter mile away from the black top. Where the speed limit is 45 miles an hour. The nearest skate park is 45 minutes away. We plan on getting him his first bike as his "from Santa" gift as a compromise. It will be a mountain bike so he can ride it on our property and on the dirt and gravel driveways.

He is a gamer kid, loves video games of all kinds but I'm wanting to stay away from buying him more video games. Maybe some video game inspired toys? He has a lot of Minecraft Legos (and a lot of legos in general) and while he likes Mario, I'm not really keen on getting him the Mario lego sets.

He loves science and science experiments. His current aspiration is to be a scientist when he grows up lol. We have lots of science kits though. I've thought about Snap Circuits but I'm not sure he is ready for that.

He is not reading on his own yet, so while he is getting some books for Christmas (because it used to be a tradition of mine before we stopped celebrating Christmas)  getting him some book series he can't yet read isn't likely to go over well.

He likes board games and card games. We have Uno, Monopoly Jr, Sorry, Candy Land, Connect 4, Battleship and many others. I bought a cribbage board at the thrift store and he is still asking me to teach him how to play lol. I thought about getting him Zingo to help with his word recognition skills. But we have no other kids living at home with us or in the general area to invite over to play. So he would be playing against adults all the time... not sure if Zingo would be a good choice in our situation. Opinions? Other options?

Just need a few more ideas for Christmas/birthday presents that aren't terribly pricey (trying to keep each one under $50ish) and aren't just floor fodder (If anyone gets him more Hot Wheels cars this year, I might scream lol) Speaking of Hot Wheels, what can we slip in his stocking that isn't Hot Wheels lol. Thanks in advance.

Last year my 9 year old got a stocking full of his own tools, which was a big hit.  We have a workbench, but he still liked having things that were his own.  

If he likes strategy games like Battleship, Mancala, checkers, and Mastermind have been a hit here. 

If he is in that stage where he likes stories, but only ones that are too hard for him to read, what about audiobooks?  The Bunnicula audiobooks are wonderful, and were a big hit when my kids were about that age. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, purpleowl said:

My 6.5yo who loves video games also likes t-shirts with favorite game characters.

Maybe a magic tricks book/kit? 

Oh, magic kits! I bet he'd like that!

12 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

Snap Circuits are awesome & he’s  the right age

Audio books 

any GameWright card games in his age range

(zingo is more for preschoolers- my 5 year old is past it)

cool bike helmet 

On the Zingo... he is still struggling to read BOB books. He is in vision therapy and looking into more testing to find out why he struggles so much with reading. He doesn't even score as kindergarten level on word recognition. Would Zingo really be below his level? Are there any other word games that might help a child that struggles with word recognition?

47 minutes ago, sweet2ndchance said:

Oh, magic kits! I bet he'd like that!

On the Zingo... he is still struggling to read BOB books. He is in vision therapy and looking into more testing to find out why he struggles so much with reading. He doesn't even score as kindergarten level on word recognition. Would Zingo really be below his level? Are there any other word games that might help a child that struggles with word recognition?

Ah so maybe the “sight words zingo” version. The original would be too easy/boring.

• Like 1

SET is a game that involves no reading.

Rubik's cube

A juggling set

I second the suggestion of t-shirts.

I also strongly second the suggestion of audio books. Does he have a player of some kind? (CD player or something else appropriate to the format of audio books you select.)

Regards,

Kareni